Photo

[News] Versatility Key In Constructing 'D'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,906 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- There are questions about what to label new coordinator Bill Davis' defense, but coaches have said that versatility will be important. As the coaches construct the scheme, the curre...

View the full article

#2 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

2 guys high on the draft board and both could be nice players for us have injury concerns... Dee Milliner and Jarvis Jones.... I don't think Joeckel is there at #4 because I don't think he gets past the Chiefs but if he is and we stay where we are at #4 which I am not convinced we will then what a addition he would be. I know it's early and alot can happen between now and April 25 but he feels like a can't miss Joe Thomas type tackle. That's what we need a can't miss at any position, and an elite tackle regardless of what side he plays on would be huge.

#3 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I naiIed it, said i thought Cole and Graham would make great LB's in a 3-4. These guys are fast if they get in space, sky is the limit. Also Cox and Thornton could line up at End in a 3-4. Ryans might not be the perfect 3-4 inside linebacker. Still he is a good football player and just cause the Texans were not able to use him properly. Does not mean it can not be done. Ray Lewis played a 3-4 linebacker and he is no bigger then Ryans, he is actually smaller. Or he can move outside or play MLB in 4-3 or nickle packages. Kendricks can fit in as well he is fast, not the biggest. The bottom line is we need some beef on the D line. So we can move Cole,Graham and even Hunt around to beast out in a 3-4 @ LB. We need to get bigger and stronger up front. Need a couple NT's and bigger Ends. Jenkins from Georgia Hankins from Ohio state and of course Star from Utah are all beasts. Also their are guys through out the first 4 to 5 round. Corners like Milliner, Banks and Trufant i will be watching. Safety is the most important thing i believe. Allen and Coleman did not cut it. Anderson is a backup and ST ace. Need to look at Eric Reid he could be that Dawk type player, we miss. Not comparing him to Brian yet, just saying he is physical. Elam and Cyprien are really good as well. Also Georgia A.Rambo is an exciting young safety that we can get later. Nnamdi has to restructure or be cut. I would try to work a one year deal with him or cut him loose. If he is gone resign DRC and draft a top corner. FA sucks for corner, safety is a little better. Think we could trade the number 4 pick, if we can get a extra 2nd round pick and a later first round, do it. So many good guys all through the first and 2nd round. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds could really help this team. Trade Watkins, Allen and Jenkins.

#4 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

FA isn't too bad for DT either on a year that has plenty in the draft. H.Melton, I.Sopoaga and even Casey Hampton are awesome DT's. Sure Hampton is 35 but he started every game last year still playing well. All can play NT in a 3-4. Hampton is only looking to play another year or two. I like H.Melton but Sopoaga is prob the best fit out of those guys. That is why i don't think they go DT in the first round. Think O line or Milliner or they move back. They know they can get a DT later and in FA. Safety's are hard to come by so they might have to draft one in round 2 and sign one from FA. Gotta get a top 5 corner in the draft FA is not great. Too many old guys. I think Miss st J.Banks, Desmond Trufant and Oregon St's Poyer are possibility's. Unless we can get Milliner.

#5 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Your right Joeckel is gonna be gone. Milliner cold be too. trade back.

#6 Ken#1

Ken#1

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Big problem with your use of Versatility as a key. Versatility equals "A Jack of all trades and a master of NONE". The Eages need masters of there positions on defence.

#7 bscheck33

bscheck33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

extremely excited to see how this defense looks as a 3-4, just need to get rid of nnamdi and find somebody to play along side DRC

#8 theigglesfan

theigglesfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

The Jets are beyond desperate to clear up cap space and get a QB. The reason I mention this is if Nnambi does the right thing and restructures his contract so that we don't take a cap hit of $4mil if we cut him and makes it possible to trade him, if that's possible(we'd save over $15mil from his contract). Antoniio Cromartie is set to make $10,750,000 this year and next. He's by far one of the most underrated a couple years ago, have Revis and are stuck with Sanchez; but want serious competition hopeing someone else takes over. I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to trade Cromartie(esspeciallly Sanchez if anyone would take him) for Nick Foles. Cromarie who's 6'2, 210lbs, 28 yrs old started in every game accept 1 in the past 5 yrs. He averaged 44 tackles, 3 int. and 12 PDEF per yr. If the Eagles could swap out his contract to a 5 yr deal & resign DRC for a 5 yr deal they should be set at CB. They could sign S/CB/LB Charles Woodson & S Landry.

#9 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

When have the Birds EVER had a bonafide 'PLAYMAKER' on their defense? Have they EVER had a Lawrence Taylor type? Have they ever had a LB that were along the lines of a Derrick Thomas, Clay Matthews, Weatherspoon in Atlanta, Bowman, Cushing...guys who actually make a DIFFERENCE? Always seems like the team playing the Birds have them, but not the Birds. Is that EVER going to change?

Was talking specifically about the LB positon....but you might as well say the whole defense.

#10 DeuceOhSixx

DeuceOhSixx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

@Sam... Sounds like you're pretty young.. (born in the 90's)... Look up "Gang Green" defense. We were FULL of playmakers. Unless, you're ONLY speaking of "takeaways". Reggie White, jerome Brown, Wes Hopkins, Andre "Muddy" Waters, ERIC ALLEN, WILLIAM THOMAS, Brian Dawkins, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Sheldon Brown, Lito Shepard.. and Trent Cole... Where have you been?!? The issue now, is that we don't have any THUMPERS. They defense doesn't work as a cohesive unit.

#11 fakaiser0

fakaiser0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Sambo... You must be a new Eagles fan... We have had so many good defensive players, including linebackers, which is why these past few years have been so hard to watch. Brush up on your knowledge kid...

#12 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I remember those days, I still have the complete team set of football cards from those years. What about Clyde Simmons? He was a beast on D as well. I have been saying we need to get some more power for a while. Speed is nice but if you can't shed blocks then, what good is it. I think Trent Cole still has something left to give. In 3-4 situations if he plays outside linebacker he can be a beast in pass rush but most of all he could fake out blockers and stuff the run. We know we gotta get a couple big DT's if not a few. Cox is good but he needs a NT next to him pushing the pocket. Cole had no help. We seen Graham get better and better. I know from when i seen him at the combine and in the senior bowl, he was fast and had a non stop motor. I always thought if he was a LB in a 3-4, he would be a beast. We are heading that direction like the Niners or even Baltimore's D. We have pass rushers,just need the big men to open the wholes for guys like Cole,Hunt,Graham,Ryans and even Kendricks to run through. That is why I think we don't look too much at the linebackers rather DT and DE. Need that push. I would say Cox and even Thornton could play DE in a 3-4. Safety and Corner is a major concern. If Nnamdi takes a large pay cut then i think he could have more success then last year. Cause he wont be left covering for so long. Would love to sign the 49ers Safety D. Goldston. Their are so many good DT's in this draft, we will get a beast. Plus Free agency is not bad either for DT. What about the early AR years? Corey Simon, Hough Douglas, Darwin Walker, Hollis Thomas, Trotter, Dawk. Come on that wasn't a good D. Lets remember McNabb and AR's poor clock management was the reason, they are not talking about those great Jim Johnson D's. We always played a 4-3 and that is norm smaller linebackers. I agree i always envied teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore for their monster LB's.We are headed that way and i know without a doubt. If you stand Cole up, he can be a Demarcus Ware type of player. Small for a DE but a monster LBer. Even if he gets more help in the middle, he is always good for double digit sacks. Let's face it Patterson can't stay healthy and Jenkins lost 2 step. Star from Utah,Jenkins from Georgia,Hankins from Ohio state can fix that. Think Casey Hampton still has a solid year or two in him and the DT from San Fran as well Sopaga, spelt that wrong. Either way i wanted Henry Melton from the Bears but looks like they are gonna keep him.

#13 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

How many Sambos are their. lol

Dixon could be better suited for a 3-4,still we need a couple playmakers.