Photo

[News] Schiano: Kelly Will Do An Excellent Job

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,790 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- A year ago, Greg Schiano made the transition from college head coach to NFL head coach. Schiano left Rutgers to take over as the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This year, C...

View the full article

#2 Eagles_Section115_Row29

Eagles_Section115_Row29

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- A year ago, Greg Schiano made the transition from college head coach to NFL head coach. Schiano left Rutgers to take over as the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This year, Chip Kelly is doing the same thing in Philadelphia. Kelly had a successful four-year run as the head coach of the Oregon Ducks and is now the head coach of the Eagles.

When asked if he had any advice for Kelly, Schiano "first and foremost" thanked Kelly. Last year, Kelly turned down the Buccaneers to return to Oregon before Schiano was hired.

"My biggest advice would be to say, 'Thank you, Chip.' Had Chip not decided what he did last year, I wouldn't be standing here," Schiano said.

"I'm happy for Chip. He's going to do a great job. It's something that he's excited about doing there. We had a chance to visit a little bit at the Senior Bowl and he doesn't need any advice from me. He's going to do an excellent job."

Schiano did not draft any players from Rutgers last year, but did select two West Virginia players - linebacker Najee Goode and cornerback Keith Tandy - whom the Scarlet Knights played against. Schiano said that knowing the college game helped in gaining in-depth information on the players which is something Kelly will look to take advantage of this year.

"More importantly, knowing information, knowing backgrounds, so you could kind of cut to the chase on things," Schiano said.

"The other thing was the relationships I had with college head coaches. That's critical."

Schiano understood the perception that his emotional ties to Rutgers could influence the draft process. However, he said that would interfere with the team's goal of winning.

"I think the further I get away from being the head coach there and the more I'm in the position I'm in that's where it becomes a lot more easy not to be emotionally tied in any way," Schiano said.

#3 moblack029

moblack029

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

We'll be able to tell how good or great Kelly will be first by his FA selections and draft picks! If he gets this wrong right out of the gates, it will be a very short NFL career for him! I'm praying that he's the next Jimmy Johnson! Go Eagles Go!

#4 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Schiano is in his second year with the Bucs, now that he has Gus Bradley, his defense could make a good turn-around. On offense he could pick up some good pieces for his OL to bring his team to a competitive level.

While Schiano praises Chip's advance to the NFL, there's that bit of him that aspired to Chip transition to the NFL is no different than what he had transpired at Oregon. Having the knowledge from a college perspective, a coach learns to appreciates players from other programs and imagine the possibility of having such players on his team. That helps to build the experience to understand what a player is, to the eye test. There are some things you can't teach in a player but to help him to use what he has and take it up a notch or 2.

Kelly may have a feel for a lot of the players, what they do in front of him, on films and by scouting. One thing he does have, if he misjudged a player, he knows he can work around it and make it feasible. No coach can ever predict a player just by looking at him, whether the player will play to his potentials or is backstepping in his game. Either the coach didn't see it or the player isn't up to his tasks, the coach takes the blame but it isn't either the coach's or the player's fault. That's just the nature of how things folds out, nobody can dictate that. How do you dictate the fact a player needs to pee, he's on the field, he has a job to do. What does he do, he can shut it out of his mind and concentrate on his job, but for how long can he do it. That's just a nature part of things that can't be dictated, it won't be either the coach's or player's fault. The question is who's to blame since no one can dictates how things turns out.

Coaches have the natural ability to do what they can do and not what they can't do. If he can't get a player to do what he's capable of doing, perhaps the player isn't up to the tasks or does not understands, that's just the nature aspect of something that is just not going to work. A good coach will find a way to make it feasible by keeping things simple. A student who is having a hard time figuring out his math, but a good teacher displays several different ways to do it. The student looks into each of those ways and finds a suitable direction that he understands and go from there. Sometimes it may not be the quickest way but it is feasible. Being a coach is many things, especially in football. There are 11 individuals on the field and each must be in accordance to what their roles are. Execution must start from the top down, not from the bottom up, players needs to use their top priorities to build on their own instincts. A good coach will let nature take it's course, after he has taught them what they need to understand, and let them be individually driven to their own strength. I believe Kelly can get it done once he knows what he has to work with. He does not have a one track philosophy, the way Mornhingweg does, he has so many variables to make his philosophy work. That's what makes him a master at teaching things he is good at. Hardly can wait to see the excitement back on the field, again, after the last 2 years. And seeing the Eagles soar back up to the top. NFC EAST, the Eagles are coming for ya, so get ready to bring it down in the trenches, boo ya!

#5 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

HUH, hate to break the news and ruin you're day but THE GUS BUS NEVER STOPED AT TAMPA ,it went directly to Jacksonville .And by the way Gus isn't a DC he's the HC as much as coach Schiano would love to have him,Too bad the Gus Bus didn't stay here in Eagle Land.

#6 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Just shows Kelly had his choice of places just like Gamble he chose to come here. Roseman has been a big part in getting these highly sought after guys. Said people respect Howie as a GM. Plus we have the speed and youth to do what Kelly wants to do. Schiano was good and has done a good job, so far. Still Kelly could of took that job. Nothing is a sure shot. Still if you ask most experts if they think Kelly can succeed in the NFL? Most would say, no doubt. He loaded up on Great College coaches and enough NFL coached to help with any learning curves. He is a insane football mind and guys like Alabama's O line coach and BC LB's coach. Not to mention Pat Shurmer and keeping Ted Williams and Duce around. Give him a good shot. I think they need a good draft and their is no way we are not a much better team. Don't trade Foles or it is gonna be another long year.

#7 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

bckarpman - Ah, thanks you got me right in that spot, really got myself some scrambled eggs, thanks good sir. Some bubble, huh? lol

#8 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hey Silvereign,Too bad we didn't go with Gus ,thought that was the best choice oh well,I am a big Rutgers fan and also a fan of Schiano, great coach,would have taken either one over Kelly