Photo
- - - - -

Anquan Boldin Says He'll Retire If Ravens Release Him

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,663 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

This came from Erik Kuselias who hosts Pro Football Talk with Mike Florio.

Erik Kuselias Sr.@eknbc

Anquan Boldin just told me he will RETIRE if he is cut by the Ravens. They will be his last team. #NFL #Profootballtalk

Kuselias also said the entire interview can be seen on PFT on NBC Sports Network at 5:00

#2 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

That'd be a shame. He was fun to watch in the playoffs. He made Flacco a ton of money by catching everything that was lobbed toward him.

#3 coreyeagle

coreyeagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101,289 posts
  • Fan Since:sperm

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

very good player

#4 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,853 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

If he played just as consistent in the regular season as he did in the post season he could have been a top 3 WR. Dude has beast hands.

#5 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,804 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

He's not getting any younger (will be 33 in Oct) and I'm sure his physical style of play has taken a toll, cashed in his entire 4 yr, $28M deal and just got a ring. I certainly can't fault him if he wants to walk away from the punishment and go out on top.

#6 Robbieb77

Robbieb77

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Bluff

#7 badmeetsevil

badmeetsevil

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Wanted him so much more than Maclin in 2009. I remember Arizona was shopping him for a first round pick and the Eagles instead used the #19 pick to select Maclin.

Now you might think that is way too much for a older WR, but remember this was 4 seasons ago and Boldin would have fit perfectly as a compliment to DJAX. We always needed the tougher go across the middle catch anything thrown his way WR. With Maclin and DJAX we have two very similar WRs and so far Maclin hasn't justified being picked over Nicks and some of the other WRs in that draft.

#8 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,730 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Dude was awesome this post season.

#9 bobbysteelz

bobbysteelz

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

I'm just soo happy he got a ring. Always loved his style of play in Arizona and just liked him as a player. He did his thing and his name is in quite a few records. Guy has always played with his heart on his sleeve, reminded me almost of how hines ward played, super physical WR.

#10 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Amazing how he took that hit he took vs the Jets (while playing for the Cardinals) - coming back from that after just three weeks.

#11 AllPhillyFan

AllPhillyFan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,706 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Wanted him so much more than Maclin in 2009. I remember Arizona was shopping him for a first round pick and the Eagles instead used the #19 pick to select Maclin.

Now you might think that is way too much for a older WR, but remember this was 4 seasons ago and Boldin would have fit perfectly as a compliment to DJAX. We always needed the tougher go across the middle catch anything thrown his way WR. With Maclin and DJAX we have two very similar WRs and so far Maclin hasn't justified being picked over Nicks and some of the other WRs in that draft.

I think posters would have been very unhappy with Boldin...especially trading a 1st rounder for him. This was the first year since being in Baltimore that he got over 900 yards receiving. He also only has 14 TDs since being there. Of course this is assuming his production would have been the same.

If it wasn't for this playoff run, the Ravens severely overpaid for Boldin giving up a 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the same draft. The SB makes it worth it though.

Edit: Maclin has also had more receptions than he has the past 3 years....I found that kind of surprising.

#12 iinvincible

iinvincible

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Boldin is a true no1 reciever , something we haven't had since T.O.

#13 AllPhillyFan

AllPhillyFan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,706 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Boldin is a true no1 reciever , something we haven't had since T.O.

True No. 1 receivers don't go 3 years without a 1000 yard season and less than 10 TDs...less than 5 the past 2.

#14 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,281 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

True No. 1 receivers don't go 3 years without a 1000 yard season and less than 10 TDs...less than 5 the past 2.

10 TDs and 1000 yards isn't so easy to get.

I consider Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson True #1 WRs....and they only have 9 TDs total.

#15 Sack that QB

Sack that QB

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

He's not a #1 anymore, he doesn't get enough separation, but he's physical, strong, and a great compliment to a speedy wideout. I don't buy him retiring for a second though. Negotiating tactic.

#16 lb7

lb7

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

We could have let DJax stretch the field and let Boldin do the dirty work over the last 4 years, that would have been nice.

#17 PolkaDotPants

PolkaDotPants

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Boldin is going the Ray Lewis route - out as a CHAMPION.

#18 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Playoff hero to out of the NFL. Interesting..

#19 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think posters would have been very unhappy with Boldin...especially trading a 1st rounder for him. This was the first year since being in Baltimore that he got over 900 yards receiving. He also only has 14 TDs since being there. Of course this is assuming his production would have been the same.

If it wasn't for this playoff run, the Ravens severely overpaid for Boldin giving up a 3rd, 4th, and 5th in the same draft. The SB makes it worth it though.

Edit: Maclin has also had more receptions than he has the past 3 years....I found that kind of surprising.

The main reason he hasnt had great #'s like he did in Arizona is b/c Cam Cameron didnt use him right. Cam always lined Boldin up on the outside across from Torrey Smith. When Cam was fired before the week #15 game against Denver Caldwell finally shifted Boldin inside into the slot position. Thats whewre he is most effective b/c he isnt that fast. Once Caldwell moved him inside and started using the middle of the football feild, Boldin took off and you can look at his stats game-by-game and you will see what I mean.

And I think he is serious. He said he would be willing to re-work his deal during an interview a few days ago. His cap # this season is well over $7mil. I think he will re-work his deal.

I dont see Ozzie and co. cutting Boldin. They wont take Flacco's #1 weapon from him after they are about to give Flacco a contract in the area of $90-$120mil

#20 ShakeThatMonkey

ShakeThatMonkey

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,201 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 90s

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I agree with Bumpy. That would be anti Ravens to just let go of Boldin after what he just gave the Ravens.

Yea, he may not be statistically productive as you would like, but he does a lot more than what his stats indicate. At least keep him for about 2 more years, with the 2nd year being optional

#21 HP

HP

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,054 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Amazing how he took that hit he took vs the Jets (while playing for the Cardinals) - coming back from that after just three weeks.

with no painkillers...not even tylenol.