Photo
- - - - -

End of d-line: Eagles sack Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson

les bowen daily news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,960 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Bowen

End of d-line: Eagles sack Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson

LES BOWEN, Daily News Staff Writer bowenl@phillynews.com

Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 12:52 AM

MIKE PATTERSON and Cullen Jenkins were loyal soldiers who worked hard and never caused problems, but their general was exiled to Kansas City, and his replacement envisions a different type of army.

The Eagles still haven't confirmed they are moving to a 3-4 front under new coach Chip Kelly. Nonetheless, Monday they began retooling for just that, releasing Patterson and Jenkins, two veteran defensive tackles who aren't hefty enough to be great 3-4 nose tackles and would seem to lack the height and power to be great 3-4 ends. The Eagles seem to have saved about $8 million in 2013 salary-cap money with the moves.

Patterson, who turns 30 in September, was the longest-tenured Eagle, having been drafted in the first round in 2005, 31st overall. He was a steady, reliable performer Andy Reid could plug in and never worry about, year after year, through 115 games and 99 starts. Jenkins, 32, was part of the disastrous free-agent push in 2011 that didn't come close to working out as envisioned, though Jenkins gave the Eagles two respectable seasons.

Patterson said he'd been looking forward to trying to make his case on the practice field; he said he is in excellent shape and at 6-1, has his weight down to 295, which might have made him a little more viable as a 3-4 end.

"They just had a different idea and opinion about it," Patterson said. "But I'm just real appreciative of the time they gave me. I loved it out here; the fans were good and the football team, I've always been good with that, despite even last year. It was just a good atmosphere . . . We had each other's backs, no matter what."

Both players said they intend to continue their careers.

"Probably so," Patterson said, when asked if he thought the Eagles were looking for a different sort of defensive lineman now. "From what I understand, they didn't feel real comfortable with me in a 'three' front. Though I disagree with it . . . it's part of the business . . . I've been here 8 years, and it's been a great time."

Jenkins tweeted: "Thank you Eagles for everything the last 2 years. Thank you fans. Sorry we didn't accomplish anything, but thank you all. Best wishes . . . let's see where the next chapter takes us."

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman released statements praising both players.

"Mike Patterson is one of the toughest players I have ever been around in the National Football League," Roseman said. "He has overcome many obstacles throughout his career, and I have the utmost respect for him because of it. Coach Kelly and I each had great conversations with him today. He is a class act. He gave this organization 8 great seasons of hard work and dedication and we wish him all the best as he continues his career in this league."

Patterson collapsed on the practice field at Lehigh on Aug. 3, 2011. He was found to have a tangle of blood vessels in his brain that needed postseason surgery. He wasn't able to get the medical OK to return to football until the middle of last season, and ended up appearing in only five games.

Roseman said Jenkins, 6-2, 305, who started every game the past two season, totaling 9 1/2 sacks, "has been a very productive player in this league for a long time but we felt it in our team's best interests that we go in a different direction . . . we wish Cullen and his family all the best as he continues his NFL career."

This seems to be shaping up as a good draft for defensive linemen, plus there's free agency starting March 12. Who else from last year's defensive line could leave? Darryl Tapp and Derek Landri are pending unrestricted free agents. They won't be back. Hard to see how Phillip Hunt plays in a 3-4, unless he can drop into coverage as a linebacker.

Who's sure to stay? Fletcher Cox, who seems a near-ideal 3-4 end. Trent Cole, not obviously a natural 3-4 linebacker, but someone whose release would incur $6 million in dead cap money. Brandon Graham. Vinny Curry, because he was a second-round pick last year. Cedric Thornton, probably. Antonio Dixon, the pending starter right now at nose tackle, as the only guy on the roster with that body type. And that might be it.

Elsewhere on the roster, we know Roseman met with Ben Dogra, agent for corner Nnamdi Asomugha, to bring up the subject of Asomugha taking a pay cut from $15 million this season. The Eagles have to pay Asomugha $4 million this year (and incur a $4 million cap hit) whether he plays for them or not, so they're making an effort to fit him in, but sources close to the situation don't seem real hopeful that will work out.

On Twitter: @LesBowen

LES BOWEN
Daily News Staff Writer bowenl@phillynews.com

#2 mrfitsaro

mrfitsaro

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Even at a salary that would equal his dead cap space if he's cut which is like having him on the roster for free, what is the value of keeping Namdi? He seems like a quitter and is not young. Maybe as an extra reserve that doesn't dress unless there are injuries at the cb spot but even then you still have the guy in the locker room which might not be a good thing. Shout out to Patterson, he gave 8 good years to the team and was never in the news for anything stupid.

#3 eagle45

eagle45

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,754 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Classy exit from both of them. I wish both the best, especially Patterson.

#4 egforever

egforever

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I was rooting for Patterson to make the team as a DE or DT. To bad and we'll miss the big guy. Thanks Patterson!

#5 NCTANK

NCTANK

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Classy exit from both of them. I wish both the best, especially Patterson.

indeed

#6 Moe Greene

Moe Greene

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,244 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

the defense is going to take 2-3 years to get where it needs to be. we may have an exciting offense this year but the d is going to suck, but that's ok. as long as they have a vision and they go about finding the right personnel, I'll be patient with that. to a point.