Photo

[News] Eagles Release Cullen Jenkins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,881 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Monday that they have released defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins, who was with the team the past two seasons after signing as a free agent in 2011. “I had a chanc...

View the full article

#2 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I thought he was only due about $2M. Guess not. I like Cullen but he is on the wrong side of 30, especially for a rebuilding team.

#3 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

more freed up money, seems as tho there will be a good free agent signing at one position, a trade coming, and a def switch of defensive style/ scheme

#4 trini

trini

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

No good deed goes unpunished Cullen took a pay cut last year to stay on the team. was a good player for us. It always seem to come down to money. Jenkins age . good luck Cullen. is Big Mike next?

#5 sameoldsameold

sameoldsameold

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  • Fan Since:fr Nixon

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

it was a real bad omen watching Jenkins last year fighting with Andy on the sidelines of that one preseason game.

#6 will_esco

will_esco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I liked Cullen Jenkins...wonder if this is a sign of a Star* DT getting drafted by us.

#7 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

This defense is being rebuilt. More freed up money. Now if Asomugha won't play for his $4 million guaranteed and about $2.5 then cut him too. Patterson probably next. The Eagles must be looking to make some moves in free agency. That's a good thing.

#8 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Zombie should be cut no matter what.

#9 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I liked Jenkins, he was one of the few pieces who worked for us. Maybe he is too old, but I don't like releasing quality veterans too early. They can still play at a high level and impart wisdom to new guys. This seems like a mistake, kind of like the Dawkins situation.

#10 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

The only thing they should restructure for Zombie is the height of the door knob, to make sure it hits him on the a** on his way out.

#11 SBorBust

SBorBust

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

The Eagles have plenty of cap room. If they release a guy who can still play I am going to assume that they have a good reason.

The 2012 team quit on the field and ended the season 4-12. The more turnover, the better.

#12 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Jenkins is on the Wrong side of the hill ,too bad thought he was a good run stopper

#13 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

i hate when ppl copy my comments. i think big man antonio dixon will be working i at nt in a 3-4 switch. really tho our defense is going to not have a scheme identity i think, which will be great! very versatile. all the real eagle fans ( not the ones only here for vick) remember under jj, and the mess we had with mcderm (bad personel) , but remember the zone blitzing?? our d line was all over the place. offenses didnt know who was coming or going. i expect that in 2013. i can see the 4-3 under look with an added backer. i bet we come with a 4-4 at times, prowl defenses, cat rolls. all types of mixed up schemes and subs. our players have to be smart and aware, so nnamdi and drc def will be gone lol

#14 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Good. This guy never did much for this team anyways...time to lessen the glut of DL players

#15 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

dont need jenkins d line wisdom in this case, we got cole here. they handled dawkins wrong i agree, as well as sheldon brown, asante samuel, stewart bradley, and queintin mikel. the only one they got right was westbrook. he was here long enuff to help mccoy,

#16 jaypressley

jaypressley

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Almost all those free agents we brought in are gone. The problem was we brought them in to lead the team and that rarely works. Your leaders for the most part should be your home grown talent that have bought into what the coaches want. These guys her all highered guns and only Jenkins seemed to have any team success out of the bunch. Babin, Young, Asomugha, Jenkins, DRC. Non of these guys are true leaders and were all part of this teams destruction. Add in Big red's total miss management like hiring Wash before making Juan your DC, not properly addressing the OL dept and releasing guys like Justis, Howard, McGlynn, Jackson that could have helped our OL all adds up to a big mess. Time to clean house!!!!!!

#17 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

u kno a leader when u sit them down for interviews, u know a leader by film after and b4 plays. we knew these guys we got werent leaders, we knew ryans was a leader to an extent. we knew samuel was a leader...oh yes samuel was a leader for those who think not. that big mouth fool did more than talk trash. he was a mistake to let go. pay the man!!! eli was glad we got rid of samuel, then he was like damn hes in atl..havin this secondary pick me all game!

#18 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I think Jenkins did more for this team than most over the past 2 years...at least on the defensive side of the ball. He was a fired up competitor, he was as good a DT if not the best DT on our team. He restructured to help the team. If we release him, we better fill that void. Run D problems had better not return.

#19 Brodieman

Brodieman

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

If we're getting rid of Jenkins, couldn't we have traded him? Anything is better than the nothing we got out of this loss.

#20 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

and who would trade for him? who wants a 30 plus dt at 5 mill for the year? when u can wait for him to be cut and take a run at him, and if u dont get him there will be other options, he was ok, nothing special at this point. most games did anyone notice he was even playing? same for all of the d line men really, did anyone notice if any other linebackers were playing must games outside a the plays that came from ryans? the only reason we know that drc and nnamdi was playing was cause they were the main course.. roast duck. they will release all non productive players and contracts. the hiring of gamble and kelly shows that they want better talent players. and will only pay for a sure thing. there will be more releases , trades coming soon and signings.

#21 saveir1

saveir1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

"Man" we let go of good players and keep bums, good luck Cullen. We better have a good plan, Jenkins was the heart of the D-line, a firey player who was more productive than all those free-agent pick-ups we got two years ago, and propably more productive than anybody on defense last season with thee exception of Ryans. My question is why couldn't we at least trade him for somthing, saving money is always great but I'm sure he had some trade value seeing as though he can play 3-4 or 4-3 and had a pretty good career with a ring to complament. Damn couldn't we at least get a 3rd round for him maybe a 4th. We need alot of peices this off-season.

#22 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

casey matthews is happy his crime boss got hired, kelly wont cut his henchmen. same for dixon. sad but expect after or near the draft for foles to be traded. coleman will be gone, nate will stay, chaney or jordan will be released. maybe even mike patterson. i think we might see an offensive cut coming soon

#23 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

3rd or 4th rounder??? i wish u were the owner of an nfl team the eagles could steal picks from in a trade!!! jenkins trade value in a trade pick would be a 7th rounder in this draft or next year. asante went for a 7th because of his contract. if asant were only due 5 million we could of traded him for a 3rd or 4th. jenkins would go for a 7th because of age, talent, and contract. he is not a difference maker.

#24 saveir1

saveir1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

"Man" we let go of good players and keep bums, good luck Cullen. We better have a good plan, Jenkins was the heart of the D-line, a firey player who was more productive than all those free-agent pick-ups we got two years ago, and propably more productive than anybody on defense last season with thee exception of Ryans. My question is why couldn't we at least trade him for somthing, saving money is always great but I'm sure he had some trade value seeing as though he can play 3-4 or 4-3 and had a pretty good career with a ring to complament. Damn couldn't we at least get a 3rd round for him maybe a 4th. We need alot of peices this off-season.

I maybe dreaming but I wish, I wish, I wish for Ed Reid or Brian Urlacher. One reason I know that wont happen is, Ed already stated that if he does leave Baltimore he wants to play for New England or Denver and Urlacher will probably stay with the Bears or would want to play for a play-off bound contender team as well. I do want the Eagles to continue to pursue Laron Landry as he was one of the free-agents we let get away two years ago when we signed all those bust. Ironically Landry made the pro-bowl with the Jets while none of our free-agents made a play. He plays best in the box but he's a beast who will add attitude to this D. Question #2 at 4-12 what caliber of free-agent would want to come to Philly for an experiment that could go either way, geatness or more grief.

#25 AirAfrica

AirAfrica

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well it seems pretty clear now that we will draft a DT in the first or second round. Some names go keep in mind now are Sharrif Lloyd, Star Lotulelei if his heart checks out, and Johnathan Hankins. If we can trade back and get another second rounder we can get Hankins in the early second and get Eric Fisher in the first round

#26 fbcoach2444

fbcoach2444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Cullen Jenkins was a classy guy, decent leader and one of the few free agents who actually played to an acceptable level. Eagles are getting younger (although they are already very young) and woking on the OL and DL. I'd expect them to use top pick to address the line on each side of the ball, but the secondary still is a HUGE concern. Really putting pressure on Howie and Co to have a strong draft and to sign a few, high quality, immediate impact free agents. Interesting to see how the roster will be rebuilt...trusting in Chip to make it work. I remain cautiously optimistic.

#27 spartanj

spartanj

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

he did work hard and gave his all while he was here. good luck going forward, cullen jenkins.

#28 stoneform

stoneform

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

I really like Jenkins, and I thought it would be good to see him as a 3/5 tech DE. During the last two shaky years the guy was a pillar. Wish our team was better last year, but I'm sure he'll land a good spot somewhere. I think Kelly and Howie see this year as a good year to go younger at DT, as well as transition to a new scheme. Best of luck to him in the future.

#29 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just a unfortunate effect of the salary cap.

#30 ackid38

ackid38

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts
  • Fan Since:69

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Does it really matter?The guy that should of been CUT signed a 10 million dollar contract..And that person is Michael Vick.We are not moving forward when the most important player on the team,cant stay healthy,cant read a blitz, turns the ball over more than tds scored,and we whine for some D tackles.....Shame on us...not ever saying Foles was going to be the answer,but how about a chance? Could of went after anyone we wanted,or draft one of these kids...Seattle did,as did the 49ers and look where they went..But no,lets stick it out with VICK 1 more year,hes our best chance at winning now.....What the heck are you people smoking..he had his chance and well we all see how that too turned out...stop talking about 2010.dude was in jail for 2 years,at the end of 2010 the league caught up with him,hence the next 2 years.....