Jason1978

Kirk Cousins wants out of Washington?

118 posts in this topic

Quote

ESPN's Jason Reid reported Thursday that Kirk Cousins "doesn't want to be in Ashburn." He also said Cousins wants the franchise tag for 2017. "For the past couple of years, former Redskins officials who know Cousins have said he really doesn't want to be in Ashburn," Reid reported. "He wants tag."

ESPN's John Keim reported this week that Shanahan "will be tempted" to go after Cousins. The CBA stipulates two-first round picks as compensation for the quarterback, but terms can be negotiated, according to Keim.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Redskins and Cousins "hadn't come any closer on an agreement."

Cousins, who signed the franchise tag last offseason, would make $23.94 million under the 2017 tag. He made $19.95 million last season. The CBA stipulates that a franchise-tagged player who is tagged again the following year is due a 120-percent raise. That means Cousins would be due $34.5 million if he were to be franchise-tagged again in 2018.

Cousins told NFL.com's Conor Orr last month at the Pro Bowl that he was "open minded" about where he ends up.

"I don't know," Cousins told Orr. "I think you have to have an open mind but ultimately it's not in my hands in the sense that the team is going to make that decision and I'll react accordingly."

If Cousins is somehow signed long-term before the 2017 season, he could see the richest contract in NFL history.

If this is true this could be very good news for the Eagles. I really can't blame the Redskins for not paying him top 5 QB money (reports are he wants Andrew Luck type money) as Cousins is still way too unreliable. He has games in which he looks elite and games in which he looks like Jay Cutler. Redskins are an 8-9 win team with him so pretty mediocre anyways. This is a team who could easily fall apart this offseason. Cousins leaves, Jackson and Garcon are free agents, major questions at RB and on defense and a below average head coach. 

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2017/02/17/Report-Kirk-Cousins-wants-out-of-Washington/3991487352109/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be mad if he left the division.

He's an Eagle killer.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

The CBA stipulates two-first round picks as compensation for the quarterback, but terms can be negotiated,

Am I reading this right? Two first round picks for Cousins if he leaves? Really? 

4 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

He also said Cousins wants the franchise tag for 2017

Of course he does! $34.5 million and a team littered with weapons that inflate his numbers and make him look better than he is? Course he wants the tag. He'd be a fool not to.

If Cousins leaves I actually think that's bad for the Eagles. I know he's had our number for the past few years but he's not a good QB! And yes in the short term maybe that would hurt Washington who could end up with a worse QB but it would force them to find a franchise QB and that in the long term would make them better. Plus the money that cousins seemingly wants is going to screw whoever he signs for. I'd rather that he Washington and we'll see what he can do next year with potentially no Garcon or DJax! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Am I reading this right? Two first round picks for Cousins if he leaves? Really? 

Of course he does! $34.5 million and a team littered with weapons that inflate his numbers and make him look better than he is? Course he wants the tag. He'd be a fool not to.

If Cousins leaves I actually think that's bad for the Eagles. I know he's had our number for the past few years but he's not a good QB! And yes in the short term maybe that would hurt Washington who could end up with a worse QB but it would force them to find a franchise QB and that in the long term would make them better. Plus the money that cousins seemingly wants is going to screw whoever he signs for. I'd rather that he Washington and we'll see what he can do next year with potentially no Garcon or DJax! 

Faith in Washington, you have too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Faith in Washington, you have too much.

Ah see no no! No no my friend! What I'm saying is if they lose Cousins they then have to go and find a franchise QB. I'm not saying that they would get it right but it gives them an opportunity to and that I don't want. Just the idea that they could find a guy that goes on to be their franchise QB for years is an idea I don't like. Let them keep Coupons.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Am I reading this right? Two first round picks for Cousins if he leaves? Really? 

If a team signs a non-exclusive franchise tagged player to an offer sheet, the team that he's tagged by can match the offer or let him go. If they let him go, the team that's losing him gets two 1st round picks.

That's why you hardly have ever see tagged players leave. As for it being negotiable, I've never heard that before but to negotiate down from two first round picks would be a bit silly unless they just really don't want him and they believe that they won't get the picks at all. Then maybe settling for a first and a second (or something of that sort), might make sense to them.

Off the top of my head, this early, I can't name any team that gave up two first round picks since the franchise tag system was adopted. I seem to think it has happened, but I just can't think of when (if it happened at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If a team signs a non-exclusive franchise tagged player to an offer sheet, the team that he's tagged by can match the offer or let him go. If they let him go, the team that's losing him gets two 1st round picks.

That's why you hardly have ever see tagged players leave. As for it being negotiable, I've never heard that before but to negotiate down from two first round picks would be a bit silly unless they just really don't want him and they believe that they won't get the picks at all. Then maybe settling for a first and a second (or something of that sort), might make sense to them.

Off the top of my head, this early, I can't name any team that gave up two first round picks since the franchise tag system was adopted. I seem to think it has happened, but I just can't think of when (if it happened at all).

I believe Dallas gave up 2 first rounders when they signed joey Galloway from Seattle. I think that was like 2000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I believe Dallas gave up 2 first rounders when they signed joey Galloway from Seattle. I think that was like 2000?

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I believe Dallas gave up 2 first rounders when they signed joey Galloway from Seattle. I think that was like 2000?

Now see, this example and then their Roy Williams trade with the Lions are prime examples why WR isn't the simple answer.

The number one element for a team is a reliable, quality QB. And also WRs that can catch. But just as important as the QB, you need either an advantageous defense or stout defense.

CBs has to be Roseman's priority above all else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

 

CBs has to be Roseman's priority above all else

But see what hurt this team more than any other last year? Because I'd say it was the offense more than the defense. And despite their problems the corners outplayed the WRs. But that said... I'm on board with going corner at least twice in this draft. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Now see, this example and then their Roy Williams trade with the Lions are prime examples why WR isn't the simple answer.

The number one element for a team is a reliable, quality QB. And also WRs that can catch. But just as important as the QB, you need either an advantageous defense or stout defense.

CBs has to be Roseman's priority above all else

CB is an issue no doubt, but since this team is not ready to compete for anything significant yet, I would rather they make the offense around Wentz as good as possible. Give him every advantage possible so that he's as ready as can be when/if this team is ever ready to be serious competitors.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused. Does he want a huge contract or does he just not want to play for Skins anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I'm confused. Does he want a huge contract or does he just not want to play for Skins anymore?

i wouldn't want to play for Dan Snyder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vsptroops said:

I believe Dallas gave up 2 first rounders when they signed joey Galloway from Seattle. I think that was like 2000?

Yeah, and there might be one more example from the 90's, but there aren't very many cases where a team is willing to part with 2 first round picks like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, cowboy_ron said:

Dak>Cousins>Wentz

and when Dak comes back down to earth Cowboy ron will disappear  just like that 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cowboy_ron said:

Dak>Cousins>Wentz

I wouldn't say that yet.

Anyways, if I was Redskins, I would tell him "he won't be getting $24M/year. He gets $18M/year. Take it or leave it. If he wants to ruin his career in, say, Cleveland or New York(Jets) for top 5 QB money, go on ahead. He won't be getting richest contract in history here."

Maybe if K. Cousins didn't screwed in week 17 against Giants, he just might have gotten what he wants. Joe Flacco was in a similar position, but difference is he didn't screw up in a big game before his contract ran out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

redskins have not been all that great nor has Kapt Kirk . Its pretty sad when a franchise is excited  being just over .500     Remeber when they said they owned the NFCE because of the disaster the East was in 2015  . Now they also have both their top Wide outs hitting FA  . J Reed is a concussion away from eating from a tube  and there D is a mess. Add in  a new OC / DC  who wants to be in that crap hole .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

CB is an issue no doubt, but since this team is not ready to compete for anything significant yet, I would rather they make the offense around Wentz as good as possible.

Normally I would agree with you... But this is a really good draft for corners and I think that we have to take advantage of that! Usually yes I'd be all for us giving Wentz weapons but in this scenario given the corners available I think we have to go corner and at some point RB too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Normally I would agree with you... But this is a really good draft for corners and I think that we have to take advantage of that! Usually yes I'd be all for us giving Wentz weapons but in this scenario given the corners available I think we have to go corner and at some point RB too. 

I'm not against taking corners at all. I just believe the key to this team's future is the success of Wentz, and that side of the ball needs to be as loaded as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm not against taking corners at all. I just believe the key to this team's future is the success of Wentz, and that side of the ball needs to be as loaded as possible.

I would say if Mike Williams and Corey Davis are gone by #14/#15, they got to get a CB. They can always get a RB in later round.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the Hell is Cousins' problem? They've done right by him since Day 1.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were Snyder, I'd be very tempted to sign Foles, let Cousins walk, and spend the many, many millions in savings on a couple elite FA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 4:39 PM, NE.Jon said:

redskins have not been all that great nor has Kapt Kirk . Its pretty sad when a franchise is excited  being just over .500     Remeber when they said they owned the NFCE because of the disaster the East was in 2015  . Now they also have both their top Wide outs hitting FA  . J Reed is a concussion away from eating from a tube  and there D is a mess. Add in  a new OC / DC  who wants to be in that crap hole .

lol, the irony.......the eagles all time record.....555-591-26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now