Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] What About The Defense In Offseason?

147 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, stine said:
  15 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  15 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  15 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  15 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  16 hours ago, downwithdallas said:
  17 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

ok so there are ZERO players they need to improve on? Must be nice!

Didn't say that. But right now they don't have a starting QB I expect them to take the best QB available at 25 not a late round guy to groom.

So they wouldnt trade up to 14 to get a better QB?

Can we just stay where we are at 14 take BPA or move up?? Why do we want to trade back for?? lol

To get more picks in a DEEP draft(other than Oline)

Its deep but that doesnt change the fact we could be passing on a top 2 at a position. Maybe even the top of the position.

Well, it does not seem to bother NE or GB who never pick in the top 20. It is a matter of grading the talent. If done right, we will not make any M Smith picks. We will do fine. It is when we pick a 3rd or 4th round talent in the first that screws us up.

Nice you name 2 teams with HOF QBs lol Those teams are already SB champs with their current QBs. Are we Stine?? Come on at least choose a team more of a comparison

Well, I am an optimist. I feel we just may have a HOF QB also. Of Course, it is a huge leap of faith. Point is, these teams never pick in the top 25. Baltimore only had 3 first round picks in the top 20 from the last 10 drafts....

Cincinnati has had no draft picks in the top 20 past 4 drafts. But they were in the play-off hunt each year.... Look, most teams get one or two drafts with a pick lower than 20 over a 5-10 year span. Point is I named a couple who never seem to have an issue because they draft well and sign the right players in free agency. That is how they can compete each year. Granted, they have a HOF QB, but they still need other players. Last I looked at least 22 are needed.....

1 person likes this

Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton are most likely HOF QB's they have not won a SB yet...... They need other players to do so. Phillip Rivers is a HOF QB IMO but has nothing to show for it. Reason is their drafts have not been good enough, for the most part. Coaching not too great either...

Stine, I understand that you don't want a running back in the first round but I was wondering why you said especially not Cook. Can you elaborate a little on your reasoning.

Cook has a few off the field issues. Cruelty to animals, Domestic Violence and a BB gun incident. Not sure if the Domestic is true or not, but he just seems to be involved in allot of issues that I do not want on my team. Especially in the first round. Same with Joe Mixon. Also, Cook fumbles the ball allot. Everyone keeps telling me that is correctable, yet he still does it allot in college. Just not what I want as a first round choice, at all!

There are some mocks out there where Cook is not listed in round 1, most others do not have Cook going before 19 or 20 now and I feel many of those will not have him in round one come May. Just my opinion, along with many others....

Didn't Cook have 3 shoulder operations and that's affecting his ability to carry the ball? Seriously, read up on McCaffery. His great hands are one thing, but the way he sees the field is way above what most have the ability to do. He'll be moving up the board even more, don't think we'd be able to drop back much - if at all - to get him if they're going RB/slot receiver.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, stine said:

Wrang, You are entitled to your opinions and I understand your stance. However, you also have to realize that these CB's are far and above last year's class. For example, Eli Apple would not have been chosen before the 3rd round had he been in this draft, yet he was taken by the Giants in the first last year. He should turn out OK, but he was no Humphrey. Not even close to the Ball Skills.... So my opinion is that there are 4-5 CB's I would take in round 1, all much better than anyone taken last year. Of course Sidney Jones getting hurt did not help... I also do not want a RB in round one, Especially Cook. Again my opinion. neither of our opinions are probably correct though lol

Yeah opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. LOL If Sydney Jones wasn't hurt, I would have dropped OT Ramczyk from my top ten list and inserted him. I feel sorry for the kid. Yes I know that we need CB's but when I stack them up to other position players in the draft at pick 14, I don't see the higher value in them over the other position players. Before Jones got hurt, I had two CB's rated at good value at pick 14. One was Jones and the other was Lattimore. Now I only have one remaining. I just don't believe in reaching for the 3rd or 4th best CB in the draft at pick 14 when you could have the best player in another position if that person is available to draft.

Wrang,also though you gotta look at which way the arrow is pointing.A guy like Moreau amy not be a 14 pick in your view,but the kid just keeps improving.So where will he be with tutelage in 4 -5 months? You can't just view these guys and assume they are standing still.JMO

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, stine said:

Wrang, You are entitled to your opinions and I understand your stance. However, you also have to realize that these CB's are far and above last year's class. For example, Eli Apple would not have been chosen before the 3rd round had he been in this draft, yet he was taken by the Giants in the first last year. He should turn out OK, but he was no Humphrey. Not even close to the Ball Skills.... So my opinion is that there are 4-5 CB's I would take in round 1, all much better than anyone taken last year. Of course Sidney Jones getting hurt did not help... I also do not want a RB in round one, Especially Cook. Again my opinion. neither of our opinions are probably correct though lol

Yeah opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. LOL If Sydney Jones wasn't hurt, I would have dropped OT Ramczyk from my top ten list and inserted him. I feel sorry for the kid. Yes I know that we need CB's but when I stack them up to other position players in the draft at pick 14, I don't see the higher value in them over the other position players. Before Jones got hurt, I had two CB's rated at good value at pick 14. One was Jones and the other was Lattimore. Now I only have one remaining. I just don't believe in reaching for the 3rd or 4th best CB in the draft at pick 14 when you could have the best player in another position if that person is available to draft.

Wrang,also though you gotta look at which way the arrow is pointing.A guy like Moreau amy not be a 14 pick in your view,but the kid just keeps improving.So where will he be with tutelage in 4 -5 months? You can't just view these guys and assume they are standing still.JMO

*may

Cook has a few off the field issues. Cruelty to animals, Domestic Violence and a BB gun incident. Not sure if the Domestic is true or not, but he just seems to be involved in allot of issues that I do not want on my team. Especially in the first round. Same with Joe Mixon. Also, Cook fumbles the ball allot. Everyone keeps telling me that is correctable, yet he still does it allot in college. Just not what I want as a first round choice, at all!

From what I understand Cook does not have anything hanging over his head at the present time as far as legal issues. I don't kid myself anymore about having a bunch of choir boys on our team. The Eagles drafted RB Wendell Smallwood previously arrested for witness intimidation in a murder case. They drafted Jalen Mills previously arrested for second degree battery for punching a woman. Also Alex McCalister suspended twice and kicked off his college team. They also traded for DGB who was previously arrested twice for drugs and eventually kicked off his college team. They also kept Nigel Bradham on the team after he was arrested two times last year in Miami. I certainly wish things were different and none of the players on the team had a past but that is not a reality on our team. All you can do as a GM is try to make sure the past stays in the past before you take a guy.

1 person likes this

Didn't Cook have 3 shoulder operations and that's affecting his ability to carry the ball? Seriously, read up on McCaffery. His great hands are one thing, but the way he sees the field is way above what most have the ability to do. He'll be moving up the board even more, don't think we'd be able to drop back much - if at all - to get him if they're going RB/slot receiver.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm in the Fournette camp(if we go that way).Guys like a freight train,you know he's coming,GL stopping him lol

Well, if the Eagles do decide to go RB in round 1, I much prefer they trade back and get a extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and maybe go after Christian McCaffrey or even Fournette if both are still on the board at 14. Just my opinion. Look, I agree that the Eagles have players with questionable off the field issues. I just prefer they do not add another from their first round pick....

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, Cook had three shoulder operations and they are healed. If you play football long enough you are going to have injuries. His three shoulder operations didn't seem to bother him when he rushed for 150 yards against Michigan in the last bowl game he played. Michigan had the second best defense in the country last year. I also like McCaffery. Just not at pick 14. I see him in the lower first round with Peppers. JMO

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

*may

How is he improving if he is not playing GB? I don't understand. I understand that a guy can improve from his junior to senior seasons but they are not playing now. Are the experts taking second, third and fourth looks at the guy and constantly changing their minds?

34 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

*may

How is he improving if he is not playing GB? I don't understand. I understand that a guy can improve from his junior to senior seasons but they are not playing now. Are the experts taking second, third and fourth looks at the guy and constantly changing their minds?

Moreau started out as a round 6 pick,so he must have been doing something

He meant improving by where he stands on the board. Players are constantly moving up or down draft boards until May. You may say his shoulder injuries are healed, but we all know once anything gets operated on, it is more prone to getting re-injured. Not a good sign IMO....

34 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

*may

Even though they are not playing,they can do things,learn better tackling techniques,how to flip your hips,running quicker 40's,showing maturity etc,so I'm sure teams start with "we like these 10 guys" and hone them down as they do more research and learn what they are doing in the interim time to learn their craft

Still wondering if the Eagles find a way to sign Hankins at DT.....Bennie is gone only got like 8m and Hankins is still on the market so could come fairly cheap and he is only 25 and believe he would fit nicely next to Cox 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:
  38 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  38 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

*may

Moreau started out as a round 6 pick,so he must have been doing something

When did he start out as a 6 round pick? Was it at the beginning of his senior year? Sounds like the so called experts can't seem to make up their minds. I sure hope Joe Douglas isn't like that.

Just an interesting thing I read on Cook they I have read a few articles now saying that Cook could slip into the 2nd round......Also I know there is no love for Joe Mixon on here but they are saying his stock has risen greatly as well saying he could go late 1st rounder or early 2nd.....If Philly wanted a 1st round RB I say go all in get Fournette if not him I'd rather wait but that is JMO 

He meant improving by where he stands on the board. Players are constantly moving up or down draft boards until May. You may say his shoulder injuries are healed, but we all know once anything gets operated on, it is more prone to getting re-injured. Not a good sign IMO....

Lets say for argument sake that Fournette has never been injured. I don't know if that is true. If he has played Pop Warner, High School, and College ball and has never been injured, that would be amazing in itself but what are his chances of not being injured in the NFL the way he runs the ball? His running style (trying to run over everyone he comes in contact with) does not translate to staying healthy at the next level in my opinion. I see concussions in his future. Just ask Earl Campbell. In today's game you sit out with concussions and rightfully so. Earl continued to play after sustaining them.

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

When did he start out as a 6 round pick? Was it at the beginning of his senior year? Sounds like the so called experts can't seem to make up their minds. I sure hope Joe Douglas isn't like that.

Rankings sites that we fans like to use are only loose guidelines everyone ranks players differently.....I have seen Cook as the best RB in the class while others say Fournette, Lattimore as the best I have seen some say Humphrey seen a few say Wilson(CBS has Wilson as a 2nd rounder) if you like NFL.com analyst they have White as the 2nd best.....Ultimately though only takes one team to love a player and take him higher then projected as well MS2 2nd/3rd rounder we took 26th overall.... Randall(GB) was suppose to be a 2nd rounder went in round 1....

32 minutes ago, stine said:

Lets say for argument sake that Fournette has never been injured. I don't know if that is true. If he has played Pop Warner, High School, and College ball and has never been injured, that would be amazing in itself but what are his chances of not being injured in the NFL the way he runs the ball? His running style (trying to run over everyone he comes in contact with) does not translate to staying healthy at the next level in my opinion. I see concussions in his future. Just ask Earl Campbell. In today's game you sit out with concussions and rightfully so. Earl continued to play after sustaining them.

You have just written another reason RB's are rarely chosen in the first round. Their shelf life is much less than other positions. So, if you had the choice of grabbing a top 2 or 3 talent of a CB or a OT vs. Top 1-2 RB in the first round, who would you rather grab? Someone that most likely last 4-5 years or another that will be there 10?

Stine,
LeSean McCoy was on the cover of Parade Magazine when he was listed as the number one high school player in the country. He didn't even want to talk to Penn State or Pitt when they were trying to recruit him in high school because he wanted to go to USC and play for Pete Carroll. He then broke his right leg so severely that college teams thought he could never come back the whole way and they dropped him like a hot potato. Dave Wannstedt from Pitt took a chance on him and the rest was history.His previous injury never affected his college or Pro career. I don't believe a couple shoulder surgeries are going to keep Cook down. He has played a lot since his last surgery with no ill effects.

OK, So other than Elliott, who has had great success drafted in the first round since AP? you cannot think of too many can you? Maybe this is the reason RB's are not drafted in round 1 too much anymore....
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2025585-have-we-seen-the-last-of-the-first-round-running-back-in-the-nfl-draft