Photo

[News] Mathieu To Test Character Limits

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,790 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- There are certain elements of a player's game that NFL teams can quantify. However, there are crucial aspects which cannot be defined by statistics. Character is one of them. Teams ...

View the full article

#2 MVB9875

MVB9875

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Eagles need to get Sean Smith and draft Tyrann

#3 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Jesus he is tiny. I'd rather not have him when there are WR over a foot taller than him.

#4 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

We already have one smurf CB in Boykin...do we really need another? How about a CB or 2 with some size?

#5 michaels maniacs

michaels maniacs

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Fan Since:1973

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

sean smith stinks

#6 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yes he is small like Boykin.....and Boykin was by far our best CB last year. I say if you can get him late....why not.

#7 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I''ll pass! On Smith and Mathieu. Maybe I just don't understand what the Eagles are looking for in a player.

#8 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Mathieu smokes weed so does Vick, Herremans and a bunch of other NFL players. We don't need a QB in this draft because next year's draft is projected to be stockpiled with franchise QB types. We need to continue selecting the best player available. On offense we need a backup TE who has the ability to start in a year or two, more explosiveness out of our slot position and better backups on the OL. On D we need DBs, safeties and corners and depth at LB. If we sign a FA CB and give Curtis Marsh a shot at starting we'll be going in the right direction. A safety who is really underrated is DJ Swearinger, he is a BDawk clone and he brings an intimidation factor to the field that not many safeties have.

#9 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Matt Elam is much closer to a bdawk clone. Just watch his highlight reel

Elam is actually a little bigger than Dawkins was when he came out of college, but I'd be happy if the eagles got elam and he was 3/4 the player dawk was

#10 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Mathieu is a small tough guy, a physical, fearless corner, ball-hawk and play-maker. If we have Mathieu and Swearinger on the field with Sean Smith it gives our defense a toughness at the back end that we were missing these last few years, these guys play with attitude and aggression. Mathieu didn't earn the nickname "honeybadger' for nothing. He will earn instant respect in the NFL from whichever locker-room he goes in because he will earn it on the field. He is similar to Darrell Green in size and toughness.

#11 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have seen Matt Elam and i'll take Swearinger over him because he is bigger, faster and more of an intimidator. Matt Elam is 5'8", Swearinger is 6'0". I suggest you look up Swearinger highlights.

#12 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'd like to see us get both Elam and Swearinger.

#13 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

We need corners with good field coverage and play like their lives depends on it. They need to have speed to keep up with receivers and running backs. They need the height, physicality weight and size to dominate any offensive weapons. Have already built some instincts in the coverage they must understand, to help them learn new things and be accustomed to getting back to the basics.

#14 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

My mock Eagles draft
1st rd- Chance Warmack, LG (trade down pickup additional #2pick)
2nd rd- Travis Kelce, TE
2nd rd- Terron Armstead, OT
3rd rd- DJ Swearinger, S
4th rd- Shamarko Thomas, S
5th rd- Tyrann Mathieu, CB
6th rd- Jordan Campbell, OLB
7th rd- Josh Boyce, WR

#15 Nate Minor

Nate Minor

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles need thugs on the corners with the ability to shut down top rated NFC receivers and tackle a ball carrier. We don%u2019t need %u201Cthe wire fancy commentator%u201D or tweeting nickel corner that can%u2019t tackle a hash-tag or a player.

We need players like D-Dawk

#16 Nate Minor

Nate Minor

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Correction

The Philadelphia Eagles need thugs on the corners with the ability to shut down top rated NFC receivers and tackle a ball carrier We do not need the wire fancy commentator or tweeting nickel corner that cannot tackle a hash-tag or a player.

We need players like D-Dawk

#17 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

It seems as though everyone thought Alabama had the most talented players but the combine shows that it was probably excellent coaching that caused them to dominate especially on the OL where their combine workouts have been sort of underwhelming.

#18 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

If he's there in the third I say grab him ,CB, Safety,punt returns,Versatile,

#19 DeuceOhSixx

DeuceOhSixx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

The combine results don't mean all of that much. Look how many "combine warriors" have been GARBAGE. It's all about the tape. It's a lot different doing things out of pads, than it is doing them with pads on.

#20 DeuceOhSixx

DeuceOhSixx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Dave... we need WAY too many defensive players to be taking all of those offensive players with early round picks... smh... You're pulling an Andy Reid. Swearinger is solid... Warmack's good as well... Kelce is a luxury... We need a safety or a corner there.

#21 70yearfan

70yearfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Enough with little guys who are druggies like Matheau unless he is still available as a late round pick. I do like his stats on turnovers. God knows none of the Eagles defensive guys could cause or find a loose ball last year.

#22 vinrock3

vinrock3

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

theres a lot more players with worse backgrounds playing in the nfl. hes a damn good corner and we need help with that. id take a chance on him but not in the first couple of rounds. only if hes still around later in the draft

#23 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

So he smoked a little weed who hasn't dude ,If he's there for the 3rd round we should take him.Calling him a druggie shows you're age 70year fan. Don't be so judgmental man,that movie that you watched when it first came out and you totally believed in, Refer Madness wasn't real man,it was all a hoax dude. Like maybe Tyrann like will end up being totally awesome .It would be far out man.

#24 duster bugless

duster bugless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Mathieu is an interesting prospect for the Eagles. He reminds me of Courtland Finnegan, a CB who makes up for what he lacks physically by getting into his opponent's head. Off the field issues aside, the Eagles could use a guy like that.

#25 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Exactly