Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Lawlor: Eagles Mock Draft Version 1.0

31 posts in this topic

The NFL Draft is about a month away. The Eagles have made their major moves in free agency, so we have a feel for what holes are left on the roster and where the team could use an upgrade in talen...

View the full article

If this is anywhere close to the truth... Then yikes! 

Sure adding Hunt and of course Ross is giving Wentz weapons. 

But Sutton and Douglas as the added corners? Given the state of our roster right now? Umm no thanks. 

Do like the pick up of Willis in the second though and I know the Eagles FO are meant to be pretty high on him. 

I don't have an issue with Ross.  At least he has actual mind-blowing talent, and getting someone with that sort of ability where they're picking would be worth the gamble.  In short, I'd rather have a guy like him than some pedestrian SEC cornerback whose equivalent could be found later in the draft.  And yes, I'm talking about YOU, Teez Tabor.

Just draft the best athletes (within reason) at each slot and I'll be happy.  Ability first, so-called "character" second because doing it the "team first" way hasn't worked.

Replace the 1st pick with one of the top CB's and this would be a great draft. I would consider Davis or Williams at #14, not Ross. I like him but he's small and injury prone and a 1 year wonder in college - and his numbers from last year really aren't that impressive. Great speed though. Always liked Hunt. Tremendous burst and vision, I think he'd be a great addition to the backfield but I wonder how worn down he is from carrying the load at Toledo the last 4 years.

1 person likes this

I know this is a deep draft for CB's but waiting until the 3rd round to address the position when we need 2 of them seems a little absurd to me. We should be looking to get the best CB's possible. If it was me, 2 of the 1st 3 picks would be CB's. I would also consider trading down in the 1st and adding another 2nd or 3rd depending on who's still on the board at 14. We have a lot of needs on defense so adding another early round pick would help. The offense has been addressed nicely in FA. We lost 4 starters from a so-so defense and added nobody in FA. If we don't add a whole lot of talent to the defense in this draft, we aren't gonna win much this season. Simple as that.

4 people like this

No TE?

Great draft for TE's but with Ertz, Celek and Burton, I think we are in pretty good shape. I think we wait until Celek retires to add another TE.

I tend to agree with TL a lot and favorite writer on this site, but do not agree with taking Ross at #1. Way too risky despite his crazy speed...he'll be a draft bust because he will only avg no more than 10 games a season due to injury. You may argue 10 games a season can make a big difference, if he's blazing down the field and catching the ball, but there are many talented guys in this draft class who could make a deeper impact on this team's success starting in Sept. 2017. I like taking a top WR or RB at #1 or #2 if somehow one of the best in the crop are still there at either #1 or #2, but I'd be very happy to see 2 defensive players taken at #1 and #2. A RB like Hunt or Mixon could still be there at #3.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see the FO make a trade with someone like Cleveland to drop back in Rd 1 and pick up another pick in an earlier round...they are stacked with #1 picks this season and we've been making deals with them with success. Someone who made the playoffs or SB last season may also be willing to swap #1 spots and be generous with offering an earlier round pick for the Eagles.

Very excited for this draft! Hoping for another FA pickup or 2 to help the D before the best options left are gone. Please do not pick up RB Charles...address RB in draft. Go Eagles.

I tend to agree with TL a lot and favorite writer on this site, but do not agree with taking Ross at #1. Way too risky despite his crazy speed...he'll be a draft bust because he will only avg no more than 10 games a season due to injury. You may argue 10 games a season can make a big difference, if he's blazing down the field and catching the ball, but there are many talented guys in this draft class who could make a deeper impact on this team's success starting in Sept. 2017. I like taking a top WR or RB at #1 or #2 if somehow one of the best in the crop are still there at either #1 or #2, but I'd be very happy to see 2 defensive players taken at #1 and #2. A RB like Hunt or Mixon could still be there at #3.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see the FO make a trade with someone like Cleveland to drop back in Rd 1 and pick up another pick in an earlier round...they are stacked with #1 picks this season and we've been making deals with them with success. Someone who made the playoffs or SB last season may also be willing to swap #1 spots and be generous with offering an earlier round pick for the Eagles.

Very excited for this draft! Hoping for another FA pickup or 2 to help the D before the best options left are gone. Please do not pick up RB Charles...address RB in draft. Go Eagles.

Browns have 2 rd 1 picks and 1st pick in rd 2...

There have been many mocks by Sooo many experts...but in years past, Tommy you always get at least 1 of our picks right. Typically it's a name that no one else picked, much respect Tommy.

I am a Fournette guy he is my #1. He won't be around at 14 we would have to trade up to get him. However I want a Dynamic player at 14. Ross fits that bill, along with our new additions, our receiving corps would be unstoppable. We could add a player like Joe Mixon. Yea, I know how you feel about Mixon... I saw the video...The consensus seems to be Mixon, on the field abilities, belongs in the top tier of RB in this Draft. A choice of Hunt or Mixon is not a choice for me.

1 person likes this

Ross at 14? :/ We saw how all offense and no defense helped the Cowgirls when playoff time rolled around.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Here are my latest draft thoughts,

Prior to the draft, the Eagles should trade their pro bowl center Jason Kelce for a second 2nd round pick, & an extra 5th round pick. With the idea of drafting a back up guard, maybe G Isaac Asiata in the 4th or 5th round, and starting Stefan Wisniewski at center (with Seumalo as his back up).

If LB Foster, RB Fournette, or DE Barnett are *not* still on the board at 14 (& I don't expect them to be), the Eagles should trade back to the 20th-26th pick, in exchange for a third 2nd round pick and a second 6th round pick. They should then draft the following players, all of whom show good potential to address the team's most pressing needs & weaknesses:

1. CB: Marlon Humphrey (or Kevin King)
2a. CB: Best CB on the board: between Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie, Adoree Jackson, Cordrea Tankersley, Jordan Lewis, and Fabian Moreau.
2b. RB Joe Mixon*
2c. DE/OLB Demarcus Walker (or DE Jordan Willis, or maybe LB T.J. Watt)
3. RB Samaje Perine (or WR Chris Godwin, if Perine goes in 2nd round, which is possible. It's also possible that Walker will drop to the 3rd round--so ideally, the Eagles may be able to take Perine late in the 2nd and Walker early in the 3rd. Either way, I'd really like to see the Eagles draft Perine--since he & Mixon compliment each other so well.)
4a. If the Eagles don't get Perine, they should take RB James Connor here, with their initial pick in the 4th. Otherwise, they should take the best WR on the board: either Chris Godwin (probably gone), JuJu Smith Schuster (probably gone), Dede Westbrook, K.D. Cannon, Damore'ea Stringfellow*, Amara Darboh, Noah Brown, Keevan Lucas, ArDarius Stewart, or Carlos Henderson.
4b. DT Nazair Jones
5a. G Isaac Asiata
5b. RB Tarik Cohen--for his speed & remarkable quickness, to be Sproles' replacement in 2018.
6a. CB Ashton Lampkin
6b. LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin
7a. Another speedster (in addition to Cohen): either WR Kermit Whitfield, WR/KO-P returner Victor Boldin Jr. , or RB Mulfani Mohammad; or, any of the above WRs (from 4a.) who may still be on the board.
7b. S: Jordan Sterns (or Orion Smith, or Xavier Woods)--for extra depth at safety.

*Joe Mixon--

In terms of football talent, Joe Mixon is arguably the best RB in the 2017 draft, in my view, second only to Fournette perhaps. Mixon's 2014 off-field incident (of breaking a woman's jaw by punching her) was shameful. However, Dalvin Cook has also had off-field problems, and in Cook's case, a few more incidents than Mixon. I must say that after watching Mixon's December 2016 press conference, where he expressed contrition, and held himself accountable for his actions, I was impressed by his sincerity (& deep love for his mother), which honestly surprised me. As a result, I came away thinking Mixon may actually be a safer bet than Cook. Don't get me wrong, I neither condone nor excuse his actions--which were wrong. But Mixon clearly knows it, and is truly sorry, and I couldn't help but think this young man, strange as it may sound, has potential to become a team leader and a role model--*if* he can put these kinds of incidents firmly in his past, for good. As Mixon said, he desires to become a role model, and to be a better human being. Now that doesn't necessarily mean we've seen the last of Joe Mixon's off-field problems of course. But, if Mixon *is* sincere about wanting to become a better person, I think the positive influence of the Eagles' "faith and family" organization is a very good place for him to be.

On the other hand, what continues to bother me about Mixon is that--in the past--he wasn't honest or forthright about what really happened that night--which was that he was seeking to have illicit sexual relations with Ms. Molitor, and she rejected him, which he didn't like (as some athletes/men seem to have a sense of entitlement when it comes to sexual gratification and are all too willing to objectify & reduce women to something less than human in order to get what they want). As a result, he further disrespected her--to the point where Mixon said something that upset her enough to push and slap him, which is when he punched her. That Ms. Molitor's actions have been described as an "assault" on Mixon in some quarters is equally disgusting.

*Damore'ea Stringfellow--I understand there are also some off field issues with Stringfellow, but I've not looked into what those incidents were or what prompted him to get banned from the Combine. But again, like Mixon, I was impressed with Stringfellow's highlight films.

Can the Eagles organization absorb both players? Probably not (& I don't think they want to start a trend), but I believe the Eagles could take one of these two players. & of the two, I'd choose Mixon, who strikes me as a young man that has the potential to turn himself around in a big way. Two weeks ago I was against the Eagles drafting Mixon (especially after seeing the graphic film of the terrible incident), but after watching the following press conference, I've changed my mind. The truth is Mixon needs a strong, moral organization--like the Philadelphia Eagles--to call his home, as much as the Eagles need his God-given talent in their backfield:

Edited by MrSimpson
Added link, changed wording
1 person likes this

If we wait until rd 3 to draft a corner, I will lose my mind.

Ross at 14? :/ We saw how all offense and no defense helped the Cowgirls when playoff time rolled around.

Yes, exactly! Draft multiple CBs and stop being stupid!!!!!!

4 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

Your draft has a few Houdini moves but if it can be done you're looking good.

John Ross does not make this team better in any fashion. He'd become the 4th WR at best. The issue isn't WR anymore, nor is it RB. If Wentz doesn't have enough talent around him now he never will.

The issue is defense. We have a glaring need (or two) at CB, and need to upgrade our talent and depth at DL (DE AND DT) and LB. I'll be very surprised if we see more than one offensive between rounds two and five, and it wouldn't shock me if we see none. Our first pick is for sure on defense: I'd say 80% certain to be a CB/ 20% a DE.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, MrSimpson said:

Prior to the draft, the Eagles should trade their pro bowl center Jason Kelce for a second 2nd round pick, & an extra 5th round pick. With the idea of drafting a back up guard, maybe G Isaac Asiata in the 4th or 5th round, and starting Stefan Wisniewski at center (with Seumalo as his back up).

If LB Foster, RB Fournette, or DE Barnett are *not* still on the board at 14 (& I don't expect them to be), the Eagles should trade back to the 20th-26th pick, in exchange for a third 2nd round pick and a second 6th round pick. They should then draft the following players, all of whom show good potential to address the team's most pressing needs & weaknesses:

1. CB: Marlon Humphrey (or Kevin King)
2a. CB: Best CB on the board: between Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie, Adoree Jackson, Cordrea Tankersley, Jordan Lewis, and Fabian Moreau.
2b. RB Joe Mixon*
2c. DE/OLB Demarcus Walker (or DE Jordan Willis, or maybe LB T.J. Watt)
3. RB Samaje Perine (or WR Chris Godwin, if Perine goes in 2nd round, which is possible. It's also possible that Walker will drop to the 3rd round--so ideally, the Eagles may be able to take Perine late in the 2nd and Walker early in the 3rd. Either way, I'd really like to see the Eagles draft Perine--since he & Mixon compliment each other so well.)
4a. If the Eagles don't get Perine, they should take RB James Connor here, with their initial pick in the 4th. Otherwise, they should take the best WR on the board: either Chris Godwin (probably gone), JuJu Smith Schuster (probably gone), Dede Westbrook, K.D. Cannon, Damore'ea Stringfellow*, Amara Darboh, Noah Brown, Keevan Lucas, ArDarius Stewart, or Carlos Henderson.
4b. DT Nazair Jones
5a. G Isaac Asiata
5b. RB Tarik Cohen--for his speed & remarkable quickness, to be Sproles' replacement in 2018.
6a. CB Ashton Lampkin
6b. LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin
7a. Another speedster (in addition to Cohen): either WR Kermit Whitfield, WR/KO-P returner Victor Boldin Jr. , or RB Mulfani Mohammad; or, any of the above WRs (from 4a.) who may still be on the board.
7b. S: Jordan Sterns (or Orion Smith, or Xavier Woods)--for extra depth at safety.

*Joe Mixon--

In terms of football talent, Joe Mixon is arguably the best RB in the 2017 draft, in my view, second only to Fournette perhaps. Mixon's 2014 off-field incident (of breaking a woman's jaw by punching her) was shameful. However, Dalvin Cook has also had off-field problems, and in Cook's case, a few more incidents than Mixon. I must say that after watching Mixon's December 2016 press conference, where he expressed contrition, and held himself accountable for his actions, I was impressed by his sincerity (& deep love for his mother), which honestly surprised me. As a result, I came away thinking Mixon may actually be a safer bet than Cook. Don't get me wrong, I neither condone nor excuse his actions--which were wrong. But Mixon clearly knows it, and is truly sorry, and I couldn't help but think this young man, strange as it may sound, has potential to become a team leader and a role model--*if* he can put these kinds of incidents firmly in his past, for good. As Mixon said, he desires to become a role model, and to be a better human being. Now that doesn't necessarily mean we've seen the last of Joe Mixon's off-field problems of course. But, if Mixon *is* sincere about wanting to become a better person, I think the positive influence of the Eagles' "faith and family" organization is a very good place for him to be.

On the other hand, what continues to bother me about Mixon is that--in the past--he wasn't honest or forthright about what really happened that night--which was that he was seeking to have illicit sexual relations with Ms. Molitor, and she rejected him, which he didn't like (as some athletes/men seem to have a sense of entitlement when it comes to sexual gratification and are all too willing to objectify & reduce women to something less than human in order to get what they want). As a result, he further disrespected her--to the point where Mixon said something that upset her enough to push and slap him, which is when he punched her. That Ms. Molitor's actions have been described as an "assault" on Mixon in some quarters is equally disgusting.

*Damore'ea Stringfellow--I understand there are also some off field issues with Stringfellow, but I've not looked into what those incidents were or what prompted him to get banned from the Combine. But again, like Mixon, I was impressed with Stringfellow's highlight films.

Can the Eagles organization absorb both players? Probably not (& I don't think they want to start a trend), but I believe the Eagles could take one of these two players. & of the two, I'd choose Mixon, who strikes me as a young man that has the potential to turn himself around in a big way. Two weeks ago I was against the Eagles drafting Mixon (especially after seeing the graphic film of the terrible incident), but after watching the following press conference, I've changed my mind. The truth is Mixon needs a strong, moral organization--like the Philadelphia Eagles--to call his home, as much as the Eagles need his God-given talent in their backfield:

Your draft has a few Houdini moves but if it can be done you're looking good.

I love when people say things like, trade Kelce fora second round pick (let alone a fifth round in addition)...as if the other 31 teams have no say. There are no teams that'll give you a 2nd, or a 3rd, or even a 4th for Kelce. Also the same thing when people say we should trade back or trade up. You have to find a team that has their own reason to give up picks to trade up. You can't just do it, you have to find a trading partner. Don't you think other teams value draft picks? There has to be a guy another wants so badly, and is afraid they might lose, that they'd be willing to trade with you...and the compensation is dictated by the point value chart for the most part.
Do you even get how ridiculous it is to project 4th-7th round picks (if not 2nd to 4th rounders)? You want Ashton Lampkin on the 6th round? Have you ever seen him play? What do you know about the vast majority, if not ALL, of the draft prospects beyond what you've read on line? IF you read about them online you'll know there's a wide range of opinion on even the higher rated guys let alone anyone after that.
Hope we don't get Mixon, or any other RB before round five, at least. I hope we don't draft one at all. It's a wasted pick, most likely.

21 minutes ago, johnreaves said:

Hope we don't get Mixon, or any other RB before round five, at least. I hope we don't draft one at all. It's a wasted pick, most likely.

I was with you all the way until this last sentence, you gotta have a running game and currently we don't without Mathews.

We need to give Carson a RB on offense. Either Fournette or McCaffrey (Not Cook and definitely not Mixon) if either is there at 14. If we don't, the we have Ryan Mathews, who will probably be injured come week 1, Darren Sproles (in his last year in the NFL), and Wendell Smallwood, who also can't carry the load every down. I say we leave drafting WRs for next year and work on the defense after we draft a solid RB

John Reeves writes, "There are no teams that'll give you a 2nd, or a 3rd, or even a 4th for Kelce."

How do you know? A year ago when I suggested on this forum that we could get a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford, people said the same thing--that there was 'no way' that could happen, that--at best--the Eagles would be lucky to get a mid-round pick for Bradford. If a team needs a pro bowl center badly enough, why wouldn't they trade a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to get that player? Bill Belichick gave us a 4th round pick for Eric Rowe (who the Eagles didn't even see as a starter nor a #2 back up in 2016). The Eagles gave up LeSean McCoy for an injured Kiko Alonso. Recently, Roseman almost traded Malcolm Jenkins *and* a high draft pick for Brandin Cooks. NFL teams make foolish moves all the time. Kelce is a pro bowl center. He has a good reputation in the league. The Eagles only need to find one team that desperately needs to upgrade at center. Is there a glut of top quality centers in the league? I don't think so. Granted, that doesn't mean it's a certainty the Eagles will be able to find a team that's willing to make a great deal for Kelce, but how will they know unless they try?

In my view, it's a critically important draft year for the Eagles--a make or break kind of year for this team. Due to the Eagles' lack of salary space going into free agency--the result of having lavishly overpaid for a number of non-starters, such as Chase Daniel, Vinny Curry, etc.--they now have a bunch of needs they have *little choice* but to fill via the college draft: such as two starting CBs!, along with a back up CB (or two), an edge rusher, and a #1 & possibly #2 RB, etc.--since they didn't get *anyone* to potentially fill those gaps in free agency.

JR writes, "Do you even get how ridiculous it is to project 4th-7th round picks (if not 2nd to 4th rounders)?

Yes, obviously it's very difficult to predict the draft--what rounds players will be selected in, even for the 'experts'. I'm not pretending otherwise. Nor am I pretending to be an expert. But does that mean no one should bother to make a mock draft? Where's the fun in that?

JR writes, "You want Ashton Lampkin on the 6th round? Have you ever seen him play? What do you know about the vast majority, if not ALL, of the draft prospects beyond what you've read on line?"

I don't do much reading on line--except to find out the various opinions about what rounds certain players are projected to be drafted in. Instead I try to evaluate the players by watching them on film, how they perform in actual games. I find You Tube to be an invaluable resource in this regard. From my own experience, I know that great athletes tend to stand out from the pack in any sport, not only for their unusual athletic abilities--their quickness, ball skills, speed, vertical jump, etc., but also for their strength of will, tenacity, competitive spirit, mental toughness & single-mindedness. They hate to lose. Those qualities are discernible on film. Though I'm not pretending that it isn't still a bit of a crap shoot, as there are other factors, and most teams won't be drafting 'great' athletes, they'll simply be trying to find very, very good athletes that can get the job done at the NFL level.  Nor have I seen all the players in the draft--far from it.

But yes, I've watched Ashton Lampkin play (as well as the others in my mock draft). & I think Lampkin could potentially be a valuable addition to the Eagles--though not necessarily as a starter. In his junior year, Lampkin covered WR Laquon Treadwell impressively. For me, that's a good measuring stick. Which is more than I can say about Tre'davious White, who looked totally lost trying to cover & tackle Treadwell--who had a big day against him. Yet the 'experts' project White to go *much* higher in the draft than Lampkin. That doesn't make sense to me. Fortunately the Eagles met with Lampkin at the Combine, so they must see potential in him as well:

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, johnreaves said:

The issue isn't WR anymore, nor is it RB. If Wentz doesn't have enough talent around him now he never will.

I would challenge this. I agree that we look a whole lot better at WR right now but it's still far from perfect. Jeffrey has his health issues and Smith is coming off the back of two down years in SF. And we currently have no recognised number one RB. In fact right now we don't have much of a sustainable running game at all.

Yes defense is the main issue and yes we are in desperate need of corners but this is where we need to start drafting much better. We shouldn't be just looking to hit on guys in the first and maybe second. We need to be looking at drafting guys further on down the draft that can contribute. That's where this team is going to start building from. That's where this team might start to become contenders.

1 person likes this

He is probably not going to be available at 13 so makes my argument moot, but if Barnett is available I think we are crazy to pass up on him.
Just MTC.

46 minutes ago, bagger90 said:

He is probably not going to be available at 13 so makes my argument moot, but if Barnett is available I think we are crazy to pass up on him.
Just MTC.

You're right I don't think he will be there when we come to pick. But if he is then yeah I think most would agree we would my crazy to pass him up. I'm still unsure though because I'm not completely sold on Barnett. I don't know why but he seems to me like Brandon Graham part II. Now your could argue that's fine but it has taken Graham a number of years to start producing and getting it right like that twice so quickly? That's a long shot. 

I know this is a deep draft for CB's but waiting until the 3rd round to address the position when we need 2 of them seems a little absurd to me. We should be looking to get the best CB's possible. If it was me, 2 of the 1st 3 picks would be CB's. I would also consider trading down in the 1st and adding another 2nd or 3rd depending on who's still on the board at 14. We have a lot of needs on defense so adding another early round pick would help. The offense has been addressed nicely in FA. We lost 4 starters from a so-so defense and added nobody in FA. If we don't add a whole lot of talent to the defense in this draft, we aren't gonna win much this season. Simple as that.

Why? This is a deep class and there is not alot of difference between a 1st and 3rd.and WHAT guarntees do you have that Alshon and Smith are going to be here after this season?? Yep-ZERO.We let those guys go and we are back to LAME at WR.Ross is fast,but he is unimpressive when he plays.Looking good on paper does not equate to NFL success-NO ROSS please.Davis,Williams or TE Howard(who can also run slot as a WR) wold be my pick at 14.Willis in 2 is fine,then we should go BTB CB's in 3 and first 4 and add another one later(or UDFA).RB's are also deep,we just need a banger back.One sleeper back is joe Williams from Utah.I have no clue how late he will go(or Conner) I would also suggest getting a Sproles replacement in place such as Tarik Cohen or Elijah McGuire.Another late CB I like is Shaquille Griffin.If the 2 WR's and Howard are gone,I'm fine waiting for a WR which is also a deep class.Just gotta wait and see who falls to 14.In any event 14 is a nice place and we should get an impact player no matter the position

John Reeves writes, "There are no teams that'll give you a 2nd, or a 3rd, or even a 4th for Kelce."

How do you know? A year ago when I suggested on this forum that we could get a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford, people said the same thing--that there was 'no way' that could happen, that--at best--the Eagles would be lucky to get a mid-round pick for Bradford. If a team needs a pro bowl center badly enough, why wouldn't they trade a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to get that player? Bill Belichick gave us a 4th round pick for Eric Rowe (who the Eagles didn't even see as a starter nor a #2 back up in 2016). The Eagles gave up LeSean McCoy for an injured Kiko Alonso. Recently, Roseman almost traded Malcolm Jenkins *and* a high draft pick for Brandin Cooks. NFL teams make foolish moves all the time. Kelce is a pro bowl center. He has a good reputation in the league. The Eagles only need to find one team that desperately needs to upgrade at center. Is there a glut of top quality centers in the league? I don't think so. Granted, that doesn't mean it's a certainty the Eagles will be able to find a team that's willing to make a great deal for Kelce, but how will they know unless they try?

In my view, it's a critically important draft year for the Eagles--a make or break kind of year for this team. Due to the Eagles' lack of salary space going into free agency--the result of having lavishly overpaid for a number of non-starters, such as Chase Daniel, Vinny Curry, etc.--they now have a bunch of needs they have *little choice* but to fill via the college draft: such as two starting CBs!, along with a back up CB (or two), an edge rusher, and a #1 & possibly #2 RB, etc.--since they didn't get *anyone* to potentially fill those gaps in free agency.

JR writes, "Do you even get how ridiculous it is to project 4th-7th round picks (if not 2nd to 4th rounders)?

Yes, obviously it's very difficult to predict the draft--what rounds players will be selected in, even for the 'experts'. I'm not pretending otherwise. Nor am I pretending to be an expert. But does that mean no one should bother to make a mock draft? Where's the fun in that?

JR writes, "You want Ashton Lampkin on the 6th round? Have you ever seen him play? What do you know about the vast majority, if not ALL, of the draft prospects beyond what you've read on line?"

I don't do much reading on line--except to find out the various opinions about what rounds certain players are projected to be drafted in. Instead I try to evaluate the players by watching them on film, how they perform in actual games. I find You Tube to be an invaluable resource in this regard. From my own experience, I know that great athletes tend to stand out from the pack in any sport, not only for their unusual athletic abilities--their quickness, ball skills, speed, vertical jump, etc., but also for their strength of will, tenacity, competitive spirit, mental toughness & single-mindedness. They hate to lose. Those qualities are discernible on film. Though I'm not pretending that it isn't still a bit of a crap shoot, as there are other factors, and most teams won't be drafting 'great' athletes, they'll simply be trying to find very, very good athletes that can get the job done at the NFL level.  Nor have I seen all the players in the draft--far from it.

But yes, I've watched Ashton Lampkin play (as well as the others in my mock draft). & I think Lampkin could potentially be a valuable addition to the Eagles--though not necessarily as a starter. In his junior year, Lampkin covered WR Laquon Treadwell impressively. For me, that's a good measuring stick. Which is more than I can say about Tre'davious White, who looked totally lost trying to cover & tackle Treadwell--who had a big day against him. Yet the 'experts' project White to go *much* higher in the draft than Lampkin. That doesn't make sense to me. Fortunately the Eagles met with Lampkin at the Combine, so they must see potential in him as well:

Yep like Lampkin late and/or Shaquille Griffin,but we really DO need starters,but I would be fine with this guy or Shaq as a depth choice