Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Footballman175

Future NFL Draft Pick Michael Sam Announces He Is Gay

391 posts in this topic

supposedly only 3 teams didn't know this so I doubt it has that much of an effect.

You have the right to stick your head in the sand and ignore problems. Clearly you're taking full advantage of it

Just because I respectfully don't agree with you doesn't mean my head is in the sand.

Here's the definition of the idiom head in the sand:

"to refuse to think about an unpleasant situation, hoping that it will improve so that you will not have to deal with it"

That's what don't ask don't tell is. You're suggesting the nfl be dont ask don't tell. Therefore...

2 people like this

Just because I respectfully don't agree with you doesn't mean my head is in the sand.

Your head is in the Earth's inner core.

3 people like this

Look it might not be a big deal, and in a perfect world it wouldn't be...but with the recent player remarks about it...and went down with the Vikings it also could be a major distraction which hurts a team.

Look it might not be a big deal, and in a perfect world it wouldn't be...but with the recent player remarks about it...and went down with the Vikings it also could be a major distraction which hurts a team.

I'll repeat myself: You must really think the brooklyn dodgers made a mistake hiring Jackie Robinson. What a distraction! How selfish of the GM to make the other players have to deal with that just because he wanted a good player

2 people like this

I'm not saying it's right, but my head isn't in the sand like your attempted insult suggested.

""I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

I'm not saying it's right, but my head isn't in the sand like your attempted insult suggested.

""I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

You're not alone in being wrong.

You know why "football isn't ready for an openly gay player" yet? Because no one has come out. Regardless of when it happened, it was going to be a big deal. Better deal with it now than keep pushing it off telling yourself that "someday it'll be perfect"

I refer you to the second half of the head in the sand definition again: "hoping that it will improve so that you will not have to deal with it"

Also the mizzou locker room sure was chemically imbalanced when they went 12-2 this year and won the cotton bowl

2 people like this

You realize that's a link to a SI story, right?

So that makes it right? I've read the article. An "NFL player personnel assistant" said the nfl isn't ready. Just like I'm sure many MLB personnel assistants said the MLB wasn't ready for a black player.

You're also aware that the article you linked is getting killed by most of the media correct?

You realize that's a link to a SI story, right?

You realize that doesn't mean anything?

1 person likes this

You two aren't open to the opinions of anyone who think it could go badly for the NFL right now. Got it. I respect your opinions and won't belittle them even if we don't agree. That's the difference.

Congrats to this young man. It takes courage to stand up and be yourself in front of the world. We spend a lot of time as human beings hiding who we are and putting up a facade so people accept us.

Whether you agree or disagree with this mans lifestyle and choices we should all be tolerant and accepting of him as a person. I believe that people, teams, organizations become better and stronger when they embrace differences. Having different points of view and experiences allow for organizations to think beyond traditional parameters. A great example of this is the Seahawks this year. They let their players be who they are without judgement and fostered an atmosphere of mutual respect. Doing so allowed the team to play as one and win it all.

2 people like this

You two aren't open to the opinions of anyone who think it could go badly for the NFL right now. Got it. I respect your opinions and won't belittle them even if we don't agree. That's the difference.

You aren't saying you think it could go badly. You are saying that he should keep quiet. Two completely different arguments.

3 people like this

Ohhhhh the irony...

1 person likes this

Ohhhhh the irony...

I was thinking the same thing about you two. Have a good night.

Who cares if he's gay? If he can be a solid addition to our D & we can get him, then I'm on board.

I was thinking the same thing about you two. Have a good night.

So gay players should never been seen out with their significant other, or talk about them, or even let others know about them because it could theoretically be a "distraction."

Got it

1 person likes this

You don't get harassed, mistreated, denied rights, etc. for being straight.

How does that answer what I asked? Oh wait, it doesn't.

Like I said on the other page....I think this is selfish. If you ate gay, just be gay. You don't have to tell the world. Who ever drafts him, they will have to answer question every interview about him, offseason, during the season. Even other media outlets will be talking about it. It will be like Tebow and johnathan martin rolled into one

So you think that gay athletes should keep on hiding who they are just to prevent a distraction? Well, somebody has to break the ice, and I'm glad it finally happened. It will make it easier for the next guys who have the balls to come forward.

I'm sure that african american players were also a distraction when they started playing many years ago. One person broke through and that opened the door for african americans and it's good thing they did.

2 people like this

Why "announce" it? Do players "announce" that they're straight?

"Look at me! Look at me! I'm different! Now don't treat me any differently!"

Life styles that are more excepted, such as being straight, do not need to be announced because they are...excepted. Life styles that are not as excepted such as being gay should be announced and put out there so that they can hopefully become more excepted.

How does that answer what I asked? Oh wait, it doesn't.

I find the reason for something is much more valuable than the answer itself.

The answer is that being straight is socially acceptable, being gay is not. It's common sense really. The fact that you need to be told why gays have to announce themselves when straight people don't is more concerning.

3 people like this

I'm happy for him but I don't see why you have to announce your gay to the world.

Because you can't just go about being gay and not tell someone. Merely mentioning a boyfriend or anything like that would get you shocked and angry looks... it's the "don't shove it in my face" argument: general society perceives the smallest thing a gay person says as "shoving it in their face", way moreso than for a straight person.

It's basically his only option other than staying the closet. Every straight player can mention his wife/girlfriend and no one will blink. If a gay football player mentions his boyfriend then it will be headlined everywhere anyway. This is the only way to do it for the moment being. Once there is more acceptance and tolerance then it will eventually become something that doesn't have to be announced.

Bingo. Very well said, NP.

1 person likes this

Actually, no it's not a small price to pay in a team sport where unity and cohesion is paramount. He has the freedom to speek, but teams have the right to pass on a distraction like him because we don't live in a perfect world. Even players who support him are going to get tired of the questions.

I'm betting a team like Seattle and Pete Carrol would be open minded and would love to have him on their team if he could contribute. They seem to be very excepting to different personalities and diversity. That's a pretty good team too.