Photo

[News] Coaching Staff In Place To Lead

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
218 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,025 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Chip Kelly sat in his office at the NovaCare Complex outlining what he wanted from each and every one of his coaches: Leadership, energy, intelligence, a great ability to communicate, and a mix of all kinds of football experience ...

View the full article

#2 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Pretty exciting hire of the new DC!

#3 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

bing !

#4 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

it's not as much of a fluffed up praise of davis as i had expected... well done, david ! besides, we have no choice but riding this one, and all the next ones, out.

:p

#5 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,584 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Billy Davis and his Predator D.

#6 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

4-3 Under and coach who is used to adapting to his personnel

#7 Thomas Jackson

Thomas Jackson

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I love Dave's new makeover...extreme improvement.

#8 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

davis will get the best out of players , and thats what we want right ? the best out of these boneheads out there. davis has pro bowlers on his resume. so if he can say or do sumthing that will get 2-3 pro bowlers on our team, then sounds like the man to me. he will be given 2 good years to show some promise. remember something for those ppl who will bash him, he didnt get the job by default. he obviously had a plan and vision the front o liked. there is something with him they liked more than other candidates. its not all about who didnt want the job, especially these niners coaches.

#9 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

>>Lupes: Spuds is picking up his game. Howie Roseman has been seen with Tommy Lawlor.

#10 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

>>del sub: Jim Johnson came aboard the AR staff with similar credentials as Davis. Looking for an improvement in quality of play from the players in 2013...that alone will be a great start. I don't give a rats back end for the scheme; I want to see heart ,guts and toughness. Can some one please tackle like Sheldon Brown? Hit like Byron Evans? stuff plays like Hollis Thomas And defend like Bobby Taylor?

Now, maybe Coach Kelly will get around to setting adrift some of the less stellar names and chronic under performers on the roster.

#11 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Funny how they have a picture of Chip Kelly on the latest video of "Eagles Update: Meet The New Coaching Staff" As though Chip Kelly is giving a press conference to announce the staff and low and behold it's spuds lol

#12 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

>>Shady: the real press would have too many distracting questions. this is a focused message from Pravda

#13 jmac1302

jmac1302

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not many "sexy" picks on this coaching staff. But, for the most part, they are all solid an experienced picks. It'll be interesting to see how well they fit together and what their plans are to improve the team. I was really glad to see that they kept Duce and Ted Williams around. The running backs were a strong point of the team last year and Duce and Williams played a big part in that. The are two excellent coaches and people. The only real head scratcher to me was Davis. I don't care how much Spadaro wants to gloss over Davis's past stints as D-cor and write about these nice little glowing celeb coaches testimonials. The fact is that he was really bad as a D-cor. The 49ers showed no real improvement when he was their D-cor and the Cards actually went from an OK D to a really bad one during his stint as D-cor there. So, Davis is going to have to prove to me that he can do this job right before I can think of this as anything but a really ill-advised hire

#14 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

What a pleasant shock it would be if Stoutland was brought the the Eagles to create a ROAD GRADING OL? I know I want that Alabama TE (Williams) as an Eagle. Red Zone Offense screw ups be gone!!

#15 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

>>jmac: skepticism is normal with Kelly and his entire staff. My expectations only extend to his players playing HARD and TOUGH for the coaches. Andy's Eagles became a wimpy team...

#16 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

The Browns offense was a fast offense for a good 6 years 1st down 2nd down 3rd down punt just like the Eagles the last two years. The defense was on the field all the time.

#17 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

I like the energy from Jerry Azzinaro, Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Line....

"HOW VIOLENT CAN YOU BE?"

#18 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

>>Shady: the real press would have too many distracting questions. this is a focused message from Pravda

wood....I knew it wasn't a real press conference. Otherwise it would have been reported elsewhere first. :fishing:

This just in....Trent Cole undergoes surgery on his hand.

#19 Spartucus

Spartucus

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I always take a wait and see attitude before making judgments but Dave Fipp's looks like a crazy MF.

#20 odin8888

odin8888

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,031 posts
  • Fan Since:4ever

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Now we need to upgrade the roster!!!!!

#21 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

>>Odin: I'd cut the rest of the malingerers ASAP ( Bell is gone...what about Asomugha) and suffer the cap dead money. Training Camp will sort out the guys who might have a medium poor attitude and had no inspiration from AR's coaches.

#22 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Road Graders jwood!!!....not undersized, happy feet, 50x per game pass protectors that get worn out after the 1st quarter.

We just might get us that jumbo pkg here yet one day!

#23 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Offensive coaching staff is a nice mix of abilities and backgrounds. I think there is some potential there.

Defensive coaching staff is a nightmare, and was approached in a very backwards way. We got all the positional coaches first, and all of those assistant coaches are collegiate coaches. I believe only one coach on the assistants list had actual NFL experience and it was 1 year's worth. Then, once we've dictated the supporting staff to any future D-Coordinator (thus, narrowing the available field since any hire would be "plugged in" to an existing staff with no flexibility to impact hiring decisions), we end up with a guy who has failed twice as a D-coordinator. I'm disappointed and skeptical about the future of our defense, and our team.

Davis may have a knack as an LB coach, but he's proven he is nothing special as the D-coordinator. It almost looks as if they're hoping he fails while they figure out which of these collegiate D-coordinator candidates among our position coaches is a viable option.

Contrary to the article above, Davis does not resemble Jim Johnson in the least...JJ's first D-coordinator job in the NFL was with Philly. He was unproven and proved himself. This guy is a proven loser, and we still got him.

Hopefully we will shift only to a 4-3 "Under" style of D rather than a complete blow-up into 3-4. Our only solid area in our D personnel is on the D-line. A true 3-4 move blows that up, opening more holes than we could fill in 2 offseasons. We need to draft a secondary, we need Matt Elam, and, unfortunately, we need to hope that the 3rd time is the charm for Billy Davis because right now, it looks like a defense headed for disaster. I guess we can't be much worse than last year, though...right?

Here's to hoping for the best while, unfortunately, expecting the worst. Prove me wrong, Chip and Billy, but the D looks shaky from the coaches on down at this point.

#24 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

>>Brodieman: I think if you check facts on Jim Johnson, you will discover he was an NFL Defensive Coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts. Infante was his HC. 1997.

#25 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

We don't have a LB coach. We have 2...one for the inside and one for the outside backers. Odd.

#26 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

>>DDD: two heads are always better than one.

#27 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Jwood: I missed that one, and JJ appeared to do a bad job by the numbers...you've given me some hope. I'm still extremely skeptical and I don't take much back, but you were right, I was wrong, and maybe there is some hope yet!

#28 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Based on the 2 lb coaches, we are definitely going to have 4 LB's on the field often.

#29 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Based on the 2 lb coaches, we are definitely going to have 4 LB's on the field often.

you would think...i wonder if other 34 D's have 2 lb coaches.

#30 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

WR Boldin could be a salary cap hit. How quick it all changes in the NFL? SB champion...big game...now out...maybe.