Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SBorBust

How Many Owners in the League...

14 posts in this topic

Dave,

What percentage of league owners would have set fire to the tens of millions of dollars it took to even allow Howie to turn the team around?

I think this is an overlooked aspect of the offseason success.

Murray, Maxwell and Bradford were all written sizable checks, then moved for draft picks. I don't see Woody Johnson or Dean Spanos allowing such things to happen.

But in clearing them off the books we have saved a lot of cap room. What is the alternative? Keep them on around with next to no production? Sure yes Lurie has backed Howie to make good moves and I'm not knocking him but I don't think he's really allowed us to throw money down the drain. 

The Bears just cut their best kicking option in order to pocket $2.5 million.

I think we take for granted how good we have it.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:11 PM, SBorBust said:

What a difference a few months makes. 

1 person likes this

Howie had a great offseason and draft. This is year one of the rebuild. Patience is required as Howie improves the team in the right direction after Kelly stripped it of talent.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

What a difference a few months makes. 

Not at all.  The reality is the same.  It's only the fans' pathetic perception that has changed.

This is YEAR ONE of the rebuild.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Howie had a great offseason and draft.

Way too soon to say that.

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, KOJO said:

Way too soon to say that.

True but it's promising. Wentz looks like a franchise QB, both offensive lineman  we drafted in the middle grounds look like they can start. Jalen Mills  has certainly had his problems with some of the top-tier wide receivers but has mostly looked like a starting corner or at the very least a starting nickel corner.  Wendell Smallwood  should have been getting more touches. Considering after our first round pick for the quarterback that most of our pics were all mid to late round selections I don't know how it doesn't look promising

5 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Not at all.  The reality is the same.  It's only the fans' pathetic perception that has changed.

This is YEAR ONE of the rebuild.

Perhaps so, but I still wouldn't classify our situation as "taking for granted how good we have it".

Sorry.... I am not going there. Lurie may be willing to eat $$ to help put Howie in a position to succeed. But in general he has no idea how to build a football side or Org from the ground up.

Reid covered some sins here but he is/was just not capable of putting a team over the top, which created a situation at the end where he got desperate and started doing some really wacky stuff with the roster, which compounded his issues as a game day decision maker.

Bottom line is this.... Lurie needs someone at the top level to build a culture, staff and system that can churn out a consistent top tier football team. He has not come close to succeeding in this since the mid 2000's.

Lurie is the issue

2 people like this

On 12/20/2016 at 2:15 PM, jsdarkstar said:

Howie had a great offseason and draft. This is year one of the rebuild. Patience is required as Howie improves the team in the right direction after Kelly stripped it of talent.

How many years has Howie been the GM and how many of those years have we won a playoff game?

On September 6, 2016 at 9:11 PM, SBorBust said:

Remind me again when Dallas wins the Super Bowl.

1 person likes this

If the owner and my team spent more money then any other team the last 3 years and have nothing to show for it, I wouldn't be to thrilled. You build through the draft not free agency. The eagles have taken the place of the redskins. Off season splash, post season trash. Keep it going howie maybe by 2020 the eagles will win a playoff game.

5 people like this

On 12/22/2016 at 8:37 AM, HughE said:

If the owner and my team spent more money then any other team the last 3 years and have nothing to show for it, I wouldn't be to thrilled. You build through the draft not free agency. The eagles have taken the place of the redskins. Off season splash, post season trash. Keep it going howie maybe by 2020 the eagles will win a playoff game.

For the sake of Wentz i sure as heck hope that doesn't happen!

We MUST build ( via the draft ) around Wentz with some additional WR help, line help and a little help on the D side with a CB for starters. The LINE is the most important piece of the puzzle that needs to be dealt with first! Need a deep threat and JACKSON IS NOT IT! You hear that Howie? Need to draft a top shelf WR and if you can also get Jackson on the cheap then fine.