ntynes

Opening day impressions from a first timer

9 posts in this topic

Hey folks, I'm a life long Eagles fan who finally made the trip to see them play in Philly.  I wanted to post my impressions both as a way to say thanks to the city and everyone in it for being so awesome and also to provide some insight for other first timers.  I'm usually pretty difficult to impress but this is something I have wanted to do since I was kid so excuse me if all I do is blab about how awesome everything was.  I was there with 3 of my close buddies so there wasn't any family stuff and not much touristy stuff either.

We stayed at the Hyatt on Broad Street which was amazing.  Great location and the staff was awesome.

Went and got some cheesesteaks at Pats's, thought they were great and the guy working there was hilarious busting my buddy's balls for not ordering right.

Based on a recommendation from the guy at our hotel we went to Butcher and Singer for a nice steak dinner.  One of the best steaks I've ever had.

Love the fact that the subway was free on game day. Didn't realize that it was cool to drink on the subway.  Next time I'll be more prepared

We ended up getting tickets to the tailgate party at McFadden's because one of my buddies didn't just want to walk around and tailgate.  It was good and got us started off on the right foot as we took full advantage of the all you can drink offer. haha  It was a good time but I don't think I would do it again because I would prefer to walk around the lot and mingle.

We left McFaddens around 11 and started walking around.  Stopped and talked to a few people, lucky for me one of my buddies is the most outgoing person in the universe when drunk so he started up all the conversations.  If you were at the game or in Center City after the game there's a good chance you either talked to him or gave him a high five.

Definitely didn't leave enough time to walk around, only did like two rows of the parking lot.  We ended up hanging out with a group of older guys who were awesome.  It was some old school Snoop and Dre that caught our attention so we went over and my buddy of course went and introduced ourselves.    They had an amazing set up with a camper trailer, big screen, sound system, multiple BBQ's, the works.  I was more than impressed.  Next thing you know they were feeding us and giving us drinks.  They invited us back to their spot after the game and we hung out and "watched" the late game.  I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember any of their names (I'm terrible at names and there was more than a little booze involved) but they said they were in that row every home game so I'm sure some of you locals know who they are.  I thanked them for helping to make an amazing day even better and they told me I was welcome back if I ever made it down again. Here's a pic of us with them.  If you are at a game and see them, tell them the four drunk guys from Nova Scotia, Canada said hello and thanks again.

IMG_4824.JPG

Got into the stadium later than I had hoped but the lines weren't too bad considering the number of people going through.

We sat in section 138, row 5.  Seats were amazing.  It was cool to be that close to the bench and the action.  Next time I will try to get a little higher in the lower bowl for a bit of a better view of the entire field but there was NOTHING to complain about with our seats.

IMG_4739.JPG

Game was amazing (you're probably noticing a trend here).  Got to see the start of the Carson Wentz era, and I'd be lying to say it didn't get a little dusty in there for me when he took that first drive and scored.  I barely had any voice by halfway through the first quarter.

All in all, easily one of the best days of my life.  The whole trip was great, the people were awesome and it was amazing to be in my team's home town where everyone is pulling for the home team.  The sense of camaraderie was incredible.  I may have drunk texted my wife and told her "I want to ****ing live here!!!" haha. 

If I had to do it again, I would skip the paid tailgate party and just walk around.  If I was going to go the paid tailgate route I would probably do the Green Legion one just for the Xfinity access.  I would get there by 8 am for 1 pm game.  Other than that I had such an amazing time I would be happy doing everything else the same.  My main advice is that if you are a Philly fan from away and you are on the fence about going to a game, GO!!!  The one regret I have is not doing this sooner.  I should have been doing this since I was in my early 20's.  

1 person likes this

Great post. Glad you had a good time. Always happy to see fellow Canadians make the trip to philly. The experience is unlike any other!

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed your trip.  Nice to see another Maritimer enjoying Philly.  Fly Eagles FLy

Amazing post man. I'm making the pilgrimage to philly tomorrow for the weekend. Looking forward to everything you just mentioned. 

Glad to share guys.  Can't wait to do it again someday.

On 20/10/2016 at 8:55 PM, Mspencer said:

Amazing post man. I'm making the pilgrimage to philly tomorrow for the weekend. Looking forward to everything you just mentioned. 

So Mspencer, how was it?  Not exactly an offensive shootout but it must have been great watching the D go to work like back in the old days under JJ.  And I can't even imagine how nuts the place went for Huff's return TD.

Not really related but the only souvenir I bought during my time in Philly was a Dawkins print from Shibe that is actually made up of his quotes and stats. For Christmas my wife and daughter got it mounted and framed.  Makes me think of my trip and smile every time I walk by.  Can't wait to make the trip again.

DAWK.JPG

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, ntynes said:

Glad to share guys.  Can't wait to do it again someday.

So Mspencer, how was it?  Not exactly an offensive shootout but it must have been great watching the D go to work like back in the old days under JJ.  And I can't even imagine how nuts the place went for Huff's return TD.

Oh man! I'm just seeing this. Like the fellow who originated the post stated so eloquently, it was AMAZING! I truly believe the players could hear me screaming from section 235. I will actually post a story similar to "ntynes" on my play by play of that weekend. I'm using it as my hype up for the upcoming September trip back to philly.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, ntynes said:

Hey folks, I'm a life long Eagles fan who finally made the trip to see them play in Philly.  I wanted to post my impressions both as a way to say thanks to the city and everyone in it for being so awesome and also to provide some insight for other first timers.  I'm usually pretty difficult to impress but this is something I have wanted to do since I was kid so excuse me if all I do is blab about how awesome everything was.  I was there with 3 of my close buddies so there wasn't any family stuff and not much touristy stuff either.

We stayed at the Hyatt on Broad Street which was amazing.  Great location and the staff was awesome.

Went and got some cheesesteaks at Pats's, thought they were great and the guy working there was hilarious busting my buddy's balls for not ordering right.

Based on a recommendation from the guy at our hotel we went to Butcher and Singer for a nice steak dinner.  One of the best steaks I've ever had.

Love the fact that the subway was free on game day. Didn't realize that it was cool to drink on the subway.  Next time I'll be more prepared

We ended up getting tickets to the tailgate party at McFadden's because one of my buddies didn't just want to walk around and tailgate.  It was good and got us started off on the right foot as we took full advantage of the all you can drink offer. haha  It was a good time but I don't think I would do it again because I would prefer to walk around the lot and mingle.

We left McFaddens around 11 and started walking around.  Stopped and talked to a few people, lucky for me one of my buddies is the most outgoing person in the universe when drunk so he started up all the conversations.  If you were at the game or in Center City after the game there's a good chance you either talked to him or gave him a high five.

Definitely didn't leave enough time to walk around, only did like two rows of the parking lot.  We ended up hanging out with a group of older guys who were awesome.  It was some old school Snoop and Dre that caught our attention so we went over and my buddy of course went and introduced ourselves.    They had an amazing set up with a camper trailer, big screen, sound system, multiple BBQ's, the works.  I was more than impressed.  Next thing you know they were feeding us and giving us drinks.  They invited us back to their spot after the game and we hung out and "watched" the late game.  I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember any of their names (I'm terrible at names and there was more than a little booze involved) but they said they were in that row every home game so I'm sure some of you locals know who they are.  I thanked them for helping to make an amazing day even better and they told me I was welcome back if I ever made it down again. Here's a pic of us with them.  If you are at a game and see them, tell them the four drunk guys from Nova Scotia, Canada said hello and thanks again.

IMG_4824.JPG

Got into the stadium later than I had hoped but the lines weren't too bad considering the number of people going through.

We sat in section 138, row 5.  Seats were amazing.  It was cool to be that close to the bench and the action.  Next time I will try to get a little higher in the lower bowl for a bit of a better view of the entire field but there was NOTHING to complain about with our seats.

IMG_4739.JPG

Game was amazing (you're probably noticing a trend here).  Got to see the start of the Carson Wentz era, and I'd be lying to say it didn't get a little dusty in there for me when he took that first drive and scored.  I barely had any voice by halfway through the first quarter.

All in all, easily one of the best days of my life.  The whole trip was great, the people were awesome and it was amazing to be in my team's home town where everyone is pulling for the home team.  The sense of camaraderie was incredible.  I may have drunk texted my wife and told her "I want to ****ing live here!!!" haha. 

If I had to do it again, I would skip the paid tailgate party and just walk around.  If I was going to go the paid tailgate route I would probably do the Green Legion one just for the Xfinity access.  I would get there by 8 am for 1 pm game.  Other than that I had such an amazing time I would be happy doing everything else the same.  My main advice is that if you are a Philly fan from away and you are on the fence about going to a game, GO!!!  The one regret I have is not doing this sooner.  I should have been doing this since I was in my early 20's.  

Hey man, I'm not sure if you still check this thread out, just wanted to let you know this post really set me up for my weekend back in Oct 2016, so I really appreciate that, I'm actually going to put together something like this soon to share my experience. Second, I'm visiting Nova Scotia, Canada this summer! Clearly we seem to like the same atmosphere, so I'm looking for tips on where to hang out and what to do around town. I'll be there with navy buddies so clearly we are looking for the bars etc.. if you end up reading this let me know, it'd be great to get your Email or something before I headed out that way.