- - - - -

What are your thoughts on the Falcons this offseason?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,802 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

About the Atlanta Falcons this off-season??

I saw that rumor floating around somewhere on the internet land. The Rams and Jackson are parting ways this year and with Turner falling off the faceof the earth this season in Atlanta, do you see a chance that the Falcons go hard and sign Steven Jackson to a 1-2yr deal??

#2 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Here you go..... this is pulled from NFL.com

Six teams that make sense for Steven Jackson

#3 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,059 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Technically Jackson voided the last year of his contract, so he's effectively a FA. Turner is no longer an every down guy, so Jackson makes a lot of sense especially since the Falcons will be leaning on J. Rogers to pick up the workload and he's already had trouble staying healthy.

#4 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

The Falcons have a very limited amount of available CAp space right now (roughly $3M) and have far more pressing needs than RB:

1. Secondary: Grimes, Moore, Hope Owens and McClain are all UFAs.
2. OL: Starting LT (Baker) and C (McClure) are UFAs.
3. Trying to entice (UFA) Gonzales back for 1 more year.
4. Upgrading the pass rush.

They'll be able to find a good RB in the mid-rpunds of the draft so I don't see how/why they would waste any of their limited resources on a 30 yr old RB.

#5 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostMightyJNC, on 27 February 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

The Falcons have a very limited amount of available CAp space right now (roughly $3M) and have far more pressing needs than RB:

1. Secondary: Grimes, Moore, Hope Owens and McClain are all UFAs.
2. OL: Starting LT (Baker) and C (McClure) are UFAs.
3. Trying to entice (UFA) Gonzales back for 1 more year.
4. Upgrading the pass rush.

They'll be able to find a good RB in the mid-rpunds of the draft so I don't see how/why they would waste any of their limited resources on a 30 yr old RB.

I was just thinking along the lines of they will try to load up everywhere they can for a Super Bowl run in 2013 season, then worry about the cap after the season when they will have fo "fire-sale" a handful of over-priced players...

Kinda like the Baltimore Ravens did for the 2001 seasom (they won the title in 2000). I think Tony G. will stay for 1 more year and thats why I see them possibally re-doing a few deals. Just a thought.

#6 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Postbumpy93, on 27 February 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I was just thinking along the lines of they will try to load up everywhere they can for a Super Bowl run in 2013 season, then worry about the cap after the season when they will have fo "fire-sale" a handful of over-priced players...

Kinda like the Baltimore Ravens did for the 2001 seasom (they won the title in 2000). I think Tony G. will stay for 1 more year and thats why I see them possibally re-doing a few deals. Just a thought.

I think if there was any year for the Falcons to put it all together and do it, it was 2012. The Saints had the bounty fallout, the Bucs and Panthers were both "meh", they had home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and the Ravens were far from a juggernaut opponent in the Super Bowl. Not to say they can't be competitive going forward, but the rest of that division is going to be better next year. Last year was their best chance... kinda like the 2002 Eagles.

#7 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostDawkins 20, on 27 February 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I think if there was any year for the Falcons to put it all together and do it, it was 2012. The Saints had the bounty fallout, the Bucs and Panthers were both "meh", they had home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and the Ravens were far from a juggernaut opponent in the Super Bowl. Not to say they can't be competitive going forward, but the rest of that division is going to be better next year. Last year was their best chance... kinda like the 2002 Eagles.

Like I said, I think they could load up for a major run this year. I could see them re-doing alot of deals to free up cap space to try to do this

#8 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postbumpy93, on 27 February 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

But if they don't keep the secondary and OL as intact as possible and either resign Tony or find a TE replacement to at least pick up some the considerable slack he carried I don't think it will matter who they have at RB as far as being a legit SB contender.

#9 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Turner didn't fall off the face of the earth . ATL just became more of a passim team this year and with the emergence of Rodgers, Turner just didn't have as many opportunities to carry the rock.

#10 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postaxe_man_trotter, on 27 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Turner didn't fall off the face of the earth . ATL just became more of a passim team this year and with the emergence of Rodgers, Turner just didn't have as many opportunities to carry the rock.

Look up his #'s over the last few years.... Hes been getting less and less YPC each year. This past season he averaged 1yd less per carry over the previous season. When RBs go, they go right away. They hardly ever slowly decline. They just fall off the face of the earth as I said. His #'s show that.

#11 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postbumpy93, on 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Look up his #'s over the last few years.... Hes been getting less and less YPC each year. This past season he averaged 1yd less per carry over the previous season. When RBs go, they go right away. They hardly ever slowly decline. They just fall off the face of the earth as I said. His #'s show that.

He only average .5 YPG less Than Jackson did and scored 6 more rushing TDs.  IMO Atlanta has far more pressing offseason needs than spending FA $s on a 30 year old RB if they want to remain a legit contender.

#12 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostMightyJNC, on 27 February 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

He only average .5 YPG less Than Jackson did and scored 6 more rushing TDs.  IMO Atlanta has far more pressing offseason needs than spending FA $s on a 30 year old RB if they want to remain a legit contender.

I agree with you about the Falcons having far more important needs then Steevn Jackson, it was just a article I saw somewhere on the 'net like I said, but it also kinda made sense until I noticed thier cap position.

#13 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postbumpy93, on 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

I agree with you about the Falcons having far more important needs then Steevn Jackson, it was just a article I saw somewhere on the 'net like I said, but it also kinda made sense until I noticed thier cap position.

If Jackson were in his prime and the missing piece to their SB puzzle it would make sense but he's not on either count.

#14 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostMightyJNC, on 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

If Jackson were in his prime and the missing piece to their SB puzzle it would make sense but he's not on either count.

Where do you predict that he lands at? I could see Cincy also. They do have the "law-firm" in ben- jarvis Green Ellis but he isnt really a weapon that keeps opposing DC's up the night before they play them.

#15 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

View Postbumpy93, on 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Where do you predict that he lands at? I could see Cincy also. They do have the "law-firm" in ben- jarvis Green Ellis but he isnt really a weapon that keeps opposing DC's up the night before they play them.

I know he has the option to void the remainder of his contract but has he even done that yet?

#16 PolkaDotPants

PolkaDotPants

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Steven Jackson has expressed that he would like to play for a contending team as possibly a 3rd down back. He wants his carries to be limited.

#17 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostPolkaDotPants, on 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Steven Jackson has expressed that he would like to play for a contending team as possibly a 3rd down back. He wants his carries to be limited.
Sounds like the Packers to me but I don't know their cap situation.

#18 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postgibsonplyer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

Sounds like the Packers to me but I don't know their cap situation.

They're in solid shape, roughly $11M under with the option to roll another $7M over.  The only UFAs they probably consider high priorities are Shields and Brad Jones so they could pursue Jackson if they wanted to.

#19 mayanh8

mayanh8

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,990 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

That team is dead without Tony Gonzalez. They better hope to baby jesus he doesn't retire.

#20 bigmac65

bigmac65

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I don't give a rats a** about the Falcons or that old RB Steven Jackson.

#21 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think the Packers make alot of sense for a 1-2yr deal.

#22 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 29,565 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

My thoughts on the falcons?

They are the NFC South's version of the Philadelphia Eagles. Always banging on the door but crap the bed when it's crunch-time.

#23 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

They freed up a **** load of cap today. Sad day for me as Abraham was my favorite player, hopefully he tests the market and comes back cheaper. Turner and Robinson were kind of expected.

#24 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

this offseason, i still think that matty ice is the gheyest nickname in the nfl...

#25 RUEagle

RUEagle

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,606 posts
  • Fan Since:Cognizance

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Always liked and respect Stephen Jackson.  Really an excellent RB who didn't get enough credit because of playing for an awful football team for so long.  If he wants to go to a contender, more power to him.

#26 EAGLES8690

EAGLES8690

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostNorCalEagle, on 01 March 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

this offseason, i still think that matty ice is the gheyest nickname in the nfl...
It really is a stupid nickname.All I think of when I hear it is that cheap a** nasty beer.It fits him though cause they always melt in the playoffs.

#27 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostEAGLES8690, on 01 March 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

It really is a stupid nickname.All I think of when I hear it is that cheap a** nasty beer.It fits him though cause they always melt in the playoffs.
But they make it, don't they? And it doesn't make sense in that regard. Matt Ryan showed why his nickname was Matty Ice in the playoffs this year with a 34 second comeback. If he didn't hurt his shoulder the play before trying to draw a PI flag on 4th down, he might have done it twice.

#28 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostThe_Talon, on 28 February 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

They are the NFC South's version of the Philadelphia Eagles. Always banging on the door but crap the bed when it's crunch-time.

#29 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostThe_Talon, on 28 February 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

The said thing is, the Eagles don't even crap the bed any more. They come charging out of the starting gate ishing all over the track.

#30 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

They "saved" #15.9 million with those cuts yesterday. Im sure some of that money is going to a new Ryan contract, but they are also going to try to make a splach IMO. They need a RB (doesnt have to be a pro-bowler) but something better then Turner was this past year. I could see them going hard after some defensive pass rushing studs or some DBs IMO