Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] QB Nick Foles Returns To Eagles

21 posts in this topic

The author of one of the most memorable single-game as well as single-season performances in Eagles history, Nick Foles, is back where his career began. The two sides agreed to terms on a two-yea...

View the full article

I saw Matt Barkley get signed, and was thinking"Foles is a ton better, WHY?" well, I don't care why now, GREAT to have him back in Philly as a solid back up(More solid than Chase, if you ask me) He had a decent amount of success with the Eagles before Chip gutted the team. ( I literally was going to buy a #9, a #25, and #10 jersey before the start of the next season)

Welcome Back Nick !

2 people like this

Thrilled to have Nick back as a backup to Carson. Will Jason Kelsey and Chase Daniel move on to Kansas City for a mid round draft choice? Lots of Cap Room to be had with that Deal. And Kansas City needs a backup Center and QB. Match made in heaven? Stay tuned......

2 people like this

This came as a huge surprise to me. I didn't expect this...even though some of the sports analyst didn't rule out his returning when the Chiefs couldn't pick up his option year due to no resources to do so.

I too saw Matt Barkley was signed to SF, and wondered what they possibly saw in him, over Nick. Glad Nick didn't let the past with the Eagles get in the way of returning to the team.
He is a very solid back up.

3 people like this

Shaggy is back... didn't really warm up to Chase as much... Interesting...Eagles returning to the roost... I like it...my only question with Chase Daniels leaving town...How much money did we net. Any word on Benny's deal, solid player for us.

Nick Foles is a great pick-up. I've been suggesting reacquiring Foles as a back up QB on this forum for a year and a half now (repeatedly), not long after that lousy, clueless Rams organization benched him as their #1 starter. I think Foles makes an ideal #2! Maybe the best in the NFL. If Wentz goes down to injury, Foles definitely has the talent & skills to keep the Eagles winning and on track for the playoffs. He has proven that in the past. Foles is also a 'big game' player, who can definitely win a playoff game for us, if need be.

However, the bad news is that it doesn't look like we're going to save much more than 1 million on salary cap. As we're still going to owe Daniel a big chunk of change, yes? Ugh! I really hope there's a way around that. As I had thought the idea was to replace Daniel with Foles, and with the money saved in salary cap, acquire a 1st tier CB (or two), or a very good RB in FA, or pay the salaries of all 8 of our draft picks in 2017, etc.

Anyway, welcome back, Nick Foles! I'm super excited to see you back with the Eagles, where you belong!

6 people like this

The Philadelphia Eagles don't need QB Nick Foles . Nick Foles. people remember Foles can not get away from any pass rush. The Eagles need to draft a Rookie QB. If they want a back-up.Not Nick Foles, because. QB Foles likes to get sack to much.  So, why are we now going backwards. With Nick Foles. Kansas City got him out for a reason.

Well it a winning PR move. Dallas just reneged on their favorite son Tony Romo. Chase Daniels wants to start after following Pederson from KC. Our Cap is pretty tight sounds like we treated Chase with class. Nice PR considering players attraction with our young QB. People want to play here .

Philly. Com. Roseman OLine obsession.

There's no denying that the Eagles, under Roseman, spend a lot more time and money on the offensive line than not only Chip Kelly during his brief tenure as head personnel man, but also most of the NFL. The Eagles, for example, are the only team in the NFL that has four of its five starting linemen among the top 10 paid at their position. According to the contract website sportrac.com, Lane Johnson is first among right tackles, Jason Peters is sixth among left tackles, Kelce is eighth among centers, and Brandon Brooks is 10th among all guards.

The website also lists the Eagles as spending a league-high $43.7 million on its 16 offensive linemen. Apparently the memo that Hart has moved to offense has not reached the site yet. Regardless, the Eagles' total is $5.2 million more than the next highest team, the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Eagles are one of only three teams to spend more than 25 percent of their salary-cap total on the offensive line.

I would say Carson and Shaggy will be in good hands.

2 people like this

Rumors Bennie may be signing in Chicago... like Bennie as an Eagle.

The Philadelphia Eagles don't need QB Nick Foles . Nick Foles. people remember Foles can not get away from any pass rush. The Eagles need to draft a Rookie QB. If they want a back-up.Not Nick Foles, because. QB Foles likes to get sack to much.  So, why are we now going backwards. With Nick Foles. Kansas City got him out for a reason.

That reason is salary cap. I'm actually surprised KC didn't try to keep Foles and get rid of Smith. At least Foles has a good enough arm to complete a pass downfield or outside the hashmarks.

Like this signing, I think Foles is a good QB, Love his size he can see over the OL and servey the field. he will do great here, he knows most of the players especially the OL, makes a difference. Welcome back, and best of luck.

Should A Super Bowl Be Played In Philadelphia?

3 people like this

It's a definite upgrade over Daniels but a little bit of an overpay for a #2 QB. Not nearly as bad a contract as the one they gave Daniel. At least Foles has some experience and had some success in the NFL.

Thrilled to have Nick back as a backup to Carson. Will Jason Kelsey and Chase Daniel move on to Kansas City for a mid round draft choice? Lots of Cap Room to be had with that Deal. And Kansas City needs a backup Center and QB. Match made in heaven? Stay tuned......

I think KC is in worse shape than us as far as cap room.

15 minutes ago, rohash said:

Chase has already been released 

Rumors Bennie may be signing in Chicago... like Bennie as an Eagle.

Hes already signed with Chiefs

1 person likes this

Did you even read the article?about the foles I remember... I was mad when they traded him. 14-4 in his last 2 yrs as a starter in philly. the only place he really struggled was with the Rams, and they continue their struggles. Foles is a far cry better than Daniel, and cheaper. He makes a great back up, in a system that is fairly familiar.

"Foles served as the backup to Alex Smith. In three games (one start) with the Chiefs, Foles was 36-of-55 for 410 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions, and a 105.9 passer rating."
so KC was a little foolish to just let him go if you ask me... that sounds like a pretty effective back up QB.

5 people like this

19 hours ago, mister turtle said:

They were dead last among all teams with cap space. One report I saw had them with 3 mil and another even less with under a Mil . How they are signing Logan when they didn't have the cap room to pick up Nicks option of 6 mil I am not sure. Unless they were unable to retain Poe. So settled on Logan as a cheaper replacement.

21 hours ago, yearsofbelief said:

"he likes to get sacked too much"?

His sacks were up when he was getting no protection...as every QB's are when they aren't protected.

The Eagles O line in 2014 was in disarray. No Johnson, no Evan Mathis, Kelce also out , Herremans playing hurt . Jason not playing up to his usual standards due to the lack of experience from the guys replacing those two. A 180 degree turn from the protection of 2013 when all five starters on the O took every snap!
Which enabled Nick to play well .

It's no surprise than to anyone who really pays attention and understands what is happening that his sacks were up in 2014.As were his INT's also due to not having Jackson and McCoy any longer. Two of his key Offensive players.

With the Rams, they had one guy on their O line that wasn't a first year rookie. Kind of hard to get protected under those conditions, wouldn't you agree? And no one outside of Austin to throw to.

Like it or not Foles is now back with the team that drafted him and is a proven experienced QB who gives the Eagles a better chance of not losing a season if ( and we ALL hope that doesn't happen) should Carson go down.

5 people like this

Nick Foles is a great pick-up. I've been suggesting reacquiring Foles as a back up QB on this forum for a year and a half now (repeatedly), not long after that lousy, clueless Rams organization benched him as their #1 starter. I think Foles makes an ideal #2! Maybe the best in the NFL. If Wentz goes down to injury, Foles definitely has the talent & skills to keep the Eagles winning and on track for the playoffs. He has proven that in the past. Foles is also a 'big game' player, who can definitely win a playoff game for us, if need be.

However, the bad news is that it doesn't look like we're going to save much more than 1 million on salary cap. As we're still going to owe Daniel a big chunk of change, yes? Ugh! I really hope there's a way around that. As I had thought the idea was to replace Daniel with Foles, and with the money saved in salary cap, acquire a 1st tier CB (or two), or a very good RB in FA, or pay the salaries of all 8 of our draft picks in 2017, etc.

Anyway, welcome back, Nick Foles! I'm super excited to see you back with the Eagles, where you belong!

From some of the reports I read they were seeking a trade for him but nothing come of their effort.
He doesn't have enough game day experience to take a chance on as a starter ( which would mean mega bucks). As a back up ( which he refuses to settle on being) his contract was too expensive for that role.

So he is between a rock and a hard place. Not seen as a viable starter and not wanting to be a back up.

I think he was still bitter over Carson being given the starting role once they traded Bradford. Now they bring in Foles to be Carson's back up. That had to smart I would think given his personality.

Nick at least has accepted that he may never be a starter again. But Nick is the ultimate team player. Where Daniel doesn't seem to be for anyone but himself.

Having Foles as a back up is a decent thing. Nothing to hoot & holler about. I never understood why he was so overrated the way he was. I love being an Eagle fan, and repeat the defense that we're one of the smarter if not smartest fan bases in the nation, but that theory often gets put to test by a lot of the nonsense thats a long the lines of Foles as being touted as something great. He's an ideal 2. A.J Feeley for a few games. A Detmer. He'll never be a 1. The only person I heard banging the table on this fact besides myself is Mike Miss. Its like people somehow blinded theirselves for some fetish with Napoleon Dynamite. In Reid's last year when he started in place of an injured Vick he pulled in inflated stats. Inflated because every DB seemed to have stone hands, and dropped a scores of interceptions thrown by him. It was almost like they didn't expect the ball to come to them so easily. The following year both he and Vick benefitted from the gimmicky offense that the league hadn't yet caught up with. Before Vick's injury the Eagles had either the #1 offense in the league, or #2 behind Denver (Can't fully remember). Foles picked up where he left off. Even then in the 27-2 year that at this point should be copyrighted because of the amount of times its repeated, Foles threw a lot of picks that were dropped. The following year they'd caught up to Chip Kelly as well as Foles, and he went 6-2 IN SPITE of his horrid play. The defense and special teams were winning those games. I'm gonna all but jump off a roof if I hear one bozo suggest Foles starts if Wentz has a bad couple of games. Please, please, please I beggeth of you people: Don't make me get 302'd.

Having Foles as a back up is a decent thing. Nothing to hoot & holler about. I never understood why he was so overrated the way he was. I love being an Eagle fan, and repeat the defense that we're one of the smarter if not smartest fan bases in the nation, but that theory often gets put to test by a lot of the nonsense thats a long the lines of Foles as being touted as something great. He's an ideal 2. A.J Feeley for a few games. A Detmer. He'll never be a 1. The only person I heard banging the table on this fact besides myself is Mike Miss. Its like people somehow blinded theirselves for some fetish with Napoleon Dynamite. In Reid's last year when he started in place of an injured Vick he pulled in inflated stats. Inflated because every DB seemed to have stone hands, and dropped a scores of interceptions thrown by him. It was almost like they didn't expect the ball to come to them so easily. The following year both he and Vick benefitted from the gimmicky offense that the league hadn't yet caught up with. Before Vick's injury the Eagles had either the #1 offense in the league, or #2 behind Denver (Can't fully remember). Foles picked up where he left off. Even then in the 27-2 year that at this point should be copyrighted because of the amount of times its repeated, Foles threw a lot of picks that were dropped. The following year they'd caught up to Chip Kelly as well as Foles, and he went 6-2 IN SPITE of his horrid play. The defense and special teams were winning those games. I'm gonna all but jump off a roof if I hear one bozo suggest Foles starts if Wentz has a bad couple of games. Please, please, please I beggeth of you people: Don't make me get 302'd.

Let's see: Carson Wentz had a QB rating of 79.3 last year. We traded Sam Bradford to Minnesota (a team with no running attack and a worse OL than the Eagles) and he had a QB rating of 99.3. Nick Foles came off the bench and played three games, won all three and had a QB rating of 105.9. Clearly the Eagles Mgt and Fans have a weak understanding of talent.

1 person likes this