Photo

[News] What Is Next Step For Nnamdi?

This topic is in the process of being archived.
213 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

PhiladelphiaEagles.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,790 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

We will know soon enough what the Eagles think of cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, how they want to proceed with or without him and what the grand plan is to improve a secondary that needs a lot of work ...

View the full article

#2 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

#3 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

One step beyond...

#4 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

ASO...????

#5 phillykeene

phillykeene

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I am the belief that Nnamdi can still be productive vut not for that kind of change. If he would restructure the current contract to a 3 year deal for about 15 million with some incentives to possibly bring it to 21 million than I would be fine with that. Definitely has to play better and be put into a press man coverage scheme. Nnamdi isn't a zone type of player. If not willing to restructure and stay then move on and cut him. The other thing might be to restructure than possibly trade him for picks. However, his last 2 seasons of work have hurt his value so realistically their are only 2 viable options here. I would definitely resign DRC. He is young and played the most consistently last season of all the DBS we had. With an improved scheme he could easily return to a Pro-bowler like he was in Arizona.

#6 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Keep DRC and Boykin. The rest of our starting secondary can go bye bye.

#7 Thomas Jackson

Thomas Jackson

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

For some reason I can't see the avi's... anyone else having trouble with their avi's?

#8 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,695 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

yes...me too Lupes..

Site is very unstable...i am online...but it says i am offline.

#9 Thomas Jackson

Thomas Jackson

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, DDD... or should I say "333" ?

#10 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

If they would've just used him the way he should've been used, it would've been diffrerent. He's only good on locking up on the other teams best WR...like he did with sucess against Larry Fitz and Calvin Johnson...until they took him off of them of course. He should only be used on 'hot dog' coverage...which is lock up on their best WR and stay with him wherever he goes. If he goes up in the stand to get a 'hot dog'....you go with him.

#11 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I hate when say keep drc... Its not a video game. Yes hes fast...big deal. He wasnt much better than nnamdi, he is a one dimensional corner with a big,time lack of focus and,recognition....yet ppl want to keep him as if he is going to play,for free or under his previous contract. He is not worth, the $10 million plus that he wants. he is no asante samuel.

#12 gwilkie

gwilkie

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I agree good corners are hard to find in the league but neither one of these corners are what I consider good for the money they stole from the orgainaztion. They coverage was poor at best and their tackling was even worse

#13 JonnyTsunami

JonnyTsunami

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

It looked to me like after Nnamdi had that eye injury he was not the same anymore. He was not able to locate the ball or his help over the top. Hopefully he got that checked out because he is staying here in Philly no matter how the fans feel about him. Maybe he follows Vick's footsteps and restructures his contract that would free up some room to get him some help over the top.

#14 JonnyTsunami

JonnyTsunami

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

whatever happend to Otogwe at SS?

#15 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Nnamdi was bad b4 the eye injury my friend. Simply put, nnamdi was never a speedster. Every athlete cannot play well into their 30s. Simply father time is undefeated, but ko ppl in different rounds.

#16 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

They used Nnamdi just fine this year. I distinctly remember him not being able to cover Hixon in bump and run coverage in the first Giants game. Hixon is their 3rd option and he made Nnamdi look like a bum. He was just really bad these past 2 seasons as a whole. No way around it.

#17 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I really hope we just move on from Nnamdi I am perfectly fine going 4 new starters in are secondary or even 3 if Boykin can step up.

#18 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Let's be honest...Was Nnamdi ever really that good? How many of us have actually seen him play in Oakland? I haven't watched a Raiders game in years. Plus the lights are a lot brighter in Philly than Oakland. We've been winning this past decade...Oakland has had 1 or 2 good years..maybe he simply couldn't handle the pressure. Lots of factors. Simply put, he isn't very good

#19 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Cam...I will say this Nnamdi was good for a stretch but I think he got lazy in Oakland it got to the point were teams were why attack the best player on D if we can just beat there #2 or 3 CB instead which was easier and nobody ever threw Nnamdi way anymore.... When he came to Philly that all changed teams tested early and hard and well you seen the result of that he is looking to be a below avg. CB

#20 Spartucus

Spartucus

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nnamdi will be here but only at a reduced salary. We can't afford to pay him 15.5M for that kind of production. If he is cut the team will take a 4M cap hit but still save 11M which can be used to sign a free agent corner. Nnamdi knows no team will pay him 11M a year so he might rework the Eagles deal. If he won't then he is history and considering how poorly he has played how much are we losing?

#21 Eagle_in_ATL

Eagle_in_ATL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Look, Nnamdi isn't what we thought he was. True. But bad safety play is responsible for 30-40% of the bad play that was attributed to him. If Nnamdi was getting less money, we wouldn't be hearing the same outrage. So that's the real issue. Can we get him for less? If not, are there any better options at CB1? No, then keep him until there is a better option. DRC isn't it either. He was shakey over the past 2 years too. If we don't need the cap room and he gives us a better option to win games, then I say keep him. Hey, he's still better than Demtri Patterson!

#22 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

ATL..I agree safety play was worse than CB play this season. Kurt Coleman is one of the worst starters I've ever seen. But our secondary actually improved after we got rid of the wide 9, which gives me slight hope that if we do improve at safety and keep Nnamdi and DRC then we may actually have a respectable secondary.

#23 Old Feathers

Old Feathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Nnamdi's problem is his size - he's too small. Fine for guys like Welker but up against guys like Gronkowski, Bollden, Graham, Witten etc it's a complete mismatch . With the league using more TE sets , bigger and taller receivers, keeping him would be a mistake.

#24 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

WTF...Nnamdi is to small he is one of the biggest CBs in the NFL he is 6'2 like 210-215

#25 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

He's 6'2" and weighs 210. That's a fairly big corner in the NFL. He does play as if he is smaller than that though. I also think Maclin plays like he's undersized when he's a fairly average sized for a receiver.

#26 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Safeties were bad , but not worse. Our safeties werent targeted in man coverage giving qbs phenominal qb passing ratings. Idea was for nnamdi and drc to not need safety help all the time. We wanted to slow tight ends down that use to kill use, by utilizing safeties in other areas. Our safeties had alot to do last year. Drc and nnamdi had simpler task and failed. We could of cover 2 every play, but all that would do is give a field day to tes, and rbs. We need better planning and players. Nnamdi is aging and thats all it was. He nvr was the fastest, and hes slower entering his 30s. Hes a great guy, but not aging well for extended coverages. I remember a play against the ravens where it was a zero blitz and nnamdi jammed the hell out of jones, but ryans missed the sack on.flacco, jones broke past nnamdi, and it looked like nnamdi just got cooked. Ppl blamed nnamdi, and the safeties. But it was a missed sack, no safetie help by design and nobody can hold a good wr for that long in the nfl. Dont get it twisted tho..coleman sucks on a who, I nvr seen a guy in perfect position not get his hand on a deep ball. He is a mess.

#27 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Actually Old Feathers I think Nnamdi's redeeming quality is probably his skill versus tight ends. That is the one area I don't ? much with Nnamdi.

#28 dub sel

dub sel

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

nnamdi probaly be better in the slot as crazy as it sounds against a tight end or big wr. nnamdi has lost a step with his vertical speed, but if he can stay close, get his hands and body on a guy from the slot, direct him and move him off route a lil bit, he can offset those quick routes. but if hes not on his game he will give up a 40 yard drag, or out.

#29 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

If the Eagles and Asomugha are willing to restructure that ridiculous contract and keep him here and work with him I am all for it. Lets face it our group of safeties in my opinion are the worst in the NFL, not to mention our defense as a whole was so badly coached with a scheme that was all over the place from week to week. This guy yes is aging but I find it hard to believe that he has gotten terrible over night. He is a big corner and I believe has some football left in him. We have to have somebody play in our secondary. The restructure has to be a significant one, if it's not and they can't agree let him go, but if they can work it out then keep him.

#30 EaglesNation79

EaglesNation79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I am pretty sure Nnamdi isn't going any where unless it involves a trade, if he was getting the ax the Eagles would of parted ways and took the cap hit already. DRC will most likely be back now that Milliner is a huge ?. The coaching was so bad on D, not a single player or coach was on the same page. Coleman needs to go, Allen either steps up play or gets cut. The lack of play at the safety position needs to be fixed. DRC and Nnamdi were not even allowed to play to their strengths. How many times did we see the Eagles experiment with the CB position over the past two seasons? And there's your sign.