Procus

Oakland Raiders filed relocation papers to move to Las Vegas; NFL to vote

147 posts in this topic

Now that it's official... what's the new abbreviation? 

We've got LAR for the Rams, right?

I'd assume we'd have LAC for the Chargers, like we have for the Clippers in the NBA to differentiate between the L.A. teams. 

Are the Raiders now LV? That makes the most sense, but it looks a little weird. It looks like a Super Bowl numeral. 55, if my Latin is correct. (The SB Wentz is gonna win, amirite?) Maybe LAS? I think it'd be too confusing to have 3 LA_ teams. 

It's a perfect fit. I am all for the Raiders moving to Las Vegas (except for the loss to Oakland fans). But it is going to be interesting to see Vegas fill a 65,000 seat stadium.

Personally, I am more likely to go to Las Vegas to watch the Raiders than travel to Oakland. (In the current rotation, the Eagles are scheduled to travel there in 2021.) It's just the way it is.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Marinomanx013 said:

Now that it's official... what's the new abbreviation?

3 letter abbreviations are bit antiquated now, aren't they? If I have to choose, my guess is LV, or LVS. I figure you'll see it as "Vegas" more often. Modern scoreboards can fit the entire "Las Vegas" or "Raiders" or "Las Vegas Raiders"....

I think the NFL needs to make a rule change so that Mark Davis is required to always walk around with an oversized lolipop

MarkDavis.jpg.b58f3284f4e2e77f318721b8ad616aa1.jpg

3 people like this

31 minutes ago, paco said:

I think the NFL needs to make a rule change so that Mark Davis is required to always walk around with an oversized lolipop

You made my day with that, thank you.

1 person likes this

What's so bad for Oakland fans is the Raiders were terrible for over a decade. They are finally playing good again, then they go and do this. I hope they play if front of an empty stadium for 2 years. I know if i was in Oakland, i wouldn't buy tickets or go watch them play.

2 hours ago, paco said:

I always wondered about his hair .  I bet he does it to be an a** ... because who is going to say anything to him .  He would be better off bald or even one of those hair transplants

I read an article yesterday that Mark Davis registered lasvegasraiders.com on December 25, 1998. So he's at least had this idea for that long.

23 hours ago, toolg said:

What's so bad for Oakland fans is the Raiders were terrible for over a decade. They are finally playing good again, then they go and do this. I hope they play if front of an empty stadium for 2 years. I know if i was in Oakland, i wouldn't buy tickets or go watch them play.

It was either that or join the 49ers in Santa Clara (that stadium was built to house two NFL teams), which Mark Davis didn't want to do because the seats are red for the 49ers as I understand it.  The Oakland Coliseum is severely outdated (built in 1966 and that's even with "Mount Davis" that was built in 1996) and any new stadium in Oakland would have to be shared with the A's, which in this day and age is no longer economically feasible for an NFL club because of the severe number of additional home dates an MLB franchise has (usually 81 plus possibly an exhibition game or two at the end of spring training) with revenue for parking, major concerts and so forth going mainly to the MLB team because of that.  

While the Raiders will be sharing their new building with UNLV, that's quite a bit different than an NFL team.  

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It was either that or join the 49ers in Santa Clara (that stadium was built to house two NFL teams), which Mark Davis didn't want to do because the seats are red for the 49ers as I understand it.  The Oakland Coliseum is severely outdated (built in 1966 and that's even with "Mount Davis" that was built in 1996) and any new stadium in Oakland would have to be shared with the A's, which in this day and age is no longer economically feasible for an NFL club because of the severe number of additional home dates an MLB franchise has (usually 81 plus possibly an exhibition game or two at the end of spring training) with revenue for parking, major concerts and so forth going mainly to the MLB team because of that.  

While the Raiders will be sharing their new building with UNLV, that's quite a bit different than an NFL team.  

For the 2019 season, before they move, the sites being thrown around for the Raiders to play in when their two one-year leases expire, is Levi's Stadium, Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, and AT&T Stadium in San Francisco.

The Raiders haven't expressly said it, but they do not want to play in Sam Boyd Stadium before moving into their new home.

1 hour ago, xzmattzx said:

For the 2019 season, before they move, the sites being thrown around for the Raiders to play in when their two one-year leases expire, is Levi's Stadium, Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, and AT&T Stadium in San Francisco.

The Raiders haven't expressly said it, but they do not want to play in Sam Boyd Stadium before moving into their new home.

Actually, the Raiders as I understood it did say they didn't want to play at Sam Boyd Stadium (too small and a lot of other factors).

I know I'm a few days behind here... But man I feel so sorry for the Raiders fans in Oakland. I mean to all you guys who live in Philly, can you imagine someone moving away the Birds?

It's hard for me to fully understand as I'm not based in Philly so in theory I shouldn't have that kind of attachment to us being the Philadelphia Eagles... But I do and I would never want us to move away. 

And those Raiders fans are such passionate fan base. I really do feel for them. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know I'm a few days behind here... But man I feel so sorry for the Raiders fans in Oakland. I mean to all you guys who live in Philly, can you imagine someone moving away the Birds?

It's hard for me to fully understand as I'm not based in Philly so in theory I shouldn't have that kind of attachment to us being the Philadelphia Eagles... But I do and I would never want us to move away. 

I would hate it .... The team would have to move right away though because the city would not handle it well.   Raiders are staying  put for 2 years ..... IF eagles did that hell if and help them earn one single Fing dollar .  But then Cali teams seem to move a lot so maybe they are just used to it .

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Boo hoo, they just had a title with golden state

Though I'm glad there is no talk of the Birds moving anywhere, I'm not sure right now how I'd feel if they did. Between 99 and 2011 when I was a season ticket holder, I'm sure I'd have been pissed. Since I no longer am, nor do I live in the Philly market anymore, I might be in the same boat as VaBeach and would pull for them the same no matter where they went. At the same time, I would totally get the anger of true Philadelphians who pull for the Birds because of where they're from, and would not pull for them in a different city. I don't think there is a right or wrong way for fans to deal with this issue.

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Though I'm glad there is no talk of the Birds moving anywhere, I'm not sure right now how I'd feel if they did. Between 99 and 2011 when I was a season ticket holder, I'm sure I'd have been pissed. Since I no longer am, nor do I live in the Philly market anymore, I might be in the same boat as VaBeach and would pull for them the same no matter where they went. At the same time, I would totally get the anger of true Philadelphians who pull for the Birds because of where they're from, and would not pull for them in a different city. I don't think there is a right or wrong way for fans to deal with this issue.

The eagles are Philadelphia  and Philadelphia is the Eagles. It would be like taking a part of the City .  It would never happen in a million years here .

11 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

The eagles are Philadelphia  and Philadelphia is the Eagles. It would be like taking a part of the City .  It would never happen in a million years here .

Didn't it come close to happening a few owners ago? I certainly don't believe moving is ever a worry under Lurie, just like many franchises are likely never going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Didn't it come close to happening a few owners ago? I certainly don't believe moving is ever a worry under Lurie, just like many franchises are likely never going anywhere.

1984 Tose almost sold minority intrest . I forget where they might of gone .... for some reason Arizona sounds right  .   Philly fans should also never forget the whole  Steeagles thing in 1943

8 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

1984 Tose almost sold minority intrest . I forget where they might of gone .... for some reason Arizona sounds right  .   Philly fans should also never forget the whole  Steeagles thing in 1943

Yes, I do believe AZ was the likely destination.

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes, I do believe AZ was the likely destination.

Yes, the Eagles almost became the Phoenix Eagles instead of the Cardinals.   If this became reality, Philadelphia would've been awarded a new franchise during the mid 1990's, just like Baltimore.  What must make Cleveland Brown fans sick (the 2.0 version) is their former team has won two SB's as the Ravens.  So if Philadelphia was without an NFL franchise in 1995, do the Browns move to Philly, or Baltimore?   You never know. 

On 4/3/2017 at 6:22 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

On 4/3/2017 at 6:26 PM, NE.Jon said:

Tose had to sell the team because of his gambling problems.  The Eagles almost moved to Phoenix for the 1984 season.

What is little known is had the Eagles moved to Phoenix, the Jets (whose then-owner Leon Hess had grown tired of Shea Stadium and all the issues it had) would have moved to Philly to replace the Eagles instead of simply moving across the Hudson and become a tenant in Giants Stadium (as they would until MetLife Stadium that the Jets and Giants co-own opened).  

That also would have resulted in other ripple effects as the football Cardinals would likely have remained in St. Louis and NOT moved to Phoenix after the 1987 season (when they were they from 1960-'87 you had the St. Louis Cardinals in BOTH MLB and the NFL) unless Bill Bidwell wanted to move the Cardinals to somewhere the NFL would eventually go to (Charlotte or Jacksonville?)