Sack that QB

If you could start a team with any NFL player ever in their prime...

62 posts in this topic

If every player in NFL history was reverted back to their prime and all thrown into a large free agent draft and you had the first pick, who would you take to start a team?

One caveat: you don't know who your coach, coordinators, or owner is going to be. All you know is who will be your top pick to start a team.

I'm sure most would take Montana, Brady, Taylor, Rice, but I'm taking Aaron Rodgers. He's the most physically talented QB I've ever seen, and having dealt with a mediocre-at-best coach for his entire career, and still is able to carry a team on his back like no one I've ever seen, I'll go Rodgers with coach, coordinators, and owner being an unknown.

1 person likes this

Well for me you definitely have to go for a QB because that's the most important position and everything is built around that. Plus you have a chance to take literally any QB so you have to take that.

I'd either go Rodgers or Montana. Rodgers for me because he's my era and the best QB I've ever had the pleasure to watch. And he is so versatile and so talented you can plug him in to any style of offense and he will make it work no matter who his receivers are.

But man there's so much choice... 

If you're speaking of every NFL player ever, in their prime, then what era are they playing (under what NFL rules, what medical technology, etc...)? A dominate QB in 1960, transported to 2017, likely wouldn't stand a chance if he's in the same physical shape and his 'reality' from 1960 is transported with him.

Also, a QB from 2017, transported to 1960 might have far superior medical technology, but in 1960, he's not making as much money and may need a 2nd or 3rd job in the offseason to just pay rent and with the rules being what they were in 1960, a 2017 QB wouldn't enjoy the pampering that the rules provide to him and likely wouldn't enjoy nearly the same success.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If you're speaking of every NFL player ever, in their prime, then what era are they playing (under what NFL rules, what medical technology, etc...)? A dominate QB in 1960, transported to 2017, likely wouldn't stand a chance if he's in the same physical shape and his 'reality' from 1960 is transported with him.

Also, a QB from 2017, transported to 1960 might have far superior medical technology, but in 1960, he's not making as much money and may need a 2nd or 3rd job in the offseason to just pay rent and with the rules being what they were in 1960, a 2017 QB wouldn't enjoy the pampering that the rules provide to him and likely wouldn't enjoy nearly the same success.

Just pick a friggin player....^_^

7 people like this

i'm going with Dak.....i mean Brady

1 person likes this

Just now, BKLYNYG said:

Just pick a friggin player....^_^

So Sammy Baugh would be as dominate in 2017 as he was in his 1945 and no other factors would play a role?

Reno Mahe

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, blakjak said:

Reno Mahe

Stole my answer. 

2 people like this

Adrian Peterson

31 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So Sammy Baugh would be as dominate in 2017 as he was in his 1945 and no other factors would play a role?

Use your imagination. Take a player from the past and assume he has access to all the same medical and technological advances afforded to players today. Then take a player from today and assume he would play under the same conditions as the old timers. It's pretty simple and obviously a hypothetical scenario brah. 

For me it came down to 5 players: Montana, Taylor, Brady, Rodgers and Reggie. My heart tells me to take Taylor, but my brain says Rodgers is the best building block, so I'll choose the latter. 

bobby hoying

8 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Use your imagination. Take a player from the past and assume he has access to all the same medical and technological advances afforded to players today. Then take a player from today and assume he would play under the same conditions as the old timers. It's pretty simple and obviously a hypothetical scenario brah. 

For me it came down to 5 players: Montana, Taylor, Brady, Rodgers and Reggie. My heart tells me to take Taylor, but my brain says Rodgers is the best building block, so I'll choose the latter. 

Well, if I'm using my imagination, I'm taking me as the first player chosen. When I played in the CYO, I was a dominate DE and a dominate Center on the O-Line.

Reggie White? You'd never have heard his name, when you think great DE's, you'd be thinking "VaBeach_Eagle" was the greatest of all time!! Even YOU would be an Eagles fan because of my dominance!

For WR, I'm taking Bobby Brady.

ad5575999e5336574e9cb194d761ac9b.jpg.ca4166244475cbbfd38ec84bfa675e24.jpg

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, if I'm using my imagination, I'm taking me as the first player chosen. When I played in the CYO, I was a dominate DE and a dominate Center on the O-Line.

Reggie White? You'd never have heard his name, when you think great DE's, you'd be thinking "VaBeach_Eagle" was the greatest of all time!! Even YOU would be an Eagles fan because of my dominance!

For WR, I'm taking Bobby Brady.

Ummm, ok...:huh:

1 person likes this

Just now, BKLYNYG said:

Ummm, ok...:huh:

Come on, use your imagination!

Art Schlichter or Tony Mandarich

1 person likes this

Shane Falco.

1 person likes this

Defense travels

It would be a coin flip between Reggie White and LT for me.

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

Defense travels

You either have to go QB or the guy that destroys the other team's QB.  QB though is dependent on the line and receivers where a dominant pass rusher can take over a game.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Defense travels

What about Ray Lewis?

At QB. I would want one of: Brady, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Elway, Favre, Young, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Staubach, Otto Graham.... If I knew the coaches up front, I'd want to pick the QB whose skill-set matches the offense. If I don't know the coaches, then which specific QB I get is actually LESS important. So then I might look to defense like Reggie White, LT, Bruce Smith... Or I might take Jim Brown, who I consider one of the most dominant players at any position in his prime.

Juqua Parker (naturally)

1 person likes this

I'd take a QB and I'd go with Joe Montana or Tom Brady.

If I had a defensive pick, I'd take LT.

Clifford Franklin

....no Rudy

fine, Tom Brady