Photo
- - - - -

Redskins threaten to sue NFL and delay free agency start!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Regal

Regal

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Another reason to hate on Danny boy.....

http://profootballta...tore-cap-space/

#2 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hate him all you want. But if they have a legit case and can prove the NFL was in the wrong, I don't blame them one bit for trying to recoup some of that lost money. It basically F'd up a lot of their plans because it was announced, what, a day before last year's free agency started?

#3 Selgae

Selgae

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Fan Since:Buddy Ball

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

god I hate the effin Redskins

#4 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

The Eagle fan in me didn't care about them or the Cowboys losing cap space. The objective football fan in me thinks its effed up they got penalized. I don't see how you can penalize someone for an unwritten rule. Especially since every transaction they made had to be approved by league offices.

#5 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hate him all you want. But if they have a legit case and can prove the NFL was in the wrong, I don't blame them one bit for trying to recoup some of that lost money. It basically F'd up a lot of their plans because it was announced, what, a day before last year's free agency started?

What does "winning" look like for the Skins, though? They get a few million in cap space for one season and the NFL loses it's federal ant-trust exemption, costing the league (and Redskins) billions?

This bluster = ALL TALK.

#6 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Best case for the skins is the league "settles" with them and gives them half their money back for this year, so only $9 million in cap penalties instead of $18 million.

#7 GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,715 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Haven't they already lost this case in court?

#8 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,733 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Haven't they already lost this case in court?

An arbitrator dismissed the challenge in May.

#9 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Best case for the skins is the league "settles" with them and gives them half their money back for this year, so only $9 million in cap penalties instead of $18 million.

Zero chance. The BEST case scenario is this additional saber rattling doesn't get the NFL up inside their a** any further.

#10 Jefetio

Jefetio

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Snyder is mucho estupido. Yes my friends. Much stupid.

#11 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,129 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Every year the Skins are a major headline before free agency. What a joke.

#12 ruger45

ruger45

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Well it's no secret that two of the biggest ego driven owners in NFL were the receipents of these fines. They did what they did and got caught. The Snyder is great at making headlines in the offseason more time than not for the wrong reasons. Jones is no different. The one good thing the Skins had going for them this year (RG3) they managed to mess that up this year as well.

#13 CountBlah

CountBlah

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 35,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I hate the skins like no other, but I hope he does do it simply for the drama. Two hated people Snyder/Goodelll fighting head to head. I know I'll be entertained by the blood letting.

#14 sirvalence

sirvalence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts
  • Fan Since:2000-2001

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

I hope the Skins get their Asses handed to them

#15 fearthereaper

fearthereaper

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

If he wants to go nuclear he should be supporting the players union's collusion case when it goes to appeal.

#16 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I dont see how the Redskins could get the start of FA delayed. I understand why they want to possibally do that, but the other 31 teams have things that need to be done at certian times and deadlines on contracts that could possibally be cut/voided for a player with a huge cap bonus that they will recive if they are on the roster past a certiabn date. The Skins cant hold up the entire NFL b/c the wanna cry and stomp like lilttle kids b/c they got caught doing something they were told NOT TO DO.

Only the Redkins and Cowboys "broke" that rule. The Cowboys sucked it up and took the entire hit last year. The Redskins need to suck it up and pay for thier breking of the rules IMO!!!!

#17 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I dont see how the Redskins could get the start of FA delayed. I understand why they want to possibally do that, but the other 31 teams have things that need to be done at certian times and deadlines on contracts that could possibally be cut/voided for a player with a huge cap bonus that they will recive if they are on the roster past a certiabn date. The Skins cant hold up the entire NFL b/c the wanna cry and stomp like lilttle kids b/c they got caught doing something they were told NOT TO DO.

Only the Redkins and Cowboys "broke" that rule. The Cowboys sucked it up and took the entire hit last year. The Redskins need to suck it up and pay for thier breking of the rules IMO!!!!

Thats what the article was saying near the end though. If the Skins try to delay the start of free agency they will likely lose because a) they filed late. FA is in two weeks and 2) the redskins winning the NFC east in 2012 hurts their chances in begging for their money back (with I think is BS)

I think the Skins have a good chance in getting the money back but it may not take effect until 2014 season. FA starts in two weeks and obviously this case is something that would take forever to settle.

I hate the Skins but it does sound like they got screwed. And I also wonder if the Skins chances decrease since Jerry Jones hasn't threatened the NFL just like Snyder has. Snyder would have better chances if Jones would follow suit.

#18 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thats what the article was saying near the end though. If the Skins try to delay the start of free agency they will likely lose because a) they filed late. FA is in two weeks and 2) the redskins winning the NFC east in 2012 hurts their chances in begging for their money back (with I think is BS)

I think the Skins have a good chance in getting the money back but it may not take effect until 2014 season. FA starts in two weeks and obviously this case is something that would take forever to settle.

I hate the Skins but it does sound like they got screwed. And I also wonder if the Skins chances decrease since Jerry Jones hasn't threatened the NFL just like Snyder has. Snyder would have better chances if Jones would follow suit.

Jerry Jones and the Dallas cowboys broke a rule and had the same penalty as the Redskins. The difference is the Cowboys took the entire cap hit all in 1 year (last year) The Redskins decided to take option B that Godell offered them and the Cowboys that they could split the money up over 2 years so it wouldnt kill the cap. Thats the direction Washington went by paying 50% last year and the other 50% was due on the cap this season.

Like I said Jerry Jones did the smart thing and took the enitre hit on the 2012 cap. Now the Skins are mad about it???? They shouldnt have broken the rule Godell told them not to do, and the Skins and Cowboys were the only 2 teams that didnt listen, but Jerry Jones and the Cowboys took it like a man and served his penalty unlike good ole Danny boy

#19 CharGP02A

CharGP02A

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm siding with the Washington Redskins on this. There was no rule about this so they shouldn't be penalized. Period.

#20 SamEaglesFan

SamEaglesFan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'm siding with the Washington Redskins on this. There was no rule about this so they shouldn't be penalized. Period.

Agreed, and I hate the Redskins. The Ginger Hammer metes out punishment as he sees fit and punishes some franchises to excess (see Saints), and others he destroys evidence of misconduct (see Patriots and SpyGate). He is a disgrace.

I am not crying that the Skins are punished, but fair is fair.

#21 GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,715 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

An arbitrator dismissed the challenge in May.

Thanks.

I'd actually side with the Skins but Danny is such a **** nugget that I just can't.

#22 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

You should side with the NFL on this one. Collusion and monopoly are what makes the sport great.

If teams would have truly treated the "uncapped year" as an uncapped year, the league would have been broken for decades. All the owners knew it, but leave it to the two biggest dopes to roll the dice for a competitive advantage.

They were warned, they tried to call the league's bluff, and now they have to get their shine box.

#23 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,716 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

You should side with the NFL on this one. Collusion and monopoly are what makes the sport great.

If teams would have truly treated the "uncapped year" as an uncapped year, the league would have been broken for decades. All the owners knew it, but leave it to the two biggest dopes to roll the dice for a competitive advantage.

They were warned, they tried to call the league's bluff, and now they have to get their shine box.

Yup.

#24 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,617 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

The NFL should just threaten to make them change their team name, that'll shut them up.