Jason1978

Kirk Cousins wants out of Washington?

148 posts in this topic

I was never great at math but isn't 120% raise of $19 million over $40 million a year. How did they come up with $34m?

7 hours ago, MERK said:

I was never great at math but isn't 120% raise of $19 million over $40 million a year. How did they come up with $34m?

No. 120% basically means 20% more than his previous year's salary. $19 Million would be 100% of the previous year, so an extra 20% is almost $5 Million. He's set to make $24 Million, not $34 Million.

So he gets the exclusive tag and is making Romo $. Woah.

Yea he's as good as gone. Unless Washington dumps a pile a cash on him, but they don't appear to want to keep him long term unless it's cheaper than Andrew Luck's contract. That's not going to happen

8 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Yea he's as good as gone. Unless Washington dumps a pile a cash on him, but they don't appear to want to keep him long term unless it's cheaper than Andrew Luck's contract. That's not going to happen

Putting the exclusive tag on him would suggest they do want him long term. The Skins didn't just try to scare off other teams by requiring them to give up 2 first round picks. They completely prohibited teams from even contacting him. 

1 person likes this

On 2/27/2017 at 10:57 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

They can get similar, if not, better, performance out of Nick Foles, and he would be much cheaper.

No way. Nick Foles is not the equal to Kirk as a QB. He's proven the only system he could look decent in was Chip's. Furthermore, he'll need to learn an offense that Kirk is has way more familiarity, despite it being extremely well designed and user friendly. No way Foles would get close to 4900 yards and a 2:1 td/int ratio. 

48 minutes ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

No way. Nick Foles is not the equal to Kirk as a QB. He's proven the only system he could look decent in was Chip's. Furthermore, he'll need to learn an offense that Kirk is has way more familiarity, despite it being extremely well designed and user friendly. No way Foles would get close to 4900 yards and a 2:1 td/int ratio. 

Foles is actually the only pro QB that's had success in Chip's system.  I don't credit Chip for making Foles look good, I credit Foles (and the other players we had at the time) for making Chip look better than he is.  He didn't do well in STL, but what QB in recent history has?  If Cousins had been in STL he'd have done poorly too.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

your right he would of done better .... 5k yards and only 25 TDs  in 16 games .  So that means he tossed the ball a lot but could not finish drives in Redzone 

3 hours ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Well, even though i say Kirks a good qb, hes also benefits from a massive arsenal of weapons, like Foles had. Kirk doesn't have the rb Foles had (Morris still killed it for a bit might I add) but he (Kirk) has more recieving threats. 

Foles either only had Jackson and Cooper or Maclin and Cooper. Really no comparison in terms of Washingtons depth of quality at the recieving position. For all we know Foles would've done great on Washington as well. No one will ever know anyway. He'll just be another wasted talent.

Im loving the Redskins Tagged him .  Never Never has a player had so much power in negotiations before .  He can say F off to any LTD the FO throws at him and can walk right into FA next year holding skins team by the balls . 

While I don't think Cousins is a great QB by any stretch, here are some other QBs I hand picked that make big money but either suck worse than him, or you could make the argument he is around their skill level:

Carson Palmer 24.3 mil

Joe Flacco 22.1 mil

Eli Manning 21 mil

Phillip Rivers 20 mil

Tannehill 19mil

Cutler 18 mil

Tyrod Taylor 18 mil

Brock Osweiler 18 mil

QBs, in general, just cost a lot of money.  

If Wentz continues to improve as we hope he does... when it's time for his contract extension I fully expect him to be the highest paid QB ever.  Then a year or 2 later someone else will take that crown.  It always happens, this is just the nature of the beast and the sport.

Rookie contract + 1st franchise tag + 2nd franchise tag........he's made like 50M already and hasn't signed his first negotiated long term contract yet

My hope is the Redskins keep cousins while letting all his receivers go.

12 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Putting the exclusive tag on him would suggest they do want him long term. The Skins didn't just try to scare off other teams by requiring them to give up 2 first round picks. They completely prohibited teams from even contacting him. 

Certainly true, but it's still a tag. The skins are simply delaying the inevitable.

all teams besides the browns can say , at least we are not the Redskins 

41 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

all teams besides the browns can say , at least we are not the Redskins 

They are a mess truthfully. The way that their FO is functioning is very odd and also petty. And i'm not just talking about the Cousins situation, but the relationship between the GM and the President

If I were a Redskins fan, I'd be praying they franchise and trade Cousins, then sign Foles.  Looks for talented developmental arms in the mid-rounds of the draft.

As an Eagles fan, I hope they show him big money.  Cousins has had success against the Eagles and isn't a bad qb, but he's not good enough for a mega-deal.  That will just hold them back.

Bruce Allen does not even know how to say Skins Qbs name .... dissed in a interview LOL  no wonder Kirk wants out 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

If I were a Redskins fan, I'd be praying they franchise and trade Cousins, then sign Foles.  Looks for talented developmental arms in the mid-rounds of the draft.

As an Eagles fan, I hope they show him big money.  Cousins has had success against the Eagles and isn't a bad qb, but he's not good enough for a mega-deal.  That will just hold them back.

Redskins are dead square in the Jake Delhomme conundrum.  He isn't worth the franchise money it will take to keep him, but losing him wrecks your chances for success on a win-now team.

34 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Redskins are dead square in the Jake Delhomme conundrum.  He isn't worth the franchise money it will take to keep him, but losing him wrecks your chances for success on a win-now team.

And the worst part...a sensitive fan with foresight hopes for the later.

A GM knows he'll be fired if he takes that route.  So he has no choice but to push forward and maximize a plan that he knows isn't good enough.

Report: Possibility of a three-way trade involving Kirk Cousins, Tony Romo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/03/report-possibility-of-a-three-way-trade-involving-kirk-cousins-tony-romo/

Well, this would shake things up.

In the wildest permutation of the quarterback dominoes falling we’ve heard to date, we have a report that a three-way trade could be discussed which would include Washington, San Francisco and Dallas and presumably keep Tony Romo in the NFC East.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, as a potential Kirk Cousins deal to the 49ers is discussed, the two teams may involve the Cowboys.

That’s a lot of conditions jammed into one tweet.

That would mean Cousins could join Kyle Shanahan with the 49ers, Washington would end up with a longtime rival and the Cowboys would end up with picks.

This is, frankly, so far out there it’s hard to believe, as the idea of the Cowboys trading Romo to a team they play twice a year seems farfetched. And since Romo has some degree of control over this process, it would be a bit of a surprise if Washington would be the place he’d choose to be.

There are much larger problems in Washington than Kirk Cousins.   I had to get my info from ESPN Monday that the current Redskins player personnel director Scot Mccloughan didn't appear at the NFL combine.   The Redskins excuse is that he lost his grandmother a month ago.  Then the ESPN hosts brought up his old "demons" that Scot claimed to have overcome. So what do the Redskins do to counter this; they extend Jay Gruden's contract two years.  The HC who barely missed the playoffs twice gets a reward for more failure.   What if Danny goes back into "old Danny" mode and fires Gruden next year?  All the wasted money Danny has to pay Jay Gruden for a stupid PR move to cover up a real problem.  

Yet many Eagle fans still believe Lurie and Howie Roseman are the worst owner/GM tandem in the NFL.  If those "people" could break out of their Philadelphia-centric bubble, maybe they could see the entire world of the NFL.  

1 person likes this

On 3/1/2017 at 0:26 PM, FlyinBrian36-20 said:

Well, even though i say Kirks a good qb, hes also benefits from a massive arsenal of weapons, like Foles had. Kirk doesn't have the rb Foles had (Morris still killed it for a bit might I add) but he (Kirk) has more recieving threats. 

Foles either only had Jackson and Cooper or Maclin and Cooper. Really no comparison in terms of Washingtons depth of quality at the recieving position. For all we know Foles would've done great on Washington as well. No one will ever know anyway. He'll just be another wasted talent.

He'll just be another wasted talent. A shame but probably true at this point. 

The Skins are going nowhere next year. The other three teams in the division are better. Trade Cousins and reboot the franchise. 

That's an opposing fans take, interested in what Skins fans think. NIBGoldenchild?

Surprised Cousins signed his tender so soon.  He's either stupid or they're now willing to trade him.