Photo
- - - - -

Cowboys used Horse Medicine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 20Safety_Hazards

20Safety_Hazards

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,549 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:The War

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Just another reason to hate the cowboys...

Tony Casillas: 1990s Cowboys used medicine meant for horses

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
Posted Image Getty Images
Former Cowboys defensive lineman Tony Casillas says that when the team was winning Super Bowls in the 1990s, players frequently used a medication meant for horses.
Asked on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas about Ray Lewis’s alleged use of a banned substance contained in deer antler spray, Casillas said he doesn’t know about that — but he does know about another substance that was prevalent in the Cowboys’ locker room.
“When I heard about deer antler spray, when I heard that, I said, ‘That’s nothing,’” Casillas said. “We used to use this stuff called DMSO. That’s what veterinarians put on horses, on a muscle, so this is stuff that you can rub, and we used it in the locker room. We had a bottle and you’d take it. It goes straight to the bloodstream. And I’m not sure about this deer antler stuff, but, I mean, it was prevalent in our locker room. It’s called DMSO. You get it from the veterinarian and it goes right to the bloodstream. It’s an ointment that’s like anti-inflammatory. You put it on your skin and you put it on a muscle, and I guarantee you, in about 30 minutes you’d feel it. It wasn’t on the list. If you’re going to talk about the deer antler stuff, we used DMSO and people knew it. Everyone knew about it.”
DMSO is an abbreviation for dimethyl sulfoxide, and although it is rarely mentioned in performance-enhancing drug scandals these days, its use by athletes was the source of some controversies in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1981, then-Falcons quarterback June Jones said he and his teammates regularly used DMSO and argued that it should be legalized for human use. Although veterinarians prescribe DMSO for animals as an anti-inflammatory, the FDA has approved DMSO only for very limited use for people with a chronic bladder condition, and has warned that DMSO is often fraudulently marketed as a miracle drug for humans, and that it has significant side effects.
Casillas noted that “it wasn’t on the list” of substances banned by the NFL, although he also seemed to acknowledge that it was improper for Cowboys players to obtain a prescription from a veterinarian and then use the substance on humans.
“Let’s put it this way: If you’ve got to get it from a veterinarian, it’s probably — it’s kind of like getting Winstrol V, they’ve got to get it from a vet, but that’s a steroid,” he said.
Casillas made his comments in a radio appearance in which he promoted a health center that urges men to get their testosterone levels checked and to take prescription testosterone if their levels are low. But in that case, men are getting testosterone from a medical doctor, not a veterinarian.

#2 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,142 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

They also took horse cawks in the face.

#3 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Miles Austin was born a couple of decades too late. He would've fit right in on those nineties teams on account of his resemblance to a horse.

#4 20Safety_Hazards

20Safety_Hazards

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,549 posts
  • Fan Since:The War

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

So many great Cowboys jokes can be made from that article.

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hard to make fun of the Cowboys from that era, they did nothing but cream the league for 3-4 years.

#6 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,345 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

They also took horse cawks in the face.

Still do, by all accounts.

Hard to make fun of the Cowboys from that era, they did nothing but cream the league for 3-4 years.

No it's not.

#7 ruger45

ruger45

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I used some illegal things too. Big deal!

#8 DalBoyz

DalBoyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:Little Kid

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

So many great Cowboys jokes can be made from that article.

WOW....all I can say is WOW. The e-gal fan base reminds me of hundreds (not millions) hundreds of Romans playing their violins, while their homes are burning down around them. My goodness, you bring this up for what reason...to make fun of them???? THIS WAS THE SAME TEAM THAT WAS YOUR MASTER, your KING, your RULER...THEY DOMINATED YOU!!!! Is this all you can remember: did you forget the sickening feeling your team use to have before walking on the field with their CONQUERS, before a crushing loss? Never mind, your minds will NEVER EVOLVE INTO A MAN-LIKE INTELLECT, IT's POINTLESS....no wonder this team HAS NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL

#9 Eaglesdude55

Eaglesdude55

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

WOW....all I can say is WOW. The e-gal fan base reminds me of hundreds (not millions) hundreds of Romans playing their violins, while their homes are burning down around them. My goodness, you bring this up for what reason...to make fun of them???? THIS WAS THE SAME TEAM THAT WAS YOUR MASTER, your KING, your RULER...THEY DOMINATED YOU!!!! Is this all you can remember: did you forget the sickening feeling your team use to have before walking on the field with their CONQUERS, before a crushing loss? Never mind, your minds will NEVER EVOLVE INTO A MAN-LIKE INTELLECT, IT's POINTLESS....no wonder this team HAS NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL

Yeah...I was actually born in 1992. So alls I have watched is your team implode by your outrageous owner who has no idea how to run a franchise without a good coach and I guess steroids now.

#10 mayanh8

mayanh8

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,437 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

:roll:

Some of the worst ish talk I've read in a while. And, as usual, it's coming from a Cowboys fan.

#11 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

It's been a while since I've seen this poster, but does anyone remember iluvupokes? This has got to be him.

#12 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,142 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's been a while since I've seen this poster, but does anyone remember iluvupokes? This has got to be him.

And IvanCheck or whatever the uk his name was. Exact same posts. Either way, huge queer.

#13 DEagle7

DEagle7

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

your minds will NEVER EVOLVE INTO A MAN-LIKE INTELLECT

I love it when people insult the intelligence of others, while simultaneously butchering the English language. I blame years of inbreeding.