GroundAttack

Official 2017 Offseason (Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, News, etc.) Discussion

316 posts in this topic

Any offseason talk around the NFL, such as trades, FA signings, NFL draft or anything offseason NFL news related can be talked here. I see Don C posted the offseason calendar in another thread, but below are some extra dates that are included. 

The NFL Offseason is here with important periods and events, such as free agency, the NFL Scouting Combine, and the NFL Draft, all fast approaching.

Below is a complete and detailed breakdown of all the important calendared dates to know and events to keep tabs on up until the 2017 preseason kicks off.

February

February 6: Waiver system begins for 2017 NFL season. Teams can extend current contracts and exercise outstanding options.

February 11: NFL Regional Combine: Virginia Mason Athletic Center, Seattle, WA. The NFL launched the Regional and Super Regional Combines in 2012 to serve as a supplement to the League’s National Scouting Combine. These events are designed to provide an opportunity for lower-profile participants to display their pro potential.

February 14 (12PM ET): NFL teams may begin signing Canadian Football League players whose 2016 contracts are expired.

February 15: NFL teams may begin designating Franchise or Transition players.

February 18: NFL Regional Combine: Methodist Training Center, Houston, TX.

February 25: NFL Regional Combine, Inova Sports Performance Center, Washington, D.C.

February 26: Punter/Kicker NFL Regional Combine, Inova Sports Performance Center, Washington, D.C.

February 28 - March 6: NFL Scouting Combine
February 28: NFL Scouting Combine Day One arrivals (Place Kicking, Special Teams, O-Line, Running Backs) at Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN, for registration, orientation, and interviews.

March

March 1: NFL Scouting Combine Day Two arrivals (Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Tight Ends) for registration, orientation, and interviews.

March 1 (4:00 PM ET): Deadline for teams to designate Franchise or Transition players.

March 2: NFL Scouting Combine Day Three arrivals (defensive line and linebackers) for registration, orientation, and interviews.

March 3: Day One On-Field Workouts (PK, ST, RB).

March 3: NFL Scouting Combine Day Four arrivals (defensive backs) for registration, orientation, and interviews.

March 4: Day Two On-Field Workouts (QB, WR, TE).

March 4: NFL Regional Combine: Minnesota Vikings Practice Facility, Eden Prairie, MN.

March 5: Day Three On-Field Workouts (DL, LB).

March 6: Day Four On-Field Workouts (DBs).

March 7 - March 9: "Legal Tampering Period” - NFL teams may begin contract negotiations with the agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents.

March 9 (Before 4:00PM ET):
Deadline for NFL teams to exercise options for 2017 on any player with option clauses in their 2016 contracts.
NFL teams must submit qualifying offers to players with expiring contracts who will become Restricted Free Agents.
NFL teams must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to players who will become Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (expiring contracts and fewer than 3 accrued seasons).
March 9 (After 4:00PM ET):
2017 NFL league year begins, all 2016 contracts expire, free agency and trading opens.
All teams must be and stay under the ‘Top-51’ salary cap for 2017.
March 11: NFL Regional Combine: New Orleans Saints Training Facility, Metairie, LA.

March 26-29: Annual League Meeting, Phoenix, AZ.

April

April 17: NFL teams with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

Approximately 3rd Week of April: Some time around the third week of April, the NFL will announce the 2017 schedule.

April 21: Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

April 27-29: 2017 NFL Draft, Philadelphia, PA

May

May 5-8: Rookie Minicamp weekend #1 - NFL teams may conduct a three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp (either Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday) for rookies and first-year players.

May 9: Deadline for teams to send "May 9 Tender" to its still-unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract until the Tuesday following Week 10 at 4:00PM EST, only with his Prior Club.

May 12-15: Rookie Minicamp weekend #2.

May 15: Rookie Football Development Programs begin.

May 18-21: NFLPA Rookie Premiere - invited rookies must be allowed to attend.

May 22-23: Spring League Meeting, Chicago, IL.

End of May: Voluntary Organized Team Activities (each team gets two three-day periods in May).

June

June 1: Deadline for NFL teams to send "June 1 Tender” to Restricted Free Agents who received qualifying offers in order to subject that player to "June 15 Tender” provision.

June 2: Any player released, waived, or traded on or after this date will have any remaining signing bonus salary cap charges assigned to the team’s 2018 salary cap.

Early- to mid-June: Third scheduled OTA period.

June 15: NFL teams may withdraw qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents and replace with "June 15 Tender”, equal to one year at 110% of previous year’s salary. Players then have exclusive negotiating rights with that team.

Late June: NFL teams host Rookie Transition Programs. Rookie and Veteran Mini-camps will be held.

July

July 15 (4:00 PM ET): Deadline for Franchise-tagged players to sign multi-year extensions. Following this deadline, a player can only sign the one-year Franchise tender.

Mid-July: Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the clubas earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Teams may start training camp no earlier than 15 days before the team's first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

July 22:* Signing Period ends for unrestricted Free Agents to whom a "May 9 Tender" was made. After this date and until 4:00PM EST on the Tuesday following Week 10, the player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.

*or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

July 22: Signing Period ends for Transition Players who have not signed their tenders. After this date and until 4:00PM EST on the Tuesday following Week 10, the player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.

1 person likes this

I think I just spotted Larry Fitzgerald at the airport!

3 people like this

Romo goes where?

Broncos

Bears

Jets

Chiefs

That's my list.

Funny, I already posted the 2017 NFL Schedule in here yesterday.

Justin Gilbert waived by the Steelers yesterday, cleared waivers today, he's now an FA.

Packers cut James Starks today.

42 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Justin Gilbert waived by the Steelers yesterday, cleared waivers today, he's now an FA.

Correct, as I said above there were some dates that were included in the ones I found but yes, I did see yours. 

Browns released Josh McCown and Tramon Williams, frees up $11.3 million in cap space. Add that to the $97.3 million in cap space they already have.

1 hour ago, FlyinBrian36-20 said:

Romo goes where?

Broncos

Bears

Jets

Chiefs

That's my list.

Of that list, I would go with Bears or Jets.

Not a big deal, but the Bucs worked out LS Kameron Canaday

I'd be surprised if Denver signs Romo

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Browns released Josh McCown and Tramon Williams, frees up $11.3 million in cap space. Add that to the $97.3 million in cap space they already have.

97.3 million? Is that the most in the league? Wonder if they're planning on going crazy during FA

1 minute ago, mike030270 said:

97.3 million? Is that the most in the league? Wonder if they're planning on going crazy during FA

They almost have to. There is a cap floor, though I don't know that number, and they're limited like everyone else in their rookie pool money. Of course, they can also do more extensions for current players like they did with Collins.

Just now, mike030270 said:

Yeah, they have the most cap space in the NFL. That's even after they gave Jamie Collins his deal. They could also add close to $17 million by letting Joe Thomas and RGIII go. If they did that, they'd have about $125.6 million in cap space lol. I think it's likely they'll re-sign Pryor before the FA period begins and they add a few pieces. They need a lot.

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

They almost have to. There is a cap floor, though I don't know that number, and they're limited like everyone else in their rookie pool money. Of course, they can also do more extensions for current players like they did with Collins.

The cap floor is 89% of their salary cap over the 4 year period, 2017-2020. So over the 4 year period, overthecap has the total cap projected at $736 million, so 89% of that would be $655,040,000. That is of course, going by the salary cap projections, it could be more/less in any given year.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

The cap floor is 89% of their salary cap over the 4 year period, 2017-2020. So over the 4 year period, overthecap has the total cap projected at $736 million, so 89% of that would be $655,040,000. That is of course going by the salary cap projections, it could be more/less in any given year.

So if I'm understanding that correctly, even if they don't spend an ishton of money this year, they're going to have to at some point in the next few years to reach that 89%?

Isn't there also a yearly floor? Factoring in rollover money, someone could potentially roll over a huge surplus and really outspend everyone, though as we've seen here, that's not necessarily the best route to go either.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

So if I'm understanding that correctly, even if they don't spend an ishton of money this year, they're going to have to at some point in the next few years to reach that 89%?

Isn't there also a yearly floor? Factoring in rollover money, someone could potentially roll over a huge surplus and really outspend everyone, though as we've seen here, that's not necessarily the best route to go either.

Yes.

To your second part, they (the Browns) rolled over $50 million this year lol. Here's how that all breaks down.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yes.

To your second part, they (the Browns) rolled over $50 million this year lol. Here's how that all breaks down.

Cool, thanks!

Though I hate trying to read CBA language. It's worded in such a way often that my eyes start to gloss over. :lol:

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

What the heck happened to him, did Cleveland ruin him ??

7 hours ago, FlyinBrian36-20 said:

Romo goes where?

Broncos

Bears

Jets

Chiefs

That's my list.

He would do good on the Chiefs

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What the heck happened to him, did Cleveland ruin him ??

According to Joe Thomas he doesn't care about football enough to be any good

6 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Of that list, I would go with Bears or Jets.

I'm not sure why everyone says the bears. They are in position to win nothing so I doubt cowboys would trade him he is gonna ask not to go there. The Jets are a little bit better but, I'm sure by now they are gonna pressure the coaching staff to develop somebody that they have drafted at QB. They are not really in position to do anything either. 

Rams hire Falcons QB coach Matt LaFleur to be there OC. Rams hoping this move turns Goff into Matty ice.

Packers release Sam Shields

Raiders sign Del Rio to a 4 year extension.

17 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Raiders sign Del Rio to a 4 year extension.

Good for him I always thought he deserved another shot, he did a good job with the jaguars

On 2/7/2017 at 9:08 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

Here's the thing about the 89% rule, and it might get confusing, but teams dont have to spend 89% of their cap space, they have to reach 89% by means of cash spending in a 4 year period. Without getting into too much detail and accounting terms, cash spending basically means how much cash they spend in that year. So basically in cash spending, whatever signing bonus they give counts to just that year where as if you are looking at cap space, the signing bonus gets spread out over the length of the deal.

If anyone wants to read up on salary cap stuff (exciting stuff, I know!) check out this article which explains the Browns situation and the 89% rule. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/8/11181686/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending

With 2017 being the start of the next 4 year period, they dont have to go crazy with their cap. They can sign a few guys, give them big signing bonuses, still have cap to rollover and not have a problem with the 89% rule. The Browns in particular need to be really careful too. While they have an adjusted cap of $218m, next years cap is only projected at $178m, so unless they sign a ton of guys to 1 year deals or have major contracts coming off the books next year, they cant really use up a lot of their additional cap space unless they want cap problems next year.

1 person likes this