Don Corleone

NFL passes no-leaping rule; approves ban for head hits

39 posts in this topic

On March 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM, toolg said:

Watching a defender leap over the line is exciting, but it's dangerous. I never liked it for safety sake. It's reckless.

You've got to be kidding me.......dangerous?  Have you ever played football?  The whole f----- game is inherently dangerous.  These idiotic rule changes are ruining the game.  How many guys have been hurt leaping over somebody?  this is the kind of bullsh-- that people say, "safety sake", that cause rule changes that don't change a f---- thing except make it appear that "something is being done".  the game is being changed for the worse.......

These rule changes are made to make goodell and the owners look like their "concerned" for player safety and the media pressure lessens.  They're going to ruin this game in about 10-15 years because of the ridiculous rule changes......

Sorry about the rant........too much coffee today.

2 people like this

52 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

You've got to be kidding me.......dangerous?  Have you ever played football?  The whole f----- game is inherently dangerous.  These idiotic rule changes are ruining the game.  How many guys have been hurt leaping over somebody?  this is the kind of bullsh-- that people say, "safety sake", that cause rule changes that don't change a f---- thing except make it appear that "something is being done".  the game is being changed for the worse.......

These rule changes are made to make goodell and the owners look like their "concerned" for player safety and the media pressure lessens.  They're going to ruin this game in about 10-15 years because of the ridiculous rule changes......

walking down the street can be dangerous .....  I think the rule really only protects Kicker and placeholder .  I can understand wanting to protect the kickers but there has to be another way 

2 minutes ago, NE.Jon said:

walking down the street can be dangerous .....  I think the rule really only protects Kicker and placeholder .  I can understand wanting to protect the kickers but there has to be another way 

Has any kickers or placeholders been injured during a play like that?  I honestly can't remember any......

Just now, birdman#12 said:

Has any kickers or placeholders been injured during a play like that?  I honestly can't remember any......

not sure , but besides the guy jumping they would be only ones in a position to be hurt

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Running into each other, that's one thing. That's part of the game. Leaping over lineman to block a kick is where I draw the line. The best defense for a leaping lineman is to stand up, and possibly take a knee or shoe to the head. That shouldn't be encouraged. There's a good time and bad time to leave the ground; when you're playing on the line isn't the best place to leave the ground. Maybe it's different in the pros, maybe they're athletic enough to play this way. Maybe part of the effectiveness is having the surprise of a lineman suddenly in the air. But I don't want young players emulating this.

49 minutes ago, toolg said:

Running into each other, that's one thing. That's part of the game. Leaping over lineman to block a kick is where I draw the line. The best defense for a leaping lineman is to stand up, and possibly take a knee or shoe to the head. That shouldn't be encouraged. There's a good time and bad time to leave the ground; when you're playing on the line isn't the best place to leave the ground. Maybe it's different in the pros, maybe they're athletic enough to play this way. Maybe part of the effectiveness is having the surprise of a lineman suddenly in the air. But I don't want young players emulating this.

Pros are the highest level......and rule changes like this are simply an effort to appear to make the game safer, which is really doesn't.  There is a rule already that if the leaper touches a lineman, it's a penalty.  Instead of making the leap illegal, strengthen the penalty.  Create a bigger deterrent instead of eliminating a strategy and falsely claiming player safety.

In my opinion, they have moved in the right direction by moving the extra point back and making it a strategic decision to go for 2.  Losing on a FG, which has a relatively high percentage of success, should be made harder.  Make distance a scoring factor.....with the changes in pass defense penalties, it makes it too easy to get into field goal range.  But, that just another opinion......probably will never happen.

I don't see leaping over the line as a strategy... I see it as a gamble. As a spectator it makes for an exciting play to watch, but I don't think it belongs on the field.

2 hours ago, toolg said:

I don't see leaping over the line as a strategy... I see it as a gamble. As a spectator it makes for an exciting play to watch, but I don't think it belongs on the field.

All strategies come with a gamble.....And I guess we'll just disagree, I see absolutely no reason to outlaw it.....player leap over other players all the time....RB and WR have done it, pass rushers have leaped over blockers, RBs leap over a goalline scrum with linebacker leaped to stop them......But a defender leaping over the line to block a field goal is somehow more dangerous?  

Again, these rule changes are ridiculous and narrow minded because somebody got a burr under his saddle.......

On 4/5/2017 at 4:16 AM, NE.Jon said:

not sure , but besides the guy jumping they would be only ones in a position to be hurt

But, guess what: players KNOW injuries come with playing football.

On 4/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, birdman#12 said:

All strategies come with a gamble.....And I guess we'll just disagree, I see absolutely no reason to outlaw it.....player leap over other players all the time....RB and WR have done it, pass rushers have leaped over blockers, RBs leap over a goalline scrum with linebacker leaped to stop them......But a defender leaping over the line to block a field goal is somehow more dangerous?  

Again, these rule changes are ridiculous and narrow minded because somebody got a burr under his saddle.......

I would agree if the offensive line didn't have to have a hand on the ground. Because of this there isn't time to stop this strategy. Almost cheap to me. If they jumped over a fully aware standing up man then it would be different. The only way to stop it is to quickly stand up under the player which seems like an unnecessary injury waiting to happen for wither the leaper or the guy willing to put his face in his knee. 

Also, there were only 3 kicks blocked last year out of around 1000. Youre upset over them banning a .0003 chance of something happening and they have a valid reason.

4 minutes ago, Miller99 said:

I would agree if the offensive line didn't have to have a hand on the ground. Because of this there isn't time to stop this strategy. Almost cheap to me. If they jumped over a fully aware standing up man then it would be different. The only way to stop it is to quickly stand up under the player which seems like an unnecessary injury waiting to happen for wither the leaper or the guy willing to put his face in his knee. 

Also, there were only 3 kicks blocked last year out of around 1000. Youre upset over them banning a .0003 chance of something happening and they have a valid reason.

What valid reason??  Nobody has been hurt doing it. There is a penalty in place if you make contact with the lineman.  I can't believe you said it's an injury waiting to happen....just like every play I mentioned before?  Leaping tacklers, diving over blockers, goal line dives by RBs and goal line defenses?  

Give me a break.......you and the NFL are looking for injuries that haven't happened and the play is no more dangerous than what is going on already.  You're defending this despite no injuries being caused but somebody can IMAGINE an injury.  Are you kidding me?

2 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

What valid reason??  Nobody has been hurt doing it. There is a penalty in place if you make contact with the lineman.  I can't believe you said it's an injury waiting to happen....just like every play I mentioned before?  Leaping tacklers, diving over blockers, goal line dives by RBs and goal line defenses?  

Give me a break.......you and the NFL are looking for injuries that haven't happened and the play is no more dangerous than what is going on already.  You're defending this despite no injuries being caused but somebody can IMAGINE an injury.  Are you kidding me?

It's not just about injuries though. There is a long snapper. He is protected because it takes him an exta second to get up. The reason you couldn't launch off of your own player to begin with was because they would launch over long snapper before he had time to react. Now players are athletic enough to jump over long snapper before he can react. There isn't a way for the offense to stop it so it's an unfair advantage.

3 hours ago, Miller99 said:

It's not just about injuries though. There is a long snapper. He is protected because it takes him an exta second to get up. The reason you couldn't launch off of your own player to begin with was because they would launch over long snapper before he had time to react. Now players are athletic enough to jump over long snapper before he can react. There isn't a way for the offense to stop it so it's an unfair advantage.

The snap count is entirely on the offense, so there is no unfair advantage.....a defender's leap has to be timed just right, clear the lineman and make the block without hitting the kicker.  There is absolutely no advantage to the "leaper".  It's a super athletic play that has a much larger potential for failure than success.  

Again, you're ignoring the fact that leaping happens all the time, with guys moving a lot faster than over a center.  This rule is ridiculously inconsistent with the other things going on in the game.  When a RB is running a DB dives at his legs, he leaps and everybody declares how great it was.  Sometime the DB gets a foot or a knee to the head and nobody is whining about it. 

The rule is inconsistent and stinks of some idiotic reason that somebody got in their head and then hiding behind the "player safety" nonsense.  

5 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

The snap count is entirely on the offense, so there is no unfair advantage.....a defender's leap has to be timed just right, clear the lineman and make the block without hitting the kicker.  There is absolutely no advantage to the "leaper".  It's a super athletic play that has a much larger potential for failure than success.  

Again, you're ignoring the fact that leaping happens all the time, with guys moving a lot faster than over a center.  This rule is ridiculously inconsistent with the other things going on in the game.  When a RB is running a DB dives at his legs, he leaps and everybody declares how great it was.  Sometime the DB gets a foot or a knee to the head and nobody is whining about it. 

The rule is inconsistent and stinks of some idiotic reason that somebody got in their head and then hiding behind the "player safety" nonsense.  

The snap count isn't always on the offense. Sometimes they are racing against the clock. Either way, we aren't going to agree so oh well.

1 person likes this