Philidelphia Eagles 2014 offseason predictions/preferences
1)Jeremy Maclin: Good playmaker and will do well in Chip Kelly's offense next season. Is productive player although he is injury prone, I think he's too good for the Eagles to let him walk. Should come back for a 1-3 year deal.
2)Riley Cooper: Big target the Eagles need WR and he is a great downfield threat. Good chemistry with Nick Foles and he loves Chip Kelly's offense. He'll do even better next season with Maclin and Jackson taking more attention from Cooper.
3)Nate Allen: He has played well this season and has earned a contract to come back in 2014
4)Cedric Thorton: He has been great on the Eagles D-line as he had a breakout season in the new 3-4 defense. He should get locked up with a 4 year deal and help the Eagles pass rush for years to come
5)Donnie Jones: He is just a great punter, Eagles gotta keep him
6)Colt Anderson: He's a good special teamer and brings plenty of effort to the field
7)Kurt Coleman: Eagles sign him to a one year deal and he plays back-up safety and competes for spot on 53 man roster
Trade: Bryce Brown and Brandon Graham to Cleveland or Jacksonville for a 3rd round draft pick. Strong draft class and these players would work out for either of those teams and another 3rd round pick earlier in the round can give the Eagles a chance for a more productive player that can contribute more in 2014
Free Agency: Eagles are going to have some spending money this offseason and they have the ability to add a star defensive player and some veteran role players to help fill some holes
1) Safety- Jarius Byrd (from Bills)- The star ball hawking safety the Eagles need and its a plus he used to play for Chip Kelly Oregon. Will do great at FS and Patrick Chung would have the ability to come up run support more, so the Eagles could establish a more physical defense Plan B: Safety- TJ Ward(from Browns)
2)Safety- Taylor Mays(from Bengals)- Talented safety who can hit hard and is a good athlete in coverage. If the Bengals don't re-sign him, then he would be a very good fit in the safety rotation
3)CB- Charles Tillman(from Bears)- Turnover machine and could be a productive player for the Eagles defense in 2014 with Force Fumbles, interceptions and solid tackling, but more importantly he is a veteran corner and the Eagles plan to draft a young CB and Tillman could be a great mentor
4)Inside Linebacker- Joe Mays(from the Texans)- He is a great tackler and has played in a few 3-4 defenses and now I think he comes back to Philly where he started his career. He's good to compete with Kendricks for a starting job and that should help his development, Plus Joe Mays would really help with the Eagles LB rotation
5)Tight End- Bear Pascoe(from Giants)- He is a big TE who block. He would really help the Eagles run to the outside and is a great situational substitution player if the Eagles need some extra pass protection. He also has above average hands and provides another big target for Foles
If either Arthur Jones or Ryan Pickett enter free agency, I think the Eagles should offer them a contract. They are both big D-lineman from championship teams with 3-4
defenses and could be a strong presence in the Eagles front 7. The Eagles could probably add some depth to the O-line as well, however I think the starters are in place for the 2014 season.
Eagles 7 Round Mock Draft (25th overall):
1. Oregon CB- Ifo Ekpre-Olomu 5'10'' 190lbs
2. Stanford ILB- Shane Skov 6'3'' 242lbs
3.(Browns or Jaguars pick) Oregon RB- De'Anthony Thomas 5'9'' 176 lbs
3. LSU SS- Craig Loston 6'2'' 205
4. Tennesse DT- Daniel McCullers 6'6'' 377lbs
5. Oregon DE- Taylor Hart 6'5'' 292 lbs
6. Jackson State CB- Qua Cox 5'10'' 185 lbs
7. Oregon TE- Colt Lyeria 6'5'' 246lbs
1) Cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: Physical corner with 4 INTs and 6 Forced Fumbles, he is a similar type of player Tillman is and that is why Tillman is the perfect NFL mentor to him. Good coverage skills and helps establish a more physical defense for the Eagles. He could be Cornerback of the future in Philly for Chip Kellys team
2) Inside Linebacker Shane Skov: Explosive linebacker with good size and a consistent tackler. Can play inside or outside linebacker for the Eagles, but I don't think he wins a starting job right away. Has some pass rush ability and he does well against the run, however he lacks some coverage skills. Could potentially become ILB for the Eagles after Demeco Ryans career is done in Philly
3) Running Back De'Anthony Thomas: Big time playmaker with a 4.25 40-time and he has good ball carrier vision. He can find a starting job as the return man in Philly and he would fit well in Chip Kelly's offense. His primary role will be in special teams and he's the kind of player who can take it to the house whenever he gets the ball in space.
3) Strong Safety Craig Loston: He is a hard hitting safety with very good size and good instincts. He can help set the tone for the Eagles defense and he would fill a role nicely. He's a good football player, but he needs to work on his tackling to make an impact in the NFL, although he does have Hit Power
4) Defensive Tackle Daniel McCullers: Massive NT who trimmed down to 351lbs. He demands a double block and is effective defending the run. His size can free the other talented Eagles pass rushers, so they can have a breakout year. He is in good shape despite his massive size
5) Defensive End Taylor Hart- Great size and can play either OLB or DE in Chip Kelly's Defense. Good playmaker and he can help the Eagles pass rush and edge tackling. He has long arms to knock down some passes at the line of scrimmage and to take away some passing lanes
6) Cornerback Qua Cox: Ball hawking cover corner from a small school. He has 5 INTs and 6 passes defended. He plays with a lot of energy and swag. He could be the diamond in the ruff in this draft
7) Tight End Colt Lyeria: Super talented Tight End whose draft is blackballed by cocaine charges, but I think Chip Kelly could give him a second chance. He would be the third TE in the rotation and can provide some big plays at TE when he is in the game. However, he will need to compete for a spot on the Eagles 53 man roster
I like the Eagles Secondary with Jarius Byrd and Patrick Chung starting at Safety with Nate Allen, Craig Loston® and Taylor Mays rotating in and Charles Tillman starting at Cornerback because he is very good at forcing turnovers. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu® can play behind Cary Williams until he is good enough to start and Ifo is also a turnover machine. I like Brandon Boykin a lot in the nickel corner role and if Qua Cox® turns out to be a good player in the NFL, then he could split time with Boykin. This will also help the Eagles give offenses different looks game in and game out and that would also help the 30th ranked pass defense. Players like Joe Mays, Shane Skov® and Taylor Hart® add better tackling on Defense and could help the Eagles overall yards allowed mark. Taylor Hart and Daniel McCullers® help an already good Eagles pass rush and McCullers gives the Eagles a true Nose Tackle to rotate in with Bennie Logan. Bear Pascoe is a big blocker who can help the Eagles O-line set the edge in running plays. De'Anthony Thomas can score touchdowns on special teams and in Chip Kelly's offense and with Maclin, Jackson, Thomas and McCoy on the field at the same time, the Eagles can have too much speed for any defense to handle. With this Offseason prediction the Eagles will get better on Offense, Defense and Special Teams with Chip Kelly heading into his second year as head coach. The 2014 Eagles can very easily be Super Bowl contenders. GO EAGLES!!!