Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

713 posts in this topic

Simpson and Trini, love the optimism. But Simpson, given your own words, how are the Eagles going to completely redo the defense "(CB, RB, DE, & LB (& possibly S & WR)" and compete this year? CB, DE, LB, and possibly S is the whole defense minus Fletcher Cox. That's needing a perfect draft for a team that drafted horribly in the Chipper years. A perfect draft where the BPA at the time the Eagles pick is one of those needs. I am optimistic, but realistic. I love what I saw from a rookie Wentz, but he MUST improve significantly on footwork and decision making in year 2. Watch the tape. Those two areas were not good in 2016. Weapons he needed for sure, but weapons has nothing to do with poor footwork and decision making. I hope the coaches can coach him up where needed and he can make the needed progress.
As for the CB position, that is a serious issue right now. The team can turn a blind eye all they want, but it is an issue needed attention.
I'm really happy that Sproles is going to return.
Here's hoping that both Lane Johnson and Alshon can stay clean and injury free to really help the Eagles in 2017 and beyond. Sounds like buzz lightyear. To infinity and beyond! Go Birds!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This just in:

View image on Twitter View image on Twitter
I just read on http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-what-have-we-learned-about-eagles-0330-20170330-story.htm (an article I posted earlier on this thread) that Bryan Braman is gone,but he's still on the Roster under-Free Agents. He is #56 which the Eagles have now given to Chris Long. So I don't know if Braman is truly gone or if they have yet to update the Roster. I believe it's the latter 'cause Long's #56 & Robinson's # 21 (previously worn by McKelvin) are not entered on the Roster yet. Burton is still listed on Roster under 'Restricted FA' but his number has changed from #47 to #88.  Sorry for all of the DEAD space at bottom. I was unable to get rid of it.
Edited by EaglesTD123
try to edit spacing
2 people like this

Latest Mock draft from sb nation 1 hour old with a consensus from 6 guys.

1. Browns - DE Myles Garrett
2. 49er's - DE Soloman Thomas
3. Bears - DL Jonathon Allen
4. Jags - RB Leonard Fournette
5. Titans - CB Marshon Lattimore
6. Jets - QB's Mitchell Trubisky / Deshaun Watson
7. Chargers - S Malik Hooker
8. Panthers - RB's Leonard Fournette/ Cook
9. Bengals - LB Rueben Foster
10. Bills - WR Mike Williams
11. Saints - DE Derek Barnett
12. Browns - QB's Mitchell Trubisky / Deshaun Watson
13. Cardinals - WR Corey Davis / QB Deshone Kizer
14. Eagles - CB Marlon Humphrey

Now lets pretend this mock is accurate and we have the choice of CB Marlon Humphrey, WR John Ross or TE O.J. Howard at pick 14. Which one would you guys take? It is a no brainer for me but some of you may have other choices. My pick is O. J. Howard.

Ditto

2 people like this

Now lets pretend this mock is accurate and we have the choice of CB Marlon Humphrey, WR John Ross or TE O.J. Howard at pick 14. Which one would you guys take? It is a no brainer for me but some of you may have other choices. My pick is O. J. Howard.

Cards in a quandry.They need to find Fitz replacement,but they also need a future QB,which means there is a chance Davis falls to us(in the above scenario)

1 person likes this

I want CB Marlon Humphrey to become an Eagle. But I'm not sure the Eagles need to pick him at #14. Most mocks have Humphrey going in the 20s, or even later--some in the 2nd round. So the Eagles could trade back, and possibly get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick?, and still acquire Humphrey, or at least a comparable top prospect such as Kevin King or Chidobe Awuzie. I think that would be a smart way to go, considering the extensive depth in this year's draft, BUT only if a number of top players are off the board at 14--such as Foster, Barnett, & Fournette.

Assuming Carson Wentz proves to be a better, more consistent QB in 2017, I can't entirely agree with the Eagles recent talk that they're "many players" away from building a championship team. As mentioned, there's an unusual amount of depth in this year's draft class *to be taken advantage of*, & it just so happens to be where the Eagles most need to improve (or add depth)--such as at CB, RB, DE, & LB (& possibly S & WR). So, if the Eagles were to trade back at 14 for an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick, and also trade Kelce (& perhaps Kendricks) in order to acquire even more draft picks, I expect they could add a whole bunch of extremely promising young players from this year's draft: some of whom, if chosen wisely, would likely prove strong solutions to the team's remaining weaknesses--if not in 2017, then in 2018. After all, this is a team that beat the Falcons last year!!!--so they're not that far away. With that said, however, the Eagles would have to draft 3 or 4 CBs, & not just 2, in order to insure the best odds of finding two viable starters.

The other big, potential advantage this year is that there's a super promising 1st round RB prospect that is expected to go later than the 1st round--in RB Joe Mixon. I recently watched Mixon's press conference 'apology' from December, 2016, about the 2014 incident where he punched a woman and broke her jaw. Of course, I don't approve of what he did, which was both disgusting & shameful, but, in the press conference, Mixon clearly showed that he is *genuinely*, deeply contrite over the incident. Surely this is a young man that has grown up a lot over the past two years?--since he was a mere 18 years old, and earnestly wants to become a better human being. Which is admirable. Therefore, IMO, Mixon's fall from grace back in 2014 presents the Eagles with a golden opportunity in 2017, because they (& Wentz) desperately need a RB of his talent & versatility (& they also need a back like Samaje Perine to compliment him). However, the bad news is that I don't think Mixon will last much past the early 2nd round, in fact, he may even go as early as the latter part of the 1st. He's too good a prospect--arguably the best RB in the draft. So I expect some team will be tempted to take Mixon earlier than projected. Which is another reason why the Eagles should try to pick up an additional 2nd round pick.

Another player that is being projected to go 'later' is DE Demarcus Walker. Walker was originally projected to go in the 2nd round, but didn't have an overly impressive Combine. What got my attention is that he didn't even run the 40. Now, if I were Joe Douglas or Howie Roseman, I would do my utmost to find out *why* Walker opted out of the 40. If it was due to an injury, or because he wasn't feeling 100%?, then his Combine results may be very misleading. Which would make Walker a prime pick in the 3rd round. I've seen Walker's films, and feel strongly that he's being underrated here--as there's no way that he's not faster & quicker than projected 1st rounder Taco Charleston, for example. I wouldn't even be surprised if Walker has a better NFL career than last year's top DE draft pick Deforrest Buckner.

So, if the Eagles could pick up Humphrey, Mixon, Walker & another CB in the early rounds, that would be the start of a very good draft year, IMO.

IMO Mixon is a head case,we dont need cancer in the RB room.Lots of good CB's in this draft,no need to spend a first just cause he's RANKED there.You know those "experts" are wrong most of the time.Find guys that FIT THIS team,not guys who are ranked higher because of their college careers.I have Willis/Walker/KPassagnon as possible 3rd rounders(whomever falls to us there).I don't know "the plan" we have at WR.If we are planning to pay Alshon an insane amoutnt o keep him then at 1 and if he's there I agree with Wrang,we take Howard.If the plan is to "rent" Alshon for a year,then we need to take Corey Davis.Only the FO know what the plan is

1 person likes this

By Jimmy Kempski:

Eagles speculation! Jason Peters to the Broncos?

Is this an April Fools article? Maybe not seeing as how surprising the NFL is! :facepalm:

On the downside, the Eagles currently have a pair of very good starting T's in Peters & Johnson. That is an ideal setup for a 2nd year QB that the team is making every effort to surround with talent. Trading Peters unquestionably weakens the OL, as Johnson would slide over from RT to LT, and Big V would presumably fill in at RT. There likely wouldn't be a drop-off from Peters to Johnson, but there would be a major drop from Johnson to Vaitai, as we saw last year.

Still, it's not a crazy thought. Consider the following (buckle up for a heavy dose of speculation):

The Eagles would save a lot of money if they traded Peters………

The Eagles asked Peters to take a pay cut………

Johnson is making 'left tackle money' to play right …………

The Eagles seem to like Vaitai………

The Broncos badly need a left tackle………

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-speculation-jason-peters-broncos/

27 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

17 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Ditto

DEFINITELY O.J. Howard,no brainer!

Wondering why the CB's we are picking up/have are mostly under 6 feet tall.Doesn't bode well going against 6'3" WR's lol

2 people like this

By Jimmy Kempski:

Eagles speculation! Jason Peters to the Broncos?

Is this an April Fools article? Maybe not seeing as how surprising the NFL is! :facepalm:

On the downside, the Eagles currently have a pair of very good starting T's in Peters & Johnson. That is an ideal setup for a 2nd year QB that the team is making every effort to surround with talent. Trading Peters unquestionably weakens the OL, as Johnson would slide over from RT to LT, and Big V would presumably fill in at RT. There likely wouldn't be a drop-off from Peters to Johnson, but there would be a major drop from Johnson to Vaitai, as we saw last year.

Still, it's not a crazy thought. Consider the following (buckle up for a heavy dose of speculation):

The Eagles would save a lot of money if they traded Peters………

The Eagles asked Peters to take a pay cut………

Johnson is making 'left tackle money' to play right …………

The Eagles seem to like Vaitai………

The Broncos badly need a left tackle………

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-speculation-jason-peters-broncos/

This time of year(the LULL period waiting for draft day),everyone will hit EVERY POSSIBLE scenario.Since there's nothing to write about they gotta delve into this stuff.It's also possible I hit the lottery next week

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Wondering why the CB's we are picking up/have are mostly under 6 feet tall.Doesn't bode well going against 6'3" WR's lol

The only way I see those shorter CB's getting PBU's vs. the tall WR's is if they have an outstanding and well timed vertical.

Source: Eagles DB Ron Brooks took a pay cut from $1.85M to $1M for 2017. The 2018 year in his contract is also now an option year.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

This time of year(the LULL period waiting for draft day),everyone will hit EVERY POSSIBLE scenario.Since there's nothing to write about they gotta delve into this stuff.It's also possible I hit the lottery next week

Yeah,I think it's a BS article! Just wanted to pass on the news. I don't see Peters going anywhere. This is a BIG developmental year for Wentz,and having Peters & Lane as the bookends gives Carson confidence and piece of mind that he'll have substantial protection on the Edges. Plus the way Pederson was talking…Jason Peters isn't going anywhere,IMO.

Edited by EaglesTD123
add forgotten input
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Evidently I'm not the only one who thinks Scwartz has to be more flexible/creative with his D.

http://thesportsdaily.com/eagles-eye-blog/leo-pizzini-provides-clarity-to-the-schwartz-defensive-philosophy-in-philly/

Good article.It mentions Brizer and DDD-are they no longer with us????

Thats the EYE. Thats TJs pad. DDD no one has heard from him. Peeps have even tried emailing him. TJs pad had a new interior designer and changed the furniture around to the Facebook format. Brizer i dont think wanted to get on the Facebook move. You see the Draftek mock? The guy who does the Eagles picks is Broz hes one of the old school posters too he hangs out at TJs. Cool dudes.

1 person likes this

What an EXCELLENT group of guys on this EMB!!! I get more quality news on here than anywhere else. I'm not going to name any names due to the fact of leaving someone out. THANK YOU ALL!!! :worthy:

4 people like this

55 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Evidently I'm not the only one who thinks Scwartz has to be more flexible/creative with his D.

http://thesportsdaily.com/eagles-eye-blog/leo-pizzini-provides-clarity-to-the-schwartz-defensive-philosophy-in-philly/

Thats the EYE. Thats TJs pad. DDD no one has heard from him. Peeps have even tried emailing him. TJs pad had a new interior designer and changed the furniture around to the Facebook format. Brizer i dont think wanted to get on the Facebook move. You see the Draftek mock? The guy who does the Eagles picks is Broz hes one of the old school posters too he hangs out at TJs. Cool dudes.

TJ jumps in here on occaision(maybe out of boredom lol) Can't blame Briz,I avoid all the social media stuff too.DDD was our Mach 10 guru

43 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

The only way I see those shorter CB's getting PBU's vs. the tall WR's is if they have an outstanding and well timed vertical.

Well FIRST they HAVE TO LOOK BACK which has been a horrendous gripe I have had since the day I invented DIRT

2 people like this

On 3/31/2017 at 0:12 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Funny how with our current roster of corners I don't feel any worse about the state of that position group.

I really liked how C.J. Smith performed &-who knows?-he could take a big leap 4ward this training camp/preseason.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

This is a horrible mock. None took Jamal Adams. Ramcyzck is missing as well. But he seems to be sliding in many mocks I have seen most recently. So I guess he is possible. Adams is elite. And everyone knows it. S is our strongest spot with holes everywhere on the team and we would have to take Adams.

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,I think it's a BS article! Just wanted to pass on the news. I don't see Peters going anywhere. This is a BIG developmental year and having Peters & Lane as the bookends gives Carson confidence and piece of mind that he'll have substantial protection on the Edges. Plus the way Pederson was talking…Jason Peters isn't going anywhere,IMO.

Well Kemp DOES have good arguments.Netting a round 2 we COULD spend on a replacement,but as you said,I don't believe the FO is willing to gamble the franchise QB just yet.Vaitai needs more reps(and other young-uns) before I would throw Wentz into the fire lol

2 people like this

What an EXCELLENT group of guys on this EMB!!! I get more quality news on here than anywhere else. I'm not going to name any names due to the fact of leaving someone out. THANK YOU ALL!!! :worthy:

I,for one,am glad you decided to join our group of insanity.And as I have stated many times before,Eagles fans are THE best informed in the league.Check other sites(I have) it's not even close lol

2 people like this

23 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:
  1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

TJ jumps in here on occaision(maybe out of boredom lol) Can't blame Briz,I avoid all the social media stuff too.DDD was our Mach 10 guru

Brizer was actually the one who started the Mach 10. DDD made his version on here coz Bri went there.

Those guys were big reason i joined up to this site. I was an Eagles fan but i didnt comment n enjoyed reading their conversations along with Spuds articles.

Stine is another old school dude you see post here n over there. Im not into that Facebook thing either so i cant post there anymore.

3 people like this

18 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

This is a horrible mock. None took Jamal Adams. Ramcyzck is missing as well. But he seems to be sliding in many mocks I have seen most recently. So I guess he is possible. Adams is elite. And everyone knows it. S is our strongest spot with holes everywhere on the team and we would have to take Adams.

Browns have said they are not looking at QB(why not???) But you know this is the time of year for head fakes,rumors and false news leaks lol