Photo

[News] Report: Jeff Stoutland To Coach O-Line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,785 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

According to a FootballScoop.com report, Alabama offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland will be joining the Eagles in the same capacity under head coach Chip Kelly.

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,680 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Good move.

#3 Cactusjim

Cactusjim

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Now that's a bit of good news.

#4 VA Green

VA Green

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Finally not a Cleveland throw away

#5 Scramz25

Scramz25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I see what Coach is trying to do..If these coaches can get the best out of them when they are in college what's is different if they train and teach them the same but just as they get older they become strongrr men. Most coaches dont get to continue to bring the best out of them because the move on. But imagine if Alabama got to continue to coach those kids until they became men. The same for coach Kelly. He is going to assemble some sort of grown a** men college team that produces bigger stronger college guys. Many of us have said at least once that one of SEC schools could beat the team we had sokr years or beat a NFL TEAM. Well bring the coaches and continue to drill the fundamentals in them as they grow Into men.

#6 eagleswintoday

eagleswintoday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

alabama has a lot of good linemen so now he can coach are linemen up

good move

#7 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Jeez, imagine if we had hired Todd Grantham. We would've had an all-ex-college coaching staff....really hope Chip and Howie know what they're doing. Bring on the draft, I suppose..

#8 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Not a bad addition to solidify the OL as a coach for that unit. There's one caveat though, Kelly is going to want the line to move across the LOS in his run-base system, not only to hold down and anchor in the pass protection, the run is his first and foremost to set up the pass. He used a one-back system most of the time, in college, but I hope he can implement a 2 and 3 backs system into variations of running routes. I know it cuts down the limits of WRs on the field, but one of the backs can be use as a receiver, while the other stands behind/beside the QB, in case the play yields into play-action mode.

Maybe, Foles could perform as a drop-back pocket passer, with some success. My concern is his throwing mechanics and timing, he doesn't need alot of velocity in the short and immediate routes, but he does need to get the ball to the receivers, quickly before the defenders has a chance to deflect or tip it, worst intercepted.

He might be just a project, but I would like to see him step it up a couple of notch or so. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but he's got a really good football IQ, got a taste of playing in the big league and is very young with some good upside. He had some good strides at times, just not enough to warrant much confidence in him.

Another thing, his coming out of college style, entering his first Pro WCO and now into the Read-Option, all in 3 years. That's a lot of changes to go through in a whole season in one system, the next partly in another system and still going through another, maybe he'll do better in the new system or maybe the Pro stocks is just too big and heavy for him. There is the benefit of a doubt and most don't have the patience in confidence.

#9 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

This is a nice move. Coached under the best college football coach in the country. Has turned young talent at the college level into pro talent. This is very positive.

#10 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

I am wondering now that Stoutland is on board if we are going to draft a couple of Alabama Offensive linemen?

#11 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

The # 1 rated player going to the combine is Chance Warmack OG Alabama Grade 95.9 I don't know if he will be there at #4 pick for the Eagles. What way will the Eagles go Offense or Defense?????

#12 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

2timeouts - Unless I am overlooking something (which is entirely possible) The only way the Eagles can make a good turn a round in one year is if we are involved heavily in free agency. Walterfootball.com has recently rated all the upcoming free agents available in this years free agency. I have paid the most attention to the cornerbacks,safeties, and linebackers. I would like us to sign one of each catagory which means three players. That way we would have three veterans to go along with the draft picks we select on defense. Walterfootball doesn't have too much praise for any of the wide receivers in this years free agency so we may have to draft a wide receiver in the later rounds. Not sure what the gameplan is for the offense but if we want to have a better record this year than we had last year a better defense is the way to go.

#13 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Nice move getting this guy. We actually got some wood on this one.

#14 jmac1302

jmac1302

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

This is probably the best staff hire I've seen so far from the Eagles. Coming from the college ranks doesn't bother me when you're talking about a position coach. And if your getting a college coach, you may as well get one from the National Champions who had a beast of an O-line. Very solid hire. To bad the rest have been so iffy and questionable. I'm not feeling very optimistic about the upcoming season SO FAR. Hopefully, the Eagles will make some moves, whether in free agency, draft, or coaching moves, to really give us fans some real hope that they will be able to turn things around. But, it won't be easy after the horrific build ups and let downs we had the last two years.

#15 Eagle_in_ATL

Eagle_in_ATL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I wish this news was good enough to offset the Bill Davis DC hire. Does this mean the last 2 years of drafting smaller, more athletic o-linemen under Mudd has been in vain? Does this mean we are going to play into FA a bit on the O-line side? A lot of questions. Should be a busy offseason. I do wish that these announcements were coming from the Eagles though; not reports from SI, ESPN, etc...