Don Corleone

NFL passes no-leaping rule; approves ban for head hits

39 posts in this topic

Blocking field goals or extra points just became more difficult.

NFL owners passed a rule to prohibit players from leaping over offensive linemen during kicks, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday.

The Philadelphia Eagles proposed the rule change, which was backed by the NFL Players Association with player safety in mind.

"The jumping over on the field goal, I think, is just leading to a really dangerous play for everybody," offensive lineman Eric Winston, the NFLPA's president, said earlier this offseason, via the Washington Post. "If you jump over the center, the jumper is in a really bad spot. He can land on his head. I think the guys that are getting jumped over are going to end up getting hurt, with those guys landing on them. So I'll be very interested to see what they'll do there. I think something probably needs to be done."

Defenders leaping from the second level over an offensive lineman, usually the long snapper, has led to exciting plays. Players like Seattle Seahawks Kam Chancellor have impacted games by blocking multiple kicks. Denver's Justin Simmons famously changed the outcome of last season's contest versus the New Orleans Saints by leaping over and blocking a would-be go-ahead extra point, which was returned for two points, giving the Broncos a 25-23 win.

Many players might be upset with the rule change, but both the NFL and NFLPA endorsed it for safety reasons.

Other rule changes voted upon Tuesday:

1. The NFL passed a rule for automatic ejections for egregious hits to the head, Rapoport reported. This new rule comes a year after the league installed an automatic ejection system for players who committed two personal fouls in the same game.

Translation: Expect college-like targeting calls to lead to ejections.

2. The Washington Redskins' proposal to place the ball at the 20-yard-line if the kicker puts it through the uprights on a kickoff failed, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000795748/article/nfl-passes-noleaping-rule-approves-ban-for-head-hits

Watching a defender leap over the line is exciting, but it's dangerous. I never liked it for safety sake. It's reckless.

I LOATHE the targeting call in college and now they are gonna put it in the NFL? It is such a subjective rule even when it goes under review. It's efen football- if you have the ball, yeah, I'm gonna target your a**. Defense is being neutered more and more each year and it is becoming laughable.

6 people like this

I can see why they've passed the no leaping rule from a safety point of view but it was real exciting on the odd occasion that it happened. I'm sure Seattle will be disappointed as they had built a reputation for blocked field goals. But yeah absolutely from a safety perspective it makes sense that they'd pass this. 

Yay, more rules..

1 person likes this

Football is slowly becoming fütball.

1 person likes this

This is so stupid!!! They are ruining football!!!!

1 person likes this

I don't really see it as dangerous. NBA jump a mile high to dunk over people all the time. I mean you can get hurt but, when has anyone ever gotten hurt from it? 

1 person likes this

No Fun League.

Football is inherently not safe. If we want everyone to be safe on the field, then let's just dress everyone in bubble wrap and make all hitting illegal. I understand making a few tweaks here and there to make things like head injuries less common and less serious, but we're going down the slippery slope to fundamentally changing any and every aspect of the game to make it "safe." There are plenty of other "safe" sports out there that people can play if they don't like the risks associated with football.

5 people like this

APPROVED 2017 PLAYING RULES PROPOSALS 

The below playing rules, bylaws and resolution proposals were adopted by NFL clubs at the 2017 annual meeting in Phoenix:

APPROVED 2017 PLAYING RULES PROPOSALS

2a. By Philadelphia: Prohibits the "leaper” block attempt on field goal and extra point plays. (Final language will be available on NFLCommunications.com) 

8.  By Competition Committee: Makes permanent the rule that disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

9.  By Competition Committee: Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line for one year only.

11.  By Competition Committee: Gives a receiver running a pass route defenseless player protection.

12.  By Competition Committee: Makes crackback blocks prohibited by a backfield player who is in motion, even if he is not more than two yards outside the tackle when the ball is snapped.

13.  By Competition Committee: Replaces the sideline replay monitor with a hand-held device and authorizes designated members of the Officiating department to make the final decision on replay reviews.

14.  By Competition Committee: Makes it Unsportsmanlike Conduct to commit multiple fouls during the same down designed to manipulate the game clock.

15.  By Competition Committee: Makes actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.

APPROVED 2017 BYLAW PROPOSALS

4.  By Competition Committee: Liberalizes rules for timing, testing, and administering physical examinations to draft-eligible players at a club’s facility for one year only.

5.  By Competition Committee: Changes the procedures for returning a player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness to the Active List to be similar to those for returning a player that was Designated for Return.

6.  By Competition Committee: The League office will transmit a Personnel Notice to clubs on Sundays during training camp and preseason.

APPROVED 2017 RESOLUTION PROPOSAL

G-4.  By Competition Committee: Permits a contract or non-contract non-football employee to interview with and be hired by another club during the playing season, provided that the employer club has consented.

http://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-rules/approved-2017-playing-rules-proposals/

No leaping rule is ridiculous. At this point they might as well just kick the field goal without a defense on the field, because they've systematically removed every possible way the D can block it. Can't have more than 6 players on either side of the line, can't rush up the middle, can't use a player for leverage to go over the line, now they can't leap over the line even if they can do it without touching anyone.

So tell me, are they going to ban RBs leaping over the line into the end zone now? How is that more safe than a defender going over the line trying to block a kick?

3 people like this

No leaping is the only team rule approved and it was from the birds:roll::roll::roll:Eagle_smiley.jpgEagle_smiley.jpg

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, nipples said:

No leaping rule is ridiculous. At this point they might as well just kick the field goal without a defense on the field, because they've systematically removed every possible way the D can block it. Can't have more than 6 players on either side of the line, can't rush up the middle, can't use a player for leverage to go over the line, now they can't leap over the line even if they can do it without touching anyone.

So tell me, are they going to ban RBs leaping over the line into the end zone now? How is that more safe than a defender going over the line trying to block a kick?

That's a good point, that will be the next ban. No leaping of any kind including leaping over a defender diving at the knees or leaping up for a high ball. Like seriously is this the direction they are going? 

I was always in favor of a 2 UC=ejection rule.  There should also be an aggregate UC rule over the season that leads to suspensions.  All of this should TAKE the PLACE of Goddell suspending players on whim after singular personal fouls.  The targeted single infraction ejection is not needed, bad rule.

14 hours ago, nipples said:

I'll nix 20 no jumping rules to get my kickoff returns back.

22 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

That's a good point, that will be the next ban. No leaping of any kind including leaping over a defender diving at the knees or leaping up for a high ball. Like seriously is this the direction they are going? 

0ap3000000709935_video_cp.jpg

NFL-Referee-psd96136.png

"Illegal hurdling; 15 yard penalty, replay 3rd down."

Now if they would not allow a time-out to be called by the opposition just before

any punt, free-kick, extra point or FG attempt all would be right with my world. <g>

54 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Now if they would not allow a time-out to be called by the opposition just before

any punt, free-kick, extra point or FG attempt all would be right with my world. <g>

As much as I hate when coaches do that, I wouldn't make a rule against it. Aside from not being able to call timeouts back to back, teams should be free to use them any time they want.

44 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

As much as I hate when coaches do that, I wouldn't make a rule against it.

teams should be free to use them any time they want.

I suppose every now & again there could be a situation where the opposition's coverage is messed up or there's too many men on the field or someone is hurt or whatever. As long as that's the situation I don't have a problem with it. Otherwise, you  KNOW  damned well they're doing it deliberately and it reeks of 'CHEAP  SHOT'.  I wouldn't allow it. Just my humble opinion.

7 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

I suppose every now & again there could be a situation where the opposition's coverage is messed up or there's too many men on the field or someone is hurt or whatever. As long as that's the situation I don't have a problem with it. Otherwise, you  KNOW  damned well they're doing it deliberately and it reeks of 'CHEAP  SHOT'.  I wouldn't allow it. Just my humble opinion.

Of course it's deliberate. It should still be their right to use it whenever they want. They assume the risk doing so. It's both worked, and backfired on coaches before. 

You guys are overreacting, this play rarely actually impacts the outcome. Anyone know how many leaping players blocked kicks vs how many were injured for at least the remainder of the game due to the play? Next year at this point we won't even notice a difference in it being gone.

Coming up next, exciting NFL action!  Here are the teams warming up.

Barcelona-Bubble-Football.jpg

1 person likes this

Should do away with the most ridiculous rule of all. If you fumble the ball out of bounds while in the field of play your team retains possession but if you are running in for a TD and accidentally fumble the ball into and out of the end zone your team loses possession. Completely ridiculous. Should retain possession from the spot of the fumble.

9 hours ago, VT_Bassman said:

Should do away with the most ridiculous rule of all. If you fumble the ball out of bounds while in the field of play your team retains possession but if you are running in for a TD and accidentally fumble the ball into and out of the end zone your team loses possession. Completely ridiculous. Should retain possession from the spot of the fumble.

That would make it even easier for offense, like it isn't easy enough for them. Both end zones are different parts of field.