Photo

[News] Pauline: Defensive Tackles Available

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,748 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

The combine got a little defensive on Monday as defensive ends, defensive tackles and linebackers took the field. Several of the most anticipated workouts of the entire combine were completed by bi...

View the full article

#2 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Let's not get infatuated with workout wonders....dont' forget it's playing the game of football that counts at the end of the day....and not how high someone jumps or how fast he runs a 40 yard dash. I mean, it's nice to know those things, but it's not the be all end all. How good guys look in their shorts and doing these drills doesn't mean it'll translate over onto the playing field.

#3 CptButtStein

CptButtStein

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Mamula

#4 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Anyone that still thinks they are going to draft a QB in the first or second round is brain dead. I just said it the other day, gotta get rid of Patterson and Jenkins. Plus i said we need to either cut Nnamdi or get him to take a payout. Gotta look at the talent in the draft and our needs. O line and D line in this draft is amazing. The amount of Big physical guys that can move is sick. Plus the hybrid DE/LB's. Has some play makers. Safety and corner has enough to get one of each and TE looks good as well. Would love to see them either move back take a play maker and get an extra 2nd rounder. Not sure what order cause it depends what happens. All i know is A D lineman/hybrid, 1 of these awesome Olineman and a good safety and hopefully a corner. Not to mention we can still get a good big TE in the mid to late rounds. Sheriff Floyd, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jorden, Cory Lamonier, or Star if healthy. Lane Johnson,Kyle Long,Chance Warmack,Jonathan Cooper. Safety's like Cyrien, Reid or Rambo and a corner like Milliner, Banks or Trufant. How ever the chips fall. TE's Escobar,Kelce or even Dion Sims. Sure I love McDonald,Eifort ane Ertz but they wont go first round on TE. Just saying with 3 picks in the 1st two rounds and our early 3rd pick. We can have 4 game changers.

#5 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

Xaviar Rhodes, Matt Elam, Jonathan Hankins, Earl Watford, DJ Fluker, Margus Hunt, Sam Montgomery,Jorden Poyor and the list goes on and on. They got 60 to 70 projected first round picks. It's all confused. Everyone has their own ideas of which guys they think are first or second rounders. Which means it we trade out, we could get 3 potential young stars. Not saying move back twenty spots. Just 5 to 10 spots to get two second rounders Then we have early picks and an extra pick. 9 picks in this draft and a couple key free agents. This team could look much improved. Start turning this team into a winner. Need a top DT, O lineman, safety and corner the most. We have enough QB's and RB's to run Kelly's scheme,

#6 trini

trini

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

That Trading down theme is growing on me U on Point EAGLESNY1. depending on how the board falls. Trade down and stay in the top 10 pick up a 2nd rounder. Is Andy Reid going to change and select Joeckel with KC first pick... Reid likes to be unpredictable he could still go QB even if Alex Smith is brought on board Reid loves his QB's especially with the QB competition in the AFC.

I agree with some that QB should not be a Hot Button but if E.J.Manuel is around in the 2nd round he is an Eagle. This kid is a pocket QB that can run,can make all the throws and like Nick has great size and his speed.

#7 dave1954

dave1954

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

To me at #4 best pick and sure fit is chance warmack, Watkins a bust, this guy is solid. as far as DL Williams from Alabama or FA

#8 bckarpman

bckarpman

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Trading down would be great ,the problem is who wants to trade up and at what cost if there is a team.

#9 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I still say that the Eagles are freeing up cap room to be active in free agency and we won't really know the draft priorities until after we see who they sign. The two best rated defensive tackles available in free agency are Henry Melton (Bears) and Randy Starks (Miami).

#10 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

How can the pick be anything but Milliner. I mean i get the DT thing at this point with Big mike and Jenkins gone but the Eagles are not going to keep Nnamdi and DRC. Evan at that the secondary was/is the biggest need. (Jokecl an Warmack are great but the Oline needs to get healthy, not a first round pick).

The pick will be Milliner...possibly Star or Floyd depending on who gets taken 1-3.

#11 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Remember Mike Mamula? Has anyone ever done a serious statistical analysis of Combine performance versus subsequent NFL career productivity? I think not.

@1wrangler: The Eagles suck in free agency.

#12 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

danga, out of the three you have endorsed, two of them have some health issues. Floyd is the only one that doesn't.

#13 thesnowleopard

thesnowleopard

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I love the trading down philosophy. We can't make a good choice when better players are available, so let's choose more lesser players and cross out fingers.

If you don't know what you are doing, it doesn't matter at what number you choose.

#14 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

@1wrangler.

Film doesnt lie. Yes they have health issues but Star's is my only concern. As long as he get a pass to allow him to play. The guy is a beast. MIlliner is my pick tho and to see him run a 4.31...Its a lock IMO.

#15 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Danga - You may be correct however I am not ready to make a guess until free agency is over. I see the Eagles signing around 4 players in free agency. Depending on who they sign will make a difference in who they draft. Plus Kansas City wants to trade the first pick away which would put another team and their needs picking first. Mel Kiper has Luke Joekel listed as the 11 th pick in the draft now so he has slipped a little bit. Maybe far enough for the Eagles to draft if they want him.

#16 danga

danga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

11th???...wow thats crazy. Its true tho. Until FA in panned out this is all guess work..

#17 SilvereignEagle

SilvereignEagle

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

There's 2-3 QBs eyeing to hopefully play for Kelly or for their home town. They may or not get picked up, considering the shift in the defensive model for versatility. Other than those up the front-line, LBs, CBs and Safeties are all role changers, that means a LB can invertently play the CB role, as well as Safety only to the extent of what the offensive look will be.

Dion Jordan was a TE before Chip move him to the defensive side. Jordan played as a NT (0 technique), DT (3 technique) and DE/OLB (5 technique), also covers TEs in the quick play routes. Jordan mentions that there is a different mindset playing on the line and playing on the edge, especially with the added sense of coverage. He is mobile enough and uses his strength and quickness to attack up the line or as a disruptor on the edge. Kelly looks for players to contribute in a variety of roles that can give the best edge of advantage over other teams, as it may not work with some other teams. Versatility is the key and if Billy Davis don't catch onto it, Kelly might have to bring in Aliotti in next year to replace him.

I'm not putting Davis down but in the books, what has he seen in the defenses he had to work with. Let's see how he understands Azzinaro and the rest of the staffs, to learn and spot talents and place those talents where it can maximize the personnel strengths as the year progresses. I'm willing to give him that chance to develop ways of using personnel talents. Castillo was experimenting by putting pieces where they weren't maximizing, but he wasn't that far off, he was new to the defensive side. I'd say he did a pretty good job in learning to recognize talents by experimenting. Bill can't be experimenting with Kelly, he should be able to see talents as they develop. He's the mastermind behind his core group, like a game of chess, each pieces has it's own unique moves to use, as the strength of the fortification. Bill should understand each positions and be able to place talents where they should be. I have no idea why he lasted this long in the NFL, but I hope this is his turning point with Chip.

#18 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,651 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Mamula

or worse Jon Harris

#19 djessel

djessel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

This goes to anyone who thinks trading down is a good idea...

To get a good return for trading down a few picks there has to be a player that a team is dying to get. There isn't that kind of player at the front of the first round. There is no way a team moves up a few spots to 4 and gives us a second round pick for it. There isn't that kind of talent available.

In my opinion, this draft should play out well for what we should be targeting. That was before we released Patterson and Jenkins. With the holes we have, letting them go was bordering on insane.

In the first round, we should simply take the best offensive linemen available. Tackle or guard. To me the guy here is Chance Warmack without a doubt. Best football player in the draft.

Second round is where I really start to disagree with everyone. We need at least one starting safety. Matt Elam should be available here. If not, we take the best safety not named Reid (that guy is the most overrated player in the draft).

Round 3 should be about getting another safety or adding depth on the o line. Look for us to take S Tony Jefferson from Oklahoma in round 4 if he is there. Would be a steal if he is.