[News] Mayock: Read-Option Is Here To Stay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,814 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

The NFL Scouting Combine gives the next generation of NFL stars a chance to meet with teams and separate themselves from the pack. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock gave his thoughts on some of...

View the full article

#2 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

well i kno one thing...trade talks for foles happened a few days ago..and that wont be the end. he will get traded to kc by draft

#3 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Great...so let's get rid of the best young QB prospect we've had in decades in Foles, a big, SMART, strong, tough, pocket passing QB Field General...for ANOTHER 'running' QB....that we'll use for the THREAT of a run....for like 4, 5 or 6 plays a game....(per Mike Mayock)...and then....what about the rest of the 56 plays? We'll have a 'running' QB trying to imitate a 'pocket QB'. Great...only in Philly.

Again....

#4 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

its a tough situation.  foles can out play vick from a decision making standpoint. but vick has the bigger contract so he gets to start no matter what ppl say.  he wont be a back up at that price.  if an offer come for foles that is really good, he will be traded. if not he will be the back up until vick screws up.  which will also bring dixon into play depending on the teams record by mid season. so the next thing after vick screws up is who should take over dixon or foles. it will be a mess all season...but like i said  foles will most likely be traded to kc.

#5 trini

trini

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I like this kid Dion Jordon, another player of interest to me is this cat Magus Hunt kid at 06"08"  280lbs think he ran a 4.60 forty. Kyle Long adds experience in Chip Kelly up-tempo offence. would be a player we should add.

#6 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

"But just the threat of it %u2013 you run it four, five, six times a game %u2013 changes the way a defensive coordinator calls his game, and there is an advantage to the offense for that.%u201D

Sorry...this is just another gimmick.....this system will go the way of the wildcat, and you barely see that anymore.

Plus since it's know it-all-Mike Gay-ock....I have to disagree just because.

#7 trini

trini

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I like that part of Nick game for a youngster his decision making was very effective in Reids offense, he seemed to recognize what the D was trying better than Vick.  If E.J Manuel is around in the second round I think his size and speed and decision making would be of interest to Chip. I would be surprised if Nick does not end up in KC  vick has the bigger contract so he gets to start no matter what ppl say.  he wont be a back up at that price  According to Chip Kelly there will be open competition if Foles stays around the best QB not the one with the biggest contract starts.

#8 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I heard Mike Gay-ock put on the cuff-links for this interview, and you could just smell the arrogance.  It was stronger than his Aqua di Gio cologne.

#9 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

i hate when ppl repeat my comments.  chip kelly isnt stupid. the read option has its variations.... are only looking at it as a qb running.  play action passing can be used  a form of read option. the offense better be ready for the amount of plays they have to learn. there is going to be alot to cram

#10 TOUGBAY07

TOUGBAY07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Tim tebow to  the eagles anyone

#11 IgglezPhan95

IgglezPhan95

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

@TOUGBAY07...... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I really hope that your completely joking.

#12 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

i hate the vick hype that never goes away... under kelly vick has the potential to set an nfl record for most turnovers in a season if he hasnt already. injuries are the only thing keeping him from that record i suppose. his offense is all quick face paced decisions..mixed that with vick scrambling in man coverage.. it will be a scary thing. asking vick to read what he sees pre snap and during the movement of the hand off..omg...we are in trouble with him. i can see him running outside the pocket then deciding to throw the ball cross field as always getting picked off, or getting hit hard and hurt, being grabbed and still trying to throw the ball. but ppl for the last decade think THIS WILL CHANGE.  good luck..we will need it.

*fast pace

#13 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

i remember on this site how ppl complained  how mcnabb threw the ball low so much , soo many passes in the dirt. i would tell ppl he does that to live another play and not turn the ball over. he was one of the best in nfl history in not turning the rock over i think 3rd at the time or sumthin his td/int ratio.  but vick who we luv throws high and anywhere,  we are in trouble..until he is gone. if we sum how win the big game with him....id be happy.but still not a fan

#14 2timeouts

2timeouts

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Smith to KC to be reported 3/12/13 per Yardbarker

#15 SHADYcatch25

SHADYcatch25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Fan Since:#12 punted

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

trini....

You say Vick has the bigger contract so he gets the start no matter what, right?
Well I guess you didn't see that Alex Smith has a bigger contract then Colin Kaepernick and Smith was on the bench?

#16 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

smith was on the bench cause of injury.. if alex didnt get hurt he wouldnt of been benched for kap. thats the easy way to do it, much like foles did to vick after injury. vick wasnt really concussed that long.. they wanted to see if foles was the guy  for the future.

#17 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

we are in a position with a lot of decisions that will make or break or next few seasons.  what  to do with foles and vick is really a big thing. it affects the draft and season. we def need another 2nd round pick. im not sure on the defensive side in free agency is worth a take..alot of players are close to 30, u know thats the age in sports where u hit the decline

#18 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

well dee milliner  ran like a 4.37 40...guess hes our first pick lol.

#19 Kmarcelli

Kmarcelli

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

The Smith to KC rumors are disappointing. That was our ticket to draft picks in a Foles trade. Well that's that if KC gets Smith. Nick Foles will be on this roster and rotting away as Chip runs his offense, and he will run his offense. And we all know what that is and so does Chip and so does the Eagles front office. I don't get it. Nobody else will have any interest in Foles. Our chance to get some high draft picks for him is gone. Stubborn. Foles has limited skills period but especially does in a Chip Kelly offense.

#20 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

he does not have limited skills, and we dont know whart a chip kelly offense is..he said himself his offense is built around the players he has, all in all fast paced

#21 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

why does everyone think cause we have chip kelly we are just gonna qb run as our primary attack?? so if the qb option fades out like the wildcat are we going to fire chip kelly? the offense will be dynamic for a change.

#22 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

dub, mcnabb would miss a wide open receiver on a crossing route for an 8yd routine pass.  He was good, but  very inconsistent.  I also don't think anyone here can say there's love for Vick either, as you say.  Besides Shackleford on here, there's virtually no love for Vick.  Quite the opposite to be exact...

#23 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

cant agree with u on mcnabb. u are talking about mcnabb at the end of his rope.  he was easily in the top 4 of qbs on the nfl during his prime.  i wouldnt call anyone throwing to todd stinkston and fred ex inconsistent. once again what some will call inconsistent , is also not turning the ball over. if a qb feels he needs to ground the ball so its not picked so be it...any qb who can give a team as many wins as he gave us can ground as many passes as he sees fit.

#24 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

grounding em is fine when the heat is comin and there's nobody open.  It's not acceptable when you are not being pressured and a guy is wide open.  Nobody's perfect, but he was a bit too inconsistent in that dept to be considered "elite."  Look, I got no hate for McNabb whatsoever...his intangibles probably won us more games than he lost for us.  But his low throws were the result of poor mechanics, ie) the ball slipping on release or him holding onto it too long prior to release.  His spirals weren't all that pretty making things even tougher for our mediocre receivers, which I agree with you were mediocre for the most part during his tenure

#25 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

You're out of your mind if you think Chip isn't going to run his offense from Oregon. Also, McNabb is easily the best Eagles qb ever. He was elite for 4-5 years. Came 3 points away from beating Brady in the Super Bowl. That's pretty damn good

#26 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

rex grossman came close too cam...

#27 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Haha! So McNabb is Rex?

#28 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

ummm no...but coming close to winning a SB does not make you "elite"  that's my point

The Bears TEAM was a contender...as was the EAGLES team

and I don't think many would say Eli Manning is/was an 'elite' qb either....and he's got 2 SB's.....

#29 cam1288

cam1288

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Eli is clearly elite. McNabb was elite with or without the Super Bowl appearance. He was simply a top 5 qb. As is Eli now, no matter how dumb he looks in his interviews haha.

#30 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

the word "elite" to me brings up the names....montana...brady...aikman....favre...etc...

that's where I think we differ on terminology.....mcnabb might have been a top 4 or 5 QB for several seasons....compared to his peers at the time...but not "elite"