- - - - -

Position Changes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle_in_ATL

Eagle_in_ATL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Dave,
The primary question is, who do you see changing positions this year?   Of course I'm talking Defense.  If Nnamdi stays, do you have him staying at the CB1 spot or do you give him a shot at safety?  He's lost a step or two, he has good instincts, and his best man coverage has been agaisnt TE's.  Same question on the front 7.  OLB  vs ILB, DE vs NT?  How does this thing shape up if Jeff Lurie says, Chip Kelly is fired and Dave Spadaro is our new Head Coach and you have to go with our current roster of players?

Side question: Why don't you guys do more Eagles Insider shows in the offseason?  It would've been great to have you guys report from the combine.  Can you do a draft show?

#2 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,568 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Changes, get rid of Casey matthews,  trade Cole, he does'nt fit a 3-4 in any way, Cheney as well

#3 Sebo

Sebo

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Fan Since:1955

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 28 February 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Changes, get rid of Casey matthews,  trade Cole, he does'nt fit a 3-4 in any way, Cheney as well
We're cutting D Cheney?  I thought he was out of office?

#4 eaglepride

eaglepride

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I would hope they find a new position for Curry if he doesn't fit this new system. He was considered a nice pick but never really got on the field too much under Reid.

#5 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,568 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Posteaglepride, on 01 March 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

I would hope they find a new position for Curry if he doesn't fit this new system. He was considered a nice pick but never really got on the field too much under Reid.
That was more Washburn , he stuck with Babin abd Cole and never gave Curry and Graham a shot

#6 bpac55

bpac55

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Nnamdi would be a worse safety then he is at cb right now.  He has horrendous ball skills and is terrible in space.  That would be a nightmare

#7 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postbpac55, on 02 March 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Nnamdi would be a worse safety then he is at cb right now. He has horrendous ball skills and is terrible in space. That would be a nightmare

And he makes up for that by not being able to tackle.

#8 PhillyPhan13

PhillyPhan13

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

How do you know he can't tackle? Every time a receiver caught the ball over Nnamdi he was in the the end zone. :)

#9 total-e-wired

total-e-wired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have a question.
(1st I have not played football at any time other than the school yard)
Has anyone heard of an o lineman moving to the d side?
Now I am not a fan of King Dunlap but his size seems like it would be a good fit at nose tackle, or is he too tall? I personally don't know how being too tall on the D could be that negative. It does seem to be a problem with him on the o line. Would it be extremely hard for someone to move to the other side?

#10 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

View Posttotal-e-wired, on 02 March 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I have a question.
Now I am not a fan of King Dunlap but his size seems like it would be a good fit at nose tackle, or is he too tall? I personally don't know how being too tall on the D could be that negative. It does seem to be a problem with him on the o line. Would it be extremely hard for someone to move to the other side?

Dude, Reid is gone.   And hopefully goofy s***t like that is gone along with him.

#11 mav81

mav81

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

View Posttotal-e-wired, on 02 March 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I have a question.
Way too tall. NT's are short and stout. They need a low center to take on two guys at a time.

#12 total-e-wired

total-e-wired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking the Eagles should try this. It just seems like was not very good on the o side so he might be better served to change.  I personally was a bit surprised when he came back.

#13 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,568 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 02 March 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Dude, Reid is gone.   And hopefully goofy s***t like that is gone along with him.

What about your boy Bellicheck with Troy Brown playing CB and Kelcko playing FB?

#14 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 05 March 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

What about your boy Bellicheck with Troy Brown playing CB and Kelcko playing FB?

He actually knew what he was doing.

#15 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,568 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostHighboy, on 05 March 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

He actually knew what he was doing.

Sure he does, just like his drafting on the defensive side of the ball too

#16 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 05 March 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Sure he does, just like his drafting on the defensive side of the ball too

well, yeah, his record and achievements speak for themselves.

#17 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,568 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostHighboy, on 05 March 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

well, yeah, his record, video tapping, having an owner who best friends w/ Goodell and losing twice to an average Giants team twice speak for themselves.

There ya go trooper

#18 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 05 March 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Yeah, what about Belicheck, Rodney?       How about this - with Brown he redefined an average WR into a valuable two-way player and extended his career, and in the process created a player who helped him win Super Bowls.

He has taken guys like Julian Edelman who probably wouldn't otherwise still be in the NFL, and turned them into valuable contributors.

Reid on the other hand has ruined players' careers before they even got started (Gocong, Hunt) by forcing them to play out of position, and hurt the Eagles by putting guys in spots they could never have handled (Simenau, Considine).

So what's your point again?

#19 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 05 March 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

How about this - with Brown he redefined an average WR into a valuable two-way player and extended his career, and in the process created a player who helped him win Super Bowls.

Average WR ? Brown is the Patriots' all-time leading punt returner with 252 returns for 2,625 yards and 3 touchdowns. He is second all-time in Patriots history in receptions (557) and second all-time in receiving yards (6,366).  Brown was much better than an average WR and clearly just an all around very good football player who also was a team leader and coach favorite.  I believe he was drafted by your buddy Bill Parcells in the 8th round.  Not bad huh ?

He has taken guys like Julian Edelman who probably wouldn't otherwise still be in the NFL, and turned them into valuable contributors.
Reid did that with Greg Lewis.  In fact, BB gave up a pick in a trade to acquire Lewis.  

Reid on the other hand has ruined players' careers before they even got started (Gocong, Hunt) by forcing them to play out of position, and hurt the Eagles by putting guys in spots they could never have handled (Simenau, Considine).
Reid didn't put Considine in a bad spot. Considine is just a mediocre S and a good ST player who just won a SB with the Ravens.  He also earned a starting S spot for the Jags (fwiw although not much).  
Without defending Simoneau (who I hated), he led the Eagles in tackles and played LB for 3 other NFL teams.
Hunt ?  If you mean Phillip Hunt, he was cut by the Browns and playing in the CFL when Reid signed him.  He is still on the roster and imo isn't suited for any position other than the one he played. Did Reid "ruin" another Hunt's career ?
Gocong ?  Bad pick, but a kid from Cal Poly who wasn't able to succeed in the Eagles scheme was traded to Cleveland and didn't do much there before an injury ended his career.
The NFL has lots of Considines, Gocongs, Hunts, et al.  It is what it is.  I don't know that Reid has had more than his share of them under his watch.  

Without taking any credit away from Belichick, and without giving Reid any credit, your post has little merit.

#20 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 05 March 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Without taking any credit away from Belichick, and without giving Reid any credit, your post has little merit.

1.  Brown would have gone down as a nice WR, but instead is remembered as not a two way, but a terrific, unselfish three way player who was a major contributor to the Pats' Super Bowl wins.      Belicheck gets credit for that, regardless who drafted him.

2.  Reid did what exactly with Greg Lewis?      An average WR and then a stellar PR?       A bit of a stretch.

3.  Considine was never going to be more than a nickel corner and ST player.     Reid decided that he should gain 20 lbs. (which Spadaro breathlessly reported here) and be the strong safety.      Brilliant, and yet the fan base took it out on Considine when it failed!?! :wacko:

4.  Simoneau was a pretty solid WILL who Reid decided would make a great replacement for Trotter in the middle at 235 lbs.     Again, brilliant.      And again, the fans (like you) blame the player for not being able to get blood from a stone.

5.  Tony Hunt, a stud RB from Penn State who could never succeed in Reid's idiotic offense, so he made him a FB?      Similarly, see another genius pick, Ryan Moats, who we bypassed Marion Barber to take.       Thanks for bringing back all these great memories! ;)

6.  Gocong, a record setting sack machine at Cal Poly that Reid decided would be a good 3rd round investment to ...... cover tight ends?!?!

C'mon, CT, you can't win here.       The Reid era is littered with these kinds of idiotic moves that hurt both the players involved and the team.       The results pretty much speak for themselves.

#21 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Comparing Reid to Belichek isn't even close and its stupid that this debate still goes on. Belichek has 3 rings, Reid has zero. That's all that matters. People can try and quantify that any way they want and try to discredit Belichek any way they want but during Reid's tenure, there were more pro bowlers on the Eagles roster than any other franchise in the NFL. Fact. He had the franchise QB, he had the stud defensive coordinator, and he had the steady stream of pro bowl talent. He couldn't get it done. Belichek got it done. His complex defensive schemes that confused even the best QBs in the league (ask Peyton Manning) for years had every bit as much to do with his rings as Tom Brady's greatness, in some cases even more so. He's managed to that franchise in contention for over 12 years now. The guy is coming close to being able to break Don Shula's games won record. 5 Super Bowl appearances and 3 rings speak for themselves. So yeah, he can afford to play around and get creative with his personnel. He's proven to make it work. Reid's experiments have fallen flat on their face. End of discussion.

#22 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostHighboy, on 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Comparing Reid to Belichek isn't even close and its stupid that this debate still goes on. Belichek has 3 rings, Reid has zero. That's all that matters. People can try and quantify that any way they want and try to discredit Belichek any way they want but during Reid's tenure, there were more pro bowlers on the Eagles roster than any other franchise in the NFL. Fact. He had the franchise QB, he had the stud defensive coordinator, and he had the steady stream of pro bowl talent. He couldn't get it done. Belichek got it done. His complex defensive schemes that confused even the best QBs in the league (ask Peyton Manning) for years had every bit as much to do with his rings as Tom Brady's greatness, in some cases even more so. He's managed to that franchise in contention for over 12 years now. The guy is coming close to being able to break Don Shula's games won record. 5 Super Bowl appearances and 3 rings speak for themselves. So yeah, he can afford to play around and get creative with his personnel. He's proven to make it work. Reid's experiments have fallen flat on their face. End of discussion.

Pretty much says it, and yet the Rodney's and CT's want to continue to debate it.          It really is like shooting fish in a barrel.

#23 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 06 March 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Pretty much says it, and yet the Rodney's and CT's want to continue to debate it.   It really is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Reid isn't in the same league as BB and there is no debating it in my opinion.  I have never felt otherwise.  Don't lump me in with Rodney on this subject.

#24 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 05 March 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

1.  Brown would have gone down as a nice WR, but instead is remembered as not a two way, but a terrific, unselfish three way player who was a major contributor to the Pats' Super Bowl wins.   Belicheck gets credit for that, regardless who drafted him.
Brown was a very good PR and WR.  Credit Brown with that. Not BB.  His stint as a DB was great and credit BB and Brown for that.

2.  Reid did what exactly with Greg Lewis?   An average WR and then a stellar PR?    A bit of a stretch.
Julian Edelman isn't all that different than Greg Lewis

3.  Considine was never going to be more than a nickel corner and ST player. Reid decided that he should gain 20 lbs. (which Spadaro breathlessly reported here) and be the strong safety.   Brilliant, and yet the fan base took it out on Considine when it failed!?! :wacko:
Considine was always going to be a mediocre S and good ST player.  That has nothing to do with Reid aside from the fact that we didn't get someone better.

4.  Simoneau was a pretty solid WILL who Reid decided would make a great replacement for Trotter in the middle at 235 lbs. Again, brilliant.   And again, the fans (like you) blame the player for not being able to get blood from a stone.
Sim lead the team in tackles.  Ever consider JJ thought he could play MLB ?  Sim was just average and that is that.  Trotter was a huge liability against the pass.

5.  Tony Hunt, a stud RB from Penn State who could never succeed in Reid's idiotic offense, so he made him a FB?   Similarly, see another genius pick, Ryan Moats, who we bypassed Marion Barber to take.    Thanks for bringing back all these great memories! ;)
Tony Hunt was a PSU RB bust.  Add him to the list.  I don't blame Reid for Hunt's lack of productivity, I blame Reid and the Eagles for a bad draft pick.

6.  Gocong, a record setting sack machine at Cal Poly that Reid decided would be a good 3rd round investment to ...... cover tight ends?!?!
Gocong didn't pan out.  Bad pick.  Reid thought he could somehow fit in a 4-3 and was dead wrong.  He wasn't much as a LB is a 3-4 either.  
  The Reid era is littered with these kinds of idiotic moves that hurt both the players involved and the team.    The results pretty much speak for themselves.
True, but those idiotic moves happen all the time, all over the NFL.  

#25 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 06 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Reid isn't in the same league as BB and there is no debating it in my opinion.  I have never felt otherwise.  Don't lump me in with Rodney on this subject.

I was going to say that.

#26 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 06 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Just tweakin' you to see if you'd bite.  ^_^

#27 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 06 March 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Just tweakin' you to see if you'd bite.  ^_^
Kinda like saying that Parcell's deserves the credit for drafting Troy Brown !

#28 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,568 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

View Postmjkvol, on 05 March 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

1.  Brown would have gone down as a nice WR, but instead is remembered as not a two way, but a terrific, unselfish three way player who was a major contributor to the Pats' Super Bowl wins.   Belicheck gets credit for that, regardless who drafted him.

2.  Reid did what exactly with Greg Lewis?   An average WR and then a stellar PR?    A bit of a stretch.

3.  Considine was never going to be more than a nickel corner and ST player. Reid decided that he should gain 20 lbs. (which Spadaro breathlessly reported here) and be the strong safety.   Brilliant, and yet the fan base took it out on Considine when it failed!?! :wacko:

4.  Simoneau was a pretty solid WILL who Reid decided would make a great replacement for Trotter in the middle at 235 lbs. Again, brilliant.   And again, the fans (like you) blame the player for not being able to get blood from a stone.

5.  Tony Hunt, a stud RB from Penn State who could never succeed in Reid's idiotic offense, so he made him a FB?   Similarly, see another genius pick, Ryan Moats, who we bypassed Marion Barber to take.    Thanks for bringing back all these great memories! ;)

C'mon, CT, you can't win here.    The Reid era is littered with these kinds of idiotic moves that hurt both the players involved and the team.    The results pretty much speak for themselves.
JJ was the one who put players on D in their positions, he wanted Gocong @ SSLB due to run problems, Sim played MLB in college and was more like 245 from what I have been told/read and was put at MLB because we had no one until Trooter was brought back. Lewis was a servicable #4 WR and made some plays in that role (SB TD ) if you can get that from a # 4 WR then it's a good thing. Considine among the many Safteys we drafted pre and post Dawkins was just a draft pick that was meant to be on special teams and limited starter if that.