Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Reports: Alex Smith traded to Chiefs for 2nd-rd pick and cond 2014

49ers chiefs alex smith reid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#91 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,751 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Prior to Harbuagh's arrival he was universally regarded as a major bust as his #'s between 05' - 10" attest, so now we'll get to see just how "good" he really is or if he only enjoyed some individual success due to the system.

Under harbaugh he was finially put into a system that made him better and fitted his skill set, the other 100 OC's and HC's not so much, but Reid does run the WCO and Smith should catch up to speed real quick

For a team that made the SB and didn't lose by much, to have basically two late round 1 picks, wow.

True, but the last two years they have been lucky not to lose players to injuries and no TO's, can't be that lucky all the time

#92 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Under harbaugh he was finially put into a system that made him better and fitted his skill set, the other 100 OC's and HC's not so much, but Reid does run the WCO and Smith should catch up to speed real quick

The main difference in the system (and in his improved performance) was not so much WCO philosphies as it was the limited number of times he was asked to throw. In 11' - 12 he averaged only 26 APG and never had a game with more than 38 as oppossed to the mid 30's (and routinely being asked to throw 40+ times) in the prior years.

Unfortunately 26 attempts in basically a first half of work in Reid's O, so unless Andy dramatically changes his stripes odds are Smith won't handle the increased workload very well.

#93 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

The main difference in the system (and in his improved performance) was not so much WCO philosphies as it was the limited number of times he was asked to throw. In 11' - 12 he averaged only 26 APG and never had a game with more than 38 as oppossed to the mid 30's (and routinely being asked to throw 40+ times) in the prior years.

Unfortunately 26 attempts in basically a first half of work in Reid's O, so unless Andy dramatically changes his stripes odds are Smith won't handle the increased workload very well.

That could be due to being behind in games though, those where some bad teams he was on previous to Harbaugh

#94 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

That could be due to being behind in games though, those where some bad teams he was on previous to Harbaugh

I'm sure there were multiple factors at play but I also don't think it's a coincidence that in 3 of the 5 games he lost under Harbaugh he averaged 34 APG with 4 INTS and only 1 TD.

If there's one undeniable trend in this guy's career is that he tends to succeed when his attempts are limited and struggle when he's asked to carry a bigger load.

#95 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

having to learn a new system every year didn't help matters much either

#96 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

having to learn a new system every year didn't help matters much either

He had to learn a new system going into the 2011 season and had the best year of his career by far.

#97 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm sure there were multiple factors at play but I also don't think it's a coincidence that in 3 of the 5 games he lost under Harbaugh he averaged 34 APG with 4 INTS and only 1 TD.

If there's one undeniable trend in this guy's career is that he tends to succeed when his attempts are limited and struggle when he's asked to carry a bigger load.

That is a fault of his, having to carry a team when behind or chucking it every down, IIRC, Davis was his only legit target, Crabtree was inconsistent pretty much up to this year

#98 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

He had to learn a new system going into the 2011 season and had the best year of his career by far.

so are we in agreement? He's a good QB. that's my take. He struggled due to the fact that he had to learn a new system every season. He succeeded under Harbaugh because of his lessened workload. Still, I'd take a chance on him and was hoping he'd land in Philly.

#99 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

WCO suits his skill set, he's smart, mobile and very accurate, remember when Martz was his OC and the 7 step drops?

#100 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

That is a fault of his, having to carry a team when behind or chucking it every down, IIRC, Davis was his only legit target, Crabtree was inconsistent pretty much up to this year

In those 3 games I referenced (2 were in 2012 and the other in 2011) they were only down 17 - 13 in the 3rd, 10-3 at half and up 16 - 14 in the 3rd so it was hardly a case of having to "chuck it on every down".

#101 Vick 2 JMac

Vick 2 JMac

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Chiefs are retarded. Andy again thinking he can design an offense around an average players strengths instead of getting an above average player. So glad he's gone.

#102 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

so are we in agreement? He's a good QB. that's my take. He struggled due to the fact that he had to learn a new system every season. He succeeded under Harbaugh because of his lessened workload. Still, I'd take a chance on him and was hoping he'd land in Philly.

I think he's an effective game manager when his workload is limited, so if that makes him a "good QB" in your opinion you're entitled to it. However to say "having to learn a new system" is the reason that he struggled, the fact that he had his best career year by a long shot in a season when he again "had to learn a new system" completely contradicts that hypothesis.

#103 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Chiefs are retarded. Andy again thinking he can design an offense around an average players strengths instead of getting an above average player. So glad he's gone.

Like who, Geno Smith?

#104 mav81

mav81

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Maybe Arizona? They had interest in Smith...

I don't see them getting fleeced twice by us.

#105 Steve Fox

Steve Fox

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Smith is a big improvement over who they have, but this is a desperation move by Andy.

#106 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,994 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Reid the quarterback genius. That genius could have drafted Kaepernick and Russell Wilson and didn't.

#107 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Reid the quarterback genius. That genius could have drafted Kaepernick and Russell Wilson and didn't.

You could say that for all NFL teams, and I guess some other teams should have drafted Mcnabb ,Westbrook & McCoy in their respective drafts

#108 kevkro64

kevkro64

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Free agency and trading period commences on March 12th, just saying.

So, essentially Alex Smith receives a call from the 49ers this morning informing him that he would be traded to Kansas City for their 2013 2nd pick and conditional 2014 pick? I find that hard to believe. I'll be surprised if this deal goes down.

#109 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,620 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

So, essentially Alex Smith receives a call from the 49ers this morning informing him that he would be traded to Kansas City for their 2013 2nd pick and conditional 2014 pick? I find that hard to believe. I'll be surprised if this deal goes down.

What's hard to believe about it?

#110 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Andy won't be in Kansas City very long if he's making trades like this.

#111 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Highly doubt it, Arizona will likely have their choice of any QB in the first round. Geno just dropped because KC was the only suitor named so far.

Arizona won't waste a draft pick when they can have whatever QB fall to their feet.

I wouldnt be susprised if the Eagles drafted him with the #4 pick now. Maybe if he falls to the #4 spot, maybe a team that wants him bad enough might call the Eagles for a trade possibally.

Somone like Arizona, Buffallo, Jets (??), Minnesota could be intrested in a potential trade with the Eagles is Smith is still there at #4. If the Eagles could trade the #4 pick to someone and drop down no later then the 10th pick or so and pick up a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder at worse... I would have to think long and hard about it.

Everything would be pointless if the Chiefs, Jags, and Radiers all pass on Luke Joeckel. If Luke is there at #4 there is no-way the Eagles pass on him... right?? :unsure:

#112 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Joeckel is a bust waiting to happen.

your crazy....

Joeckel and Chance Warmack (G from Alabama) are the 2 most sure things in this draft. I know everyone could be a bust no matter how good they are in college, but Luke and Chance are the 2 players that most likley will be worth drafting them high

#113 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

BTW, with this trade the 49ers are LOADED with 5 picks in rounds #1-#3.

#34- from KC in the Smith trade

They might pull off a blockbuster trade kinda like the Falcons did during the 2011 draft when they traded 5 picks to the Cleveland Browns to allow the Falcons to move up to the #6 pick and draft Julio Jones. San Fran is a young and talented team right now, but if they draft wisley and spend wisley in FA, that team will be downright SCARY for the next 3-5 seasons IMO.

They have a total of 15 picks in the upcoming draft (the 49ers do) according to walterfootball.com. There is no way they keep all 15 picks so the article mentioned that they are setting themselfs up for a potential big trade and 2 of the names mentioed in the article was Percy Harvin and Derrell Revis

#114 PHeagles36

PHeagles36

Hall-of-Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

They might pull off a blockbuster trade kinda like the Falcons did during the 2011 draft when they traded 5 picks to the Cleveland Browns to allow the Falcons to move up to the #6 pick and draft Julio Jones. San Fran is a young and talented team right now, but if they draft wisley and spend wisley in FA, that team will be downright SCARY for the next 3-5 seasons IMO.

They have a total of 15 picks in the upcoming draft (the 49ers do) according to walterfootball.com. There is no way they keep all 15 picks so the article mentioned that they are setting themselfs up for a potential big trade and 2 of the names mentioed in the article was Percy Harvin and Derrell Revis

its been reported today they arent going after revis but that was also an nfl trade report which means it doesnt really matter

#115 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Justin Smith is getting old, Gore has a lot of carries under his belt, A running Qb who could down with an injury, Aldon Smith, Bowman, & Willis looking for paydays.

#116 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Justin Smith is getting old, Gore has a lot of carries under his belt, A running Qb who could down with an injury, Aldon Smith, Bowman, & Willis looking for paydays.

To me that is the only potential downside to SF of the trade. While there's no way to predict injuries if Kaepernick was to go down, especially for an extended period of time they'd be F'd unless they believe that completely unproven Tolzien or some 2013 draft pick could carry the slack.

#117 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

To me that is the only potential downside to SF of the trade. While there's no way to predict injuries if Kaepernick was to go down, especially for an extended period of time they'd be F'd unless they believe that completely unproven Tolzien or some 2013 draft pick could carry the slack.

Would'nt surprise me if they went after Matt Cassell

#118 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Would'nt surprise me if they went after Matt Cassell

Not sure about Cassell but I would think there's no question they'll sign a veteran backup.

As a Big 10 fan I remember Torzien from his days at Wiss where he had a pretty solid career but then went undrafted for whatever reasons, was signed by SD, cut and then picked up by the 9er's last offseason but I don't think the kid has ever thrown a regular season pass, so I can't believe they'd be comfortable turning the reigns over to him.

#119 DawkinsOwnage03

DawkinsOwnage03

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes a sigh of relief

#120 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

regardless, the 49ers are set for years to come IMO.

They could package a few of those picks to move up into the top 10 or 5 if there is someone they LOVE or like I said package them up for a player like Harvin or Greg Jennings (depending what the Packers do with him)

They are if a great spot to make a MAJOR move to become the scary team that no-one wants to play like the Eagles in the early 2000s when we dominated the NFC or the Patrioits during that amazing run of 3 superBowls in 4 years, 2001- 2004