Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
McNabbIsGone

Giants Taking Geno Smith For 'Test Drive' ?

15 posts in this topic

He's done in Jet-ville. Coming off major knee surgery. Could just be a camp body but the Giants are curious to see if he's left all his woe behind him and is ready to move on. Can't think of a more stable situation for Smith to latch onto this close to home. Good luck to him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793704/article/giants-expected-to-sign-geno-smith-pending-physical

I'm sure he's going to be made to compete for the backup position, but having a backup with some real game experience isn't the worst thing in the world, I suppose.

1 person likes this

He's probably an upgrade over Nassib, so should be a good move for them.

2 hours ago, cowboy_ron said:

as long as he does not owe teammates money and keep his mouth shut  

5 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

I'm sure he's going to be made to compete for the backup position, but having a backup with some real game experience isn't the worst thing in the world, I suppose.

That's how I look at the Foles deal. He has plenty of experience on the field, including a playoff game. He's had some success playing, and while he may not be the type of QB to elevate a struggling team, I don't think he's going to bring down a team playing well if he needs to come in for a few games. He's also not likely to rock the boat with knowing his role.

Eli never gets hurt anyway. The Giants could go without a backup and be okay.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Eli never gets hurt anyway. The Giants could go without a backup and be okay.

Age catches up to us all .  Up until 2 years ago I had a six pack that just beer curls and pizza kept strong .  as soon as I hit 35 it was not so easy ..... I was pretty active guy .  Lacross , football , baseball  and had scholarship for wrestling ..... but instead was a moron and went into the Marines .    From that life  I feel the effect  daily  that asprine dont always do the trick 

1 hour ago, NE.Jon said:

Age catches up to us all .  Up until 2 years ago I had a six pack that just beer curls and pizza kept strong .  as soon as I hit 35 it was not so easy ..... I was pretty active guy .  Lacross , football , baseball  and had scholarship for wrestling ..... but instead was a moron and went into the Marines .    From that life  I feel the effect  daily  that asprine dont always do the trick 

You opted to serve your country instead of yourself. I wouldn't call that moronic.

Thank you for your service.:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

You opted to serve your country instead of yourself. I wouldn't call that moronic.

Thank you for your service.:thumbsup:

THe part that was stupid was I should of went to school first then the Marines.  Marines is and will always be one of the best things in my life .  Thank you for your support of Vets and troops :D

1 person likes this

Well they signed John Johnson to a 2-year deal to serve as the backup, so Geno is either camp fodder, an emergency QB or plays we'll enough in the pre-season to elevate to backup status. Not much risk in bringing him to camp. 

On 3/19/2017 at 9:41 AM, cowboy_ron said:

No if Gino can't stick with the Jets that is huge red flag. Nassib made the team every year and the Giants felt comfortable with him as a back up. I liked him coming out of Syracuse

7 minutes ago, C Simmons 96 said:

No if Gino can't stick with the Jets that is huge red flag. Nassib made the team every year and the Giants felt comfortable with him as a back up. I liked him coming out of Syracuse

Nassib is a bum. He never looked anything better than average in preseason and even got deactivated towards the end of the season.

I liked him coming out of Syracuse too. He was probably my favorite QB of that draft but he's nothing more than a low end back up

Decent backup option if Eli does get hurt. I don't think the Giants think he could become a 5-7yr starter if Eli retites in 3yrs or so.

Look for the Giants to pick a QB in round 3 or later IMO to possibly groom him until Eli retires or released

Ha, Geno is camp fodder unless he completely blows people away. Only $100K of his $750K salary is guaranteed. 

All aboard the Genocoaster...