Photo

[Spadaro] What Is Fair To Expect In 2013?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,775 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Once the Eagles turned the corner in the 2000 season, there was no looking back, and no expectation to have heading into every offseason other than to win the Super Bowl and bring glory to Philadelphia ...

View the full article

#2 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Uno!!!

Its been awhile.

#3 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Shaun Huls Ex Navy Seal on Chip Kelly's Staff as Sports Science Coordinator. There will be no quit in the Eagles now. I can just see it the Eagles running around camp carrying a telephone pole on there shoulders. Semper Fortis EAGLES

#4 C5Alumni

C5Alumni

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

It will be great watching DJax, Maclin, Avant, Shady, and the gang running around Lehigh at "High Port" Holding up Rubber inflatables filled with water.

#5 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,533 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm excited about the offense. As for the defense, let's just say that I'm expecting quite a bumpy ride until the team puts the right guy in charge.

#6 GENETIC-FREAK

GENETIC-FREAK

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Thinking the best SAM option if Davis is going to run hybrid D similar too Seahawks is Dion Jordan or maybe Sean Porter

#7 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

C5Alumni good post I hope I can make it to Leigh this is going to be a very interesting year

#8 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

I will be happy with just a 8-8 season but I don't see that happening. I'm going to say 1-4 wins finishing 2nd in the NFL.

#9 Eaglessanger

Eaglessanger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Frankly i read some of the posts on here about Nnamdi Asomugha%u2019s failure and contact and i just have to laugh out loud simply because i find it very comical. Well, well Good luck to Kelly booting him off the team. How do you people think that he got to be where he is now with the kind of money he makes? Do the Eagles Org really think he will sit there for him to be cut off this team? No! not a Nigerian boy like Nnamdi who is into strange things to get things his way.

All i can say is good luck to your new coach. If he has not already screwed his brains into Voodoo rituals to change his mind.. then you people can pray that he can be cut. Nnamdi simply wouldn%u2019t allow this team to cut him. But then I don%u2019t know the kind of stuff some of the coaches are also into. All i can say is get that Nigerian voodoo evil practicer away from the Eagles organization and the team will be back to normal plays and on track. Keep him in the organization and you will still end up in the same losing route. Team owners who believe in superstitious and natural powers will tell you why they kept away from his bad luck behind and didn%u2019t even bothered going for him. He is simply bad luck!! Good luck to Chip Kelly.

#10 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Huh voodoo? What ever you are on share with the rest of us emotionally tired people.

#11 ACHILLES

ACHILLES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

im not happy with the shurmer at all...geez...

#12 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Why do ppl critique whos coaching so negatively b4 a game has been played? In some cases a coach needs the right players, scheme, staff , and control. We dont know how shurmur will be UNDER chip , same with.davis. This might be the best fit for them and this team. I think its really going to look good by week 3 until.

#13 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

>>eaglessanger: team can afford to dump Nnamdi NO CLUE Asomugha and trade DeSean NO HEART Jackson. Voodoo or no voodoo.

#14 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

>>del sub: cannot believe you are asking why folks might be a TAD SKEPTICAL. has Lurie honestly made the "best decisions" over the past 5 seasons. we have all seen the team slide from 11-5 to 4-12. its too simplistic to hang the decline solely on AR...as Lurie could have changed course sooner. no doubt, no question Chip Kelly is a terrific and successful college coach. will this translate to the NFL? we all hope it will be more like Jimmy Johnson--not like Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban. as for his assistant coaches--who can tell.

#15 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Only the freaking Eagles can have a 'running' QB for years and years (Randall, Donovan and now Vick)....FINALLY get a big, strong, smart, tough, pocket passing QB like Foles...and not want him. I been a Birds fan for over 50 years and bleed Eagles green...and would give my arm for a SB...but I'll tell you one thing...if they get rid of Foles for the sake of keeping Vick, I'm done with this team. Vick will be 34 years old, hasn't won a playoff game in 9 years, is the all time active career TO leader, has a losing record as Qb of the Birds, lost a step and has something like 54 TO's in 2 years...and he didn't even play every game. Only in Philly would this happen...let's let a QB who can't stay healthy take even MORE shots. Look at RG3..he didn't even make it thru ONE season healthy. But look at a slow stiff like Eli...all he did is win TWO SB's and has NEVER missed a game due to injury. We want to win a SB...not win a 40 yard dash and make the highlights on TV. Theres was millions of times it seemed hopeless for this team and always stuck with them....letting Foles go for the sake of keeping Vick would definately be the last straw for me, that's for freaking sure, so....they'll make up my mind for me.

#16 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

DC is a very questionable pick.

I agree that we may trade down to get Dion Jordan for the D, and then get more 2nd, 3rd round picks (hopefully also for the D, like Matt Elam).

Nnamdi should be cut or traded, same as Vick.

DRC should be retained.

I'd be perfectly fine with DJax being traded.

Eagles should keep an eye on FA...we need NT, S, CB, and LB

#17 bigmac65

bigmac65

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

You should have added until then go sking, vacation to the beach, climb a mountain. Lot of time to kill before camps, preseason or regular season.

#18 chess4

chess4

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

LOL....this is ehy EAgles fan get a bad reputation....I have read all of these post and most of them speaks to the lack of knowledge that Eagles fans have about pro football. Cut this guy, trade this guy, resign this guy, and do even think about the salary cap...SMH

#19 Caribbean Soul

Caribbean Soul

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

". . . he's been great so far as the head coach here." Really? How so? Because he went to the Wing Bowl? Great is the most overused, abused and misused word in the English vocabulary by the FO propagandists and apologists on this board. I'm willing to give Chip the benefit of the doubt but all he's done so far is hire, what appears on paper, to be a very pedestrian coaching staff especially at the co-ordinator spots.

Let's see what he does the rest of the off-season and how all that translates on the field before we go throwing expletives out there, OK.

#20 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

sambo4 Good post I was on Comcast Sport.net last week a Sports Writer really knocked Nick Foles about being a 3rd round pick in the draft & as a 3rd round the odds of making it as a starting OB are next to zero. I compared Foles in Height weight & being a pocket passer to Tom Brady as a 6th round pick. His post also stated He is no Tom Brady & never will be. So I Picked up on Brady's 1st year . Tom Brady 2001 Games 15 Comp 264 Att. 413 Yds. 2843 Avg. 6.9 yds. TD 18 Int. 12 Sck. 42 Rate 86.5 Rushing Att. 36 Yds. 43 Avg. 1.2 TD 0 Fum. 12 Lost 3 Nick Foles 2012 Games 7 Comp 161 Att. 265 Yds. 1699 Avg 6.4 TD 6 Int. 5 Sck 20 Rate 79.1 Rushing Att. 11 Yds. 42 Avg. 3.8 TD 1 Fum. 8 Lost 3 I know it hard to compare 15 games to 7 games but as a Rookie Nick Foles Did a good job. I believe Chip Kelly should give him a chance to see what He can do.

#21 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,666 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Dave...i won't get into w's and l's for 2013. Too early to judge Chip. The first step is to have players who play hard and don't quit. Assemble a team of players who want to be here. Who play for each other.

#22 SteelcityCanada

SteelcityCanada

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Seems like a no-brainer to release Vick and Nnamdi and free up $30 Million that could be spread out on 5 or 6 good-to-great players.

#23 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

sambo...good post. It's mind boggling. Whatever happened to defense and pocket passing? We've obviously failed at re-inventing the football wheel. I'd rather suffer through another year or 2 of Foles (or anyone else really) learning the game by playing football the way it's supposed to be played. Show me a relentless committment to DEFENSE and POCKET PASSING, and the wins will come.

Want gimmicks and injuries? Then we keep a guy like Vick and go nowhere.

#24 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Chipper has said numerous times he likes Foles....we'll see if it's just lip service or not. I can't see us not having Foles here as #1 or #2 regardless of Vick. Hey, if we draft a QB and he beats out Foles...so be it.

#25 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

>>steelcity: the rubber meets the road...the adjustments you propose make sense. Both deals were made up by Howie and must be undone by Howie...regardless of Chip's desires...when have you ever seen the Eagles put cap concerns 2nd to real roster issues?

#26 EAGLESinc

EAGLESinc

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Obviously , one of the keys to this offseason is chemistry. Somwhere during the season it dissapeared. We really didnt start playing terrible until, the Detroit loss threw us way off track, that loss SUCKED !! We were playing ok football, we started out 3-1. I know we won those games by a combined score of 4. But a win is a win. We were also turning the ball over like crazy, and I thought if we cleaned that up we'd be fine. But we never did and alas the wheels came off the wagon and we embarassed ourselves to a 4-12 record...we looked like the Bad News Bears ..worse !.... I agree with DDD "have players who play hard and don't quit. Assemble a team of players who want to be here. Who play for each other."

#27 EAGLESinc

EAGLESinc

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I mention the Detroit loss as a turning point because , we were about to go into the bye week at 4-2, instead we blew a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go in the 4th...and just never were the same team...just my opinion

#28 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Foles should be our guy unless the QB we take in the 4th or 5th round is something special. Foles deserves a chance. I couldn't agree more with jhop...free up cap room by releasing or trading old, over-hyped, unproductive players like nnamdi and Vick. Let Foles show what he can do on a ship that isn't already sunk, with an O-line that is healthy, and a team that believes in itself.

Foles has the smarts and character that are hard to find, not to mention all of his other raw talent and size. He can do it, I'd Kelly truly adapts his philosophy to fit his players.

Get Foles a big WR target after trading desean for a receiver who cares. Improve defense and hope that the 3rd time is the charm for billy. I'm skeptical but hopeful.

Also, the reason Philly fans have a "bad rep" is because they snowball Santa and cheer when opposing players are severely injured. I partake in neither and just love football and Philly. I guarantee Philly fans' reputations are not related in any significant way to what we say on these message boards.

#29 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

the wins of the start of the seasons were so clumsy and happenstance though... the team was playing poorly already...

#30 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Dave, I'd think it would be fair to expect a 7-9 or 8-8 season with a younger team heading in the right direction. I can see an additional 2 or 3 wins just by chopping the old coaching regime( they were terrible and how many of our released assistants have won the Super Bowl?) and getting the Oline healthy, but we might also see how much of that was the remaining players faults.