Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GhostOfTheVet

52 man roster?

10 posts in this topic

Hey Dave!
  Today is Thursday, September 8, 2016 and in 3 days the Eagles will open the 2016 season against the Browns. As of now the roster spot that was vacated by Rowe being traded to New England is still empty. I know there is no rush to fill the available spot but I am curious as to what you think could happen here. Do you suppose we will open the season with an active roster of 52 players and continue searching for that perfect key player to fill that spot  or could we still see someone activated from the practice squad between now and kick off? (Turner, Smith, maybe Cherry) 

Just wondering why the Eagles have only 52 players (according to the roster) on their team now? I believe they were counting on Kline to replace Rowe, but that didn't work out. And btw...why did the Eagles web site not mention Eric Rowe being traded to the Patriots? Nothing. Not one word. Had to find out on Eagles Rumor Mill. Did they dislike Rowe that much? That would come across as a bit childish to me, so I don't think that's the case. Maybe the Eagles got so "caught up" with the Carson Wentz era that they completely forgot about the Rowe trade and the missing 53rd man. Sure would like to see Paul Turner in that 53rd spot.

The Eagles do not announce trades until they are approved by the NFL and become official.

Given that there was plenty of discussion about the trade before it became official.  

This is just a guess on my part, but seeing as we only have 2 QB's, I'm expecting a 3rd QB to be signed on Tuesday. Why Tuesday? Because if he's on the roster for week 1, his salary is guaranteed. Sign him after week 1 and it's only week to week.

Again though, just a guess. We could roll with just 2.

VaBeach_Eagle,

That makes sense. They could be trying to find a QB who fits the scheme as opposed to just putting anyone into that position.

jsdarkstar,

If I'm not mistaken, the trade has already been approved (per Pat's and the rest of the media plus Rowe is off Eagles roster list) but still no word on Eagles' website about it. I just found it strange, that's all.

5 hours ago, dj julian said:

VaBeach_Eagle,

That makes sense. They could be trying to find a QB who fits the scheme as opposed to just putting anyone into that position.

If my theory is correct, I hope they already have him picked out and under agreement (verbal) that he'll be signed after week 1.

Perhaps GHOSTOFTHEVET should have also asked Dave if every team "must have a roster of 53" by game day. I don't know the answer but sure Dave does.

Or they good be looking to resign Goode after the first game which would mean his salary is not guaranteed. We do need linebackers.

16 minutes ago, slick1234 said:

Or they good be looking to resign Goode after the first game which would mean his salary is not guaranteed. We do need linebackers.

Whoever it is, I think the non-guaranteed salary is why it hasn't happened thus far.