Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

713 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

How long is Celek gonna be here??? Ertz is NOT a blocking TE

Celek couple of years ago made a ton of sense he was a good blocker(one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL) and he still was a threat in the passing game now he is pretty much just a blocker......If we wanted just an extra blocker why not just use a 6th OL go jumbo I wanted to use Dillon Gordon in this role....

1 person likes this

Damn can't believe Tony Romo is hanging up the cleats I honestly wanted to see Tony in Denver or Houston go out with a couple more big pushes in the playoffs.....Hated the man since he played in Dallas but was still hell of a QB earned that respect 

7 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I don't understand the fascination with drafting a TE in the 1st. TE is one of the strengths of this team. I understand BPA but it has to be BPA with a little common sense thrown in.

Honestly Eagles used two TEs the most in the NFL if you can get two guys that can dominate together on the field at the same time watch out..... OJ Howard is a special looking talent think he could be game-changing type player honestly if I am the Titans I would very strongly consider him TE is the QBs best friend and they already have a good one to pair him with in the older Walker......That Titans O could become very scary 

I have to laugh every time someone says, We don't need a TE because that is one of our strengths. Name the TE on our team that played in the pro bowl last year! O.J. Howard is projected to be a possible pro bowl TE at the next level. Whether we take him or not remains to be seen however it would be foolish to not even have him in the conversation at pick 14.

3 people like this

Romo has a clause that he can return to football at any time. The cowpies released him, still gets paid and have no hold over him.

1 person likes this

Just now, 1wrangler said:

I have to laugh every time someone says, We don't need a TE because that is one of our strengths. Name the TE on our team that played in the pro bowl last year! O.J. Howard is projected to be a possible pro bowl TE at the next level. Whether we take him or not remains to be seen however it would be foolish to not even have him in the conversation at pick 14.

To be fair TE is a strength IMO Ertz will for the first time have the same QB throwing him the ball that is HUGE and Trey Burton should keep improving and get used more this coming season

1 person likes this

TO your credit though Wrang I find it foolish that people don't think we can improve the unit which I think we can do this draft handful of really good TEs we could land even if it isn't OJ round 1 

1 person likes this

Personally I'd like to see Romo stay retired. Child on the way, believe I read after his last injury his wife wanted him to retire. He's been a good - not great - player. Did well in his last game vs us unfortunately, can leave the game with dignity.

I wouldn't say TE is a strength ... I would just say it's not a weakness.   That's a big difference to me.  At 14, I want the best player that can help change the game in my favor, ... OVER HIS CAREER, not just 2017.  We have an older Celek, we have Burton on a one year deal.  In 2018 we may need t oreplace both, and then TE will go from "not being a weakness, to BEING a weakness"!  If it turns out we pass on a possible generational impact TE that impacts the game with the hatrick of: blocking, deep routes and red zone target... simply because Tery Burton signed a tender and Celek is around for another year... and end up with a lesser impact player, then we will all have a higher chance of enjoying another full presidential administration without a playoff win.  I think some people haven't left 2004 yet ... but this team hasn't been close to that level since... 13 years ago, yet sometimes we act entitled like we are so close.  We aren't, the owner saying so .. FINALLY ... should be a sign.  Lets start getting good players in here!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

How long is Celek gonna be here??? Ertz is NOT a blocking TE

Celek couple of years ago made a ton of sense he was a good blocker(one of the better blocking TEs in the NFL) and he still was a threat in the passing game now he is pretty much just a blocker......If we wanted just an extra blocker why not just use a 6th OL go jumbo I wanted to use Dillon Gordon in this role....

I feel the same way about Celek as I do about Jason Peters. Loved what both of these players brought to the club and the leadership they have brought to the team. I also understand the attachment the fan base has to these guys. It is only human nature to want to see these guys finish their careers in Philadelphia. Where I differ with some in my opinion is that I would like these two guys to stick around until their careers are over "only" if it is not a detriment to rebuilding this team. Neither one of these guys are going to be on the club when they eventually win a Super Bowl. I believe it is time to move on and work on getting the guys in here that "will" be on the team when we win a Super Bowl.

2 people like this

My view on the draft has been the same get the best player we can upgrade any unit on our team....The only spot we should not be considering is QB we have our guy 

2 people like this

TO your credit though Wrang I find it foolish that people don't think we can improve the unit which I think we can do this draft handful of really good TEs we could land even if it isn't OJ round 1 

You may be correct. I won't dispute your comment at all. I just keep coming back to the statement from Joe Douglas when he said that he was going to take the BPA and expected to draft a future all pro in the first round. O.J. Howard qualifies as one of those picks. So does Derek Barnett and Rueben Foster if available.

1 person likes this

Wentz still needs JP, V is not ready for RT. Ask yourself if Celeks' play is down or is it he never had a chance to gel w/ Wentz, just like it took Wentz half the season to develop w/ Ertz. Also we go through this each of the past several yrs - at this point 1) are the replacements on the team?, 2) is it worth creating new holes at this time?, and 3) What else do we lose in the draft to make up for the situations we didn't need to create? There's a time to move on, imo now isn't it.

1 minute ago, mjkline1958 said:

Wentz still needs JP, V is not ready for RT. Ask yourself if Celeks' play is down or is it he never had a chance to gel w/ Wentz, just like it took Wentz half the season to develop w/ Ertz. Also we go through this each of the past several yrs - at this point 1) are the replacements on the team?, 2) is it worth creating new holes at this time?, and 3) What else do we lose in the draft to make up for the situations we didn't need to create? There's a time to move on, imo now isn't it.

Who says V is not ready for RT????? honestly not saying get rid of JP or even Celek but to say a guy is not ready based on what???? Last year play Big V showed he can play RT at a solid level and should only get better with more reps 

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

To be fair TE is a strength IMO Ertz will for the first time have the same QB throwing him the ball that is HUGE and Trey Burton should keep improving and get used more this coming season

It will be interesting with our new wide receivers on board to see if Ertz gets the same amount of opportunities for receptions as he did last year. Hopefully Wentz will go with the hot hands once we get down in the red zone. Ertz had 4 TD's last year. He has to get better at getting open in the end zone. JMO

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I feel the same way about Celek as I do about Jason Peters. Loved what both of these players brought to the club and the leadership they have brought to the team. I also understand the attachment the fan base has to these guys. It is only human nature to want to see these guys finish their careers in Philadelphia. Where I differ with some in my opinion is that I would like these two guys to stick around until their careers are over "only" if it is not a detriment to rebuilding this team. Neither one of these guys are going to be on the club when they eventually win a Super Bowl. I believe it is time to move on and work on getting the guys in here that "will" be on the team when we win a Super Bowl.

Wrang, I feel we wasted the careers of these 2 guys, by not doing things the right way, the proper way ... instead we did things the rushed half arsed way in order to just be at the "bronze medal" level.  Do not draft simply to replace your worst position.  Do not draft simply for position priority and leave out TE, S, RB and LB since 1988.  Accumulate the best players during a draft, fill in the holes in free agency.  Occasionally you will hit on a free agent that will play for you for a long time.  And as you do these things, the roster gets filled with better players.  From 2005 to 2008 .... Patterson, Bunkley, Laws and Abiamiri. ... all that investment in the DL, what did that get us?  I got us a 2011 Dream Team defense with such slop at LB & S.   Enough with that mentality.   Outside of QB, just get me the best player with each pick this year.  I trust that it will end up giving us positions of need, it has to with so many issues. 

3 people like this

as for Celek yea his play his down he is not the same TE he was and is not the receiving threat he once was and it isn't exactly like Celek was ever a top tier TE to begin with....As for JP I think his replacement is here on the team I have thrown my support for BIg V could be wrong but think he is going to be a good RT and thought he showed that last year and he should only keep getting better.....But again it has nothing to do with getting rid of guys IMO just that we can still upgrade the spots even though they are here.....

1 person likes this

Wrang ... when you look at the Eagles... at the TE position and you think, WOW... that's superbowl level right there?   Or do you just look at it and say ... "that's fine, lets go focus on other positions"  I say the second thing.   Ertz, not a great blocker, Celek doens't get open in man situations, he made a career of getting open vs zone.  They struggle to score in the red zone because neither is a big threat to make anyone nervous.  They are like the outside shooters who can score when left open, but don't create their own shot.  Alshon should change things, another big target would help too.  I'm just saying not to pass on the better player due to position.  

2 people like this

Eagles have officially address all position of need this offseason. What a move by Roseman getting Jerrigan. Draft is gonna be good.

4 people like this

The upside to me of getting rid of Peters is the ability to sign the DT Hankins and still get some $$ left over for anything else.  Plus if it lands us a day 2 pick that is used properly, its a smart move past this year.  Wentz from 2016 needed weapons.  His ability to avoid the rush is fine.  I'm not of the mindset to baby him, what is appealing about him to me is that he doesn't need to be babied.  I want him in control out there, use the playbook.  Peters is a guy I don't trust to stay healthy either.  

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

Eagles have officially address all position of need this offseason. What a move by Roseman getting Jerrigan. Draft is gonna be good.

Wow that is a hell of a trade get Jerrigan who fits well in our D IMO and all it cost us was swapping 3rds(we dropped down 25 spots) 

2 people like this

The upside to me of getting rid of Peters is the ability to sign the DT Hankins and still get some $$ left over for anything else.  Plus if it lands us a day 2 pick that is used properly, its a smart move past this year.  Wentz from 2016 needed weapons.  His ability to avoid the rush is fine.  I'm not of the mindset to baby him, what is appealing about him to me is that he doesn't need to be babied.  I want him in control out there, use the playbook.  Peters is a guy I don't trust to stay healthy either.  

We have jerrigan now. Move on from Hankins lol

2 people like this

My only question is "What other long term free agent players might we have on this team at the present time if Peters would have been released"? Players that would help us long term to get to the big dance. Peters and Celek are now stop gap players. Each year that they are on the team it keeps the Eagles from getting other long term players that will make a contribution to getting us where we want to go. So what I am trying to say is, they are prolonging the rebuild.

1 person likes this

Beau/Jernigan should make a good rational pair at DT 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

We have jerrigan now. Move on from Hankins lol

There you go!   

3 people like this

So Eagles lose 28 year old Bennie and signed for what 8m and we gained 24 year old Jernigan for swapping 3rds and he is at a modest what like 1.5m damn Howie is a master trader lol 

3 people like this