Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] What About The Defense In Offseason?

147 posts in this topic

You have watched the Eagles add to the offense in the first phase of the offseason, signing receivers Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith, bringing guard Chance Warmack on board and retaining guard/center Stefen Wisniewski. And the natural question, now that you are of course looking forward: What about the defense? ...

View the full article

Going to have to answer that in the draft at this point.

We know we need two starting CBs as I dont think Mills is a answer to one of the starting outside CBs. 

If we could land a stud DE to be opposite Graham, that should take some serious pressure off the CBs.

1 person likes this

I we could land a stud DE to be opposite Graham, that should take some serious pressure off the CBs.

Move back to pick 25(trade Houston firsts and pick up their 2nd and 4th) If not then take 1)White(CB)2)Conley(CB) 3)Basham(DE) 4) Kpassagonon(DE), but that extra 2nd and 4th would go a long way to fixing this team up

25 minutes ago, rlubrich87 said:

I we could land a stud DE to be opposite Graham, that should take some serious pressure off the CBs.

Move back to pick 25(trade Houston firsts and pick up their 2nd and 4th) If not then take 1)White(CB)2)Conley(CB) 3)Basham(DE) 4) Kpassagonon(DE), but that extra 2nd and 4th would go a long way to fixing this team up

Oh and White would probably be there at 25

Not only the players on D needs to be improved i think Schwartz needs to improve too.

4 people like this

Not only the players on D needs to be improved i think Schwartz needs to improve too.

Needs to get quality players in here,not hand me downs and cheap FA's lol

YES... YES.... YES! The magical 4-3 means nothing ... players and coaches calling the right stuff. Stubbornness not to blitz and having good defenses due to stud front 4s does not make you a great DC. I'm not convinced he is the guy, but think a big part of it was just getting someone with experience so that first time HC Pederson could focus 100% on offense. We are past that now, so show me what you got Jimmy!

2 people like this

Need to go CB early and often in the draft. Trading down in the 1st and netting some extra picks seems like a possible scenario. This draft is deep in several positions which are needs. The drop off in talent between mid-1st and 2nd round isn't much. Some teams may want go move up to get the QB they like(Houston was already mentioned).

Regarding Schwartz - absolutely! We can only hope he learns how to compromise (with his less than stellar DL, especially in pass rush) with some creative and wide ranging LB play. I may be crazy, but with improved and creative front seven play, the secondary will be OK.

From everything I am reading this is a perfect draft to go BPA all the way. Needs at DE,DT, LB & CB on defense ... needs at RB, WR on offense with OL or TE getting youth as not a bad option. Seems everything could be BPA at 14 except OL. If the stud TE is there I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him either. Seems like CB, WR and RB could easily be BPA later on in the draft. I can't see us passing on needs if we stick to BPA, I think they will naturally get taken care of, I would rather not pass on the best players this year.

3 people like this

Lets have a Ravens style draft!

Need to go CB early and often in the draft. Trading down in the 1st and netting some extra picks seems like a possible scenario. This draft is deep in several positions which are needs. The drop off in talent between mid-1st and 2nd round isn't much. Some teams may want go move up to get the QB they like(Houston was already mentioned).

Yeah,if we go to 25 get Houstons 2nd and 4th then we could do CB,CB,CB,DE,DE and be pretty well set on D going ahead.Like CB's White,Conley and King/Wilson as our first 3 would really solidify that spot.even in the event 1 doesn't pan out,we still would have a nice bevy of CB's in the stable.Doubling up on DE's such as basham and Kpassagnon would sleo help the newly acquired CB's and in time give us the Philly pass rush we seems to be missing-JMO

27 minutes ago, rohash said:

Yeah,if we go to 25 get Houstons 2nd and 4th then we could do CB,CB,CB,DE,DE and be pretty well set on D going ahead.Like CB's White,Conley and King/Wilson as our first 3 would really solidify that spot.even in the event 1 doesn't pan out,we still would have a nice bevy of CB's in the stable.Doubling up on DE's such as basham and Kpassagnon would sleo help the newly acquired CB's and in time give us the Philly pass rush we seems to be missing-JMO

*also

27 minutes ago, rohash said:

Doing this would still allow for 1 more pick in round 4 and there are still quality players around in that round and use the rest for depth where we are thin.Just a plan I had lol(whether they do it is something else entirely)

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  30 minutes ago, rohash said:

Doing this would still allow for 1 more pick in round 4 and there are still quality players around in that round and use the rest for depth where we are thin.Just a plan I had lol(whether they do it is something else entirely)

Actually my bad we'd still have TWO round 4 picks

Happy St.Pattys Day to all

1 person likes this

Could you image Fournette in the backfield with Wentz would be a thing of beauty....Would be willing to go out and make a BOLD(all caps) prediction say Eagles have a top 5 O next year......Dont consider Fournette though since dont see him falling to the Eagles and dont see it as worth it to move up for him....

Think I am in agreement with most of the site Eagles need Cb and DL help......Thinking first 3 rounds should go all D 2 CBs and a DL.....Ideally would love to land that elite edge rusher to pair with Cox/Graham would take our DL to the next level....As for CB yes want the shut down #1 guy every team does hard to find I will just be happy with a good #1. One of my favorite CBs was Johnathan Joseph for the texans(older now I know) but thought when he was first signed that he was a good CB that could guard the best WRs even if he was never considered a shutdown CB give me a guy like him would be happy  

Brandon Lee Gowton

The Eagles Shouldn’t Take a Corner at 14 - Philly Football Talk
To me, none of these corners are good enough to be picked at 14. Quincy Wilson is allergic to being aggressive, Marlon Humphrey has all the physical tools but lacks ball skills, Teez Tabor just ran a 4.63 40 and I’ve even seen some Gareon Conley love… Come on guys. None of them should be picked at 14. Just because this is a deep corner draft doesn’t mean you take the 3rd or 4th best corner at 14. A deep corner draft means that you can find starting corners all over this class and if it’s the second round and Adoree Jackson or Tre’Davious White are there than I think that’s much better value than, insert name above, at 14. I would love to walk out of this draft with let’s say, Corey Davis, Rueben Foster, Jonathan Allen, Carl Lawson, Derek Barnett or John Ross at 14 and then corner in the 2nd and 3rd rounds before taking Sidney Jones in the 4th and another running back in the 4th.

1 person likes this

Brandon Lee Gowton

4 reasons why the Eagles should draft Dalvin Cook - EaglesWire
Cook is a home run threat. He can break off a long run to the end zone at any point in the game. Doug Pederson has made it clear that he prefers to throw the ball which means running backs will have limited carries. Unlike a lot of running backs, he doesn’t need to carry the ball 20 – 25 times to be effective. Many bigger running backs thrive on wearing a team down, in essence killing a team by 1,000 papercuts.

Anthony DiBona

The Eagles have a bit of a shaky situation at linebacker. Nigel Bradham looked solid this past season but only has one year remaining on his contract. Then there’s Mychal Kendricks, who is likely to be traded or released before the season.

Therefore, the Eagles could certainly use some help at the position, and LB Gerald Hodges quietly had an impressive season in 2016. In 15 games for the San Francisco 49ers, Hodges totaled 83 tackles, three sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble. Signing the 26-year-old New Jersey native and Penn State alum would be a great move with a ton of upside.

Anthony DiBona

Cornerback is viewed as the Eagles’ biggest need at this point. While the draft is full of talented prospects at the position, Philadelphia still needs to add a veteran. Nickell Robey-Coleman is just 25 years old and has experience in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz’s scheme during his time in 2014 with the Buffalo Bills.

Robey-Coleman would start immediately in the slot for the Eagles, adding much-needed experience at a crucial spot. Although he’s small in stature, he makes up for it with his competitive edge that would fit perfectly in Philadelphia’s secondary.

500 people-500 opinions

1 person likes this