Photo
- - - - -

Roseman doesn't foresee extreme Eagles overhaul

reuben frank csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,939 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Frank

Roseman doesn't foresee extreme Eagles overhaul

February 21, 2013, 9:00 am

Posted Image

INDIANAPOLIS -- A popular pasttime when your football team goes 4-12, fires its head coach and his staff, hires a new vice president of player personnel and brings in a new head coach with a novel offensive system is to try and figure out just exactly how dramatically the roster will change.

Will the Eagles bring back 20 players from Andy Reid’s last team? Thirty? Six?

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, one of Eagles general manager Howie Roseman’s closest friends, replaced 42 out of 53 players on the Colts’ opening-day 2011 roster when he went to Indy, and the Colts went from a two-win, last-place team to an 11-win playoff team.

But Roseman said he doesn’t foresee the Eagles having that extreme a turnover this offseason.

“I don’t,” he said. “Obviously, the relationship with Ryan, we talked throughout when he took the job and what his mind set was and you understood it.

“He felt like that was needed for his particular team. There will be change here, but to talk about the overhaul at that level, that’s monumental.”

So how much change?

As Roseman, Chip Kelly and the Eagles’ scouting and coaching staffs descend on Indianapolis for the NFL’s scouting combine, it’s a pivotal question facing the Eagles.

Certainly there will be dramatic change, but Roseman said the Eagles won’t gut the roster just for the sake of gutting the roster or changing the proverbial “culture of the team.”

He doesn’t believe in that.

“You’re still a 4-12 team, so you’re talking about a situation where we want to compete every year and have a chance to be in the tournament and that gives you a chance to win a Super Bowl, and for us, that means make sure we have the best possible team around the schemes that we’re putting together,” Roseman said.

“Because we are changing our scheme and changing our coaching staff, there’s going to be change. There’s natural change even when you keep your coaching staff together, so there’s naturally going to be change, but there are players in place here that we think can be here for the foreseeable future.”

Who stays?

There aren’t many locks on defense. Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, Brandon Boykin. Most likely Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry and Trent Cole, although figuring out how these linebackers and linemen project in a 3-4 will certainly be a crucial aspect of who the Eagles keep.

On offense, there’s some talent. LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, DeSean Jackson, Bryce Brown, Brent Celek. Michael Vick stays, to everybody’s surprise. The Eagles return some talented offensive linemen, but how many can run what Kelly runs? That remains to be seen.

Add in Alex Henery, and, really, there aren’t more than a dozen absolute locks on the roster.

“It’s not about the number we bring back,” Roseman said. “It’s about bringing the right players back and guys who fit into the scheme and fit into the program and what we ask them to do and what we’re doing defensively fits the guys that we’re bringing back.

“It’s so important that the players fit into the culture and the scheme of what you’re doing on both sides of the ball. That’s really important.

“There may be a really good player that’s out there, but he might not fit what we’re trying to do offensively or defensively and it may not make sense to put resources into that player, even though that’s a really good player, and I think that’s the important thing as we go through this offseason, that who may be a fit for us may not be a fit for other teams.”

Then there’s the notion of fixing the culture of the franchise, a vague concept that essentially means weeding out guys who aren’t committed to being Eagles. Cutting ties with guys who might be talented but don’t really mind losing and whose negative mentality can spread throughout a locker room, thereby creating a losing “culture.”

There was certainly an element of this in 2011, when the Eagles lost eight of their first 12 games, and last year, when they lost 11 of their last 12.

But Roseman said some of that can be eliminated simply with a coaching change.

“When you change coaches, you’re changing the culture,” he said. “When you bring a whole new coaching staff into the building and a coaching staff that does things differently than not only the large majority of National Football League but college football, he is a culture changer.

“We felt that when we interviewed [Kelly]. It wasn’t about just the scheme, and I think that was the biggest difference between what maybe the perception was and what we found out about him. It wasn’t just whether his offensive scheme would work, it was about him building a program and changing the culture, and so for us, that’s where it starts.

"We have a lot of core players who are here and under contract that the dynamic with them will change because they’re used in a different way, they talk to different coaches, so I think when you’re around the building and around the coaching staff, you see that it’s different,” Roseman said.

“Obviously, we had a tremendous amount of success with coach Reid and a tremendous amount of respect for coach Reid and his coaching staff, but when you do bring in a new coaching staff, it is a culture change.”

E-mail Reuben Frank at rfrank@comcastsportsnet.com.

#2 Regal

Regal

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

More and more, I dislike Howie and think he is inept for this job.

#3 HarborTheClay

HarborTheClay

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I dont have the anger towards the guy that many have. He's obviously able to wheel and deal, but now he's surrounded by some people that know what talent is. I believe the jury is still out on the guy, but all the negative spin he was getting seems to be just that, spin. Everyone was pretty well satisfied with last year's draft which he, by reports, led. He'll have another chance here at the next draft. Does another good draft help his reputation?

Then again, drafts take a few years to evaluate, right?

#4 AmericanEagle77

AmericanEagle77

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,567 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

More and more, I dislike Howie and think he is inept for this job.

GUT EVERYTHING!

No, seriously, what he's saying is that he believes the problem was Reid, he just can't say it. Think about it. lol

#5 InfiniteSeriesN

InfiniteSeriesN

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,354 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

“When you change coaches, you’re changing the culture,” he said. “When you bring a whole new coaching staff into the building and a coaching staff that does things differently than not only the large majority of National Football League but college football, he is a culture changer.

baloney. i've seen many management careers go down in flames because the culture of what they came in to manage didn't change.
changing the culture of an organization is hard. it is not something that happens automatically.

#6 Utebird

Utebird

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,288 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

baloney. i've seen many management careers go down in flames because the culture of what they came in to manage didn't change.
changing the culture of an organization is hard. it is not something that happens automatically.

i dont think the culture that reid created needs to be changed, i think the culture that needs to be changed is the one at the top, the "gold Standard" BS, that trickles all the way down to the players and everyone throughout the organization, after the dream team failed all they talked about was how they were better than their record and they put it together towards the end of the season, then the next year loss after loss all they did is chirp about how much better they were than other teams and how much talent they had, loike they were entitled to win because they are the "gold standard" that gold standard crap didnt come from reid that came straight from the top at Lurie and until he and the rest of the top of the organization stop feeding that madness the same entitled culture will exist.

#7 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Everything that Reid did and believed in had to go. Tiny players everywhere. Lousy O line picks. Lousy LB picks, Lousy DBack picks,
Just a soft, small kick sand in our face kind of squad. Limited running attack. Never any halftime adjustments. Lousy clock management. Terrible coordinators, terrible coaches. Horrible drafts. On and on and on...The 'everything's fine there" approach had to go.
This defense the last 2 years was historically bad. One of the worst in NFL history. Reid was the number 1 reason for everything
that sucked. Thank God he's gone.

#8 igglesphan

igglesphan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Our "dream team" went 4-12. Part of me wants to see a scorched earth policy - cut them all and start over. Hell I'd even cut Swoop just to make the point. But that's emotional. The new coaches may be able to get more out of players than Andy, Marty, and Juan did.

#9 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,377 posts
  • Fan Since:1952

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

How do some of you fans continue to follow a team/franchise when you have so little respect for those running the team? Or hopes of things ever improving? If I was that dissatisfied I sure as hell wouldn't be giving them one moment of my time. Much less my financial or emotional support.

#10 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,422 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, one of Eagles general manager Howie Roseman’s closest friends, replaced 42 out of 53 players on the Colts’ opening-day 2011 roster when he went to Indy, and the Colts went from a two-win, last-place team to an 11-win playoff team.

No doubt that's impressive. I was kinda hoping we'd be equally aggressive, since I don't buy into the "new coach will get the dogs to play harder" mantra. It may work for a few but I'd bet most will continue to be dogs.

Our "dream team" went 4-12. Part of me wants to see a scorched earth policy - cut them all and start over. Hell I'd even cut Swoop just to make the point. But that's emotional. The new coaches may be able to get more out of players than Andy, Marty, and Juan did.

:lol:

#11 SBorBust

SBorBust

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

This tells me that the recent free agent moves were Howie's doing. If these were "Reid's guys" the mistakes would be eliminated and the Eagles would move forward. This is a bad sign.

#12 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

The players in 2012 looked like they accepted losing. They were getting paid so they didn't care. It's nearly impossible to change that culture without changing the faces in the locker room. This is why I have no hope in an organization led by Howie Roseman.
I'm prepared for at least another half decade of losing as long as Roseman is making decisions.

Unless Roseman is saying things publicly that he won't execute privately, then the team is doomed. Yes, there needs to be an almost complete overhaul of the Eagles roster or they are going to continue to breed the culture of losing. You can't get rid of that stench until the players have been replaced. I can't think of more than 10 players who deserve to stay. And the attitude from these players stinks! Most unlikeable group of athletes ever assembled in Philadelphia. They hate us. We hate them.

Until Roseman is fired by Lurie, this is what you're going to get. Hopefully Jeff won't stick with Howie as long he stuck with Joe.

#13 Invictus Maneo

Invictus Maneo

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

More unwarranted hate for Howie. I think this year will prove, if anything, that he knows what he's doing and that he's doing to get the guys that Chip wants and needs in his schemes.