Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MD Eagles Fan

Saints trading Brandin Cooks to Patriots for No. 32 pick

22 posts in this topic

Patriots have made some interesting and uncharacteristic moves this offseason.

Paying Gilmore all that money to go with Butler, who will need a new deal soon (wonder if we could get Rowe back ;)).  Then trading for Allen, Ealy and now Cooks.  Man they will be loaded on offense.  Gronk and Allen at TE.  Cooks, Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell, Hogan at WR with James White and Dion Lewis out of the backfield rushing and receiving.  Good luck trying to beat them in the AFC.  Not to mention if they trade Garoppolo they'll get more draft picks.

It's obvious they know they needed to get better.  They were down by 25 in the 3rd qtr of the SB and really should have lost.  They know they got away with one in that game and needed more weapons.

3 people like this

How lucky is Brandon Cooks? All he knows in the NFL is playing with HOF quarterbacks

1 person likes this

All I can say is... Damn!!! This just makes an incredible really really good team even better and that's bad news for the NFL.

Some uncharacteristic moves by NE this off season so far... But that just says to me that Bill Belichick is really wanting to squeeze everything out of the Brady era. He realizes that Brady is still playing lights out but that at some point he's going to decline and that he might not have that ready made replacement in Garrapolo when the time comes. He's going all out to get back to the Bowl again in the next couple of years and I personally just don't see anyone in the AFC stopping them... 

1 person likes this

Hard to believe Howie couldn't top that offer.  Price tag is about where I thought it would be.

36 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hard to believe Howie couldn't top that offer.  Price tag is about where I thought it would be.

our first is worth way more than what they paid, and for what? By next year we might have 25m$+ annually for our 2 starting WRs with Torrey smith on the bench. How many more players would we have to cut just to make room for that, while losing our first round pick. We're good there.

At the 32nd pick, they were going to be lucky to get anything out of that rookie this year, unless they lucked out. They know they don't have much Brady time left.

9 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

Patriots have made some interesting and uncharacteristic moves this offseason.

Paying Gilmore all that money to go with Butler, who will need a new deal soon (wonder if we could get Rowe back ;)).  Then trading for Allen, Ealy and now Cooks.  Man they will be loaded on offense.  Gronk and Allen at TE.  Cooks, Edelman, Amendola, Mitchell, Hogan at WR with James White and Dion Lewis out of the backfield rushing and receiving.  Good luck trying to beat them in the AFC.  Not to mention if they trade Garoppolo they'll get more draft picks.

It's obvious they know they needed to get better.  They were down by 25 in the 3rd qtr of the SB and really should have lost.  They know they got away with one in that game and needed more weapons.

I'd be shocked if they aren't still trying to shop Butler around. They won't lock up all that money into two players in two years. Butler can still fetch a pretty nice pick.

F the saints .... F the patriots  We should of got Cooks and Drafted Cook  ..... 2017  we would have been cooking the competition.  Any team that Helps the Pats get better should burn in hell .... Come the F on the 32 pick in draft FFS they could of taken a 2nd  and maybe a late round in 2018 as well  

1 hour ago, Boss Hawg said:

At the 32nd pick, they were going to be lucky to get anything out of that rookie this year, unless they lucked out. They know they don't have much Brady time left.

I hate to say it but Brady has shown no signs of his age. He was never mobile. He still has an arm and still a QB genius. He could probably play for 5 more years unless some accident injury happens

That is really weak trade IMO.

A second + third would have done it. Crazy

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I think he could have... I just don't think that he wanted to. He obviously thought giving up our first or giving up our second plus players was too great a price to pay. And instead he went out there and shocked us all by bringing in Jeffrey as well as Smith. And to tell the truth I have no problem with that. Jeffrey has every tool to be as good if not better for this team then Cooks (and I'm a big Cooks fan) and we didn't have to give up any picks to get him. That means we can go pretty much any way in the draft and that's great! 

Cooks is a legit star #1 WR

I doubt you can come up with many WR in NFL history with 1100+ yards and 8+ TDs in years 2 and 3.

It took JaCCpot 6 years to have 2 of those seasons. It took Antonio Brown and Julio Jones 5 years. Fitzgerald took 4 years.

FYI, OBJ did it in years 1 and 2.

I am not saying he is better than any of those guys (except DJ because 20+ WRs are better than he is)

I am saying that WRs are not usually that good that fast and trading him for a handful of beans is pretty pathetic.

2 hours ago, skippyx said:

Cooks is a legit star #1 WR

I doubt you can come up with many WR in NFL history with 1100+ yards and 8+ TDs in years 2 and 3.

It took JaCCpot 6 years to have 2 of those seasons. It took Antonio Brown and Julio Jones 5 years. Fitzgerald took 4 years.

FYI, OBJ did it in years 1 and 2.

I am not saying he is better than any of those guys (except DJ because 20+ WRs are better than he is)

I am saying that WRs are not usually that good that fast and trading him for a handful of beans is pretty pathetic.

I wonder if Cooks will buy into team concept though.  The Pats will spread it around to everyone especially if Gronk is back.  Edelman will get his targets.  Same with White and Lewis.  We also know Brady likes to get rid of the ball quick.  They will present a lot for opposing teams to cover but I don't think Cooks will get more than 1,000 yards, maybe not even.  Word is he was upset about lack of targets in New Orleans so he might get even less with NE.  I can see them using him for a year or 2 to help win a SB then get rid of him before they have to pay him.

9 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

I wonder if Cooks will buy into team concept though.  The Pats will spread it around to everyone especially if Gronk is back.  Edelman will get his targets.  Same with White and Lewis.  We also know Brady likes to get rid of the ball quick.  They will present a lot for opposing teams to cover but I don't think Cooks will get more than 1,000 yards, maybe not even.  Word is he was upset about lack of targets in New Orleans so he might get even less with NE.  I can see them using him for a year or 2 to help win a SB then get rid of him before they have to pay him.

him being so young and chance for ring Id say yes . because he will still be way under 30 to get another mega contract 

11 hours ago, RepPhilly said:

Yeah Cooks is probably not that happy about this.  I mean yes, he's got a great chance to get a ring but at 25 yrs old you're not THAT worried about that, you want your money first.  In Tenn or Philly he was a no doubt #1 getting a truckload of targets from a young franchise Qb and looking down the barrel of a big time extension.  With New England he's really just the deep threat of a spread around offense, maybe even gets less targets than he had in NO.  Plus he is likely just a short term piece to get Brady whatever rings he can get over 2-3 years, NOT the long term #1 he was in Tenn/Philly.

He is going to be on the national game about 10 times and he will have playoff exposure. He also goes from Brees to Brady which is not really a step down. I think he will be ok with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE doesn't extend him and just use this as a 2 year rental to try to get as much out of their time with Brady as possible.

On 12/03/2017 at 11:30 PM, gibsonplyer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if NE doesn't extend him and just use this as a 2 year rental to try to get as much out of their time with Brady as possible.

My thoughts exactly! I think they want to really maximise the Brady window and I think that's a window that could shut any year now. 

They've made some big big moves this year and I think they are planning for Garrapolo to be moved on so they can make some even bigger moves. This is a team that realises it has a couple of years left with arguably the best QB of all time to get back to the Bowl and more than that... Secure that 19-0 season! 

definitely against the grain of the way the pats normally go about thier bis. this tells me that brady is definitely on his way out and pretty soon like maybe 2 years from now and they wanna be sure they get as much out of this era as possible. i could see a scenerio in which belichick and brady retire together and i will say i will be damn happy to have seen the last of brady im so sick of him. cant deny bradys greatness but im just tired of him by now

1 hour ago, greenpassion said:

this tells me that brady is definitely on his way out and pretty soon like maybe 2 years from now and they wanna be sure they get as much out of this era as possible

I'm not sure they've put an actual window on it but yeah I think they could be looking at a few years at best so they want to maximise their chances of succeeding. It would certainly explain the acquisition of Cooks and of Gilmore plus the DE from Carolina. That means their first pick in the draft is now like 76 or something! 

yeah not like they would make it public but there is definitely a real sense of urgency going on here. not for nothing but it just seems very unnatural for a player even a qb to be playing so well this late into his career. im sure somebody is gonna start poking around into toms personal life. we already know he and coach will go to any extant to win. i think tom may be looking to get out sooner rather that later