Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Time Is Now For Eagles To Shape Roster

452 posts in this topic

This is the week when the Eagles get down to the business of shaping the 90-man roster. There are going to be moves – additions, subtractions, and plans for the future. The weeks of speculation and creating scenarios are over, and with free agency here, the Eagles will wheel and deal and do what they need to do to improve the roster ...

View the full article

Just don't trade for FA's that need new contracts next season. Makes no sense if you are cash strapped.... My opinion

Although J Matt is our best WR, he is just a solid WR for most teams so do not expect allot in return for him in a trade. I would be shocked if they got a 4th round pick for him to be honest. Especially with the group of Wr's teams can draft...

Great summary article, Spadaro! Hope also that Pederson considers carefully his calling EVERY play, and what that causes deficiencies in minute-to-minute neglect in other critical areas. Why can't the offensive coordinator be more involved?

The cap went up 12 mil and we only have 8.5 mil of free space. If that doesn't sound loud ringing alarms to you then you just won't get my perspective. This team has to be reworked. You can't have a capped out team that isn't contending. Makes no sense. You have think bigger than just 'let's add talent in the draft.' That isn't getting it done. I'm sure it won't happen. Just take the safe approach and see if the second year coach can make the playoffs I'm sure is the plan. But it's wrong and many fans here are wrong thinking we just need a free agent or two and a strong draft. That's the situation in the whole league except: they all have more money available and many have a better foundation in place. I just want to be on the record here as "We need a big shakeup. The money has to be moved in different directions. We aren't on the precipice of contention."

The risks are that maybe you have to take a step back before you can move forward. Not the best situation for a second year coach. It could cost him his job. Lurie would have to be steadfast and stick by Pedey and Rosie for that matter as well. But the right thing to do for the franchise.

The cap went up 12 mil and we only have 8.5 mil of free space. If that doesn't sound loud ringing alarms to you then you just won't get my perspective. This team has to be reworked. You can't have a capped out team that isn't contending. Makes no sense. You have think bigger than just 'let's add talent in the draft.' That isn't getting it done. I'm sure it won't happen. Just take the safe approach and see if the second year coach can make the playoffs I'm sure is the plan. But it's wrong and many fans here are wrong thinking we just need a free agent or two and a strong draft. That's the situation in the whole league except: they all have more money available and many have a better foundation in place. I just want to be on the record here as "We need a big shakeup. The money has to be moved in different directions. We aren't on the precipice of contention."

How many games did we lose last year by single digit scores? How many games did we blow a lead? I don't think we are in need of a reconstruct.We started that process when we gave Chip the boot. 2 more solid drafts and off seasons and we should be taken seriously,so we disagree there.Spending money does not buy you glory,haven't we learned that by now??? Sure,if there is a hole you gotta plug it/improve it/But we need people who FIT,not the ones that cost the most

Also remember too we signed most key guys to long term contracts last year,which locked in a foundation that we really not need worry about this year.That means the money we spend we are free to soend on IMPROVEMENT not just keeping our base players here.Don't see RMat staying and DC has already gone through potential cuts that could give us over 30 mil cap

Were not that far off, I agree with GB.

1 person likes this

We're ***

Well, I agree with Ham. We cannot be foolish this off season. Maybe sign a few mid tier players that can help us for a year or two. We have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. make each one count. Hopefully they will get 3 starters out of them. We are not 1-2 players away. Do not let the 1- score losses fool you. We are miles away from Atlanta and New England. If you do not see that, I cannot help you.... Making the play-offs is not enough. We need a solid contender, therefore about 6-7 players away IMO...

Well, I agree with Ham. We cannot be foolish this off season. Maybe sign a few mid tier players that can help us for a year or two. We have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. make each one count. Hopefully they will get 3 starters out of them. We are not 1-2 players away. Do not let the 1- score losses fool you. We are miles away from Atlanta and New England. If you do not see that, I cannot help you.... Making the play-offs is not enough. We need a solid contender, therefore about 6-7 players away IMO...

Foolish to me would be going out and spending all our cap money on 1/2 players.Also we had a few nice prospects in the works who were put on reserve and we were never the same after we lost Lane.So,I will agree to disagree with you when we can see what potential those IR guys have(and can they stay healthy?) and how our last years draftees improve

I however feel JMatt is/will be a nice slot receiver and I still do not care for Agholor.IMO he is a waste of roster space,but worth zip in a trade(draft fail)

This league is full of average teams with 3 or 4 legit power houses. Sure, we could have made the play-offs last year and been knocked out of the first round had a few games gone our way. Personally I like the fact we have 3 picks in the first two rounds of this and next year's draft. Give Douglas a chance to see how well he does evaluating talent. I have to hope he does a solid job and we can draft starters with all of those picks and not blow it as we did in years past. People are talking that Cooks is the player we need to get over the hump. Great, let us trade away our future to grab a 1 year rental that we cannot afford to sign to a long term deal because we are Cap strapped. Oh and lose a 1st or 2nd round potential starter for 3-4 years on a rookie salary. Look at Dallas. Here they were real close last year. Now, they are going to lose 5-6 starters because they do not have the resources to sign them. I can see Dallas as being much worse this year because of it. We do not want to go that path.....

Get a legit WR like Davis and Jmatt will be a much better weapon to have.

3 people like this

This league is full of average teams with 3 or 4 legit power houses. Sure, we could have made the play-offs last year and been knocked out of the first round had a few games gone our way. Personally I like the fact we have 3 picks in the first two rounds of this and next year's draft. Give Douglas a chance to see how well he does evaluating talent. I have to hope he does a solid job and we can draft starters with all of those picks and not blow it as we did in years past. People are talking that Cooks is the player we need to get over the hump. Great, let us trade away our future to grab a 1 year rental that we cannot afford to sign to a long term deal because we are Cap strapped. Oh and lose a 1st or 2nd round potential starter for 3-4 years on a rookie salary. Look at Dallas. Here they were real close last year. Now, they are going to lose 5-6 starters because they do not have the resources to sign them. I can see Dallas as being much worse this year because of it. We do not want to go that path.....

No as of now we only have an extra 4th pick

Personally I would look more at Kenny Stills.He's young and can be signed to a more long term deal as a partial solution to our dilemma as a WR who can start right away.Would give Wentz an experienced weapon and a future one.Doing this and still signing Davis would certainly improve that area.This would not be "patchwork" but a solid corps for Wentz's development

CB Jourdan Lewis will be a steal. He locked down in college. If anything he will be a lock down slot corner in the NFL.

He can very easily play outside though as well.

Some team is going to horribly overpay for Gilmore, ask Buffalo fans how they feel about him.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The cap went up 12 mil and we only have 8.5 mil of free space.

New league year starts what in 3 days seem little premature to talk cap space right now.....We will free up some space in the days to come can bet on that....Sure Howie is trying to get some trades down with couple of our guys at least get something in return for them even if it is small.....As for Cooks again if you trade for him odds are you are going to lock him up on a long-term deal he is going to be 24 this year and is still younger then some of the WRs coming out in this draft class

1 hour ago, stine said:

ouglas a chance to see how well he does evaluating talent.

Giving Douglas a chance to evaluate talent isn't just in the draft though his job is also to evaluate current NFL players as well.....If he feels that a guy like Cooks is worth going after should mean something as well right.....Will look at other guys as well on the FA market who does Joe like who is on his short list of guys 

What else could be interesting is if the Eagles have been having talks about someone that none of us know about sure the media does a pretty good job getting there hands on some info but not everything....Could the Eagles possibly have some other deals in the works behind the scenes.....Already been stated a guy like Barwin still holds some value in the NFL, still believe Kendricks is worth something, Barbe has been giving permission to seek a trade(maybe not a ton of value but teams can always use a valuable 6th man on the OL), Chase Daniels, Jmatt 

Think this whole thing hinges on what we do at RB.You're gonna overpay top FA's,but other than Sproles,I don't know if we have the RB's here on this roster to cope,but feel we can't afford to keep Rmat around any longer.Thoughts anyone? Didn't really see enough of anyone else we have