Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Offseason Plan: The Long Haul Ahead

399 posts in this topic

Sorry for the diversion. I don't know how to post a "link". My son's name is Connor Cook. When Connor Cook QB got drafted the multi billion dollar NFL sent a social media post to my son's account thinking they were sending it to the QB. My son ran with it and made a pretty funny video. Below is the article from the Raider's website. It's worth a quick view to see the video he posted. Sorry that this is so long and I don't know how to get the video.

A Tale Of Two Connors: When Football Meets Firefighting
Posted May 11, 2016

Tyler Moorehead
Senior Social Media Manager
Twitter Facebook
On April 30, the NFL congratulated Connor Cook on being drafted, however, it wasn't the right Connor Cook.
Oakland Raiders rookie QB Connor Cook autographed a football for a firefighter who shares his name.
“When I saw the phone ring, I saw California and I thought, ‘Hold on, I know this number.’ So I just started smiling instantly because I was like, ‘Maybe this is my opportunity here.’ Once I got that call, I just couldn’t stop smiling. I was so happy. My family was happy. My little brother was yelling in the background. I’m like, ‘Calm down! I can’t even hear them!’ But it was definitely a special moment for me and my family and we look forward to making more great moments with the Raiders organization.
When defensive end Shilique Calhoun was drafted by the Silver and Black nearly two weeks ago, he was ecstatic. With one phone call, all of his training, practice, and hard work over the years was rewarded with the opportunity to live out one of his life-long dreams with one of the league’s most iconic franchises. Fast forward less than 24 hours, and one young man in Idaho was even more shocked, beyond his wildest dreams.
On April 30, Connor Cook received a tweet from the NFL that he was selected by the Oakland Raiders with the 100th overall pick in the Draft. Except this Connor Cook was not a quarterback and he never played football at Michigan State. No, the Connor Cook that the league alerted is in fact a paramedic and a firefighter living in Idaho. It was a simple social media mix-up – the Twitter handle @ConnorCook8 (the firefighter’s) was inadvertently tagged in a number of posts by the league instead of the quarterback’s actual handle – and it was quite a surprise for the young man. (Note: the original tweet by the league has been deleted since)
“I was sitting here at work and all the sudden my phone just starting vibrating off the hook,” Cook told EastIdahoNews.com. “It was fun for a while, but I figured I had better tweet them back and let them know they had the wrong guy.”
Cook, who has a great sense of humor, let the league know of its mistake, but also decided to have some fun on social media:

Just over 10 days later, when quarterback Connor Cook signed his deal with the team in California, the NFL decided to poke a little fun at its own mistake, and the QB himself wanted to let his fellow Connor Cook know that he was amused by how well the firefighter had taken the whole process. After all, getting bombarded a quarterback’s Twitter mentions can be quite jarring, and quite frankly, overwhelming. In addition to sending a video message, a signed ball and a gift bag full of Raiders gear was shipped off to Idaho:
VIDEO LOADING
WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
WATCH MORE VIDEOS
REPLAYConnor Cook's Message To Connor Cook00:00/00:14

It’s great to see that everyone was able to see the humor in the situation and have fun with it -- Cook’s mother in Idaho also enjoyed the whole mix-up:

In the end, everyone involved has a great story to tell forever and enjoyed a few laughs.

Devin Taylor UFA

Oh man. Sorry guys. I posted that long thing twice. It wasn't showing up so I thought I had to re-send it. Crap. My bad.

2 people like this

Get him and Terrelle Pryor and we can concentrate on CB and RB

Get him and Terrelle Pryor and we can concentrate on CB and RB

Pryor is not leaving Cleveland

All things remaining the same, this OL is not ready to let JP go. The initial switch can be made, the b/u's are simply not there. Even losing a step, JP is still one of the best and Wentz's health deserves it. Imho there also needs to be a b/u for Lane as I can no longer trust him to stay clean, cost us way too much already. If he wasn't so good I'd get rid of him as he's lost my trust.

Restructure and move him to OG.If he refuses,trade him while he's worth something(and move on)

1 person likes this

If Jason Peters is shown the door - it tells me that the front office doesn't care about building a loyal steady program. Show the rest of the team - if you are an elite player we will pay you and continue to pay you. Don't treat players like mercenaries. They are part of the Eagles foundation.

What we did to Brian Dawkins was idiotic. The guy was a class act and we let him walk. STUPID....don't repeat Joe Banner type moves.

So who treated Peters like a mercenary? He was paid well for 8 years. Don't you mean that Peters "WAS" part of the foundation. How can a 35 year old player be part of any "NEW" foundation?. Every dog has his day and Peters has already had his. I'm for cutting him and letting him sign a two year contract with a Super Bowl contender. That is the only thing missing from his great career and he will certainly not get a ring with this team. He doesn't have enough time to wait.

2 people like this

You guys are talking like we have someone better than JP. OK - move Lane, replace him w/ V, Lane pops again and so goes another season. I'd rather try the switch w/ JP even as G to see what happens rather than let him go and things go south. Just shoveled the 1st 10", hear you don't have to shovel sunshine.

2 people like this

Didn't someone just make another pro-bowl? Funny how this team has a record of dumping pro-bowlers and then wondering why there's no continuity and the team goes downhill. Actually it's not funny, pretty sad.

2 people like this

Go look at Lane's contract, he's being paid as a LT. Also, it's better to send a player off a year or 2 early than holding on to them for too long. You guys are getting your panties into a wad over something that might happen. JFC, all I said was don't be surprised if he doesn't restructure and they work a trade to send him to a perennial Super Bowl contender. You would've thought I burglarized your homes.

1 person likes this

Adoree Jackson with his upside n playmaking ability especially with Tyreek Hill making an impact on ST or Quincy Wilson looks to be a shutdown CB?

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Sorry for the diversion guys but I wanted to share this with you as it is pretty cool and I don't know how to share a "link".

It looks to me like you did a 'Copy' & 'Paste' on this article. You do the same for a 'Link'. When you have the page (article) open that you want to send>take your pointer to the 'Address Bar' up top and highlight it how ever you do it (there's a couple diff.ways),I simply triple click it. Once you have the address 'link' highlighted>Right click>Left click on copy,switch back to the window or page on the EMB that you want to post it on,then in your reply box,Right click>then Left click on 'Paste' and you just pasted your link. There are a couple other ways to do it,but that's the simplest way for me to explain it to you.

COOL STORY!

3 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Oh man. Sorry guys. I posted that long thing twice. It wasn't showing up so I thought I had to re-send it. Crap. My bad.

That's ok,just go to it and click the 'Delete' in the 'EMB Forums-Eagles News Discussion' where the article is.

You guys are talking like we have someone better than JP. OK - move Lane, replace him w/ V, Lane pops again and so goes another season. I'd rather try the switch w/ JP even as G to see what happens rather than let him go and things go south. Just shoveled the 1st 10", hear you don't have to shovel sunshine.

If Lane "pops" he won't make it out of town lol

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Actually it's near death cold here(SW FL).It's going down to 50!!!! OH the HUMANITY!!! I may have to set my bed on fire

2 people like this

Did some stats research in my post-Eagles' season boredom. This is a first-full-season comparison:

McNabb
330comp on 569atts, 58.0comp%, 3365yds, 21tds, 13ints, 210.3yds/game, 77.8rating, 45sacks; *49% comp rate as rookie in his first12 games.

Wentzie
379comp on 607atts, 62.4comp%, 3,782yds, 16tds, 14ints, 236.4yds/game, 79.3rating, 33sacks.

I think Wentz can be much better than McNabb, so I hope that's the case...get him some weapon help. There are a few very good WRs available in 2017 FA and a couple in the draft. I'm not opposed to drafting Cook 1st as mocks are showing with his dual threat skills, but also need a very good CB and WR obviously. I REALLY hope the player scout additions to this team pay off and that if they make good choices that Howie listens to them. I was ticked off at Doug a number of times this season, but he was a rookie HC. I hope he works to improve his play calling and I think he can for sure, especially with more firepower on the O next season. Would love to see one star WR and a star RB added along with a stud CB. Hope Walker, Smallwood and McCalister come back healthy and as strong contributors here., along with Turner and Bailey. I think that bringing BDawk back to this team, even in management, will prove to be a great move- another scout and motivator.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Sorry for the diversion guys but I wanted to share this with you as it is pretty cool and I don't know how to share a "link".

It looks to me like you did a 'Copy' & 'Paste' on this article. You do the same for a 'Link'. When you have the page (article) open that you want to send>take your pointer to the 'Address Bar' up top and highlight it how ever you do it (there's a couple diff.ways),I simply triple click it. Once you have the address 'link' highlighted>Right click>Left click on copy,switch back to the window or page on the EMB that you want to post it on,then in your reply box,Right click>then Left click on 'Paste' and you just pasted your link. There are a couple other ways to do it,but that's the simplest way for me to explain it to you.

COOL STORY!

Thanks for the info EaglesTD123! Appreciate it! It was pretty cool. They interviewed me on the news and asked me if my son could actually play QB. My reply: "I love my son but he can't throw a football worth a darn." He played hockey and Rugby in high school.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Actually it's near death cold here(SW FL).It's going down to 50!!!! OH the HUMANITY!!! I may have to set my bed on fire

OH YEAH! Well it's a smoking 12℉ here at 9:25am & gonna be 22 this afternoon with winds of 15-20,gusting to 35 MPH with a Wind Chill of -5℉. Thursday 56℉,I might have to get in the pool then. ☺

1 person likes this

IF they can find a no. 1 WR you will see a completely different team in 2017. But it HAS GOT to be a proven performer and not a "prospect" or draft choice. Way too many times this past season Wentz had time but had no receivers open. That has GOT to change!And let's not forget importance of the O line - they went 5 - 1 with Lane Johnson and 2 - 8 without him. Peters is nearing retirement and some of the other guys are not fully reliable. A good O lineman is a must from the draft.

2 people like this

21 minutes ago, 60yrfan said:

IF they can find a no. 1 WR you will see a completely different team in 2017. But it HAS GOT to be a proven performer and not a "prospect" or draft choice.

Why?

Get a top notch wide receiver and i'll believe Roseman. Next is another linemen ( we saw the importance of this when Lane was gone ) and lastly a cb who can defend the backfield which is gonna be a must with the emergence of Dallas etc.

Right now I can't get past focusing on the receivers. If we moved Matthews to Slot where he belongs, got a burner for our number two (FA Stills?), and added a power possession number 1 (Williams/Davis?) I could think of other things. You know, like finding a competent RN, nutritionist, pharmacist...and gluing them to Lane Johnson. Nothing goes in his pie hole unless it is analyzed, vetted, and certified with a letter from the NFL promising zero repercussions if it hits on a test. Only then should we fire up the great cornerback debate.

I'm seeing rumors that the Eagles are talking about releasing Jason Kelce and Beckham as casulaties. If you want to release Jason Kelce, why not a trade to get more draft picks?? As far as Doriel-Greene Beckham, give the man a chance to prove he's a better receiver than what he's done in the 2016 season. I see the Eagles make some of the dumbest move by releasing players that they can trade for draft picks. New England does this every year and they always have a multitude of draft picks. In addition the trade that sent Eric Rowe to New England for a 2018 4th round pick was a steal with the Patriots getting a good player for a cheap price. I hope this team can get smarter when it comes to player moves, because some of the moves done in the past leave alot to be desired.

On 18/01/2017 at 5:07 PM, eaglesjohn said:

I'm seeing rumors that the Eagles are talking about releasing Jason Kelce and Beckham as casulaties. If you want to release Jason Kelce, why not a trade to get more draft picks?? As far as Doriel-Greene Beckham, give the man a chance to prove he's a better receiver than what he's done in the 2016 season. I see the Eagles make some of the dumbest move by releasing players that they can trade for draft picks. New England does this every year and they always have a multitude of draft picks. In addition the trade that sent Eric Rowe to New England for a 2018 4th round pick was a steal with the Patriots getting a good player for a cheap price. I hope this team can get smarter when it comes to player moves, because some of the moves done in the past leave alot to be desired.

I can see why they'd be willing to cut Kelce to be honest. He's a good player once he gets to the second level but he gets bulldozed by a lot of guys because he's undersized. He's I think set to cost quite a bit against the cap and I'm just not sure he's worth it... But I'm also not so sure other teams in the NFL would want to try and trade for him! There's no much call in the NFL for an athletic center...

As for DGB well the jury is out for me. Because of the Agholor situation I think he probably will be cut. This team needs an overhaul at the WR position and because of the cap hit it's unlikely that player is Agholor. DGB has talent without doubt but he's also lazy. I mean can you really imagine if we go in to next season with 3 of the WRs from this year? Doesn't feel like much of an upgrade.