Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

713 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We still have 20 INVITES left,why we we not using them???? Time left yes,but hard to scout 20 guys in 3 days if we keep waiting

Agreed,you can't count on your coveted few being there when your on the board!

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

So I have been speculation that we could be looking to trade JP for a high draft pick....Where did this rumor come from???? Doesn't sound like there is any real evidence behind it but I have seen 2-3 articles about it 

I saw it too. I posted one of the articles- http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/4/2/15152290/eagles-news-jason-peters-nfl-trade-broncos-rumors-speculation-left-tackle-offensive-lane-johnson

I think due to it being so slow that the media is just going deeper to make articles. Speculating is just guessing,imagining.

1 person likes this

Well that and the JP rumor came out on April Fools Day ;)  I would be pretty upset if they let him go this yr, we're not ready.

2 people like this

16 hours ago, stine said:

Thanks, Not sure why any woman would want this old bag of bones, but she apparently doe not have good eyesight!

Either that or you do well without the aid of E.D. meds,LOL :lol:

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ouch! Merril Hoge just labeled Mixon a 'bouncer.' As in he always tries to bounce it outside. Won't stick it up in there.

I don't want that! It's a hard habit to break too.

2 people like this

15 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Wrang, good stuff ... now lets take a look since 1991...  by position.  See if you see anything glaring (like just flat out not drafting a position in 25 plus years with a 1st round pick)  IN MY WORDS = Following a STUPID NERDY FORMULA ...

26 drafts ..... 3 with no picks ... 1993 with 2 picks ...for a total of 24 players

OT = 6   ... OG = 2  ... OL = 8

DE = 5 ... DT = 5  .... DL = 10

WR = 3

QB = 2

CB = 1

Observations = A) 18 of the 26 picks were on the lines.

B)  You see TE, RB, LB & S completely ignored     

C) in 2007 & 2008 when we didn't have a 1st round pick.   We selected Kolb, Abiamiri, Laws and DeSean with the 1st 2 selections both years.  SAME positions, 2 DL, QB and WR.  

DISTURBING TREND?    TOO much on positional priority?   IDK, Graham instead of Earl Thomas ...etc.  So anyone want to rethink their predictions of RB, TE, LB or S with the first pick?  If they go that route, its a sure sign that Howie/Lurie let the new guy influence the draft.   Some may argue the postional priority idea bringing up the salary cap values.  Some may say you win in the trenches.  Some may say its a passing league.   That's just great, no argument here, just simply stating to ignore the better player because they play one of these other 4 spots is flat out dumb.  Look at the long term effects.  Now go look at the teams who you think draft well.  See how many S, LB, RB or TE they have drafted in round 1 since 1991?   

GREAT STUFF Joe!  It is disturbing! I hope they go for Douglas's recommendation. IMO,you take the very best player-within common sense,not a punter,etc-in the 1st Rd.

13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

3 -4 vs 4-3.  Fletcher Cox is your best player.   4-3 he can get doubled with the center.   3-4 with the NT occupying the center, you would have to double him with a OT at the line, kinda frees up your OLB to go vs a TE.  Otherwise you put in the RB.  Either way, it takes up a skill position guy.  You can go wide 9 with Cox, and the beautiful term of "one gapping" to show football knowlege (that's just great, said sarcastically) but how wide does he have to go to keep going outside the OG, eventually he gets in hte way of the edge rusher adn has to come back to where the center can get in the way.  Having the option of going either way and bull rushing the OG seems to be a better option to me.  Until we get another DL who commands the double team, not an overachieving Brandon Graham type who does it vs one guy.... then Cox will be taken out of the game by constant double teaming with some triple teams mixed in,  and the pass rush will struggle.  If he ever misses time, our DL will be toast!   Since the great Schwartz (may the Schwartz be with you) never blitzes.... gonna be a long game without some more studs up front.  

That's why I said in a post that we need as many high motor/stud DL-men as we can get for this D scheme to work or it'll never work cause DB's can only cover for so long,especially when you're facing a great QB.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Myles Garrett versus Derek Barnett. IMO If I had a choice between the two of them, I would take Barnett because of Schwartz's system. Barnett has the better motor and that is what Schwartz's defensive system demands more than anything. He doesn't blitz so the 4 linemen have to get there on their own. You need guys on the line with never stop motors.

Yep,Derek Barnett would be a great pick at 14.

11 hours ago, donpardo said:

Why trade Burton? He produces...Give him MORE TOUCHES!

Not to mention his ability to be a Leatherman multi-tool. If not for him,what would we had done for a LS that game that D-Boss hurt his wrist on ST coverage?

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, donpardo said:

Why trade Burton? He produces...Give him MORE TOUCHES!

Not to mention his ability to be a Leatherman multi-tool. If not for him,what would we had done for a LS that game that D-Boss hurt his wrist on ST coverage?

I don't understand the fascination with drafting a TE in the 1st. TE is one of the strengths of this team. I understand BPA but it has to be BPA with a little common sense thrown in.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Isn't it magnanimous of JJones to now allow other teams to talk w/ Romo? Who the h*ll does he think he's fooling? Treating Romo like crap with a smiley face. I hope they get stuck w/ Romos' full cap.

I can't stand that rich,arrogant SOB! He's pissin' down Romo's back & tellin' him it's raining! :nonono:

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Well that and the JP rumor came out on April Fools Day ;)  I would be pretty upset if they let him go this yr, we're not ready.

I would be :furious: too,this is a very important developmental year for Wentz & he needs that piece of mind for his confidence to know that he'll have substantial protection from the edges. I mentioned when I posted that speculation article on the JP trade-"Is this an April Fools joke?

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I don't understand the fascination with drafting a TE in the 1st. TE is one of the strengths of this team. I understand BPA but it has to be BPA with a little common sense thrown in.

TE to get in line since Celek only has limited time left. Have to also look toward the future when picking a stud in the 1st,IMO.

1 person likes this

The Roster finally got updated.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I will stick with my "positional theory" with the MS2 pick.  Howie was asked at the podium immediately after the pick if he was the highest rated guy on the board, he said there was a bunch of guys the same .... GEE, why do we think they took the pass rusher?   The TE, RB, S or LB never seem to be the guy chosen?  To me, since I've had this theory for a long time, it didn't make me feel good about the pick.  And I had Smith on my mach, thinking he would be one of the guys we take in round 2 after all the preseason draft work that you guys do on here.  Graham over Earl Thomas was the clincher for me, "follow the formula" what the truly ignorant people always do, life throws you curveballs, you can't follow a book all the time.  Take the F$%îng player!  Or it will catch up to you in the long run.  

Graham has always gotten pressure even when he sparingly played his first few years he was top 5 in the league in QB pressure percentage. I'm not sure what anyone's complaint is with him I will take a guy that is top 5 in the league in pressures any day. I don't care about his sack numbers as long as he is getting to the QB and making him move he is doing his job. If he had a good pass rusher across from him or a push up the middle to compliment him and get the QB when he had to move from his spot that would be great.

3 people like this

BREAKING NEWS-Via Ian Rapoport/NFL Net ticker-Tony Romo is retiring,going into broadcasting,maybe filling in for Lynch's position as one alternative. GMFB on NFL Net talking about it now.

1 person likes this

I just had a terrible thought! I was scanning the player visits and noticed that the only player with a Private visit, workout, combine and pro day meeting was John Ross from Washington. Do not get me wrong. This dude could work out to be a great WR. It is just that you do not ever reach with your first round pick! Ross is a real reach at 14!!!! If they do this, and I feel it is gonna happen, I will puke! If they want this dude, they had better trade back 6 spots and grab another pick in the process or I will lose all faith I have for HR as a GM. He is fast, and seems to have good hands. But he is small and one hit away from the IR. When is the last time DJax played a whole season? Ross is smaller than DJax....... I can see it now. Draft Ross Round one, Tankersley round 2, Sidney Jones round 3, Mixon and an unknown DE in round 4. Yes, this could work out for the Eagles. But it could also backfire big time and that seems to be the way of our Eagles.... Now I am depressed......

3 people like this

I just had a terrible thought! I was scanning the player visits and noticed that the only player with a Private visit, workout, combine and pro day meeting was John Ross from Washington. Do not get me wrong. This dude could work out to be a great WR. It is just that you do not ever each with your first round pick! Ross is a real reach at 14!!!! If they do this, and I feel it is gonna happen, I will puke! If they want this dude, they had better trade back 6 spots and grab another pick in the process or I will lose all faith I have as HR for a GM. He is fast, and seems to have good hands. But he is small and one hit away from the IR. When is the last time DJax played a whole season? Ross is smaller than DJax....... I can see it now. Draft Ross Round one, Tankersley round 2, Sidney Jones round 3, Mixon and an unknown DE in round 4. Yes, this could work out for the Eagles. But it could also backfire big time and that seems to be the way of our Eagles.... Now I am depressed......

The fact that they signed Jeffery AND Smith in FA makes me think they'll go a different way.

13 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I sort of like New England's philosophy. Each year they rate 15 college players as first round draft picks. All the rest of the players are second rounders or lower in their book. So when was the last time the Patriots had a 15 pick or higher? I don't know. If you think about it, they have been making due with second round players or less for a long time. Even if they had a first round draft pick, if it was below pick 15, in their minds they were drafting a second round talent unless one of their 15 guys fell to them.

This just doesn't even make sense. I could understand if you say THIS draft class only has X amount of first round talent. But saying every year only 15? First round is top 32 guys. You want to say some guys aren't scheme fit or whatever. That I understand. What is a guy they take at 25 considered? The point to really make is there are two tiers of the first round talent.Heck maybe even three tiers of talent(just depends on the year).

This whole philosophy Ham has to do with moving around in the draft. Nine times out of 10 in recent years the Patriots are drafting anywhere between pick number 29 to 32. They view it as a second round pick and don't mind trading the pick to move down to get more picks. They have had a lot of success drafting players below the first round and the more picks you can acquire to better chance for success.

BREAKING NEWS-Via Ian Rapoport/NFL Net ticker-Tony Romo is retiring,going into broadcasting,maybe filling in for Lynch's position as one alternative. GMFB on NFL Net talking about it now.

Glad Romo is retiring. Given his back problems playing 1 more year of football isn't worth being in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

2 people like this

I just had a terrible thought! I was scanning the player visits and noticed that the only player with a Private visit, workout, combine and pro day meeting was John Ross from Washington. Do not get me wrong. This dude could work out to be a great WR. It is just that you do not ever reach with your first round pick! Ross is a real reach at 14!!!! If they do this, and I feel it is gonna happen, I will puke! If they want this dude, they had better trade back 6 spots and grab another pick in the process or I will lose all faith I have for HR as a GM. He is fast, and seems to have good hands. But he is small and one hit away from the IR. When is the last time DJax played a whole season? Ross is smaller than DJax....... I can see it now. Draft Ross Round one, Tankersley round 2, Sidney Jones round 3, Mixon and an unknown DE in round 4. Yes, this could work out for the Eagles. But it could also backfire big time and that seems to be the way of our Eagles.... Now I am depressed......

Would it change your mind if you found out that Carson Wentz was the guy lobbying for Ross? Just asking!

18 minutes ago, stine said:

I just had a terrible thought! I was scanning the player visits and noticed that the only player with a Private visit, workout, combine and pro day meeting was John Ross from Washington. Do not get me wrong. This dude could work out to be a great WR. It is just that you do not ever each with your first round pick! Ross is a real reach at 14!!!! If they do this, and I feel it is gonna happen, I will puke! If they want this dude, they had better trade back 6 spots and grab another pick in the process or I will lose all faith I have as HR for a GM. He is fast, and seems to have good hands. But he is small and one hit away from the IR. When is the last time DJax played a whole season? Ross is smaller than DJax....... I can see it now. Draft Ross Round one, Tankersley round 2, Sidney Jones round 3, Mixon and an unknown DE in round 4. Yes, this could work out for the Eagles. But it could also backfire big time and that seems to be the way of our Eagles.... Now I am depressed......

The fact that they signed Jeffery AND Smith in FA makes me think they'll go a different way.

It would me also except both are one year deals essentially....

1 person likes this

I was sending my fiance' texts this AM only to just now realize I was sending all of them to my son! Talk about embarrassment.....

5 people like this

I was sending my fiance' texts this AM only to just now realize I was sending all of them to my son! Talk about embarrassment.....

Well, you love your son too! LOL

4 people like this

There has been a lot of opinions on how to rebuild this team to the point that we can compete for a Super Bowl. Who should we take with pick 14? BPA or BPA of need. Joe Douglas has already stated that he wants BPA and he expects to draft a potential Pro Bowl player. After reading that statement from Joe it got me to thinking about the number of Pro Bowl players on any given Super Bowl team and how that translated to Super Bowl Wins. Here is a list of the 8 Best Super Bowl Winning teams and the amount of Pro Bowl Players on each team

1. 1985 Bears - 9 Pro Bowlers
2. 1972 Dolphins - 10 Pro Bowlers
3. 1991 Redskins - 8 Pro Bowlers
4. 1984 49er's - 10 Pro Bowlers
5. 1999 Rams - 6 Pro Bowlers
6. 1989 49er's - 8 Pro Bowlers
7. 1975 Steelers - 11 Pro Bowlers
8. 1971 Cowboys - "BOO" 8 Pro Bowlers

I believe the best way to assemble a team with a lot of Pro Bowlers on it is to take the BPA in the draft versus the best player available of need. Maybe Joe Douglas believes the same thing.

2 people like this