VaBeach_Eagle

Rumor: Possibility of a three-way trade involving Cousins, Romo (UPDATE Romo to be released)

86 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If the Redskins want Romo, they could trade Cousins to the 49ers, then trade with the Cowboys for Romo for something that Romo's worth, like an 8th round pick. Certainly not the 2nd overall.

I completely understand the excitement that Cowboys fans would feel at seeing their team commit 'armed robbery' and coming out with the #2 overall pick, but it's an unrealistic scenario and if it happens, a very foolish move by the Redskins to give the #2 overall pick to a hated division rival.

Oh I understand what your saying and it would go down as one of the biggest trades in NFL history. It could happen but so many hurdles would have to 

Its just something to talk about before the new season starts next week and the draft next month. JJ could certainly find his pass rusher at number 2 overall.

19 minutes ago, gibsonplyer said:

Why would anyone trade anything for Romo much less the 2nd overall pick?  The Cowboys need him off their books.  They don't have leverage here.

Knowone is saying Dallas has leverage. But if a team calls and wants your QB then you listen. Don't your remember a year ago when a desperate team called you and wanted Bradford who is a below average QB. You got a first round pick for him. Look what you gave up in players to draft Wentz, so how we value players isn't how NFL GM's do it. 

46 minutes ago, gch said:

Oh I understand what your saying and it would go down as one of the biggest trades robberies in NFL history.

Fixed

2 hours ago, gch said:

Knowone is saying Dallas has leverage. But if a team calls and wants your QB then you listen. Don't your remember a year ago when a desperate team called you and wanted Bradford who is a below average QB. You got a first round pick for him. Look what you gave up in players to draft Wentz, so how we value players isn't how NFL GM's do it. 

But that's just it, no one has called Dallas about Romo, because they know they could potentially get him without giving anything up. 

fake news

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

But that's just it, no one has called Dallas about Romo, because they know they could potentially get him without giving anything up. 

I never said a team called Daals. Besides they can't the new league year hasn't started yet. Yes they will cut him or release him if he is not traded. 

"loading up on picks" for an injury plagued qb in the twilight of his career who just got dethroned by a rookie. 

Somebody is delusional. Romo is barely worth a pick at all. Especially when teams know he's likely to get cut. 

Quite a Devil's Three Way

17 minutes ago, gch said:

I never said a team called Daals. Besides they can't the new league year hasn't started yet. Yes they will cut him or release him if he is not traded. 

You just said it yourself. No team is giving up anything of real value for him based on the latter part of your post. 

And Bradford was dealt when the pick was potentially a late round first.  The Niners know they have the 2nd overall pick.  I'll die from laughter if the Niners get cousins, redskins get romo and the Cowboys get the 2nd overall pick. :roll:

1 hour ago, Machine said:

You just said it yourself. No team is giving up anything of real value for him based on the latter part of your post. 

And Bradford was dealt when the pick was potentially a late round first.  The Niners know they have the 2nd overall pick.  I'll die from laughter if the Niners get cousins, redskins get romo and the Cowboys get the 2nd overall pick. :roll:

That's not funny Mach!! 

Jerry Jones: No truth to three-way rumors, Tony Romo might still stay

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/04/jerry-jones-no-truth-to-three-way-rumors-tony-romo-might-still-stay/

Jerry Jones isn’t considering any three-way deals. Trades, you weirdo.

The Cowboys owner told reporters on his bus today at the Scouting Combine that the reported/maybe/possibly considered/future inclusion of Tony Romo into a rumored/convoluted swap between Washington and San Francisco was news to him.

According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Jones said that wasn’t a possibility, and that there was no legitimacy to the reports.

That’s frankly what you’d expect him to say, as the initial report was so full of conditions that it was hard to believe.

Jones also refused to rule out the possibility of Romo returning to the Cowboys next season as a $14 million backup to Dak Prescott,

"I have not ruled out the possibility of him being a part of the Cowboys at all,” he said, via Todd Archer of ESPN.com.

Frankly, that’s just as unbelievable as the three-way trade, but it’s the thing he has to say while preserving all his options for possibly trading Romo in the coming days.

7 hours ago, gch said:

Totally different situation.

1)  Bradford was the starting QB at the time Romo is not and everyone knows it.

2)  HUUUUUUUGE  Difference between on the eve of the regular season and before the draft.  No one is  that desperate now.  There will be options at QB other than Romo.

3)  Chances are the Cowboys are going to have to cut Romo and the league knows it.  Teams are probably more likely to sit back and wait for that to happen rather than give up any draft capital for it.  Now if they're worried about competition they may be willing to throw a late round pick the Cowboys way to ensure they get him but that's a late round pick not #2 overall.

The only thing that keeps this rumor from being the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, is that all 3 franchises involved have track records for being ridiculous.

1 person likes this

It's too weird . . . I'll believe it when I see it.

But I don't expect to see it.

Even if this click bait rumor, Jones would be a fool not to at least try and those talks in motions, even if it falls apart...

If (when?) Romo gets traded, I would think the comparative in terms of compensation would be somewhat similar to what the Packers got for Brett Favre when they traded him to the Jets in 2008. In that deal, the Packers received a conditional fourth round pick. 

Old quarterback with maybe a couple years left. Favre was older then than Romo is now but he was also the better, healthier quarterback. Romo has significantly more question marks due to injury. 

The difference between a conditional fourth and the second overall pick is extremely vast. There's no way in hell the Cowboys would ever get that.

1 person likes this

While I can't fathom Dallas getting the #2 overall pick for Romo, anything is possible in the National Fixed-Ball League, especially when Jerruh is involved.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, gch said:

Only difference is Bradford is younger and proved the last few years he can stay healthy.  Romo on the other hand has missed most of the last 2 seasons.

If Romo was around 30 years old then maybe I could see getting a 1st for him.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:27 AM, gch said:

Well for Redskins it would get rid of Cousins and bring in a division rival QB that may have a year or possibly two left which would buy them time to find his replacement. One website says Dallas would receive multiple picks and the other stated Dallas would receive the number 2 over all from San Fran. That would be even better then the Bradford trade for a first rounder. Still seams far fetched but strange things happen in the NFL. Imagine Dallas with the 2nd and 28th pick in the first round. 

The Red Skins would have to be totally insane to make that kind of a deal.  That's quite a gamble, and a hefty price tag on top of it . If the Skins are that stupid than they deserve the set back they are going to experience. I would think that they learned their lesson, from drafting an injury prone QB in RGIII. To not want to go down that road again. Albeit with a veteran QB this time around.

Besides that, Cousins has to be out of his cotton pick'in mind, to want to go elsewhere. When Gruden gave him his chance to be a starter. Under anyone else he may have remained  second or third on their depth chart. He knows their system and his team mates. Now is  the time for him to really establish himself  as the face of that franchise...not make unnecessary moves, to salve his ego.

As for Romo being a stop-gap , they do have Colt McCoy. Who could step in and hold down the fort for a season or two ( should Cousins actually go to SF) until their new drafted QB could take over . They don't need to take on Romo, his hefty contract or his injury history to have someone. At the very least in McCoy they could expect stability at the position for a year or two.That isn't a guarantee , but a much greater %-age than what they would be able to expect, or count on out of Romo.

Of course the Dallas fans are all for it...why wouldn't they be? They are the ones to gain the most. High draft pick(s) and the departure of injury riddled  Romo and his hefty contract. What's not to like about that? 

They should make it a 4 way deal and add in URLACHERZZ!!!

No one is giving value for the right to inherit a brittle 37 year old who has the same number of collarbone snaps as winning seasons in the last 7 years.

Then they get to pay him 14 million for 1 year.

Dallas would be smart and very stupid to keep Romo. Smart because they would have a Pro Bowl veteran backup. Stupid because Dak will constantly be looking over his shoulder and after those bad games people will be calling for Romo. Also how happy will Romo be staying backing up Dak rather than going to say Denver or Houston? 

12 hours ago, forevereagles said:

The Red Skins would have to be totally insane to make that kind of a deal.  That's quite a gamble, and a hefty price tag on top of it . If the Skins are that stupid than they deserve the set back they are going to experience. I would think that they learned their lesson, from drafting an injury prone QB in RGIII. To not want to go down that road again. Albeit with a veteran QB this time around.

Besides that, Cousins has to be out of his cotton pick'in mind, to want to go elsewhere. When Gruden gave him his chance to be a starter. Under anyone else he may have remained  second or third on their depth chart. He knows their system and his team mates. Now is  the time for him to really establish himself  as the face of that franchise...not make unnecessary moves, to salve his ego.

Cousins would know the system in San Francisco as well because Kyle Shanahan was his offensive coordinator with the Redskins. Also the Redskins have no run game, might lose Jackson and Garcon, have some holes to fix elswhere. It has already been reported that Cousins likely will be the highest paid QB in the NFL in 2018...money he hasn't earned at all yet. The team is 19-21-1 with him as a starter. He has games where he looks elite, games where he looks like Ryan Fitzpatrick. He played a major role this year in them missing the playoffs with his poor play the final few games.

If SF is offering up two firsts or a first for Cousins hell yeah you take it because you will not have to pay him that money and can find a QB. 4-12, 9-7, 8-7-1 under Gruden...no guarantee he will be their head coach 1-2 years from now. As for the three way deal...now that would be a mistake for the Redskins. SF gets Cousins, Dallas gets the first rd pick, Redskins get Romo? How does that even make sense? 

Why are people still talking about this? This proposed trade was just twitter speculation that went out of control. It was never going to happen. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

Cousins would know the system in San Francisco as well because Kyle Shanahan was his offensive coordinator with the Redskins. Also the Redskins have no run game, might lose Jackson and Garcon, have some holes to fix elswhere. It has already been reported that Cousins likely will be the highest paid QB in the NFL in 2018...money he hasn't earned at all yet. The team is 19-21-1 with him as a starter. He has games where he looks elite, games where he looks like Ryan Fitzpatrick. He played a major role this year in them missing the playoffs with his poor play the final few games.

If SF is offering up two firsts or a first for Cousins hell yeah you take it because you will not have to pay him that money and can find a QB. 4-12, 9-7, 8-7-1 under Gruden...no guarantee he will be their head coach 1-2 years from now. As for the three way deal...now that would be a mistake for the Redskins. SF gets Cousins, Dallas gets the first rd pick, Redskins get Romo? How does that even make sense? 

Did he even play under Shanahan ? I can't remember. At any rate he would still have to develop a chemistry with his new team mates. That doesn't happen over night, as we have learned with Wentz and our W/O's.  

I know it's been rumored that Jackson and Gargon may leave. But they could still stay put. F/A isn't always a players best  friend. 

Didn't they just franchise tag Cousins  for the second  time? At least that was reported here in DC territory.  So whomever wants him, they would have to meet the tag price. From what I've heard ( due to  the increase in the cap) for this season, it is quite a hefty price .I just can't imagine anyone wanting to take on that contract for an average QB , and give up  picks  to boot. That to me is insane.

4 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

Dallas would be smart and very stupid to keep Romo. Smart because they would have a Pro Bowl veteran backup. Stupid because Dak will constantly be looking over his shoulder and after those bad games people will be calling for Romo. Also how happy will Romo be staying backing up Dak rather than going to say Denver or Houston? 

Like he looked over his shoulder last season?