Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Franchise QB, Moves Promote Optimism

713 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  8 hours ago, trini said:

It the same story our Birds have won a few PAPER Championships. Howie has been magical, how is he finding money to sign these guys It has to play out on the field... Carson come's back with improved, disciplined Mechanics, develops great chemistry with the new guys... get a few players to shore up the D... Good Health... Few balls bouncing our way... A Bruising RB... The Wentz wagon rolls baby.

Never say never.I am old and have learned that.We lost 3 years under the devastating Chip regime.Lurie gave him his chance,but glad he did not wait all 5 years to get rid of this clown.Now we can actually begin building this team.And I will venture to say Pedersons year 2 is going to look alot better than Chips lol

yeah... we lost 7 years after the disaster 2005 season with more Andy Reid. We need to start drafting right. If the BPA on their board is a position that they haven't prioritized, due to their no championship winning philosophy of the last 20 plus years, ... this year I would like them to draft that player. TE, RB, LB or S, just take the player, it's not simply about 2017, you need to start doing things differently. While I would love to see DL, CB or WR taken first, if they take another position it is a good sign long term that change in philosophy is finally here.

Well we need a starting CB(possibly 2) to return Watkins to S where he is more proficient-JMO

36 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

BPA is all well and fine....especially when you stink and have a bunch of holes to fill. But at some point you have to complete the roster puzzle.

Right ... are we at that point?? That's pretty much the key question

IMO,no maybe next year,but we can fill over 1/2 the holes and start drafting players for depth and the future.This draft IMO is SUPREMELY important

2 people like this

Can't decide where we're weakest at. 7 CB's and only really know how Mills plays - a little slow. 11 WR's, good starters, unsure depth and developmental. We definitely need a #1 RB. We signed DE Long, but don't think that's the answer for the pass rush - can never have enough.  Although I would really like a dominant RB, just don't see one in the 1st w/ the depth at that position but would be ok with it. Still leaning CB or DE.

Disagree.Not privvy to "the plan" however it's possible we only retain ONE of the 2 WR's we got in here.if thats the case and Corey is there,then you CYA and dont need to worrk on that position for awhile

30 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Can't decide where we're weakest at. 7 CB's and only really know how Mills plays - a little slow. 11 WR's, good starters, unsure depth and developmental. We definitely need a #1 RB. We signed DE Long, but don't think that's the answer for the pass rush - can never have enough.  Although I would really like a dominant RB, just don't see one in the 1st w/ the depth at that position but would be ok with it. Still leaning CB or DE.

Disagree.Not privvy to "the plan" however it's possible we only retain ONE of the 2 WR's we got in here.if thats the case and Corey is there,then you CYA and dont need to worrk on that position for awhile

AKA JMatt(who I think we hang onto) and AG's contracts are up(JMatt stays,AG goes away.Basically we signed Alshon and Smith to 1 years(with 2 years options on Smith) So retaining BOTH would be nice,however expensive to do.Adding a top WR prospect just makes all kinds of sense.CB's going in round 3 this year,would have been round 1 ers any other.Very deep.We'll get a few lol.Losing Rmat and adding Charles as suggested by BR I could live with!!!! Still draft a RB,but now the pressure is off that position as well

1 person likes this

HAm... no doubt... but follow what I'm saying ... this is disturbing ove this long of a period. Because you know what is a priority to me .... winning a SB .... like Pitts, Balt, Seattle, Green Bay and NE have done. That's it. Nothing else. I don't care "how" its done. And that means that I would take players at those other positions when it's the best choice for that pick... certainly over 25 years it should have occured a few times. And while the debate over taking an RB first ... you showed a good case for "finishing" the offense by taking RB. My bigger picture outlook if they were to do that, means that they would finally be done with that QB, DL,OL, WR, CB position priority. That means more to me than "finishing the offense" (which I also see as a good thing in and of itself, just not at the expense of passing on a true stud defender if he is the better long term player in their mind)

2 people like this

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20144057/nfl_free_agency_2017_franchise_transition_tag_numb.amp

That being the case and we tagged Alshon,that's expensive (but MAY be worth it) We shall see!!!! So I'm still opting for Davis/Williams round 1.Getting Charles would be a great move,if we can pull that off.Now you have your future WR's in place,an effective RB(still draft one but later) and then you have 7 remaining picks in a deep class with positions we need to fill.If you look at my mock,it makes sense(especially if we acquire Charles) :)

1 person likes this

A problem that I have ... in regards to "need" drafting. IMO, looking at your worst position and drafting that position just because you think it "needs" the most help isn't a good way to contantly do things. For the Eagles... we have plenty of holes... and I would say CB is obviously the biggest concern and could be seen as the "worst" position. But I wouldn't draft Lito over Ray Lewis just because LB isn't as bad as CB. The idea of drafting Wentz was to lay the long term foundation of having that franchise QB in order to keep you competitive and so it could be easier to build around that piece. Each draft pick should be thought of as a building block, not necessarily to the degree of the QB, but with the same idea. Especially with the first pick. That player should be seen as a guy who holds down a position for a decade. Regardless of the position, it will help by being a position that's filled long term, and enable us to use assets elsewhere.

1 person likes this

HAm... no doubt... but follow what I'm saying ... this is disturbing ove this long of a period. Because you know what is a priority to me .... winning a SB .... like Pitts, Balt, Seattle, Green Bay and NE have done. That's it. Nothing else. I don't care "how" its done. And that means that I would take players at those other positions when it's the best choice for that pick... certainly over 25 years it should have occured a few times. And while the debate over taking an RB first ... you showed a good case for "finishing" the offense by taking RB. My bigger picture outlook if they were to do that, means that they would finally be done with that QB, DL,OL, WR, CB position priority. That means more to me than "finishing the offense" (which I also see as a good thing in and of itself, just not at the expense of passing on a true stud defender if he is the better long term player in their mind)

Joe very true.I have said(like DC suggested and I agree with) If Davis/Williams are gone and somehow Howard falls to us,I'd grab him.This would be a defensive nightmare since he can play TE or line up as a slot WR.Very talented TE and Celek ain't gonna be here forever

2 people like this

A problem that I have ... in regards to "need" drafting. IMO, looking at your worst position and drafting that position just because you think it "needs" the most help isn't a good way to contantly do things. For the Eagles... we have plenty of holes... and I would say CB is obviously the biggest concern and could be seen as the "worst" position. But I wouldn't draft Lito over Ray Lewis just because LB isn't as bad as CB. The idea of drafting Wentz was to lay the long term foundation of having that franchise QB in order to keep you competitive and so it could be easier to build around that piece. Each draft pick should be thought of as a building block, not necessarily to the degree of the QB, but with the same idea. Especially with the first pick. That player should be seen as a guy who holds down a position for a decade. Regardless of the position, it will help by being a position that's filled long term, and enable us to use assets elsewhere.

Sorry,If Trubiski fell to us(QB) I would still pass there lol,so I see this as a positional fill type draft(need vs BPA).We hit on our first 3 picks,we have a serious shot at contending in '18(even this year depending how it goes).Like i said we could lock up WR,or get the top TE(with some luck) and still LOTS of capable CB;s/RB's/DE's left.I would really like to get Glasgow in the 4th.That would take care of OT for awhile.Oline players are weakest this draft and why we bolstered that in the offseason

2 people like this

Like I said, the rookie salary cap has changed things. Anything before that doesn't really apply to today's NFL so much. But I don't just concern myself with the first round. To me a better evaluation is the first two days of the draft. Those first three rounds I'm trying to hit. To me that's usually the big dropoff...right around 80 or something.

Don't get me wrong I still expect a hit on day three.

So No Mas just for my curiousity who would you take Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis?

Really it just comes to great evaluators. Great evaluators already have their boards stacked so you can make that choice. Is there a dropoff of talent? Is this guy a difference maker? It has to be informed decision making.

2 people like this

Taking BPA or by need and anything in between doesn't matter if your evaluation Board sucks.

1 person likes this

But yes I think it is crucial to get a RB and give Pedey/Reich/Wentz this year. I think, like Alshon, as a second year HC Pedey is in the 'prove it' part of his contract/situation. Wentz isn't in his prime learning a new throwing motion this offseason but Peters and Johnson might only have one season left in them. All the WR are here for one year. Could be the swan song for Celek. Loaded up on the middle of the Oline with 3 C, Brooks and a handful of options at the other G spot. There may be no tomorrow for this coaching staff if they can't prove and avoid certain things in 2017. The offensive side has a good chance for long term growth.

1 person likes this

I know fans might not like it(I am not thrilled about the idea either) but Joe Mixon could end up being a real possibility for the Eagles.....Listening to Lurie and Doug doesn't sound like we are taking him off our board completely and he does fit well into Doug O.....

1 person likes this

As for the draft I think it is BPA approach and honestly find it hard that we won't take a DL I mean Thomas/Barnett/Taco one of the is likely to fall to us.....And again fans might not like it but think John Ross is high on our draft board as well and could be a real likely candidate at 14 for us also can't rule out Williams/Davis.....At 14 not thrilled with taking CB only guy I am all in for at CB is Lattimore who I have said I would be willing to be aggressive and move up for if he is in reasonable range.....Lastly the other 2 players I think we could have ranked highly LB Foster and Reddick   

1 person likes this

No, do BPA at positions and fill NEEDS.We are not yet in the position to take BPA just to take them.Get the holes plugged,then you can do BPA for decades.This is a great draft and deep for our specific needs.If we don't fill them now-WHEN????? Once you have a solid team BPA all the way,we're just not there yet.Losing RMat and getting Charles sure would be sweet!!!!

1 person likes this

Not in an argumentative mood today, going over pre-surgery stuff. I'm to the point in this draft that with Douglas and his crew we won't have another MS2 debacle. Also feel the draft will fill needs - basically a weighted board - unless of course an uber player falls to us. There are certain positions we'll fill, the order we fill them really depends on who goes before us and how the FO values what's left. Don't think Douglas is a drop back kind of guy - wants the best guys available. Also believe we will not trade up and lose picks in a draft this deep - get all the players we can. Douglas sets the board, he can also beat up Howie ;)

3 people like this

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:
  8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  11 hours ago, trini said:

It the same story our Birds have won a few PAPER Championships. Howie has been magical, how is he finding money to sign these guys It has to play out on the field... Carson come's back with improved, disciplined Mechanics, develops great chemistry with the new guys... get a few players to shore up the D... Good Health... Few balls bouncing our way... A Bruising RB... The Wentz wagon rolls baby.

Never say never.I am old and have learned that.We lost 3 years under the devastating Chip regime.Lurie gave him his chance,but glad he did not wait all 5 years to get rid of this clown.Now we can actually begin building this team.And I will venture to say Pedersons year 2 is going to look alot better than Chips lol

yeah... we lost 7 years after the disaster 2005 season with more Andy Reid. We need to start drafting right. If the BPA on their board is a position that they haven't prioritized, due to their no championship winning philosophy of the last 20 plus years, ... this year I would like them to draft that player. TE, RB, LB or S, just take the player, it's not simply about 2017, you need to start doing things differently. While I would love to see DL, CB or WR taken first, if they take another position it is a good sign long term that change in philosophy is finally here.

Well we need a starting CB(possibly 2) to return Watkins to S where he is more proficient-JMO

Watkins as a S. Went fulltime last year. Was a reason why we sucked at the backend when Jenkins moved to the slot. Slow to react Watkins. I hope we dont see Jenkins back in the slot coz he struggled last year.

3 people like this

The draft would be easy for me. Give me one of these 10 guys at 14 and I would be a happy camper. 1.CB Lattimore, 2. TE O.J. Howard 3. DE Derek Barnett 4. WR Corey Davis 5. WR Williams 6. RB Cook 7. RB Fournette 8. LB Rueben Foster 9. DE Myles Garrett 10. DE Solomon Thomas
IMO, One of these guys are going to be there at 14.

4 people like this

No, do BPA at positions and fill NEEDS.We are not yet in the position to take BPA just to take them.Get the holes plugged,then you can do BPA for decades.This is a great draft and deep for our specific needs.If we don't fill them now-WHEN????? Once you have a solid team BPA all the way,we're just not there yet.Losing RMat and getting Charles sure would be sweet!!!!

We have a lot of needs so really bpa works anyway. CB and RB are the most dire though. Then DT and S. Sproles leaving next year and Jenkins im sure not far behind him not to mention the lack of good depth at the safety position. If the eagles take peppers, cook, davis, Barnett, Foster or even howard I wont be upset. Only if they reach out of desperation for a player in the first like Humphrey or Conely. There is so much depth at corner and the two standout corners one being unreachable without giving up a lot and jones being injured. I just cant see it being a wise move.

So No Mas just for my curiousity who would you take Deion Sanders or Ray Lewis?

kind of redundant seeing as how none of the corners in this draft are as outstanding as they are being promoted to be.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20144057/nfl_free_agency_2017_franchise_transition_tag_numb.amp

That being the case and we tagged Alshon,that's expensive (but MAY be worth it) We shall see!!!! So I'm still opting for Davis/Williams round 1.Getting Charles would be a great move,if we can pull that off.Now you have your future WR's in place,an effective RB(still draft one but later) and then you have 7 remaining picks in a deep class with positions we need to fill.If you look at my mock,it makes sense(especially if we acquire Charles) :)

Hopefully we can work out a 4 year deal with alshon if he proves to be a good investment. Not sure about Charles though. I could see him very easily being out for the season in week 2. The guy does have a history of injury and I don't see that going away.