Procus

Oakland Raiders filed relocation papers to move to Las Vegas; NFL to vote

147 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Procus said:

You're right, it is odd.  The sad answer is that the Chargers probably couldn't fill up a bigger stadium, and the league would not want to show them playing in an empty stadium.

Actually, it's because the LA Coliseum's contract with USC I believe specifically says no more than one NFL team can be a tenant there at any one time. 

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Actually, it's because the LA Coliseum's contract with USC I believe specifically says no more than one NFL team can be a tenant there at any one time. 

Quit showing me up :P

This is a very dumb move.  LV has too small a population, yes, there is 1M+ in the city, but there are no suburbs, and that is where a lot of fan bases come from

3 minutes ago, astrofed said:

This is a very dumb move.  LV has too small a population, yes, there is 1M+ in the city, but there are no suburbs, and that is where a lot of fan bases come from

LV still has a higher metro population than Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo and Green Bay. They'll be fine. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

That contract must go back 35 years since the Rams were forced to play in Anahiem after the Raiders moved to LA in 1982.   Now that the Angels' ballpark is a true baseball facility, the Chargers are left with an MLS stadium.  This smells of NHL expansion, or relocation over 15 years ago, and they took years to recover.  Why is the NFL rewarding a fan base that in the past didn't care about NFL football to the degree of the other cities east of the west coast?   

The Raiders are going to Vegas?  Stupid.  Send the Raiders to a fan base that has lost a team, TWICE!   St. Louis comes to mind.  Or here's a concept, just keep the Raiders in Oakland.  Goodell is power mad about NFL profit.  

11 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

LV still has a higher metro population than Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo and Green Bay. They'll be fine. 

And is the only city on that list that people willingly visit :roll:

3 people like this

In fairness to GB tho (where you and I met), the drive from Milwaukee. Madison, etc. etc. is under 2 hours (same with drives from Rochester, Syracuse, etc. to Buffalo... mainly because these are the only two states I'm familiar with), so you get a ton of people that go from the region.

I don't think once you get 10 miles outside of Vegas in any direciton, you have a population density greater than 1. 

12 hours ago, astrofed said:

It's the fastest growing metro area over 2 million without a football team.  It's the country's gambling center and playground.  An NFL franchise makes sense in Vegas...both for the NFL making $$$ and for fans.  It makes a lot more sense than 2 teams in a city that barely wanted 1...or having an NFL team play in a stadium befitting an MLS  team for 2 years.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

In fairness to GB tho (where you and I met), the drive from Milwaukee. Madison, etc. etc. is under 2 hours (same with drives from Rochester, Syracuse, etc. to Buffalo... mainly because these are the only two states I'm familiar with), so you get a ton of people that go from the region.

I don't think once you get 10 miles outside of Vegas in any direciton, you have a population density greater than 1. 

Nashville and New Orleans are big tourist spots too but nowhere near the level of Vegas.

You're definitely right with GB having Madison and Milwaukee within driving distance which definitely helps the franchise. Another thing that helps is the storied history with all of the championships, Vince Lombardi, Lambeau Field, etc. People WANT to go to Green Bay to experience all of that, even if they aren't fans of the Packers. It definitely drove me to go there in 2014 when they played the Eagles. Nobody willingly goes to Green Bay, Wisconsin if it isn't for everything I just mentioned. :lol: I don't think people truly appreciate how unique of a situation it is there if they've never been. There are houses and residential neighborhoods literally within a 9-iron shot of the stadium. For PA residents, it would be like rolling into Scranton and all of a sudden you come across a giant NFL stadium.

1 person likes this

Las Vegas is accessible from SoCal, and is such a travel destination that any fans who want to go there to watch football should not have much trouble getting there. The Raiders have a large national following like the Cowboys and Steelers (It has waned a bit since the Raiders were so bad for so long). The move would let them capitalize on that.

The stadium is a big issue, since the Oakland Coliseum is decrepit and California makes it difficult to build a new one. Vegas seems to be welcome to hosting the Raiders. I believe the proposed stadium in Vegas is a dome, so that would eliminate any issues about climate. It will be like the Cardinals playing in Phoenix. 

The biggest question is if Las Vegas can draw enough fans to fill a stadium. It is really unknown at this point. The best comparison you could make is with UNLV football, which is not a Div. I powerhouse by any stretch. I think the current stadium seats 35,000. The only other major league sport in Vegas, the NHL Golden Knights, begins play next season.

4 minutes ago, toolg said:

Las Vegas is accessible from SoCal, and is such a travel destination that any fans who want to go there to watch football should not have much trouble getting there. The Raiders have a large national following like the Cowboys and Steelers (It has waned a bit since the Raiders were so bad for so long). The move would let them capitalize on that.

The stadium is a big issue, since the Oakland Coliseum is decrepit and California makes it difficult to build a new one. Vegas seems to be welcome to hosting the Raiders. I believe the proposed stadium in Vegas is a dome, so that would eliminate any issues about climate. It will be like the Cardinals playing in Phoenix. 

The biggest question is if Las Vegas can draw enough fans to fill a stadium. It is really unknown at this point. The best comparison you could make is with UNLV football, which is not a Div. I powerhouse by any stretch. I think the current stadium seats 35,000. The only other major league sport in Vegas, the NHL Golden Knights, begins play next season.

I thought it was going to have a retractable roof

6 hours ago, bumpy93 said:

I thought it was going to have a retractable roof

It will and I believe the Raiders and UNLV will share it if the Raiders move there.

8 hours ago, Agent23 said:

And is the only city on that list that people willingly visit :roll:

This! Vegas is also an attraction for tourists and an opportunity to expand your fan base beyond only largely California. 

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Iggles said:

That contract must go back 35 years since the Rams were forced to play in Anahiem after the Raiders moved to LA in 1982.   Now that the Angels' ballpark is a true baseball facility, the Chargers are left with an MLS stadium.  This smells of NHL expansion, or relocation over 15 years ago, and they took years to recover.  Why is the NFL rewarding a fan base that in the past didn't care about NFL football to the degree of the other cities east of the west coast?   

The Raiders are going to Vegas?  Stupid.  Send the Raiders to a fan base that has lost a team, TWICE!   St. Louis comes to mind.  Or here's a concept, just keep the Raiders in Oakland.  Goodell is power mad about NFL profit.  

This is a real estate deal.  The new LA Stadium when completed will need another tenant besides the Rams (unless of course Wallyhorse has a better answer)

Edited by Don Corleone

20 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It will and I believe the Raiders and UNLV will share it if the Raiders move there.

And a college bowl game, the Rugby 7's tournament, and probably host other one-off events like concerts, rodeo, MonsterJam/Supercross, etc.

Sounds like this Adelson guy has some cold feet.

The Raiders keep getting screwed. Either way they desperately need a new stadium

14 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

The Raiders keep getting screwed. Either way they desperately need a new stadium

Paybacks a ****. Al Davis did plenty of screwing over people in his time.

1 person likes this

Has anyone done a Welfare check on rtarder ? Rough year for him , first his Carr broke down again  and now his team is moving :( 

1 hour ago, NE.Jon said:

Has anyone done a Welfare check on rtarder ? Rough year for him , first his Carr broke down again  and now his team is moving :( 

And carson wentz is working on his mechanics 

No worry about filling a Las Vegas Raiders stadium with local fans.

Visiting fans will fill it every week.

Plus there are excellent suburbs in LV such as Henderson, Lake Las Vegas and Summerlin.

1 person likes this

ID worry about the trouble a football team would get into in Vegas .