KOJO

***OFFICIAL SF 49ers/Chip Kelly 1-and-done thread***

1,369 posts in this topic

Colin Kaepernick more like Colon Krapperdick!

Former Eagles front office executive: Chip Kelly alienated scouts 'almost immediately'

Eagles Vice President of Football operations Howie Roseman took responsibility for the selection of Marcus Smith in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, but the circumstances around the most disappointing first-round selection in recent memory sparked a feud that eventually culminated with Chip Kelly's firing. 

Roseman and the Eagles' scouting department had minimal input over the three drafts during Chip Kelly's tenure as head coach, according to a former member of the front office who spoke to NJ Advance Media on the condition of anonymity. That person asked not to be identified because he is not authorized to comment on the franchise's personnel decisions. 

"Right before that draft, the scouts set the board," the person said Tuesday. "Then Chip got a hold of it and totally turned it around. Scouts had no say at all in that draft. Anybody that Chip didn't want, that player's card got removed from the board and thrown in the trash. Those guys were never even in the discussion.

"Almost immediately, you had a lot of scouts looking around and wondering, 'Why am I even working? Why the hell are we even here?' We put all of this work in, put the information in and Chip changed everything and took whoever he wanted to take."

Whether it was Roseman who took public responsibility for Smith or Kelly who ultimately pulled the trigger on the Louisville linebacker, it is fair to say that the decision was far from unanimous in the war room that night. 

"Personally, I had Smith with a third-round grade," the source said. "That was one of the shockers of the first round -- that he went as high as he did."

Smith, so far a bust, was chosen by the Eagles with the 26th overall pick and has played sparingly through his first two NFL seasons. In 22 games, Smith has 1.5 sacks and seven tackles.

The source said Kelly's unorthodox approach to draft night immediately alienated several members of the front office and scouting department.

Kelly's first draft, in 2013, netted offensive tackle Lane Johnson, tight end Zach Ertz and defensive tackle Bennie Logan in the first three rounds. 

Even though those players have been productive -- Johnson and Ertz were signed to long-term extensions earlier this offseason -- Kelly's handling of the draft board led to the deterioration of the front office. A semifunctional collaboration, with Kelly and VP of player personnel Tom Gamble essentially running the show, to an organization rife with discontent. 

"The Eagles brought in some of Tom's guys to make some changes in the scouting department, and Howie's guys were kind of pushed aside a little bit," the person said. "Howie really wasn't listened to. Chip would listen to Gamble, but he wouldn't listen to Howie. It just wasn't a good relationship.

"Everything hit the fan after that (2014) season. Chip left town almost immediately. Howie fired [Gamble] and then Chip gets hold of it, comes right back to the building and put his foot down [to owner Jeffrey Lurie].

"I knew right there it was the beginning of the end for Chip. He did everything he wanted. He had to win and win big to hold onto his job after that season. Meanwhile, Howie was away from personnel decisions, preparing to be back in charge, if that chance ever came."

Last week at the NFL Meeting in Boca Raton, Fla., Kelly reiterated that it was Lurie's decision, not an ultimatum from Kelly that led to Roseman's demotion. 

When the 2015 season went off the rails, Lurie fired Kelly on Dec. 29, before the season finale against the Giants, eventually handing the personnel decisions back to Roseman.

Kelly was hired as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, but the former front office member says skepticism remains after Kelly's failures with the Eagles.

"Chip had a rude awakening, thinking that his system was going to win more than players win," the source said. "Systems are good. Coaches can get guys to play up to their optimal levels, but you still have to have good players to win."

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/03/former_eagles_front_office_executive_chip_kelly_al.html

We will likely never know the full story... I don't trust kelly to ever tell the truth and I don't expect our FO to really take the mud-slinging any further....

I just think it's funny how the few remaining kelly supporters claim that Roseman controlled everything when it came to the bad free agents and draft picks, but give kelly all of the credit for the few that did turn out okay...

I know I said I wouldn't mention the DJax thing anymore, but this just reinforces my belief that Kelly cut him as opposed to try trading him. Either that or he was asking WAY too much the way he is for Kaepernick right now... He's too greedy and he's shown his hand... My guess- He'll either drop his asking price way down or cut him outright.

We will likely never know the full story... I don't trust kelly to ever tell the truth and I don't expect our FO to really take the mud-slinging any further....

I just think it's funny how the few remaining kelly supporters claim that Roseman controlled everything when it came to the bad free agents and draft picks, but give kelly all of the credit for the few that did turn out okay...

I know I said I wouldn't mention the DJax thing anymore, but this just reinforces my belief that Kelly cut him as opposed to try trading him. Either that or he was asking WAY too much the way he is for Kaepernick right now... He's too greedy and he's shown his hand... My guess- He'll either drop his asking price way down or cut him outright.

Nobody said that, Mr. Whino.

Nobody said that, Mr. Whino.

They absolutely have said that on here multiple times... Now go back to writing your BronxEagle & Chip Kelly fan fiction romance novel...

battle11.jpg

They absolutely have said that on here multiple times... Now go back to writing your BronxEagle & Chip Kelly fan fiction romance novel...

No they didn't.

I sure didn't.

Your hate has made you full of crap, Mr. Whino.

your such a ****

:roll:

Your mother didn't think so.

"Retired" RT Anthony Davis tweeted that he'll file for reinstatement "later this year."

"I'll be filing for reinstatement to the NFL later this year," Davis tweeted Friday. "Dealing with [GM] Trent [baalke} is giving me a headache." Baalke has been in contact with Davis this offseason and has said the team will welcome him back for the final five years of his contract. It'll be a big boost to the offense after Erik Pears was forced to take over right tackle for the 49ers last year. Davis is still just 26 and should return to being one of the game's top right tackles.

Good luck buddy.

1 person likes this

Good luck buddy.

Baalke said they'll gladly take him back.

:lol:

1 person likes this

Chip Kelly: 49ers’ offense has the talent I need

But Kelly says he doesn’t need to tinker with the roster in San Francisco. Kelly says the kind of talent he needs is already in place. Kelly said the running backs, receivers, tight ends and offensive linemen are all the kinds of players he wants as building blocks of his team.

And although the 49ers’ offensive line struggled at times, Kelly thinks it will be in good shape.

“Obviously, the O-line, led by Joe Staley, there’s a lot of talent there, too,” Kelly said. “I think it’s a good group. . . . Joe Staley is one of the most fit, athletic big people you ever want,” Kelly said. “I met Joe about a week ago. He came in. He fits perfect. It fits to his skill set set. I’ve always been a big fan of big people. Somebody once told me, ‘Big people beat up little people.’ I think we fit philosophically.”

So Kelly has the players he wants everywhere — except maybe at quarterback, where it remains unclear whether Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert or someone else will start Week One.

2 people like this

I don't know how he can say he has all the talent he needs when that team sucked a**.

Coach speak.

Every new coach and player to a team talks about how great the team is.  Even the worst team in the league, their 1st round pick will say what a great organization, great coach, looking forward to working with so and so.   :lol:

1 person likes this

Every new coach and player to a team talks about how great the team is. Even the worst team in the league, their 1st round pick will say what a great organization, great coach, looking forward to working with so and so. :lol:

no one has had a chance to give Kelly crap yet. Thenthe head scratching moves will start

no one has had a chance to give Kelly crap yet. Thenthe head scratching moves will start

Your hate is astonishing.

Chip sat down for an entire hour with beat reporters at the combine today. Said he talked to Kaepernick & he wants to be there.

He also said he is going to "coach the heck out of" Colin Kaepernick

:roll:

1 person likes this

He'll coach the heck out of Kaepernick for the next 1,000 years!

He'll coach the heck out of Kaepernick for the next 1,000 years!

Probably not.

Looks like Kaepernick is going to the Broncos.

Probably not.

Looks like Kaepernick is going to the Broncos.

Hence my joke. ;)

Hence my joke. ;)

Now it looks like Kaepernick is not going to The Broncos.

The media don't know squat.

Now it looks like Kaepernick is not going to The Broncos.

The media don't know squat.

The only thing holding up Kaepernick to the Broncos is, they want the 49ers to cover $4.9 million of his money this year. I believe he'll land with the Broncos, if not soon, then it'll be during the draft, which is 24 days away.

1 person likes this

The only thing holding up Kaepernick to the Broncos is, they want the 49ers to cover $4.9 million of his money this year. I believe he'll land with the Broncos, if not soon, then it'll be during the draft, which is 24 days away.

I would think The 49ers have The Broncos by the balls since Mark Sanchez is the starter in Denver so far.

If I'm The Niners, I wouldn't pay jack.

I personally would rather have Kaepernick.

Chip probably has Baalke working on a trade with the Titans.  Titans send Mariota to the 49ers for their 1st, 2nd and next year's 2nd.  Titans draft Wentz #1 overall. 

/TATE

I would think The 49ers have The Broncos by the balls since Mark Sanchez is the starter in Denver so far.

If I'm The Niners, I wouldn't pay jack.

I personally would rather have Kaepernick.

I think the 49ers draft Goff at 7.