Kolbfan4

An a** for a Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,366 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

You realize that's a link to a SI story, right?

You realize that doesn't mean anything?
  • cmart102 likes this

#62 diehardfan

diehardfan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

You two aren't open to the opinions of anyone who think it could go badly for the NFL right now. Got it. I respect your opinions and won't belittle them even if we don't agree. That's the difference.

#63 OhsoClose

OhsoClose

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

Congrats to this young man. It takes courage to stand up and be yourself in front of the world. We spend a lot of time as human beings hiding who we are and putting up a facade so people accept us.

Whether you agree or disagree with this mans lifestyle and choices we should all be tolerant and accepting of him as a person. I believe that people, teams, organizations become better and stronger when they embrace differences. Having different points of view and experiences allow for organizations to think beyond traditional parameters. A great example of this is the Seahawks this year. They let their players be who they are without judgement and fostered an atmosphere of mutual respect. Doing so allowed the team to play as one and win it all.
  • NocturnalPoisoning and McNabb2Jackson7 like this

#64 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

An a** for a Lion

• Members
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

You two aren't open to the opinions of anyone who think it could go badly for the NFL right now. Got it. I respect your opinions and won't belittle them even if we don't agree. That's the difference.

You aren't saying you think it could go badly. You are saying that he should keep quiet. Two completely different arguments.
  • NocturnalPoisoning, McNabb2Jackson7 and cmart102 like this

#65 cmart102

cmart102

Tateageddon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,959 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Ohhhhh the irony...
  • McNabb2Jackson7 likes this

#66 diehardfan

diehardfan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Ohhhhh the irony...

I was thinking the same thing about you two. Have a good night.

#67 PolkaDotPants

PolkaDotPants

High. How are you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Who cares if he's gay? If he can be a solid addition to our D & we can get him, then I'm on board.

#68 cmart102

cmart102

Tateageddon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,959 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing about you two. Have a good night.

So gay players should never been seen out with their significant other, or talk about them, or even let others know about them because it could theoretically be a "distraction."

Got it

#69 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,340 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

You don't get harassed, mistreated, denied rights, etc. for being straight.

How does that answer what I asked? Oh wait, it doesn't.

#70 FlyinBrian36-20

FlyinBrian36-20

All Hail the King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • Fan Since:'99

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

And ?

#71 rodneypeete9

rodneypeete9

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Like I said on the other page....I think this is selfish. If you ate gay, just be gay. You don't have to tell the world. Who ever drafts him, they will have to answer question every interview about him, offseason, during the season. Even other media outlets will be talking about it. It will be like Tebow and johnathan martin rolled into one

So you think that gay athletes should keep on hiding who they are just to prevent a distraction? Well, somebody has to break the ice, and I'm glad it finally happened. It will make it easier for the next guys who have the balls to come forward.

I'm sure that african american players were also a distraction when they started playing many years ago. One person broke through and that opened the door for african americans and it's good thing they did.
  • OhsoClose and McNabb2Jackson7 like this

#72 rodneypeete9

rodneypeete9

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Why "announce" it? Do players "announce" that they're straight?

"Look at me! Look at me! I'm different! Now don't treat me any differently!"

Life styles that are more excepted, such as being straight, do not need to be announced because they are...excepted. Life styles that are not as excepted such as being gay should be announced and put out there so that they can hopefully become more excepted.

#73 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

An a** for a Lion

• Members
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

How does that answer what I asked? Oh wait, it doesn't.

I find the reason for something is much more valuable than the answer itself.

The answer is that being straight is socially acceptable, being gay is not. It's common sense really. The fact that you need to be told why gays have to announce themselves when straight people don't is more concerning.
  • we_gotta_believe, OhsoClose and McNabb2Jackson7 like this

#74 Marinomanx013

Marinomanx013

Armchair Draft Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts
  • Fan Since:coherence

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

I'm happy for him but I don't see why you have to announce your gay to the world.

Because you can't just go about being gay and not tell someone. Merely mentioning a boyfriend or anything like that would get you shocked and angry looks... it's the "don't shove it in my face" argument: general society perceives the smallest thing a gay person says as "shoving it in their face", way moreso than for a straight person.

It's basically his only option other than staying the closet. Every straight player can mention his wife/girlfriend and no one will blink. If a gay football player mentions his boyfriend then it will be headlined everywhere anyway. This is the only way to do it for the moment being. Once there is more acceptance and tolerance then it will eventually become something that doesn't have to be announced.

Bingo. Very well said, NP.

#75 rodneypeete9

rodneypeete9

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Actually, no it's not a small price to pay in a team sport where unity and cohesion is paramount. He has the freedom to speek, but teams have the right to pass on a distraction like him because we don't live in a perfect world. Even players who support him are going to get tired of the questions.

I'm betting a team like Seattle and Pete Carrol would be open minded and would love to have him on their team if he could contribute. They seem to be very excepting to different personalities and diversity. That's a pretty good team too.

#76 Marinomanx013

Marinomanx013

Armchair Draft Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

I'm betting a team like Seattle and Pete Carrol would be open minded and would love to have him on their team if he could contribute. They seem to be very excepting to different personalities and diversity. That's a pretty good team too.

Seattle would actually be a great team for him to get drafted by, you're right. They seem to be a dynamic bunch, those Seahawks.

#77 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

I find the reason for something is much more valuable than the answer itself.

The answer is that being straight is socially acceptable, being gay is not.

So you find being gay to be socially unacceptable? Interesting. Again though, the question that I asked wasn't answered.

There was no reason to "announce" anything. If he's gay, be gay. If he's straight, be straight. Don't make some big deal and announce it.

In a totally unrelated way, it reminds me of Donovan McNabb during Super Bowl week in 2005 talking about how he doesn't want to be identified as a "black QB", then in another interview he talks about how important it would be to him, as a "black QB" to win the Super Bowl and be only the second "black QB" to win it all.

#78 Marinomanx013

Marinomanx013

Armchair Draft Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

There was no reason to "announce" anything. If he's gay, be gay. If he's straight, be straight. Don't make some big deal and announce it.

But to NOT "announce" it, he'd have to explicitly avoid saying or doing anything that could be perceived as gay for his entire career. That's what the issue is! :P
  • we_gotta_believe, OhsoClose and McNabb2Jackson7 like this

#79 OhsoClose

OhsoClose

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Why shouldn't he announce it? Why can't he be open about who he is? Straight people announce they are straight to the world all the time and no one bats an eye. If someone says they are gay it is usually a big deal.

#80 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

But to NOT "announce" it, he'd have to explicitly avoid saying or doing anything that could be perceived as gay for his entire career. That's what the issue is! :P

How many players "go public" and say "I'm straight"? Of those that don't, how many hide the fact that they're straight for their "entire career"?

Like I said, if he's gay, then be gay. If he has a boyfriend or husband then go about your business. Be seen in public like a man and wife would. There's no "announcement" about his sexual orientation that is needed.

Life styles that are more excepted, such as being straight, do not need to be announced because they are...excepted. Life styles that are not as excepted such as being gay should be announced and put out there so that they can hopefully become more excepted.

So, is being gay a life style choice? I thought that it was viewed as 'offensive' to say it was a 'life style choice'. Or is it offensive to say that they are born gay? I can't keep up with the PC police on things.

#81 Marinomanx013

Marinomanx013

Armchair Draft Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

How many players "go public" and say "I'm straight"? Of those that don't, how many hide the fact that they're straight for their "entire career"?

Like I said, if he's gay, then be gay. If he has a boyfriend or husband then go about your business. Be seen in public like a man and wife would. There's no "announcement" about his sexual orientation that is needed.

I totally get what you're saying, man, but a gay man cannot go out with his boyfriend as a woman and man could and be seen as normal. The media would eat that up, people would be miffed by it. Trust me... if it were that easy, gay people would never feel the need to "come out" in the first place.

#82 OhsoClose

OhsoClose

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

That is where you are wrong. The LGBT community has felt and has been discriminated throughout history. By announcing they are "gay" in certain circumstance helps break down stereotypes that have been applied to that community (e.g. gays are weak and don't/can't play manly sports) and doing so opens up doors and understanding.

Kerry Rhodes try to go about his business and once people suspected he was gay his career was over.

#83 Marinomanx013

Marinomanx013

Armchair Draft Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

And trust me, I hate our country's PC obsession as much as the next person.

#84 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

I totally get what you're saying, man, but if a gay man cannot go out with his boyfriend as a woman and man could and be seen as normal. The media would eat that up, people would be miffed by it. Trust me... if it were that easy, gay people would never feel the need to "come out" in the dirt place.

We are now a nation that (in many states) allows gay marriage. Who says that he can't go out with his boyfriend?

Are there people that see homosexuality as immoral or against their beliefs? Of course there are. That's never going to change. But I still fail to see a reason to "announce" his gayness.

If 'society' is so against it then he's just thrown up all kinds of walls into his path. It all just seems like a grab for attention, trying to "give voice" to a "movement". Or maybe trying to set up an excuse for not being rated/drafted as highly as he might have desired (if that does happen).

#85 OhsoClose

OhsoClose

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

We are now a nation that (in many states) allows gay marriage. Who says that he can't go out with his boyfriend?

Are there people that see homosexuality as immoral or against their beliefs? Of course there are. That's never going to change. But I still fail to see a reason to "announce" his gayness.

If 'society' is so against it then he's just thrown up all kinds of walls into his path. It all just seems like a grab for attention, trying to "give voice" to a "movement". Or maybe trying to set up an excuse for not being rated/drafted as highly as he might have desired (if that does happen).

So because some people will never accepted he should not feel free to be open with who he is?

He did not put up any walls in his path. He kicking open doors for people to be who they are in an industry where that is far from the norm. That is worthy of an announcement and discussion. There is nothing wrong with giving a voice to a movement. To even suggest that he is trying to purposely tank his draft position is ridiculous.

#86 Kolbfan4

Kolbfan4

An a** for a Lion

• Members
  • 15,366 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

So, is being gay a life style choice? I thought that it was viewed as 'offensive' to say it was a 'life style choice'. Or is it offensive to say that they are born gay? I can't keep up with the PC police on things.

Kerry Rhodes went about his business and he was outed, and essentially kicked out of the NFL.

Announcing it is simple. It's a barrier that is currently in sports. Gay men are "feminine", they can't play a manly game, etc.

But truthfully, imo, announcing it is a sense of pride. Gays have been treated like **** by religious people, homophobes, conservatives, etc. Even in law today gays are still treated like ****, they aren't even allowed to donate blood because people are scared of AIDS. Coming out is a moment where they can own for themselves and despite all the treatment they receive, be happy to be who they are.

#87 cowboysblow56

cowboysblow56

happy tanksgiving

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

Hopefully he doesn't get blacklisted, like Kerry Rhodes.

#88 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 55,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

... religious people, homophobes, conservatives, etc...

I always have to laugh at "enlightened" people when they stereotype... :lol:

Stop watching MSNBC.
  • drewg22 likes this

#89 NocturnalPoisoning

NocturnalPoisoning

Nick Foles=Super Bowls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

I honestly don't believe that you believe the stuff that you're saying. You've seen the media in action enough to KNOW that the media would be all over him the second they saw him with his partner. By announcing he's taking agency over the situation and furthermore, not delaying the inevitable.

If anyone honestly thinks an openly gay NFL player can just go about his business without drawing media attention then they are in complete and utter denial.

Considering the nature of the media, the announcement is the ONLY option other than staying in the closet.
  • we_gotta_believe and cmart102 like this

#90 OhsoClose

OhsoClose

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

I always have to laugh at "enlightened" people when they stereotype... :lol:

Stop watching MSNBC.

Those groups and people who think like that are real. There is nothing fictional about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users