GroundAttack

Official 2017 Offseason (Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, News, etc.) Discussion

316 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, leanmeangreenmachine said:

Here's the thing about the 89% rule, and it might get confusing, but teams dont have to spend 89% of their cap space, they have to reach 89% by means of cash spending in a 4 year period. Without getting into too much detail and accounting terms, cash spending basically means how much cash they spend in that year. So basically in cash spending, whatever signing bonus they give counts to just that year where as if you are looking at cap space, the signing bonus gets spread out over the length of the deal.

If anyone wants to read up on salary cap stuff (exciting stuff, I know!) check out this article which explains the Browns situation and the 89% rule. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/8/11181686/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending

With 2017 being the start of the next 4 year period, they dont have to go crazy with their cap. They can sign a few guys, give them big signing bonuses, still have cap to rollover and not have a problem with the 89% rule. The Browns in particular need to be really careful too. While they have an adjusted cap of $218m, next years cap is only projected at $178m, so unless they sign a ton of guys to 1 year deals or have major contracts coming off the books next year, they cant really use up a lot of their additional cap space unless they want cap problems next year.

Good article, thanks for the info. Makes it a little more clear.

Giants release Victor Cruz

6 minutes ago, GroundAttack said:

Giants release Victor Cruz

Rb Jennings too

56 minutes ago, FlyinBrian36-20 said:

Rb Jennings too

I was a bit surprised about this one. Jennings was only expected to make a little over $2 million. I guess it will be Perkins, Vereen, draft pick next season. (Not in that order)

23 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

I was a bit surprised about this one. Jennings was only expected to make a little over $2 million. I guess it will be Perkins, Vereen, draft pick next season. (Not in that order)

There's a lot of talk about cutting Vereen too. 

On 2/13/2017 at 3:27 PM, Boss Hawg said:

Jennings sucked major bawls. Being the armchair GM that I am, I've been calling for his head all year. 

Either they pick up another retread veteran in the offseason - they almost have to. Or Perkins will get the job by default.

Revis charged with 4 felonies, released on non-monetary bond yesterday 

How much would a Revis contract look like?

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 10:54 AM, leanmeangreenmachine said:

Here's the thing about the 89% rule, and it might get confusing, but teams dont have to spend 89% of their cap space, they have to reach 89% by means of cash spending in a 4 year period. Without getting into too much detail and accounting terms, cash spending basically means how much cash they spend in that year. So basically in cash spending, whatever signing bonus they give counts to just that year where as if you are looking at cap space, the signing bonus gets spread out over the length of the deal.

If anyone wants to read up on salary cap stuff (exciting stuff, I know!) check out this article which explains the Browns situation and the 89% rule. http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/8/11181686/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending

With 2017 being the start of the next 4 year period, they dont have to go crazy with their cap. They can sign a few guys, give them big signing bonuses, still have cap to rollover and not have a problem with the 89% rule. The Browns in particular need to be really careful too. While they have an adjusted cap of $218m, next years cap is only projected at $178m, so unless they sign a ton of guys to 1 year deals or have major contracts coming off the books next year, they cant really use up a lot of their additional cap space unless they want cap problems next year.

And I think I heard somewhere, the only penalty for not spending to the cap floor is that the shortfall in money goes to the NFLPA?

On 2/18/2017 at 1:51 PM, Alphagrand said:

And I think I heard somewhere, the only penalty for not spending to the cap floor is that the shortfall in money goes to the NFLPA?

That's what I remember it being. In the CBA I think they threaten loss of draft picks and other things but in the end they just have to pay the difference, really. It's a rule, but with how teams operate anyway it's not something that really is ever an issue. 

IMO, unused cap money should be divided up amongst former season ticket holders who once sat in the upper level of a team's stadium, behind the home team's bench around the 20 yard line on the side closest to a major highway, 3 seats in from the aisle. 

Just to pick a place at random. 

3 people like this

On 2/21/2017 at 6:03 PM, Don Corleone said:

He has to be done in this league as a starter at this point. He is awful

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

Jets really have some serious disfunction

FYP

34 minutes ago, downundermike said:

FYP

That works too lol

On 2/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, mike030270 said:

How much would a Revis contract look like?

about ten additional TD passes allowed over the course of a season

45 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

about ten additional TD passes allowed over the course of a season

He's fallen off that much? I always thought he'd be one of those players that elite at any age no matter how old

26 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

He's fallen off that much? I always thought he'd be one of those players that elite at any age no matter how old

He might be at that stage where he needs to transition to safety I think

27 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

:)

I'm exaggerating to a degree -- he's not that bad, but he's definitely not what he used to be