GroundAttack

Official 2017 Offseason (Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, News, etc.) Discussion

316 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, paco said:

I agree.  I was just surprised by the current number.  They tend to be pretty measured in their spending.

I don't think it's that odd. They have a 2 time superbowl mvp qb that's nearing the end of his career. They are throwing it all out there, trying to get 1 more with him.

Posted (edited)

Edited by Don Corleone

Just heard on Sirius that Adrian Peterson is now linked to the Giants.  Also expect Big Hank to resign now that JPP deal is done.

37 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Wow, that's almost fully guaranteed........wonder how much that works out to per remaining finger.

1 person likes this

Great news on JPP. Nice to see them signing a homegrown DL to a long term contract. Hopefully it frees up some cap space in the short-term. 

I still don't see any way they re-sign Hankins based in his current $10M a year asking price. 

Geno Smith is probably a camp body. They re-signed last year's back up John Johnson to a 2-year deal. 

No shot they sign AP. 

Use any cap space available to sign Keenan Robinson. 

1 hour ago, texasgiantfan said:

Just heard on Sirius that Adrian Peterson is now linked to the Giants.  Also expect Big Hank to resign now that JPP deal is done.

Please no. With our luck he'd still have one more good year

1 hour ago, texasgiantfan said:

The giants will be linked to almost every remaining free agent since they are the most active chasers at the moment......maybe they'll get better at drafting at won't have to chase free agents next year.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Way too much money. I like JPP but good God....

That's a lot of lettuce tied up on the Dline..

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Way too much money. I like JPP but good God....

That's a lot of lettuce tied up on the Dline..

It was worse when Schefter first reported it...he said it was 4 yrs @17M per yr with 54M guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, cowboy_ron said:

It was worse when Schefter first reported it...he said it was 4 yrs @17M per yr with 54M guaranteed.

Yeah that would have been downright absurd

1 person likes this

On 3/17/2017 at 4:11 PM, vincent_NJG said:

Yeah that would have been downright absurd

The Giants are close to having another pretty good off season given the resources available. Our key free agents were signed (JPP, Robinson), they made the appropriate cuts (sorry Cruz), we picked up a little offensive juice with Marshall, some blocking help with Ellison, a Newhouse replacement in Fluker and thankfully did not cut DRC. My only regret is that they were not more aggressive in finding competition for Flowers and others on the line, but most of the top OL candidates were not in reach from a financial perspective (Okung, Zeitler, Whitworth,etc). Perhaps they could have went a little harder after Whitworth, but he did land a $36M contract at the age of 35. That's a decent sized risk. All that's left now is Hankins. I could go either way on him. 

Hankins close to resigning