Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erie

Protests and Change

9 posts in this topic

Dave, I don't want this post to get embroiled into another debate over the protests during the National Anthem. Instead, I'm wondering if the Front Office would be open to using its platform to facilitate a healthy conversation between Philadelphia's police force and with those concerned about police brutality in the Philly area. This fan would respect a move by the org. 

How about the Front Office uses its platform to build a championship football team and provide entertainment for its paying customers, and leave the 'conversation' about alleged police brutality to people who actually know what the hell they are talking about?           This fan would respect that a hell of a lot more.

9 people like this

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

How about the Front Office uses its platform to build a championship football team and provide entertainment for its paying customers, and leave the 'conversation' about alleged police brutality to people who actually know what the hell they are talking about?           This fan would respect that a hell of a lot more.

Can end this thread now.

2 people like this

Not sure it's either/or. And I'm not suggesting that the FO take a side. Just that they open a dialogue. That said, the emotion in this thread already is probably a good part of the reason it couldn't be considered. 

1 person likes this

There can't be a dialogue. Are blacks oppressed more by law enforcement than other groups? No. We have data that already supports this. Actual, verifiable facts. So no, a professional sports team doesn't need to take the initiative to "open a dialogue" about an issue that doesn't exist just because the media chases race wars the way a cat chases a pen light. There's a football game tonight, one I'm really excited about. 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Highboy said:

There can't be a dialogue. Are blacks oppressed more by law enforcement than other groups? No. We have data that already supports this. Actual, verifiable facts. So no, a professional sports team doesn't need to take the initiative to "open a dialogue" about an issue that doesn't exist just because the media chases race wars the way a cat chases a pen light. There's a football game tonight, one I'm really excited about. 

Oh, okay. My bad. What was I thinking? 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Highboy said:

There can't be a dialogue. Are blacks oppressed more by law enforcement than other groups? No. We have data that already supports this. Actual, verifiable facts. So no, a professional sports team doesn't need to take the initiative to "open a dialogue" about an issue that doesn't exist just because the media chases race wars the way a cat chases a pen light. 

Edited to make it perfect.

15 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Edited to make it perfect.

I don't know how you can't appreciate some of of the football this team has played the first two weeks this season. Pederson's playcalling, Wentz's command of of the offense. Not going to overreact but definitely fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, Highboy said:

I don't know how you can't appreciate some of of the football this team has played the first two weeks this season. Pederson's playcalling, Wentz's command of of the offense. Not going to overreact but definitely fun to watch. 

Wentz is clearly the real deal - his poise is very impressive, he looks like a veteran in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage, and he can make all the throws.       The potential is there for him to be a big time QB.           So far, so good with Pederson's playcalling and game management, but those were two dreadful teams they beat.        But good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams, and the Eagles did that.

I'm just not excited about it anymore, HB.         The NFL isn't 'must watch' the way it always used to be, and the quality of play is so absolutely putrid it's scary.        Every game is a matter of what team will look worse - Dallas / Washington was a classic example.         The Pats are about the only team left where you can count on good, sound team football from week to week.

The Eagles seem to be as good as anyone else in a very bad league.       I don't see the team they flat out can't beat in the NFC, and that speaks volumes because I look at this Eagles team on paper and I see 8-8.           The trick will be getting beyond being pretty good, which will be out of Roseman and Pederson's comfort zone.        They both have known nothing but this level throughout their careers, and taking that next step can be like your first dive into the deep end of the pool.