msmcdickey

Skins v. Eagles

36 posts in this topic

Both out of the play-offs, but we have hope in Wentz. How would you like to be a Skins fan and know you have Cousins as your qb of the future and will even need to sign him to a big deal?

they swept us this year and finished with a better record. Objectively speaking, their future is no less bright than ours

Redskins will be redskins . They will overpay for cousins but they dont have much choice .  Kirk is a average QB no more no less . He has shown he folds in important games  even though he has one of the best set of WRS / TEs to throw to . He is like a pro mans Eli  but he shows a bit more grit then her 

2 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

Redskins will be redskins . They will overpay for cousins but they dont have much choice .  Kirk is a average QB no more no less . He has shown he folds in important games  even though he has one of the best set of WRS / TEs to throw to . He is like a pro mans Eli  but he shows a bit more grit then her 

They DO have a choice: Not pay him and let him walk and get someone else.

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

They DO have a choice: Not pay him and let him walk and get someone else.

and replace him with who ?  Redskins like normal screwed up .  They should of locked him down cheaper at begning of last year . Now coming of Franchise tag and decent numbers they will over pay otherwise they will continue the QB carousel .  Its even worse now that prices are kinda set by Brock , Sammy  and Luck 

Got to say I think the Skins should look at who else they could bring in or draft over Cousins. I know there isn't a lot of choice out there but it is going to be a big mistake to play this guy. He is going to demand very good money and he's an average at best QB.

I've heard before that teams set up and draft and trade based on a lot of what their division rivals do. If that's true then the Skins need to look at Dallas and ourselves to see that we have two really young promising QBs that could help us dominate the division for the next decade. And Kirk Coupons isn't going to do that for Washington.

The difference between the skins and eagles is the fact that the redskins have a veteran QB, a bell cow running back, receivers that can catch, and a better offensive line.

The Eagles at least have Sturgis that can hit the broad side of a barn...

i kind of think that the redskins tag cousins again and look to find a QB in the draft to groom cause if Cousins doesnt play well next year they can just move on. usually you dont see any player get tagged twice but in this case i could see them doing so and trying to find a young QB to groom and if cousins balls out you work out a new deal at seasons end, if he is just average you probably let him walk

16 minutes ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

The difference between the skins and eagles is the fact that the redskins have a veteran QB, a bell cow running back, receivers that can catch, and a better offensive line.

The Eagles at least have Sturgis that can hit the broad side of a barn...

Garcon and Djax are Free Agents, their last Bell Cow backs up Zeke Elliott now, Oline is a wash and I will take Wentz over Cousins every day of the week.

That was a spooky performance by Cousins. true; maybe best to retag him and see one more year, just in case. If I was them, I be depressed tonight..

2 minutes ago, GoBirds2005 said:

Garcon and Djax are Free Agents, their last Bell Cow backs up Zeke Elliott now, Oline is a wash and I will take Wentz over Cousins every day of the week.

I was referring to Robert Kelley, that guy is a beast. Not to mention they have young receivers like Dotson and Crowder.

2 minutes ago, Mearns said:

That was a spooky performance by Cousins. true; maybe best to retag him and see one more year, just in case. If I was them, I be depressed today..

not sure how washington lost that game. honestly the giants had absolutely nothing really to play for and yet the redskins still lost the game. frankly they shouldnt have lost to carolina either two weeks ago.

They had 3 games like today, the Arizona game also was a killer. Their fans are on 'suicide-watch' tonight. LoL

1 minute ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

I was referring to Robert Kelley, that guy is a beast. Not to mention they have young receivers like Dotson and Crowder.

He's had a good run for a handful of games, lets see if he lasts. he had 33 yards today against a team with nothing to play for while they were fighting for a playoff spot. Crowder is good, other guy barely played. We have some serious work to do at WR.

1 minute ago, PhillyGreenMachine said:

crowder I will give you. Doctson hasnt proven anything. he had two games for 2 catches for 66 yards. that is ugholor like. then he got hurt for the year. he has proven nothing at the nfl level.

Did Cousins have any good catch phrases this week? No "you like that!"?

On 1/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, NE.Jon said:

and replace him with who ?  Redskins like normal screwed up .  They should of locked him down cheaper at begning of last year . Now coming of Franchise tag and decent numbers they will over pay otherwise they will continue the QB carousel .  Its even worse now that prices are kinda set by Brock , Sammy  and Luck 

I don't know, but there's bound to be someone they can get. They can look at who they have now, FA, or even draft a QB. Look at Trevor Siemian. He was a 7th round pick and outplayed Kirk Cousins. If I'm Redskins doing negotiations, I would say something like: "You're not getting $23M a year. We're not giving you top QB money. You're not worth that much. You're not elite like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Matt Ryan. I'll give you $16M a year, and if you don't like it, go somewhere like Cleveland or New York (Jets) that would pay you top QB money and ruin your career.

I like how Kirk said he can't give the Rwords a discount because it would be a disservice to other QBs who come up for contracts after him.

Dude knows he can't justify charging them the arm and leg he's about to after his crap play so he came up with that ridiculous BS.

3 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I don't know, but there's bound to be someone they can get. They can look at who they have now, FA, or even draft a QB. Look at Trevor Siemian. He was a 7th round pick and outplayed Kirk Cousins. If I'm Redskins doing negotiations, I would say something like: "You're not getting $23M a year. We're not giving you top QB money. You're not worth that much. You're not elite like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Matt Ryan. I'll give you $16M a year, and if you don't like it, go somewhere like Cleveland or New York (Jets) that would pay you top QB money and ruin your career.

the problem is someone will pay him , so the Skins are dammed if they do dammed if they dont .  THats why I dont get teams waiting till the end to lock up QBs  just like Brock with Denver ....   I will enjoy it either way it goes .

On 1/1/2017 at 8:02 PM, msmcdickey said:

Both out of the play-offs, but we have hope in Wentz. How would you like to be a Skins fan and know you have Cousins as your qb of the future and will even need to sign him to a big deal?

I have been very harsh of Kirk Cousins but how much of Washington's failure was his fault?  I mean the guy almost threw for 5k yards (3rd in NFL & 500 more than Aaron Rodgers), and a 97.2 QB Rating).  He had a couple of bad games towards the end including this last one throwing 2 picks but only 12 for the year so its not like he was throwing them like Philip (21 this season).

Of course PFF had ranked Washington with having the 2nd best Receiving core

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-receiving-corps-entering-week-7/

while the Eagles on most websites have the worst receiving core (especially among WRs with TE Ertz being the best receiver in a clutch moment as noticed in this last game).

The Eagles do have a really good Oline (not as good as the Cowboys & missing Lane hurts) but I dont know why the run game was as bad as it was with this west coast style it shouldve been better. 

However, the Eagles are simply learning the playbook & the head Coach is learning how to be a head coach.. Andy Reid struggled his first year (as another poster had pointed out)..

so YES I agree the Eagle fans have HOPE while Washington fans are simply frustrated.

Many of you should read the Washington Post comments on Redskin related articles/opinions in the sports section following the "surprising" loss to the Giants.  It's a lot easier when you know your team is playing for nothing vs. a team that had to win to make the postseason. 

Back when Andy Reid was not mailing it in for the Eagles heading into the 2009 NFC playoffs, the Eagles had to beat the Cowboys at home in a 4PM game to advance to the playoffs after a miracle of circumstances that happened in the early games.  The Redskins were in the exact situation on Sunday, and they choked.   The 2008 season Eagles trounced the Cowboys 44-6.  

The Redskins didn't show up against the Giants, yet the Giants played their starters with nothing to play for. Their playoff seed was set.  The Redskins may have more talent than the Eagles today, but Jay Gruden acts on the sidelines as if he doesn't want to be there, a lot like Chip Kelly.  

Despite Doug Pederson's play calling decisions, and risk taking faults as a rookie head coach, he could've made the Eagles season a disaster after the Cincinnati game.  Yet the team responded, Chip Kelly's 2015 Eagles team gave up.  The team wants to play for him, and that's winning half the battle. 

1 person likes this

I thought the way that Doug finished the last two games of the season, which seemed to me a bit dominating at times.. was a great boost to the fan base which was doubting the future.

The Eagles have probably the worst WR core in the NFL, and a slightly above average TE that carried the load in the last game of the season.

The Eagles need to draft an elite WR in the first round of this upcoming draft!  They can't miss on that, might even want to trade up (for the last time this decade).

21 minutes ago, Dewit said:

I have been very harsh of Kirk Cousins but how much of Washington's failure was his fault?  I mean the guy almost threw for 5k yards (3rd in NFL & 500 more than Aaron Rodgers), and a 97.2 QB Rating).  He had a couple of bad games towards the end including this last one throwing 2 picks but only 12 for the year so its not like he was throwing them like Philip (21 this season).

Of course PFF had ranked Washington with having the 2nd best Receiving core

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-receiving-corps-entering-week-7/

while the Eagles on most websites have the worst receiving core (especially among WRs with TE Ertz being the best receiver in a clutch moment as noticed in this last game).

The Eagles do have a really good Oline (not as good as the Cowboys & missing Lane hurts) but I dont know why the run game was as bad as it was with this west coast style it shouldve been better. 

However, the Eagles are simply learning the playbook & the head Coach is learning how to be a head coach.. Andy Reid struggled his first year (as another poster had pointed out)..

so YES I agree the Eagle fans have HOPE while Washington fans are simply frustrated.

Moer yards =/= better QB. Difference between Aaron Rodgers and Kirk Cousins is Rodgers comes through when it counts, and Kirk Cousins doesn't. Redskins were really close to FG range to tie it up and go into OT, and Kirk Cousins throws a game ending INT. If that was Aaron Rodgers and Packers, it would have been a blowout.

1 person likes this

That was a horrible game for Kirk Cousins he did choke throwing 2 picks, but he did throw a 100 yards more than an Eli & a Td.

I wonder why Washington fans aren't as hard on TE Reed for losing a fumble like they are at Kirk for throwing 2 INTs or what about a Defense that allowed over 150 yards rushing or the fact that Washington couldn't run more than 40 combined yards that game.. my point is its a team sport..

Kirk will never be an Aaron Rodgers.. but anyone that thought that is seriously mistaken at his ceiling of skill/talent.

Kirk is an above average to good QB.. or i guess my point is the Redskins have much bigger problems than kirk.

Skins fans have been more critical of DC Joe Barry and our defense than we have been of Kirk. We see what he is, he's never going to be an elite QB and that disappointment is why it has been debated so much. No one wants to pay him the money, but we know we have to in order to remain competitive. 

The good thing is we will have the cap space to pay Kirk, and still improve the time. We will likely bring back Garcon, and let DJax walk. I don't expect Doctson to replace his deep threat ability, but he'll hopefully be a better red zone target and routes in-between the hashes. 

This offseason is going to make or break this coaching staff. IMO, Gruden needs to get over this Tamps loyalty BS, fire Barry, and look at some of these multiple failure HCs who are great defensive minds(Rex Ryan, for instance), and try to get them as DC. We'll also need to draft for DL, ILB, and FS. Besides, looking for a better RB and LG, I'd leave the offense alone. 

Another possibility in regards to Kirk returning is if Kyle Shanahan takes a HC position with a team with no QB, Kirk may join him. Or even our OC Sean McVay. Both have been staunch supporters of Kirk for years.